Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By popular demand! (o.k. - - it was only 1 person) / / I am creating a "The Legend of Korra" (TLOK) character typing thread!

Enneagram it up, people! :D

I'll kick off the game by typing some of "The Legend of Korra" characters, then I would love for others to join in and type some of the characters from the television show as well! Feel free to type other TLOK characters that I did not mention.

BEGIN!

Korra: counter phobic 6w7
Mako: 6w5
Bolin: 7w6 (I'm positive! I know a fellow 7w6 when I see one!)
Asami: 2w3
Kuvira: 8w9
Tenzin: 1w9
Pema: 9w1
Varrick: 7w8
Zhu Li: 1w2
Lin Beifong: 8w9
Suyin Beifong: 4w3
Jinora: 5w6
Ikki: 6w7
Meelo: 7w8
Kya: 2w1
Bumi: 7w8

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Korra... Hmmmmm... God... I don't know. She has a huge sense of responsibility and does demand trust.... But then trust is key when you're the only one able to do your job based on spiritual connections. Yeah actually, I think I agree with you. I don't see much 7.... I mean I do, but nothing to write home about. She's confident, she's brash, she was fearless. 6w5 could fit too I guess. When she vanished, it could be an 8 side of her talking with her 6 side. Not feeling right for the responsibilities of the avatar, she went and hid. Also combined with the 8 feeling as not wanting to be seen as weak. That's why she didn't talk to any of her friends or family after the trauma. She didn't like feeling that way. Hence why she got into pit fighting. 6w7 8w9? 6w5 8w7? I could see that too.

Mako... Yeah. A 6w5. Like Korra, he has this huge sense of responsibility. I didn't really like Mako all that much because of the way he acted. He was okay I guess, but.... URGH! Yes, you can hear those frustrations coming out that I usually get over 6s. I'm trying to describe this here... He had his job and was very dutiful. He was more dutiful than he was emotional and Korra didn't like his lack of expression. How he acted with Asami and Korra though conflict what I'm thinking. If anything, his reckless behaviour made him seem less like a 6. He's definitely one, but I just can't even explain it right now, I'm just rambling.

Bolin... Now here's where I have less of an idea. In my mind he was just too concerned about people. He was irresponisble, but still very concerned. He tried his best when it came to his job, even though it was against what could have been seen as his morals. When he realised it was completely against his beliefs though, he spent no time rebelling (6?). I can't see him as a 7 for that reason. He's definitely a 7 somewhere, but I'm thinking a 2w3? 6w7? He was very feeling orientated in a way I couldn't see a 7.

Asami. Yep, a 2 or 3. Concerned about her career and her future and was willing to take everything from her father and make it better. Very skilful and innovative too. That type of person who would easily climb the entrepreneurial ladder. One thing that made her a 2 was that she wasn't ever bad. She wasn't ever spiteful, just nice. From Varrick to her father, the way she held her grudges was very particular. She was supportive 100% and would put the needs of the others above her own. I would have said 2w3 but then I started seeing 3w2. Nah, I'd say 2w3.

Kuvira.... Maaan that woman was such and 8w9. Calmly pulverises entire armies. Won't let the other half stop her from her goals. Yup, 8w9.

Tenzin. An actual 1. A real 1! Yes! I know no examples of actual 1s and then there's Tenzin. I can't even argue with you on this one XD Everything he did was such a 1. 'We have to do this!' 'We need to do it this way!' 'We can't let our new nation be ruled by a lair and a theif!' Haha!

Pema. 9w1.... I would have said 2, but yeah, she seemed like a 9. Maybe a 9w8? 9w1s and 1w9s are such rare gems, I don't even know with them, nevermind as a couple.

Varrick. Yes, here is where it gets even more interesting. The man was a genius! A SEVEN DOUBLE-U 8 GENIUS! Yes! This is what we needed! When he said to Zhu Li about how he was suddenly getting concern for others is such a 7w8 thing to say, I can't even. We do reckless stuff with what appears to be completely random, but we're actually calculating everything as we do it because we're that amazing. He also didn't give two thoughts about how Zhu-Li felt until she called him out. And even then he still struggled to comprehend that he would have to sacrifice his servant.

Now that you mention it, Zhu-Li was very calm and collected, but stern. She'd keep it together no matter what happened, but her last straw was when she almost died. Another 1.... How did I not notice this? I always thought she was too void of character to type, but that's just how 1s are. Always keeping order and being the opposite of us reckless 7w8s. I agree with you again!

Yup. An 8w9 like Kuvira. Notice the similarities anyone? Unlike Tenzin, she was a different type of stubborn. Actually, now I'm thinking 8w7? She was out of touch with her emotions, but would have these short bursts of anger. She'd get grouchy whenever anyone tried to see into her (Yes, 8s and their hatred of weakness) and didn't appreciate concerned questions from Opal. She felt bad about it after though. Contrasting with her more free-spirited sister in the past made her hold these grudges for a ridiculous amount of time (cough cough like her mother).

I would have said 2 for Suyin. She was always caring and willing to accept her sister back despite whatever happened however long ago. But when you look at her past and think about that whole 'Destroy Kuvira and her entire army' thing, you can't really argue with the '4' thing. I would have said 2w3, but she had no trouble letting her emotions get to her and unlike her sister, would just let them out whenever she felt like it (Those ENFJs...). No wonder the two of them clashed so much, they were literally opposites.

Jinora as a 5.... Yes. Just yes. No other suggestions.

Ikki seems like a 6w7 to me. She is likeable and has no filter. Her brother on the other hand. Yes, Meelo is another 7w8. Concerned with 'o-manly manness' and being as mischievous as possible. If Aang was younger, he'd be like a 7w6 version of Meelo.

Kya is just like her mother :p And Bumi is just like Bumi. Naturally, they'd have the same types.

You forgot Kai! 6w7. Responsible, but irresponsible at the same time. Spent his childhood surviving by himself and using her prankster 7 ways to con and thieve his way through the world. Can rely on himself very well and adapts like a 7. But when he was accepted to the Air Temple, he was very emotional about Jinora and concerned about how well he fitted in. The time skip also showed him being way more like a 6.

I can't write as much about the Krew as the Gaang, but I spent the past hour on these. Bloody Hell, I love this series so much!

Reactions: o0india0o

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bolin... Now here's where I have less of an idea. In my mind he was just too concerned about people. He was irresponisble, but still very concerned. He tried his best when it came to his job, even though it was against what could have been seen as his morals. When he realised it was completely against his beliefs though, he spent no time rebelling (6?). I can't see him as a 7 for that reason. He's definitely a 7 somewhere, but I'm thinking a 2w3? 6w7? He was very feeling orientated in a way I couldn't see a 7.
I'm going to respond to the other characters (we agree about most of them) - - but I felt I needed to specifically address Bolin in a separate post.

I think you're misunderstanding just how different us 7w6 are from you 7w8. I have tons of 7w6 friends, and most of us are just like Bolin. I think many Enneagram type 7 descriptions have an 8-wing leaning (most Enneagram type descriptions seem to lean more towards one wing or the other).

7w6 vs. 7w8

"- generally, the 7w6 is more grandiose and fantasy prone; the 7w8 is more grounded and earthy. 7w6s tend to have wild, fantastic imaginations while the 7w8s desires and thoughts tend to be more realistic and material in nature. the 7w6 dreams of traveling to far off magical lands while the 7w8's desires run more towards the "sex drugs and rock n roll" side of life. as such, the 7w6 is likely to be criticized as unrealistic or childish while the 7w8 is more likely to be criticized as base or shallow. compare Peter Pan to Quentin Tarantino
- 7w6 struggles more with the avoidant and over thinking aspects of type 7; 7w8 struggles more with the impulsive side of 7. 7w6s don't generally think or care much about how people feel about them, but their 6 side will have a tendency to look back, think "oh no! did they have a point? did I miss something?" and they are more apt to trap themselves in a "mental hamster wheel" of sorts. the 7w8 on the other hand has a default strategy of "screw it, let's roll bitches!" and are more likely to jump into less than ideal situations and suffer consequences because they didn't think things through long enough.
- 7w8s thrive on conflict and playful aggression. 7w6s can generally hold their own in conflict and even enjoy it sometimes, but the 7w8 thrives on intense conflict whereas, after a point, the 7w6 will say "this isn't fun anymore" and attempt to leave. (conflict for a 7w6 is generally more of a means to an end, whereas it sometimes is the end for a 7w8 looking for "amusement")
- the 7w8s interaction style tends to be edgier and have more of a "rile people up" style to it than the 7w6, who has a more delicate touch. 7w8s by nature are very intense people, and this can be rattling to those with more delicate sensibilities
- 7w8s are intensity junkies by nature. they tend to be attracted to things like extreme sports, rough housing/sparring and generally don't mind a little pain. the 7w6 on the other hand has a much lower pain tolerance, and it is something they tend to avoid whenever possible."

(Citation: http://personalitycafe.com/type-7-forum-enthusiast/105770-7w6-7w8-differences.html)

I have not watched "The Legend of Korra" as recently as "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (so I don't have all the direct quotes or as many specific examples), but Bolin embodies that bubbly, childlike-side of type 7 (usually 7w6). He is the comedic relief (which is almost always type 7's in t.v. shows); quick witted. He has plenty of energy, and is always reframing situations into the positive (just like a type 7). Being concerned about people and relationships/feelings is what the 6-wing brings to a type 7. Bolin is also impulsive, becomes a "mover star" (i.e. movie star), can be shallow and hedonistic. I just love seeing the scenes with Bolin and Verrick, because you get to see such clear contrasting examples of 7w6 and 7w8;; I enjoy so much watching their type 7 energy feed off one another. Bolin is also quick to express any and all emotions (type 7), and blurts out whatever is on his mind (type 7).

Last, here are a few blurbs from other "Legend of Korra" typing forums (you have to scroll through to get to the occasional Enneagram typing post):

Bolin Type 7w6
Legend of Korra

Bolin Type 7w6
http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/91788-avatar-legend-korra-3.html

AND, Bolin Type 7w6
http://personalitycafe.com/guess-type/420842-legend-korra.html

BAM! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More 7w6 vs. 7w8 differences. . .

Excerpt:

"7w6s are dependent. They have a support group of friends and family that they turn to when they are blindsided by the uncomfortable aspects of reality. They often lash out and throw tantrums over relatively trivial stuff. They make mountains out of molehills but are never so funny and entertaining as when they complain about those molehills. Having a support group for them is a buffer against turning to more self-destructive forms of escape in order to handle their problems. Others help them to manage their emotions as 7w6s are much better at complaining about their problems than they are with taking action, fruitlessly running in place for years on end talking about where they are headed but never actually getting there. It's not that 7w6s aren't capable of independence. They just aren't as strong-willed as eight wingers. In contrast to 7w8s, 7w6s are drawn more to relationships with people that will inevitably bring them down. They are more prone to stick around when things get abusive and unhealthy."

(Citation: Stackemup Enneagram)
Make sure to scroll down to the parts about 7w6 and 7w8! :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I understand the differences. We're really different. I just couldn't see the core 7 in him so well. I guess he must have quite a heavy wing. I can usually spot 7w6s rather easily, but Bolin just seems like an exception to me.

I'm comparing him now to other 7w6s. Aang, Pandora Moon and a few other that come to mind. He is pretty similar to Aang and less impulsive. Aang doesn't mind causing trouble while Bolin always regrets his mistakes no matter how big they are (6). For me, his 6-side just feels too visible for me to turn and say he's definitely a 7w6. He was really concerned about Opal in a way I couldn't see 7s. I could see a 7 pretending everything was alright and carrying on with a smile, but Bolin always spoke and said when he felt upset about their relationship and his conflicts with Kuvira. The more I think, the more I see 6w7, but I could still see 7w6 during his Nuktuk times.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@sharlzkidarlz

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or come across too strong. I also did not mean to call into question your Enneagram knowledge. I just felt really passionately about Bolin's typing (odd - - I know :laughing:). That's why his was the first I responded to. We actually agree on many of the characters.

I would not be completely opposed to Bolin being a 6w7 (though I'm still leaning towards a 7w6); it was just the suggestion of a type 2 that shocked my senses. :)

& What is Pandora Moon? Is this a show I should be watching?

I am still going to get around to responding to your other typings! I don't know why I feel the need to tell you that; I just don't want you to think I'm avoiding/ignoring you. But, I'm making LASAGNA! (perhaps after my lasagna making). ^_^

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
@sharlzkidarlz

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or come across too strong. I also did not mean to call into question your Enneagram knowledge. I just felt really passionately about Bolin's typing (odd - - I know :laughing:). That's why his was the first I responded to. We actually agree on many of the characters.

I would not be completely opposed to Bolin being a 6w7 (though I'm still leaning towards a 7w6); it was just the suggestion of a type 2 that shocked my senses. :)

& What is Pandora Moon? Is this a show I should be watching?

I am still going to get around to responding to your other typings! I don't know why I feel the need to tell you that; I just don't want you to think I'm avoiding/ignoring you. But, I'm making LASAGNA! (perhaps after my lasagna making). ^_^
Wow, I'm not offended at all XD You weren't that strong, just honest ��

I felt Bolin has some 2 traits in there somewhere, that's why I said 2. He's got that kind of friendliness. I wouldn't call that his core type though now I've thought about it even more.

Oh, and Panda's from Skins. You may want to watch it if you like shows about Brits partying and humour and drinking :D

And no, I don't feel ignored at all, there's no obligation to reply to my stuff XD I do like hearing responses though, they're always a good read. (And lasagne is always a thumbs up).

Reactions: o0india0o

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Korra... Hmmmmm... God... I don't know. She has a huge sense of responsibility and does demand trust.... But then trust is key when you're the only one able to do your job based on spiritual connections. Yeah actually, I think I agree with you. I don't see much 7.... I mean I do, but nothing to write home about. She's confident, she's brash, she was fearless. 6w5 could fit too I guess. When she vanished, it could be an 8 side of her talking with her 6 side. Not feeling right for the responsibilities of the avatar, she went and hid. Also combined with the 8 feeling as not wanting to be seen as weak. That's why she didn't talk to any of her friends or family after the trauma. She didn't like feeling that way. Hence why she got into pit fighting. 6w7 8w9? 6w5 8w7? I could see that too.
I agree with your assessment. Korra was a real struggle to type;; at first I thought she was a type 8 (when I first began watching "The Legend of Korra"), but I think it makes more sense that type 8 is second in her tritype. When I heard the counter phobic type 6 theory, that made a lot more sense, and aligned with all of her anxiety, fear, crying, and constant self-doubt. I think her 6-ish traits are more prominent than her type 8 traits. The only reason I gave her a 7-wing, was because I thought that 6w5 were more dark, brooding, and moody (kind of like Mako) - - I have not studied type 6 as well as I should (especially since it's my wing).

Mako... Yeah. A 6w5. Like Korra, he has this huge sense of responsibility. I didn't really like Mako all that much because of the way he acted. He was okay I guess, but.... URGH! Yes, you can hear those frustrations coming out that I usually get over 6s. I'm trying to describe this here... He had his job and was very dutiful. He was more dutiful than he was emotional and Korra didn't like his lack of expression. How he acted with Asami and Korra though conflict what I'm thinking. If anything, his reckless behaviour made him seem less like a 6. He's definitely one, but I just can't even explain it right now, I'm just rambling.
I know what you mean;; I am re-watching "The Legend of Korra" as we speak (it's playing in the background), and there are times where Mako tells Bolin to "calm down!" or "this is not the time to panic!", etc. . .Maybe I just don't know enough about type 6's, but I thought type 6's tend to panic and spaz-out? But his sense of duty is super pronounced;; and he definitely seems like a 6w5.

Asami. Yep, a 2 or 3. Concerned about her career and her future and was willing to take everything from her father and make it better. Very skilful and innovative too. That type of person who would easily climb the entrepreneurial ladder. One thing that made her a 2 was that she wasn't ever bad. She wasn't ever spiteful, just nice. From Varrick to her father, the way she held her grudges was very particular. She was supportive 100% and would put the needs of the others above her own. I would have said 2w3 but then I started seeing 3w2. Nah, I'd say 2w3.
For the record, I know some bad type 2's, Ha Ha. :laughing: But I get where you're coming from. I'd say 2w3 because of how helpful she was to everyone all the time. She was always being a confidant for everyone, and discussing their feelings with them. She definitely has that 3-wing (as oppose to a 1-wing like Katara or Kya), she is entrepreneurial and successful.

Kuvira.... Maaan that woman was such and 8w9. Calmly pulverises entire armies. Won't let the other half stop her from her goals. Yup, 8w9.
Typing Kuvira was a shot in the dark for me. For some reason, I'm not as adept at typing the "bad guys". But I agree with your assessment.

Tenzin. An actual 1. A real 1! Yes! I know no examples of actual 1s and then there's Tenzin. I can't even argue with you on this one XD Everything he did was such a 1. 'We have to do this!' 'We need to do it this way!' 'We can't let our new nation be ruled by a lair and a theif!' Haha!
You know, that's so true! & I never thought about it until you mentioned it just now, but I do rarely see type 1's in television shows or otherwise! I wonder why that is. . . Anyways, Tenzin was easy for me to type because my father is a 1w9, and Tenzin literally is a textbook example of a type 1 AND a 1w9! Ha Ha Ha! It cracked me up all the time! Made me miss my father. : )

Pema. 9w1.... I would have said 2, but yeah, she seemed like a 9. Maybe a 9w8? 9w1s and 1w9s are such rare gems, I don't even know with them, nevermind as a couple.
You know, most of the forum threads I've found on typing "The Legend of Korra" type Pema as a type 2 - - but I guess I just never really saw type 2 in her. Is it because she's a stay-at-home mother? I guess I don't see what everyone else is seeing. I typed Pema as a type 9 because she is always so pleasant and calm and nice (much like many of the 9w1 I meet). I feel that if she was a type 2, she would be trying to be more "helpful" all the time (like Asami does; or Kya with her hugs). She seems more calm and sweet than a type 2, at least to me. But she does not make a lot of appearances, so that did make her hard to type.

Varrick. Yes, here is where it gets even more interesting. The man was a genius! A SEVEN DOUBLE-U 8 GENIUS! Yes! This is what we needed! When he said to Zhu Li about how he was suddenly getting concern for others is such a 7w8 thing to say, I can't even. We do reckless stuff with what appears to be completely random, but we're actually calculating everything as we do it because we're that amazing. He also didn't give two thoughts about how Zhu-Li felt until she called him out. And even then he still struggled to comprehend that he would have to sacrifice his servant.
Oh Verrick! He was a Great example of a 7w8! & balls to the walls funny! :D

Now that you mention it, Zhu-Li was very calm and collected, but stern. She'd keep it together no matter what happened, but her last straw was when she almost died. Another 1.... How did I not notice this? I always thought she was too void of character to type, but that's just how 1s are. Always keeping order and being the opposite of us reckless 7w8s. I agree with you again!
You know, Zhu-Li was another shot in the dark typing for me. . .I really had a hard time pinning her down. She is quite expressionless much of the time, which I feel rules out type 7, 8, 2, and 4. Which types make Amazing, loyal, dedicated assistants? :laughing: I feel like, type 1's usually have a bit more trouble with burning anger and passion (similar to Tenzin; always repressed, right below the surface - - like a bubbling volcano). I'm not so sure a type 5 would be as energetic? But she kind of has a type 5 demeanor (reclusive & quiet). Zhu-Li was loyal like a type 6 or 1, but it's just so hard to tell. . .

Do you have any more thoughts on Zhu-Li?

Yup. An 8w9 like Kuvira. Notice the similarities anyone? Unlike Tenzin, she was a different type of stubborn. Actually, now I'm thinking 8w7? She was out of touch with her emotions, but would have these short bursts of anger. She'd get grouchy whenever anyone tried to see into her (Yes, 8s and their hatred of weakness) and didn't appreciate concerned questions from Opal. She felt bad about it after though. Contrasting with her more free-spirited sister in the past made her hold these grudges for a ridiculous amount of time (cough cough like her mother).
I see Lin Beifong as a solid example of 8w9. She's always so calm, cold, cool and collected. So confident, like she never doubted herself a day in her life! To me, she screams 8w9.

I would have said 2 for Suyin. She was always caring and willing to accept her sister back despite whatever happened however long ago. But when you look at her past and think about that whole 'Destroy Kuvira and her entire army' thing, you can't really argue with the '4' thing. I would have said 2w3, but she had no trouble letting her emotions get to her and unlike her sister, would just let them out whenever she felt like it (Those ENFJs...). No wonder the two of them clashed so much, they were literally opposites.
I really don't see a type 2 in Suyin at all. At first, I originally pegged her as a type 7 - - but when I saw others typing her as a type 4, I thought that made some sense too. She's very expressive and artsy - - left and created her utopian society (kind of seems like something a type 4 would want to do;; create the ideal world they want to live in). I gave her a 3-wing, simply because I thought 5-wingers were usually more dark and gloomy. XD

Jinora as a 5.... Yes. Just yes. No other suggestions.
Yeah, Jinora is totally a type 5, Ha Ha! Some had typed her as a type 9 (which re-watching, I understand;; especially some of her scenes in the spirit world during Season 2), but I would guess type 9 is in her tritype (definitely not her main type).

You forgot Kai! 6w7. Responsible, but irresponsible at the same time. Spent his childhood surviving by himself and using her prankster 7 ways to con and thieve his way through the world. Can rely on himself very well and adapts like a 7. But when he was accepted to the Air Temple, he was very emotional about Jinora and concerned about how well he fitted in. The time skip also showed him being way more like a 6.
You're right! I did forget Kai! Ha Ha. I kind of saw him as a 7w8 (he was always getting into trouble, testing his luck, and quite riley) - - but a type 6 could make sense for him as well. He got pretty aggressive with those bison thieves (just seemed sort of like an 8-wing thing), but perhaps a counter-phobic type 6 would exhibit this kind of behavior as well when someone they love is threatened. I don't know. . .he's a hard one to type, but I was originally leaning more towards a street smart 7w8.

I can't write as much about the Krew as the Gaang, but I spent the past hour on these. Bloody Hell, I love this series so much!
I noticed it was harder for me to type some of "The Legend of Korra" characters, but I realized it's probably because there are so many, many more of them, in comparison to "Avatar: The Last Airbender". Which meant there was less screen time for each character. But, still an Amazing show! :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A few more "The Legend of Korra" character Enneagram typings! Just some guesses.

Amon: 3w4
Eska: 4w5
Desna: 4w5
Wan: 7w8
Zaheer: 1w9
Kai: 7w8
Opal: 9w1
Hou-Ting (Earth Queen): 8w7
Ryu: 9w8

·
Registered
1,054 Posts