Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Over the past several months I've used this site and many others to learn everything I possibly can about Myers Briggs and particularly ENTPs. Anyway I thought this was enough self discovery time for my Ti and finally decided to join today because I've a got a theory as to why ENTPs have sporadic energy. I'm convinced there has to be a way to unlock our ENTP Energy at will, but I haven't been able to figure out how. But who better than a ton of ENTPs to crack a code of human behavior anyway? For more on what I mean take a look below.

My theory, or more precisely my ideas that I've mostly stolen from others and meshed together is this:

1. ENTPs at our best are unstoppable. Our bursts of energy can literally create a reality distortion field for ourselves and others that can enable us to be a catalyst to accomplish things in a short amount of time that nobody else had ever considered possible or even considered before.

2. However, we are extremely inconsistent because our ENERGY LEVEL is sporadic.

3. This has to do with our Best/Worst function Ne. Ne rules the others as we all know...

4. If our Ne comes across something extremely interesting or stressful this elicits a flight or fight response in our system that can feel like a jolt of energy or an adrenaline shot that enables us to focus on ONE PROJECT that we are either very passionate about it or ALMOST out of time to finish(Usually due to procrastination). If an ENTP is PASSIONATE AND Running against a hard deadline then we are nearly unstoppable!

5. Ne is extremely strategic and loathes tactical day to day operations. Ne doesn't understand that you have to be a soldier before you can be a General. In this way Ne can demotivate us because it can often overload our poor Ti. By the time our Ti begins to investigate the merits of an idea (Ti isn't exactly the fastest function in the world anyway) we've already moved well past it with more Ne crack/ideas.

Eventually our Fe pipes up, whoooaaa wait a second there buddy.... "These ridiculous ideas may have seemed like fun for the past 20 minutes (or hours), but in the REAL/Sensor World you haven't accomplished any of the things yet that you know you need to get done today". We're then forced to put up with our nagging Fe or else we're forced to do some boring ass mundane task. Either this sends our ENERGY level down. (Nap time anyone :))

6. So we do one of two things...

A) we do nothing and continue our Ne/Ti/Fe loop of random short ideas.

This can lead to:

i) us feeling like unproductive unorganized ADD dreamers (significant amount of the time)
ii) we may come across some random idea that incorporates a better way of doing one of the tasks/projects that will excite us enough to increase our ENERGY and lead to a "Breakthrough" of our daily routine
iii) we run up against a deadline which will lead to an ENERGY rush so that we can accomplish the most urgent task

B) Or we can learn to control our ENERGY ourselves. The only problem is I don't have the answer to how we can do this!!!

So here's the thing, I've read a few great ENTP motivational pieces already. Complete 3 things, Law of attraction, etc.

But that's not what I'm looking for! There are a few truly great ENTPs in the world who have surly been able to crack the code to unlocking ENTP ENERGY on COMMAND. Jobs, Tesla, Ben Franklin, perhaps. How insanely great would it be if we could develop a theory to help us be at our best more often? Imagine if you double the amount of time that you were at your ENTP best! Here's a chance to use our intuition and unique skill set to crack the code of our own strengths and weaknesses. As a clarification, I'm not trying to find a way to become a J (why would we want to be!), just a way to be an "A" version of ourselves more consistently. As ENTPs we were made to solve riddles like these! Don't worry about the Myers Briggs box, just use you Ne as if you were inventing a new way to do something. Unless you feel that you're not up to the challenge :)

I'll start us off:

Im sure the secret lies in somehow gaining more control of our Ne, and in finding a surefire way to manipulate / excite our own Fe as well as we can manipulate/excite others. The difficult part is its hard for our fe to manipulate itself. Maybe the best way to illicit our fight or flight ENERGY is through a Si manipulation (an exciting/traumatizing memory), if so that could certainly explain why controlling our energy can be difficult. Perhaps if we can temporarily "move" Si ahead of Fe (impossible to "literally" do I know) by giving complete concentration to a particular Energizing experience we can return our Fe emotions to a similar flight/fight state that they were in at the time that the energizing event occurred. This may have even worked for me in the past, but I think the problem is that if you "Overuse" the same event your Fe catches on. Maybe you need a collection of many different energizing memories that can be rotated in between. Maybe I'm completely off, but just wanted to get the ideas / solutions flowing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I found myself a lot more productive when I write a list of goals to complete every day and find a way of fitting them all in but in any order I choose as the day transpires. It doesn't feel draining because I am not following any kind of strict schedule (Si), it's not repetitive because I make sure to vary the tasks, it energises me because I have accomplished goals which make me feel like I am improving myself/challenging myself. The only problem with this is I need to make sure that over the course of 6 months or so I do need to introduce something completely new to my routine otherwise it still begins to feel repetitive and like I am possibly missing out on other things I could be trying out. Also I think making sure you spend time around people you can be yourself around is important to help you feel energised, as we are extraverts at the end of the day. I hate being around most people for extended periods, but when I am around people who get me then I feel awesome and feel content, and that gives me the energy to channel into my solitary activities/goals more. I think it's important for us to stay balanced and disciplined with refreshing ourselves with activities which make us feel energised. I know that if I am not careful I can neglect this need of mine, and begin feeling demotivated/depressed and then have to restart the whole process again, so I am working on being mindful of that tendency.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great points Assassin. I agree that hashing our ideas onto a list and completing the things I want when I want does seem to work. Unfortunately I seem to enjoy the idea of creating a list more than actually completing it. Sometimes I notice that I feel more energized if I force myself to do the 1 or 2 things first that I'm most dreading, so that I don't have those thing hanging over me all day.

I also agree with what you say about spending time extra extraverting with friends. Not doing this definitely is an energy zap.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I've found I really just need an outlet-- a place I have the freedom to constantly innovate and an audience to share it with. When I was teaching 2nd grade, I was at a school where I basically had free reign in my classroom. I would come in in the morning with only the slightest hint of an idea of what I'd be doing for lessons and over the course of the day I'd have inspirations, which is why I left the funnest subjects like Science and Math for the end of the day-- so I could come up with amazing ideas and throw them together in the 5-10 minutes before the class. It let me be just constantly coming up with the most original, amazingly awesome ideas and putting them into action immediately. I felt so fulfilled and in my element. But now I'm in the library and there's not that same opportunity. I mean, every once and awhile I'll be inspired to create a cool book display or poster or something, but it's like once a month instead of 4-5 times a day. So I find myself with very little energy and all over the place-- trying to do a million things and learn a million things in my free time and just bouncing from one thing to another but having no way to bring my ideas to fruition and just never feeling satisfied. It's frustrating.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure most ENTPs here can definitely relate Devin87. I think that when you were teaching 2nd grade you knew you had to perform almost constantly. Even while performing you had to simultaneously plan for the next lesson and your Ne, Ti and Fe were probably constantly engaged and having a field day, which probably had you in a constant flight or fight, ENERGY mode. I think a key I forgot to mention yesterday for us is for us to be able to inspire others and ourselves and it sounds like you were able to do that when teaching 2nd grade.

We're kind of jacks of all trades, do you feel that what you are doing is too, specific and narrow now? I still think there's got to be a way to get us excited, get our heart beating, produce an "artificial" stimulus that can provide us with energy when we're "in the library" so to speak. Maybe it's an elusive holy grail, but I refuse to believe it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this website (this is my first post!) but I thought I might as well jump in since this is an idea I find really interesting. I'm a university student and I've had to deal with most of the entp issues- poor time management, procrastination and lack of motivation leading to depression and bad gpa etc. After doing some research on this I started experimenting.

My theory was maybe I have too much free time... Maybe I need to be more busy so I am in that constant excited state- kind of tricking myself into that last minute deadline mode except all the time. So after continuosly adding courses to my schedule these past few quarters I've found myself a thousand times happier and more productive. The variety of classes that I am taking helps me as well. I constantly have something to do in several subjects so I am not stuck on one thing all the time leading to boredom, distraction and procrastination.

I am now on a ridiculously vigorous schedule taking unit maximum and auditing a class. I decided I still had too much time so I joined a casual club sports team and signed up for volunteering 4 hours a week. And I am doing a thousand times better than when I did nothing and had only three classes. xD My entpness is at optimum performance as long as I can keep up with what I am learning.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Reactions: GoldenApple

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
In my late teens, early twenties, I don't think I had a whole lot of control over those ups and downs. At that point, it was best to realize when I had an "up" period and ride it hard as I could make myself interested in whatever I wanted to. Basically, try and be productive for things you know you need to get done, terms papers, homework, etc...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe the best way to illicit our fight or flight ENERGY is through a Si manipulation (an exciting/traumatizing memory), if so that could certainly explain why controlling our energy can be difficult. Perhaps if we can temporarily "move" Si ahead of Fe (impossible to "literally" do I know) by giving complete concentration to a particular Energizing experience we can return our Fe emotions to a similar flight/fight state that they were in at the time that the energizing event occurred. This may have even worked for me in the past, but I think the problem is that if you "Overuse" the same event your Fe catches on. Maybe you need a collection of many different energizing memories that can be rotated in between.
My negative (or "traumatizing, for those with a dramatic bent) memories tend to pull energy away from me rather than towards me. They also make me a depressed and antisocial asshole. I've never tried thinking about past negative experiences actively before attempting a goal, so this rumination on past events has been passive rather than active. It could be that my mind revisits unpleasant places automatically as a strange means of escaping from the present moment.

Perhaps it could be stimulating if it were an active channel of thought. I'll have to try it. I don't know how focusing on a positive experience could help me get the energy to do things in the here and now. If I were thinking about how much fun I had on my last vacation, I would end up wishing I were anywhere but *here*, or I would end up planning my next vacation instead of working, lol!

Reactions: EntpGator

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input GoldenApple. It was pretty late as I finished up my OP and I agree that a negative / traumatizing experience may not be a good way to go :)

I wonder if a key may be trying to make a Ne connection with a current pressing/dreaded task by trying to relate it to a "loosely similar" past idea (Si) that you DO/Did find interesting, part of which can be plugged in to help with the current task at hand. If we can "connect the dots" with a previous rewarding experience that may increase our ENERGY because we'll be tweaking / improving either the current process itself or the end result of the "boring task".

This is probably easier said than done, and all ENTPs do this all the time, but the key would be finding a way to do this for something that we truly find boring and routine, by being quick and creative enough to make reliable and relevant "connections" to past Si exciting events that we can further build upon.

I wonder if this could turn some of the boring / routine into a strategy/game, which we happen to be very good at.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Those are the funnest to teach, at least. Reading you sit there and read. Science and math you get to use manipulative and create things and do messy/crazy experiments and you just have more opportunity to be more hands on and make more exciting discoveries.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another possible idea:

I travel a lot as a recruiter, but when I'm in the office I find that I tend to take very little breaks during the day. Sometimes I'll even skip lunch (I'm going to finish this one last thing and then I'll take my lunch, which never happens). I think in my head I always think I'm just so close to reaching an epiphany. Anyway, I think this zaps my ENERGY and actually makes me less productive sometimes. I don't really enjoy lunch or eating (if I could take a pill for sustenance I would because it seems like a waste of time that I could be spending creating something meaningful), BUT obviously our bodies need good nourishment for energy AND mentioned before we also derive our energy from hanging out with friends and people we like.

BTW: to anyone remotely interested enough to read this thread, my hope is that you can help us leverage your Ne & Ti to piece together some ideas / theories based off of your personal experiences and the experiences previously posted so that we develop a model for turning ON our ENTP ENERGY on and OFF. Please reply if you think there is anything you can add or contribute!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why not use an NLP anchoring technique to anchor our sense of urgency and alacrity? If i spent enough time I could probably harness it with just a little practice. I can summon the feeling through remembering because I remember it recently I just have to find a hook for it and I'm all finished up.

Does any body else study NLP and can figure out a good anchor for this state?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
For me, I need to be in Productive Mode (just get it done under stress) and just keep going. When I relax I can "lose" the drive and become lethargic and confused. Procrastination sets in. I almost believe that that is how the Js do it: They just see tasks that they need fixed and DO NOT HAVE TIME/ABILITY to see big picture. To gain control in this case you just work off tasks on the list until they are few enough to hold in RAM. ENTP procrastination is often due to the faxt that we have a "strategy" for how to do it in time already in our head. Or at least a pre-concieved strategy to make the strategy that can work in time. Got it? :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lenore Thomson's suggestion for this in Personality Types: An Owner's Manual is to work on and develop the second function: introverted thinking.

"The full maturation of an ENTP usually depends on the type's willingness to use Introverted Thinking for perspective on—as well as support for—the aims of dominant intuition...When they learn to apply Introverted Thinking to their own behaviors, they being to work their will on the inner rather than the outer world. They develop more self-discipline, and they recognize their responsibility to others in the larger scheme of things. ENTPs who manage to do this are natural leaders, humanitarians, whose efforts may extend beyond their own lifetime to change the way we understand reality...ENTPs need to turn deliberately to their secondary function in order to realize their full potential...A self-disciplined ENTP is extremely attractive to others, because people sense the kind of power that has been harnessed to the task. Once Introverted Thinking is helping to balance Extraverted Intuition, ENTPs begin to draw from their less-developed functions more consciously—to recognize the value of others beyond their immediate utility and to stick with something until it is fully realized."

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Various approaches to the situation as it relates to energy. Communication and the sharing of ideas is probably the easiest way for me to create energy. Associate with intuitive is an easy way that I have found to maintain a high level. Energy seems to circulate in the right associations versus become a closed circuit. There is the spark of creation of an idea or notion and this needs a logical outrush outlet. That outlet has to have the ability to volley back the spark with either an additional input (it could be negative or positive in nature in terms of the spark) or more input. The topics that seem to fuel my own interest resolve around a wide variety of topics... philosophy, technology, empowerment, development, and other pursuits in consciousness. It is important to consider the dynamics behind the loop of creating a spark to understand continued expansion of the energy. Ne -> Ti -> Fe... part of the logical development of an ENTP is understanding growing into a comfort around Fe. In order to replenish and refresh outlook there must be a level of understanding associated with the power of Fe. Without positively re-enforced Fe development there can be a pause in the creation of ideas. Ne is powered by the energy of Fe and the more refined, understood, and accepted the value of its currency the more creative one can be in building ideas.

Reactions: ROBIDA

·
Registered
73 Posts
Uh dudes... I already made an anchor for the state and relaxing it. I am using it right now to clean my house. Wanna know how I know it's working? First, I don't clean, at least not in a continuous stream. Second, I am hardly ever a self starter unless I am in the state. Third, I feel really good and accomplished at this second.

What you have to do is remember a time when you were in the energetic state while making a phyisical, mental, emotional, and/or visual marker. Make the marker a simple gesture, something usually involving the hands. Most likely a time when you were against the wall like having a deadline that is almost up, a sudden unexpected task, or a time when you felt overwhelmingly focused and energetic about a project. Remember it as best you can and really get emotional about it if you can. Recognize the fullness of the feeling and thought process and tie it to your marker as best as you can.

Shake it off and relax. While relaxing anchor this state too. Remember relaxing while making a marker. Recollect a a time when you were so relaxed. Feel and think it fully.

Now go back the the Focused Energy state and use your marker to help you summon it.

Change between these two states continuously until you feel more comfortable with using the markers alone. Use the markers often so they will stay sharp and grow more effective with time.

And that is how you anchor the ENTP focused energy state.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey everyone! Over the past several months I've used this site and many others to learn everything I possibly can about Myers Briggs and particularly ENTPs. Anyway I thought this was enough self discovery time for my Ti and finally decided to join today because I've a got a theory as to why ENTPs have sporadic energy. I'm convinced there has to be a way to unlock our ENTP Energy at will, but I haven't been able to figure out how. But who better than a ton of ENTPs to crack a code of human behavior anyway? For more on what I mean take a look below.

My theory, or more precisely my ideas that I've mostly stolen from others and meshed together is this:

1. ENTPs at our best are unstoppable. Our bursts of energy can literally create a reality distortion field for ourselves and others that can enable us to be a catalyst to accomplish things in a short amount of time that nobody else had ever considered possible or even considered before.

2. However, we are extremely inconsistent because our ENERGY LEVEL is sporadic.

3. This has to do with our Best/Worst function Ne. Ne rules the others as we all know...

4. If our Ne comes across something extremely interesting or stressful this elicits a flight or fight response in our system that can feel like a jolt of energy or an adrenaline shot that enables us to focus on ONE PROJECT that we are either very passionate about it or ALMOST out of time to finish(Usually due to procrastination). If an ENTP is PASSIONATE AND Running against a hard deadline then we are nearly unstoppable!

5. Ne is extremely strategic and loathes tactical day to day operations. Ne doesn't understand that you have to be a soldier before you can be a General. In this way Ne can demotivate us because it can often overload our poor Ti. By the time our Ti begins to investigate the merits of an idea (Ti isn't exactly the fastest function in the world anyway) we've already moved well past it with more Ne crack/ideas.

Eventually our Fe pipes up, whoooaaa wait a second there buddy.... "These ridiculous ideas may have seemed like fun for the past 20 minutes (or hours), but in the REAL/Sensor World you haven't accomplished any of the things yet that you know you need to get done today". We're then forced to put up with our nagging Fe or else we're forced to do some boring ass mundane task. Either this sends our ENERGY level down. (Nap time anyone :))

6. So we do one of two things...

A) we do nothing and continue our Ne/Ti/Fe loop of random short ideas.

This can lead to:

i) us feeling like unproductive unorganized ADD dreamers (significant amount of the time)
ii) we may come across some random idea that incorporates a better way of doing one of the tasks/projects that will excite us enough to increase our ENERGY and lead to a "Breakthrough" of our daily routine
iii) we run up against a deadline which will lead to an ENERGY rush so that we can accomplish the most urgent task

B) Or we can learn to control our ENERGY ourselves. The only problem is I don't have the answer to how we can do this!!!

So here's the thing, I've read a few great ENTP motivational pieces already. Complete 3 things, Law of attraction, etc.

But that's not what I'm looking for! There are a few truly great ENTPs in the world who have surly been able to crack the code to unlocking ENTP ENERGY on COMMAND. Jobs, Tesla, Ben Franklin, perhaps. How insanely great would it be if we could develop a theory to help us be at our best more often? Imagine if you double the amount of time that you were at your ENTP best! Here's a chance to use our intuition and unique skill set to crack the code of our own strengths and weaknesses. As a clarification, I'm not trying to find a way to become a J (why would we want to be!), just a way to be an "A" version of ourselves more consistently. As ENTPs we were made to solve riddles like these! Don't worry about the Myers Briggs box, just use you Ne as if you were inventing a new way to do something. Unless you feel that you're not up to the challenge :)

I'll start us off:

Im sure the secret lies in somehow gaining more control of our Ne, and in finding a surefire way to manipulate / excite our own Fe as well as we can manipulate/excite others. The difficult part is its hard for our fe to manipulate itself. Maybe the best way to illicit our fight or flight ENERGY is through a Si manipulation (an exciting/traumatizing memory), if so that could certainly explain why controlling our energy can be difficult. Perhaps if we can temporarily "move" Si ahead of Fe (impossible to "literally" do I know) by giving complete concentration to a particular Energizing experience we can return our Fe emotions to a similar flight/fight state that they were in at the time that the energizing event occurred. This may have even worked for me in the past, but I think the problem is that if you "Overuse" the same event your Fe catches on. Maybe you need a collection of many different energizing memories that can be rotated in between. Maybe I'm completely off, but just wanted to get the ideas / solutions flowing.

I am currently in the same spot as you , typical entp problems. Im at a job with a lot of structure and routine tasks and I have not been procrastinating this much in life ever.
If I think back to my childhood years or early teens - I was always doing something. And was very energetic about it. I think we can maybe learn a bit from this. Back then when I felt the urge to do
something I did it. And also because it's a quick project I feel achievement. This completes the loop. Someone before me spoke of Ne -> Ti - Fe. And I think this is how it should go. We get an INSPIRED urge to do something, we think and analyse and do it , then marvel in the results.

The sole reason why im currently so low in energy is because I rarely get these urges now but when I do , im at the office stuck and cannot jump on them , also because I have to work on long projects ( few months ) there is never a sense of fullfillment or completion. The my Fe is never satisfied. Im stuck in the Fe mode of wanting
release , thus what do I end up doing ? I lay around lazy waiting for something to please me. And restarting this loop is hard.

So I think, we can harness the ENTP energy more , by actual balance. Remove the junk (rat race jobs, people controlling us etc) and your energy sappers will go away and you will naturally gain more energy again. However yes we do need to learn to be more disciplined - but I also heavily believe if you
do something inpriring and quickly too , you dont need discipline.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts