Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read an article about how INFJ's can seem to be so many different things. I was wondering if you ever become lost in a face that you no longer believed yourself to be an INFJ.

I've been noticing the way I behave in real life is somewhat more similar to an INFJ. I've caught myself describing Ni to other people, how do I know something, I just do. And, I'm nice, I just am, I can't really help it. people who barely know me sense/ see it and those who really do see it too. I love being around people, but I'm not talkative, I've thought it to be other things but, after working on that I'm really no more talkative then when I first started. I can't really deny my Fe. But this is off topic soo. (kind of why I'm wondering but you don't have comment)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I walk a fine line between my Fe and Ti to the point where it does get me thinking what type I really am. For example, an ENFJ would have their order as such: Fe Ni Se Ti. And INFJ is Ni Fe Ti Se. Notice they have the same functions, just in slightly different orders. Also, I test as a T instead of an F most of the time, but I normally hang out with NT's so that makes sense. I use me Fe to pick up what everyone else is saying and then I use Ni to add it to my repertoire.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I read an article about how INFJ's can seem to be so many different things. I was wondering if you ever become lost in a face that you no longer believed yourself to be an INFJ.

I've been noticing the way I behave in real life is somewhat more similar to an INFJ. I've caught myself describing Ni to other people, how do I know something, I just do. And, I'm nice, I just am, I can't really help it. people who barely know me sense/ see it and those who really do see it too. I love being around people, but I'm not talkative, I've thought it to be other things but, after working on that I'm really no more talkative then when I first started. I can't really deny my Fe. But this is off topic soo. (kind of why I'm wondering but you don't have comment)
Sometimes but “Everybody knows you never go full retard”

It is more common for Extroverts to believe that they are Introverts than the other way around. Off topic? I don't understand "off topic".

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I walk a fine line between my Fe and Ti to the point where it does get me thinking what type I really am. For example, an ENFJ would have their order as such: Fe Ni Se Ti. And INFJ is Ni Fe Ti Se. Notice they have the same functions, just in slightly different orders.
$19,000,000 vs $ 10,009,000

·
Registered
712 Posts
You've never really given off much of an ENTP vibe to me, but dude, you're a 9, you've got it in you to be a chameleon depending on who you're talking to or being influenced by at any moment in time.

Still ENTP and INFJ are spectacularly different to each other in temperament.

We could start with this question...Why did you think you were an ENTP in the first place? Did you get there just by doing a couple of MB tests that gave you that letter code, or by studying the functions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought i was an intp at first, it's complicated but i hardened my feelings for the people around me at the time because I couldn't stand them or myself being with them. I went on depressingly over thinking everything at the time i first discovered this mbti stuff and all the descriptions for an intp made sense to me, most of them anyways. Figured out a few things were wrong eventually when I got away from those people :proud:

I'm sure it's possible for anyone to mismatch to any type.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me ENTP seems to be so far away that I have a hard time picturing an ENTP act as an INFJ.... But maybe my concept of ENTPs is off...

Are these people typical ENTPs to you?

Otherwise I need to re-work my ENTP perception...
I think combined they're decent examples, I have a friend that tested ENTP and he's mix of the two. He definitely has the relationship problems and has an arrogant vibe to him.
I can't really see myself acting too much like him, I'm much more reserved except for a few rare moments. I saw in this article that listed some very entp like characters as models describing the particular faces an INFJ can have. Most notably The Joker and Tyler Durden.

You've never really given off much of an ENTP vibe to me, but dude, you're a 9, you've got it in you to be a chameleon depending on who you're talking to or being influenced by at any moment in time.

Still ENTP and INFJ are spectacularly different to each other in temperament.

We could start with this question...Why did you think you were an ENTP in the first place? Did you get there just by doing a couple of MB tests that gave you that letter code, or by studying the functions?
It was just by taking the tests a few times and going off that. I loved the job description of spy, dictator, fighter pilot, etc. I thought it was cool and test was accurate. Reading the actual descriptions left me lacking, I don't fully identify with most ENTP descriptions, not a whole lot of "That's me!" in there. Especially, compared with type nine descriptions, I'm for sure on that one.

I thought i was an intp at first, it's complicated but i hardened my feelings for the people around me at the time because I couldn't stand them or myself being with them. I went on depressingly over thinking everything at the time i first discovered this mbti stuff and all the descriptions for an intp made sense to me, most of them anyways. Figured out a few things were wrong eventually when I got away from those people :proud:

I'm sure it's possible for anyone to mismatch to any type.
That's sort of where I've been the past few years. I've pretty much lived as introvert for most of my teens, except for when I was the leader of my scout troop, but even that was just one night a week, and one weekend a month. I was home schooled the rest of time. Last year when I got into MB, I figured the difference was being home schooled and just trying adjust. Now, it's been a year going to college, I have some good friends and pretty comfortable in that environment and I'm still pretty quiet. To be honest the INTJ I know is more talkative and outgoing than I am. Of course same could be said with my ENTP friend but, in different ways, ENTP is more in terms of not knowing anyone, and the INTJ is better with friends.

It's been a year the only things I see really coming out are more the caring side and the fact that I am really nice guy, who is kind of quiet. People tend to seek me out on those reason as well, and I can't date someone just to date them, there has to be more. I may still transform into an entp, but the way it's looking it's unlikely I'll take on the full entp traits. The only real extroverted thing I have is that I like to be around people, not necessarily talking or doing something, just being with'em. I'm not the best conversationalist and most of the time sound disinterested when talking, I can't just fly with a conversation unless it's in my head and sometimes I even go blank on conversation. Its a total, I have nothing to say but I really enjoy your company/just being around you, thing and it happens even in strictly platonic friendships. (I've never been in a relationship so can't comment on those)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
HAHAHA those ENTP videos cracked me up, ENTPs are a trip, I know a few of them. ENTPs with developed Fe are one of my favorite types to be around.

As for the question of the thread. I posted somewhere recently when I was forced into a leadership position I shifted into ESTP(INFJs shadow) and when I was in that situation I ran with it head on. However afterwards I was analyzing everything I did and said and being really hard on myself.

Also, another thing to consider is when an INFJ is pushed into action or into anything its like a switch, it isn't a nob you turn for more intensity. We are either on or off, when we are switched on, we go head first and take no prisoners. Think of an INFJ as a volcano, quiet(introverted-ness) great big walls surrounding their depth(the crater) if you didn't know what a volcano was you would never expect it to suddenly erupt in magma and explosions. That is the way it is with INFJ, people we know never expect us to "erupt" but when we do its intense because the eruption comes from so much depth, just like a volcano erupts from deep within its magma chambers. With that said, when we erupt, sometimes we can totally let go of our tendency to walk on egg shells and not hurt people and really do damage to ourselves, people close to us or relations we have with those people. We rarely ever go full on though, I have only really gone off twice in my whole life and I am turning 22 in a few days.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the article I was referring to I notice an entp, switched to INFJ in the replies. I'd definitely be the academic, revolutionary and destroyer, maybe a little method actor thrown in to pull it all off as well.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
That's the article I was referring to I notice an entp, switched to INFJ in the replies. I'd definitely be the academic, revolutionary and destroyer, maybe a little method actor thrown in to pull it all off as well.
Have you already looked at these threads?
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/7581-hollys-tip-finding-your-type.html
http://personalitycafe.com/personality-test-resources/776-simplified-mbti-preferences-assessment.html

And background information.
INFJ Relationships
http://personalitypage.com/html/ENTP_rel.htm

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Extravert Characteristics

* Gregarious
* Assertive
* Talkative
* Social/outgoing
* Likes groups, parties, etc.
* Energized by interaction]
* Expressive & enthusiastic
* Volunteers personal information
* Distractable
* Has many friends
* Easy to approach

Introvert Characteristics

* Energized by time alone
* Private
* Keeps to self
* Quiet
* Deliberate
* Internally aware
* Fewer friends
* Prefer smaller groups
* Independent
* Not socially inclined
* Enjoys solitude
* Thinks before speaking

Sensing Characteristics

* Concrete
* Realistic
* Lives in the present
* Aware of surroundings
* Notices details
* Practical
* Goes by senses
* Factual

Intuitive Characteristics

* Future-focused
* Sees possibilities
* Inventive
* Imaginitive
* Deep
* Abstract
* Idealistic
* Complicated
* Theoretical

Thinking Characteristics

* Logical
* Objective

* Decides with head
* Wants truth
* Rational

* Impersonal
* Critical
* Thick-skinned
* Firm with people
* Driven by thought

Feeling Characteristics

* Decides with heart
* Dislikes conflict

* Passionate
* Driven by emotion
* Gentle
* Easily hurt
* Empathetic
* Caring of others

* Warm

Judging Characteristics

* Decisive
* Controlled
* Good at finishing
* Organized
* Structured
* Scheduled
* Quick at tasks
* Responsible
* Likes closure
* Makes plans

Perceiving Characteristics

* Adaptable
* Relaxed

* Disorganized
* Care-free
* Spontaneous

* Changes tracks midway
* Keeps options open
* Procrastinates
* Dislikes routine
* Flexible

I italicized the unsure ones..
Comparing the relationships it was perfectly even for each between the two.

I typically always test as ENTP, and holly's tip gives me ESFJ, I believe that's what it gave me the last time I took it too.
Your Type is ESFJ
Strength of the preferences % Extraverted:22 Sensing:12 Feeling:12 Judging:33
You are:
* slightly expressed extravert
* slightly expressed sensing personality
* slightly expressed feeling personality
* moderately expressed judging personality

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
HAHAHA those ENTP videos cracked me up, ENTPs are a trip, I know a few of them. ENTPs with developed Fe are one of my favorite types to be around.

As for the question of the thread. I posted somewhere recently when I was forced into a leadership position I shifted into ESTP(INFJs shadow) and when I was in that situation I ran with it head on. However afterwards I was analyzing everything I did and said and being really hard on myself.

Also, another thing to consider is when an INFJ is pushed into action or into anything its like a switch, it isn't a nob you turn for more intensity. We are either on or off, when we are switched on, we go head first and take no prisoners. Think of an INFJ as a volcano, quiet(introverted-ness) great big walls surrounding their depth(the crater) if you didn't know what a volcano was you would never expect it to suddenly erupt in magma and explosions. That is the way it is with INFJ, people we know never expect us to "erupt" but when we do its intense because the eruption comes from so much depth, just like a volcano erupts from deep within its magma chambers. With that said, when we erupt, sometimes we can totally let go of our tendency to walk on egg shells and not hurt people and really do damage to ourselves, people close to us or relations we have with those people. We rarely ever go full on though, I have only really gone off twice in my whole life and I am turning 22 in a few days.
Awesome description! I think I've only 'gone off' a couple of times in my life and I am 22 :laughing:

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ah, slipped in while replying, lol I made a point when I was leader to try not over analyze things and keep it in the moment objectively. I can see the volcano thing definitely I've only go off maybe twice as well, in 20 years.

ESFJ by holly's tip is actually INTP, which is close relative of ENTP - may be you are INTP? have you read the INTP profile?
If I am, I am an extremely weird/unique INTP. I don't really care about the details or analyze things like they typically do. I can't formulate anything like I've seen in the INTP area.

Maybe I just need to give it more time and maybe a girlfriend before I can really find out for sure what my type is.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
If I am, I am an extremely weird/unique INTP. I don't really care about the details or analyze things like they typically do. I can't formulate anything like I've seen in the INTP area.

Maybe I just need to give it more time and maybe a girlfriend before I can really find out for sure what my type is.
hmm yeah if you cannot formulate opinions like they do it then you most likely have perceiving function as dominant not judging one like they do

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmm yeah if you cannot formulate opinions like they do it then you most likely have perceiving function as dominant not judging one like they do
I'd say for sure I'm a dominant perceiver. One thing that might help is during a perception or thought storm, when my mind is racing and looking at thoughts endlessly drawing connections, going on thought overload, it always seems to be looking for one thing that would hold true in a universal sense. Would that be an accurate description of Ni in overload?

A visual that comes to mind for it is somewhat of figure a eight, essentially the radiation pattern of dipole antenna which is this:
with my mind at center. Taking in the information and checking it for something that holds true.

A more dynamic image of what a storm look like.

If I'm building off a thought it looks more like yagi antenna, the idea just reflects or pushes the thoughts more in one direction like this

I just realized that describing this would probably answer my question, I hope the visuals aren't over the top.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
There are certainly similarities in how Ni and Ne work. Both are perceiving functions, so it has this whatever goes attitude rather than preference for a well-formulated and structured opinion that judgement function dominant persons have. But the orientation of this "whatever goes" attitude is different for Ni vs Ne. For Ni this is the preferred internal attitude. For Ne this is the preferred state of world outside.

Ni is inwardly oriented giving INxJs a "whatever goes" inner world that just contains a lot of possibilities inside itself but there is no rigid structure. I was just talking to my parents on the phone about this, with respect to career choice since I'm planning to change my course a little and after studying MBTI realization hit me that I really do best is structured environments because due to my cognitive function preference I don't have a rigid structure, rigid core inside me. So me without rigid core placed into environment without rigid structure has proven to be a disaster for me. Because inside me it is like "whatever goes" and outside there is nothing to help pick something out so I end up feeling very lost and paralyzed not knowing what to do. But put me in structured environment and I optimize stuff and excel.

Ne is outwardly oriented and gives ENxP a "whatever goes" attitude toward their outer environment, but their inner core is actually highly structured and alike that of INxPs because their dominant introverted functions are Ti for ENTPs and Fi for ENFPs. So they carry very solid structure within themselves but it may conflict with outside structure and thus they need a lot of freedom from outside. ENTPs may feel pressured and under conflict when placed within some structured environment but excel in places where there are few outside limits. What their structured core carries is another matter - I've known some ENTPs who spent time in prison and some who excelled in PhD programs (which btw is an excellent unstructured environment for ENTPs whereas something like medical school, which is a more structured environment, would be a better pick for INFJ).

Another main difference is that Ni deals with information that has been observed from outside environment - the past basically, what has happened and why. Ne however deals with information that could be created in outside environment - the future, what could be made to happen. As a dominant Ni person I can for example come up with multiple explanations of something that I have observed and see how it is interconnected to other things. But when I take something and make myself think what could be made out of it I feel like my brain just start making these screeching sounds and I have a lot of difficultly coming up with possibilities in this manner.

I actually don't think INFJs have just Ni overloads but it is a Ni-Ti overload. It is related to article posted by simulatedworld on dominant-tertiary loop personality disorders. What happens is that Ti proposes some structure, like "hey this here is true" - and then Ni shoots it down as being too precise, like "no this cannot be true, lets look at even bigger picture". Then Ti picks something up again "hey lets put effort here" and Ni says no, once again we need to look at bigger picture beyond what Ti picked up. And so this cycle repeats. It can lead to paralysis of INFJ not knowing what to do, where to head. Any structure tertiary Ti identifies the dominant Ni shoots down on basis of being too structured and thus not encompassing the bigger picture. If this loop is very heavy it leads INFJ to display characteristics of schizoid personality - a personality completely contained in itself, indifferent to people and getting involved in anything.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I'd say for sure I'm a dominant perceiver. One thing that might help is during a perception or thought storm, when my mind is racing and looking at thoughts endlessly drawing connections, going on thought overload, it always seems to be looking for one thing that would hold true in a universal sense. Would that be an accurate description of Ni in overload?

A visual that comes to mind for it is somewhat of figure a eight, essentially the radiation pattern of dipole antenna which is this:
with my mind at center. Taking in the information and checking it for something that holds true.

A more dynamic image of what a storm look like.

If I'm building off a thought it looks more like yagi antenna, the idea just reflects or pushes the thoughts more in one direction like this

I just realized that describing this would probably answer my question, I hope the visuals aren't over the top.
You can rule out INFJ by this post alone :)

And did you actually click on the link in my last post?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts