Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am forever young... constantly enamoured by the mysteries of the reality. Always questioning, always seeking, always Willseeing current reality and future possibilities.

I am a believer that all knowledge is subconsciously in existence within self. We live life and have experiences in order to get closer to the truth. What is truth? I cannot answer that question for there are many truths but only one universal truth which cannot be defined.

Now that I have prefaced some of my core beliefs I would like to put forth a topic which has been on my mind as of lately... the value of age and wisdom in current society. I find myself looking back through time.... analyzing past society to understand where we are from our current state. We are living in an age of great information... Access to the vast quantities of knowledge is rather humbling. So much information available can give one the sense that they can actually live life through this information. As though the reality that is created is done so with what has been given... through Wikipedia, through Facebook and your friends, through the news sites. No, I do not doubt the value of all these mediums but simply put we are living in strange times.

When a child comes into this world it is looked at with such awe. So fresh and new all the possibilities that ahead... the discoveries, the evolution, the possibility that this one being could change the way things currently are and go beyond where one is today. But I say, one has already been here. One has already experienced what has been experienced... therefore for evolution why have we forgot the importance of the older and wiser ones?

I am sitting in one of my favorite coffee shops writing this. I come here every so often but I do not come here always for the coffee. Tasty as it is I enjoy the company. There is something so mysterious and beautiful about the older women who come in here. One in particular always brings a smile to my face. She is from England and reminds me of older Kate Hepburn with her funny accent and shakey voice. The things she has told me have been instrumental as I shape and build reality but I would in my rush have ignored her in previous years. Now I look at her for her knowledge, her experience, and her nature and reality she has something that I desire. To live and enjoy life to the fullest. To see things in a new light when things are often cloudy and gray there is a deeper colour in the reflective nature.

So this I ask because I believe the ENTP to be one of the most perpectually young personality types...

Have you talked to someone well beyond your years (30+) and what did they tell you? Did it inspire you?
Was it a story of how they uphill to and from school?
Did you use your intuition and listen... and what did the message of the universe say to you through their words?
?

Reactions: cue5c and MoonLight

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Youth is wasted on the young, wisdom on the old, and you can't be old and wise without being young and crazy.

In topic, I had a blind date with some 30 yr old chick. She was fun, said some things about being a single parent and how her daughter is starting to become "an ass, like everyone in your generation is." I srs faced and debated with her.
It ended in "Well it might've been our fault for encouraging you guys, but did you really have to overdo it?"
I rebutted "Well, San Francisco shows everyone our ages will overdo anything."

Fun night, never going to do that again, just... it's odd. Not the fun odd, more like saying slang I didn't understand odd.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Youth is wasted on the young, wisdom on the old, and you can't be old and wise without being young and crazy.

In topic, I had a blind date with some 30 yr old chick. She was fun, said some things about being a single parent and how her daughter is starting to become "an ass, like everyone in your generation is." I srs faced and debated with her.
It ended in "Well it might've been our fault for encouraging you guys, but did you really have to overdo it?"
I rebutted "Well, San Francisco shows everyone our ages will overdo anything."

Fun night, never going to do that again, just... it's odd. Not the fun odd, more like saying slang I didn't understand odd.
ROFL. You should have gone on a date with an ENTP that age. I had a great time with my 20 year old date the other night, and she asked me out again at the end of the night. I even threw in a bunch of "when I was your age" statements with a dash of "you kids these days" and things still went well ... although I did feel like I had a very unfair advantage. :p

As far as the statement and question in this thread I'd have to say I think that not learning sufficiently from, respecting the knowledge of, or seeking wisdom and perspective from older generations is a big problem in today's society. It's not a blanket statement, but I see it as more and more prevalent than ever.

I'd say my martial arts teacher was one of my greater influences in my younger days. It wasn't all "good". I mean he was like the master from an old kung fu flick. You know the guy.

All the students get into trouble and run to find a master (of coarse they know right where he is). They find him on the top floor of a Chinese whore-house laying on a coach with an opium pipe next to him surrounded by whores and drinking all the wine he can find ..... when the students tell him of the troubles he instantly sobers up and then goes out and kicks someones ass.

He taught me how to get into trouble and then right back out of it again. Looking back I'd guess the man to be an ENTP with like 95% accuracy. The man knew more about everything than most people I'd ever met at that time in my life. He could get anyone to do anything for him anytime. He was a master manipulator. He knew at least a little bit about every subject you brought up. He was a good person though and made sure to steer me clear of anything he knew I couldn't handle (like the deaf Korean whore who propositioned me while we were at a bar in Korea when I was 14).

I'd say later in life I'd have to point to my father as a person of interest for this topic. We rarely agree on anything, but the old man's wise ... like really wise, and though I don't follow a LOT of his advise because of that it gives me a very stable perspective outside of my own to base my decisions off of. I'll admit that he has swayed my actions (though not always altered them) with his wisdom on more than a few occasions.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Have you talked to someone well beyond your years (30+) and what did they tell you? Did it inspire you?
Was it a story of how they uphill to and from school?
Did you use your intuition and listen... and what did the message of the universe say to you through their words?
?
I listen to everyone (albeit critically), but I do give oldtimers a lot of leeway. One out of simple respect, and the other because I enjoy stories. I feel that the stories are a better way to learn wisdom than what they generally preach though. I think as most people get older they develop a 'golden-age syndrome' that causes them to forget all the bad stuff that was attached at the hip to all the good stuff. Stories get a little shine, but they tend to tell a more interesting version of the truth.

·
Banned
12 Posts
The3rdpower,

I don't have an old person who would be mentoring me. My grandpa and similar are also clueless about the current world. They have unrealistic expectation that are not compatible with current events. I think they are less able to cope with wisdom than youngsters are. I think our generation will be the first to crack the unknown and lead many more generation to the future. We have been given great tools. No generation before has received so many tools to come close to actual reality. It is up to us to connect the dots. It is hard, I know. But what other choice do we have?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The3rdpower,

I don't have an old person who would be mentoring me. My grandpa and similar are also clueless about the current world. They have unrealistic expectation that are not compatible with current events. I think they are less able to cope with wisdom than youngsters are. I think our generation will be the first to crack the unknown and lead many more generation to the future. We have been given great tools. No generation before has received so many tools to come close to actual reality. It is up to us to connect the dots. It is hard, I know. But what other choice do we have?
Lol ... you go get'em tiger.
Keep in mind that there are things in this life that they've seen that you will never see for SOOOO many reasons. Their lack of modern technological prowess aside, the pure experience levels of older people alone, at the very least, entitles them to be listened to. If nothing else but to NOT do what they did or to learn about something that you hadn't thought of trying yet.

Hell I work in the IT field and I'm using old school electrical repair tricks that my grandfather taught me 15 years ago on modern day equipment to keep it up and running half the time. The wisdom and skills that have been passed down to me from older generations (and sometimes from many generations back) make it so that I can get along in situations that most others can't. They've kept me alive (literally) during some of my adventures. Also, as much as I enjoy technology I'm more than capable of living without it if anything ever happened to it (via doomsday event). I got the skills to do so passed down to me from those upper generations.

You kids are so eager ... and it's nice to see your passion from moving forward, but sometimes taking a step back furthers the plan more than rushing forward. Sometimes it's even nice to take a step back before rushing forward so you have a longer runway :)

Reactions: Theyknow

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Keep in mind that there are things in this life that they've seen that you will never see for SOOOO many reasons. Their lack of modern technological prowess aside, the pure experience levels of older people alone, at the very least, entitles them to be listened to. If nothing else but to NOT do what they did or to learn about something that you hadn't thought of trying yet.

Hell I work in the IT field and I'm using old school electrical repair tricks that my grandfather taught me 15 years ago on modern day equipment to keep it up and running half the time. The wisdom and skills that have been passed down to me from older generations (and sometimes from many generations back) make it so that I can get along in situations that most others can't. They've kept me alive (literally) during some of my adventures. Also, as much as I enjoy technology I'm more than capable of living without it if anything ever happened to it (via doomsday event). I got the skills to do so passed down to me from those upper generations.

You kids are so eager ... and it's nice to see your passion from moving forward, but sometimes taking a step back furthers the plan more than rushing forward. Sometimes it's even nice to take a step back before rushing forward so you have a longer runway :)
Experience over some obsolete theories, the only thing worth listening to might be wartime things.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Experience over some obsolete theories, the only thing worth listening to might be wartime things.
Since they've been time tested facts it's not exactly fair to call them theories. Obsolete may be a fairly accurate term, but that doesn't mean that they are without value. Like I said, I wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for some of those old-timey things. Simple and classic can be just as useful of a tool as complex and cutting edge if you know how to use them depending on the situation.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Since they've been time tested facts it's not exactly fair to call them theories. Obsolete may be a fairly accurate term, but that doesn't mean that they are without value. Like I said, I wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for some of those old-timey things. Simple and classic can be just as useful of a tool as complex and cutting edge if you know how to use them depending on the situation.
Time tested facts don't necessarily come from "our time's" old people.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Time tested facts don't necessarily come from "our time's" old people.
Not exclusively they don't. You're right. But it is one source.

·
Banned
12 Posts

Back few years ago when I last talked to grandpa, I was talking about how current government is continuously trying to squeeze people pockets even more. Rising gasoline prices, more people moving out of their confiscated houses, people losing their jobs, families getting torn apart, eating unhealthy food, dealing with an unhealthy bosses and many more. He doesn't get the idea that a society and government can be devious towards their own people. That their own people are nothing more that a cash cows. And everything is justified as long as the extraction process is running. It feels as if in his time, thing like that would have produced a counter reaction much earlier than letting it come to this point. But it doesn't happen. I ask him why? He keeps silence. And then turns out and starts to dehumanize the younger generation and his own kids. I think he's clueless. He cannot come up with an intelligent idea of how to motivate people and how to fix things. He always resort to dehumanization when he's being asked to give a solution. I think they simply cant handle. That why it is up to us to find out how to deal with them. Conventional wisdom of the elderly is obsolete. Even my dad doesnt know how to deal with it. He's from baby boomers generation. The only thing that comes to his head (ENTP head) is to how do some illegal stuff and get away with money. He cant do a normal job. It's too low grade for him. He has to find time for sex drugs and rock&roll so to speak. You will never be able to force him into hard work. Just like younger generation is constantly forced upon.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Back few years ago when I last talked to grandpa, I was talking about how current government is continuously trying to squeeze people pockets even more. Rising gasoline prices, more people moving out of their confiscated houses, people losing their jobs, families getting torn apart, eating unhealthy food, dealing with an unhealthy bosses and many more. He doesn't get the idea that a society and government can be devious towards their own people. That their own people are nothing more that a cash cows. And everything is justified as long as the extraction process is running. It feels as if in his time, thing like that would have produced a counter reaction much earlier than letting it come to this point. But it doesn't happen. I ask him why? He keeps silence. And then turns out and starts to dehumanize the younger generation and his own kids. I think he's clueless. He cannot come up with an intelligent idea of how to motivate people and how to fix things. He always resort to dehumanization when he's being asked to give a solution. I think they simply cant handle. That why it is up to us to find out how to deal with them. Conventional wisdom of the elderly is obsolete. Even my dad doesnt know how to deal with it. He's from baby boomers generation. The only thing that comes to his head (ENTP head) is to how do some illegal stuff and get away with money. He cant do a normal job. It's too low grade for him. He has to find time for sex drugs and rock&roll so to speak. You will never be able to force him into hard work. Just like younger generation is constantly forced upon.
It's simple really, use social media.
But we can't really use it effectively in the form it is currently.
Too many different forms, uses, we really need to unify it.
Not facebook, for the love of god.
...Maybe twitter?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
LoL .. you kids and your crazy inventions. You guys know that us old folks actually MADE those things exist that you're talking about right??

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Use social media to do what exactly? Start a revolution?
Send around actual facts.

...Along with torrents upon torrents of lolcats.
But mostly facts!
Not this inane kony bs, dudes dead, why chase dead dudes and help the Ugandan Government people of the internet?

This revolution idea? Not quite safe yet, but it could go there.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Send around actual facts.

...Along with torrents upon torrents of lolcats.
But mostly facts!
Not this inane kony bs, dudes dead, why chase dead dudes and help the Ugandan Government people of the internet?

This revolution idea? Not quite safe yet, but it could go there.
Where do you want those facts to lead? It's no good giving people information if they aren't willing to apply it to anything useful.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Where do you want those facts to lead? It's no good giving people information if they aren't willing to apply it to anything useful.
Exactly.
Deindivaduation occurs because of an overflow of information on cyberspace, or something.

We need to limit that, somehow.
I'm just wondering if smooshing everything toge..ther..
...ohgod, I've become him.

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Exactly.
Deindivaduation occurs because of an overflow of information on cyberspace, or something.

We need to limit that, somehow.
I'm just wondering if smooshing everything toge..ther..
...ohgod, I've become him.
Haha... no, you're on the right track. The thing to do would be to provide an initial framework to fit those facts into. People don't care about knowledge; what interests them is story. Give them a story, show them facts that play into the narrative you've given them, give it a face, and boom.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.