Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the whole lurker thread leading to a discussion about masks and alter egos got me thinking about the masks we wear in a day to day life and how's it related to Introverted Feeling (Fi). Masking one's emotions is definitely something that's commonly done whether it's a conscious or a subconscious effort.

So does that put those with Fi (underdeveloped) at a greater risk of some sort of dissociative disorder?

On doing some research it's easy to find out that Alter Egos were a way of describing the secondary self. However thanks to superheroes, fiction and the like we use it mostly as a 'secret identity' in pop culture.
We know that it's closely related to dissociative disorders and this is one of the subgroup of disorders that's hard to define with clarity outside of the fact that those with it use dissociation.
Depersonalisation and DID aka Multiple Personality Disorder come under it but they are both quite strongly different (more so than say BPD and Borderline are from each other).

Does this whole aspect of wearing masks to hide parts of our persona put us at a greater risk of experiencing dissociation?
When I was nearly diagnosed for depersonalisation earlier in the year, I'd discussed it with a friend and her instant reaction was - aren't the feelings of depersonalisation normal (she's also an introverted feeler) which made me question the validity of depersonalisation. However on analysing others (in order to understand what I was going through personally), of course not everyone feels this way. I have empirically come across more introverted feelers, particularly underdeveloped ones more prone to depersonalisation and other forms of dissociation.

I mean when you think about it makes sense but I was just curious about what you guys thought.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
An alter ego feels different to wearing a mask imo, even f that mask is well constructed. When I wear a mask (the host, the leader, the advocat, the counselor , the secret identity superhero etc) it's understood by myself and hopefully others that the mask is a dissociation / a context dependent relationship. In my definition of an alter-ego, it requires constructing yourself as a different person. I'm not sure the alter-ego can be maintained if people begin to see both sides, thus merging the realities together... But it does force the trap that you try to keep the identities seperate thus becoming somewhat different animals but with similar core personality, unlike personality disorders.

-personal experience

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I think I definitely pull out different personalities depending on who I'm around. I can be the leader, listener, advice-giver, comedian, or emotionless robot. It just depends on how I feel. Also, I can be pretty impressionable at times. It's something I'm trying to work on, but if I'm around someone who's a bit callous, I find that sometimes I might accidentally mimic them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don't know if you can really attribute dissociative disorders to a single cognitive function. I can see how lack of Fi could lead to it, but I also think lack of Se could also lead to it, as people low in Se tend to distance themselves from the "here and now". I think dissociative disorders are more due to the whole mess of functions interacting together. Maybe high Fi could also lead to it, as these people are so hypervigilant of their personal feelings and experiences that they need to dissociate to get some distance and cope.

Depersonalization and derealization are actually pretty normal - that's why they're not frequently diagnosable by the DSM. It's only when it causes someone distress or negatively impacts their life that it becomes significant, but usually they're just symptoms of another mood or personality disorder.

I can see multiple masks as being both beneficial and detrimental. On one hand, it's great that these masks allow a person to experience life in a way they wouldn't with certain people. However, an integrated person is the most mentally healthy so it's obviously not ideal to have to separate yourself around certain people. I guess it's a way of making the best with what you've got at the moment.

Reactions: Devil

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's just something I suppose hypothetically increases your probability of getting a dissociative disorder. Similar to how an athlete who exerts themselves puts them at risk for Parkinson's because of the amount of physical strain the body is under but that doesn't mean every has it. However they are at risk for it, the longer they go at it. Boxers and neurological disorders work similar I suppose.

The thing is we always acknowledge it when it brings about something negative, but obviously these things cause enough strain on someone before it becomes visible. Some people have high tolerance levels and others low. Because of that it's difficult to give an effective diagnosis. It just becomes a spectrum since it's of varying degrees. Not to take this OT but many suspect several highly successful individuals could be HFAs. Similarly it is true as to how depersonalisation can be both beneficial and detrimental.

For instance what is strongly stated as presence of mind is actually a fairly depersonalised state where those who aren't fairly disconnected from themselves can come up with solutions that help the collective but when it's not in a high threat situation it becomes more of a burden. However because of the way human beings work in a society we will have need for these people who are fairly depersonalised to come to the forefront in times of crisis.
I agree with you @freezeframe esp on the integration bit but that's something that's harder to achieve.
@aphinion - mimicking is usually a defence mechanism perhaps to prevent being the recipient of such behaviour. @Thomas60 but that's the problem with masks. We are aware of who we are to some extent but the rest of the world isn't. The more we wear the masks unaware to the rest of the world, the more it becomes natural which does ultimately conflict with our own definitions of who we are. It can either create a new definition for us if we are adjusted enough or create an internal conflict. There is only so much that's internal.

Now I've the sudden urge to watch Bergman's Persona again.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've noticed people in fits of anger tend to depersonalize. Like, I've seen my dad when he's angry (about nothing important to anyone but him) get these crazy eyes, and he can't be all there. Part of him has to be somewhere else. He has so little control over his emotions though, that he can't control his reaction to them.

Hmm is that low Fi? Or super high Fi? Or just super low Fe and Se?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@freezeframeSounds more like low Fe since it's not internalised but more externalised. Plus if it was some sort of Fi, you'd realise it by now due to your Fi and your empathy (since based on your posts you're good with that).

OT: Sometimes it's ironic about the things you say and the things that happen. Well I'm 100% single again and the last conversation I had was about the whole masks thing with the person. I'm just glad it didn't last for more than a few months and that I finally got my answer from the ping-pong situation.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
In regards to social personas:

I used to do this. I was friends with some Mormons and I never said "god" in the "oh my god" context, or anything else that would offend them (which was a lot of shit) and I was unhappy doing that. I used to stifle myself in front of different people, and then I realised that, with some friends, I didn't have to and it felt a lot better than when I didn't. It occurred to me that it was bad for me, this whole "different persona" thing, so I stopped. Sure, I lost some friends, and sure, I've made enemies along the way, but since doing that I've felt better about myself than I ever have before. I stopped the bullshit, and now I'm always me. Whether it be the interwebs, a coffee shop, out on the street, at a party, with my parents, with relatives, with Japanese host families, I'm always just Sam. I think that, in doing this, I've established a personality and I have more personal integrity than other people. Perhaps that's just rationalisation, but whatever.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I think I definitely pull out different personalities depending on who I'm around. I can be the leader, listener, advice-giver, comedian, or emotionless robot. It just depends on how I feel. Also, I can be pretty impressionable at times. It's something I'm trying to work on, but if I'm around someone who's a bit callous, I find that sometimes I might accidentally mimic them.
Hmm, that kinda sounds more Fe than Te.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well tonight I don't really care for masks. I'm not going Offtopic in here but I'll remove one mask and record something only thing is I'm taking requests so I shall read text in my whatever accent. Points if you can figure out what influences exists in it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well tonight I don't really care for masks. I'm not going Offtopic in here but I'll remove one mask and record something only thing is I'm taking requests so I shall read text in my whatever accent. Points if you can figure out what influences exists in it.
Where will this recording be?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where will this recording be?
Well I was thinking audioboo when I'd written it since I meant a voice recording. I've not set up my camera to record tonight.
No one's offered a piece of text to even do a dramatic reading. So hmm I'll think of something.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have some writing that I did.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Lazy Bear
Here you go. (6 min 22 sec)
@NameUser

Here's an excerpt from Apology (5 min 52 sec)
and one from Phaedo (4 min 51 sec)

Also I did this one for kicks since I read 'All my friends are dead' for some of my nieces and nephews (well technically they aren't but for some reason my family refers to my cousins' kids as my nieces and nephews). It's been over a year since I read this to them so there's stuff.

I'm slightly tired but I can still read. I sound like shit right now and I do sound fairly pretentious -.-

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I did not expect your voice to sound like that.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Lazy Bear I'm not surprised. I get that a lot. It actually sucks when I have to go into business presentations with people who decide to judge my experience by my voice.
I can sing in a deep voice and a falsetto but my speaking voice is pretty much that. Accent changes depending on whom I'm talking to - blame it on spending the first 20 years of my life in 5 countries.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I guess I just figured you'd be as loud as I am.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts