Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been discussed before.
I'm Gen Y. However, I find that the way I talk is completely different from the way a lot of younger Gen Yers do, and it makes me feel snobbish. I don't even like the word snobbish. Anyone else find this too? For example, I don't use a lot of the slang, or know how to use the slang they do. I also realize that different areas will have different slangs and such, but just in general. It may also be interesting to know how it's different for different regions.

What do you think the differences are compared to older generations?
Do you find you have trouble relating to Gen Y because the way of speaking is different?
Do you think the differences create a possible barrier in relating with Gen Y or younger?

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Other than L33T (leet) speak and acronyms, I can't really think of any other differences.
Some of us are also able to type upside-down using numbers and figures when using a Nokia phone as well.

I think that clear communication is the best to break any barrier between generations.

·
Banned
379 Posts
My sister is only 4 years younger than me and she had to translate a lot of things for me. Yeah, I think that shows how different we are in our language.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Maybe it depends on where and how you've been raised? I'm pretty sure I've heard even an old person in town use language that I would quite simply just frown upon because I as a whole wouldn't speak like that xDD

·
Registered
150 Posts
Pah, I still don't understand a lot and I'm technically Gen Z. New words and ideas are generated almost everyday, and what phrases and references that are absent one day will be popular for the following months! It's something you have to keep a close eye on to keep up with.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Yeah, like, I totally don't get why, like, kids these days speak like this, like they can't even stop themselves, like it's compulsive (sorry, is this too advanced?). Like it sounds so stunted, like they don't even know how to express themselves unless it's with, like, simple sentences, and like, oh god, the death of subordinate clauses, and like, the pitiful working vocabulary.

I find it irritating but it doesn't stop me from relating to people. Honestly, it's not easy retaining your natural pattern of speech WHEN LIKE EVERYONE YOU HANG OUT WITH, LIKE, TALKS LIKE THIS. If this makes me a snob then so be it. I'm frequently praised by my peers and elders alike for being expressive and eloquent. I'll bet I wouldn't sound eloquent in an earlier age. My penmanship is reputed to be amazing as well, but compared to some handwriting by the older generation (especially those who could use flexible fountain pens), it's not remarkable at all. Times change, values change. But it doesn't bother me too much, because when people hear me speak they think I'm fucking smart. Whether I'm actually smart is immaterial because an average person in the 50s probably sounded leagues smarter.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Slang terms can be generational, and terms having to do with the technology of one's time can indicate age (not always, but most kids today don't know what a mimeograph is, and the elderly are probably not sure what 'storing data in the cloud' means).

Other than that kind of stuff, I don't think I differ from other generations much. I have always read materials from various time periods and integrated a lot of different elements into my vocabulary and style, so I don't think I'm a perfect example of any one generation. I tend to use words that some people my age think are old-fashioned. I even had a coworker ask if I was raised by my grandparents because of the old terms I used (I wasn't; just was exposed to a lot of media from the past).

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I personally don't have a lot of trouble understanding some slang; but what refers to Internet idioms (LMAO, ROLF, etc.) I have to have a translator, usually a friend, to explain to me the meaning and use of those terms. And the problem is that this kind of language is being extrapolated to the real world, in documents, conversations, etc. God bless the day these kids enter the workforce and present a report using this kind of language.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts