Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intro: So I sat to myself thinking -- WHAT determines our personality? I've found a system that can explain seemingly minute differences in character, differences that become large flashing neon signs once you start dig deeper and focus ALL your attention on them.

This is not a nature nurture debate but rather, the attempt to isolate and describe all things nature. The only criteria listed here that I believe is strongly affected by upbringing (nurture) is psychological health.

Addon: Only child / order among siblings could be placed in the "upbringing folder" but is invariably also the result of nature running its course

When I run this by someone, and I know them
well enough to type them on all 10 criterias, I feel like I have a "map" of them on the paper in front of me. I've found that this can explain why people of same MBTI + Enneagram type are STILL very different. Even when they are top range (1-3) in psychological health.

Some of this is taken from science, but in terms of human understanding, what IS science? A respected phychiatrist who makes a lot of money and is a national TV-figure - are HIS words science? Even more reliable? I don't have double-blind placebo studies backing this up, just take it for what it is, an interesting theory.

Also, stuff that are ALREADY commonly known, I will not explain it, just list it. New things I will explain thouroughly.

As I end the introduction: I would as you to interpret each of these 10 items as one layer in a personality. You might have several "layers" having something in common.

For example, I have an ESFP 7w6 Sx/So friend. According to David Kiersey in Please Underatand me II, ESFP's have the lowest tolerance for anxiety of all 16 types. 7's have the lowest tolerance for anxiety of the 9 enneagram types. And having Sx as primary craves new, intense sensory experiences. You can see that his short-term thinking and pull toward stimuli is very strong. This is a clear-cut example of three layers pulling him in one direction.

Overview: Individual parts that make up the theory "Matrix of human personality" are

I) MBTI (myers-briggs)
II) Enneagram + wing
III) Instinctual variants (primary + secondary)
IIII) Psychological health
V) Auxiliary processes
VI) Gender psychology (the layer of psychology that comes with our gender)
VII) General intelligence
VIII) Gift of speech
VIIII) Left-handed / Right-handed
X) Only child / order among siblings

I) MBTI

Commonly known.

II) Enneagram + wing

Commonly known.

III) Instinctual variants

Commonly known.

IIII) Psychological health

Somewhat commonly known. Here I would just rip the definition straight of from The Wisdom of the Enneagram by Don Riso & Russ Hudson. Being 9 levels of psychological health. Note that they made it 9 levels because they WANTED it to be nine levels, due to its sacred number in general and within the enneagram. 9 levels works fine, not too many like 15 would have been, and not too few like 5 would have been.

V) Auxiliary processes

I do not mean to go into cognitive functions. I define the auxiliary process as the opposite of your primary process. An ESTJ's primary processes are E + S + T + J.
Now his secondary (auxiliary) processes are I + N + F + P respectively.

I've found that most people (all except 2 I've typed so far) have excatly 2 strong auxuliary processes. And 2 virtually non-existing ones. I've named these "non-existing" because it is a better description than weak.

In her book Gifts Differing Isabel Briggs Myers will say about the same thing but only applies it to Extroversion vs Introversion + Judging vs Perception. Specifically pages 175-179. The first sentence of the first pragraph begins:

"The two skilled process can develop side by side because they are not antagonistic"
–Isabel Myers

I extend it further, and say when you were made, you got excactly two either-or choices resulting in MBTI type. THEN you got 2 additional points, that may be spent on 2 of the 4 resulting secondary processes.

I have a paper on my desk describing how each character composition looks. Thinkers without secondry feeling will often appear dry and suck at small talk. But an ISTP WITHOUT feeling, then, will score a 2/3 on the remaining ones.

He might get strong E (very common) + a strong J accordingly. He is still an ISTP at heart. But will "tune in" to his E + J when dealing with the outside world. Using E will still take energy but he CAN DO IT, and do it well. I know an ISTP salesperson of this configuration excactly. He is about top 10% in workforce terms of success as a saleperson. That wouldn't be possbile with non-existing E. When he comes home he is basically tired and can't interact with people.

Needless to say: having P primary and J as strong secondary is a very potent combination in conducting yourself in the world. It must also be mentioned that J's can have strong auxiliary P. They are not any worse is making decisions. They are still highly skilled in making decisions at a fast-pace, as all J's are.

To an outsider, it will show itself in an openness to new ideas, even at higher age, where people tends to become more conservative and "close their minds". They can also hold off their decisions making power, and tune into what is NOT known. This way they can be highly skilled listeners and sit quiet for a long time. Decisions of J's with strong secondary P are also not irreversible. Decisions in the mind of a pure J can have that irreversible, definite character.

Prescence of strong secondary J in P is fairly easy to detect. Prescence of strong secondary P in J is hard to detect. That, along with strong secondary I in Extroverts is the hardest to detect, in my experience. Why? When acting in the moment, a J will simply use their J. When in the prescence of other people (in this case you) E's simply use their extroversion.

Back to the ISTP. Let's say he got N + J as strong secondaries instead. Now he lacks E + F, which pretty much amounts to terrible social skills. BUT he has a decent ability to notice patterns and deal with abstract ideas. This coupled with extraordinary sensory data coming his way from S, together with an ability, when needed, to make accurate fast-paced decisions is not a bad combination.

This is WHY some sensors aren't completely lost in the world of ideas. THIS is why some intuitives have great memory for specifics. I know 3 personally. Three intuitives with strong supportive S. This also makes them more grounded in reality and more able to communicate with sensors.

THIS is why some introverts have extraordinary extroverted qualities, one of their "points" were spent on extroversion. THIS is why some feelers are good at math, physics, chemistry and cause-and-effect reasoning. THIS is why some thinkers have strong tendency toward feeling, especially when that side is consciously encouraged, as it so often is around other people.

VI) Gender psychology (the layer of psychology that comes with our gender)

Gender psychology, deep spiritual definition
This overarching definition of Mascilinity and Femininity is taken from Doctor Paul, as presented in his self-improvement program MindOS, DVD 2.

Masculinity = Skills with women + Skills at mission in life. Skills with women represents our male sexual ego. Skills at mission in life can be our career or simply our destiny. Basically targeting goals and moving TOWARDS something in life.

Femininity = Security with Men + Finding one's PURPOSE / "place" / belonging in life, in familly friendship and social network. Belonging to something greater than yourself.

Gender psychology, male + female sexual ego

The male sexual ego thrives on recognition and validation of its prowess

The female sexual ego thrives on ATTENTION, and the ability to command men using her power as a sexual female

VII) General intelligence

You may define intelligence however you want, as long as you don't use IQ. However you define it, it STILL holds true that some people are just unusually smart. Some have startling capabilities in a multitude of areas, not just one. Although one is a lot more common.

I've exposed myself to a lot of smart people – I've found three undercurrents that hold true for all of them, so to speak. Massive intelligence gives

a) Depth (deeper, more introverted-like thinking)
b) Quest for information (NT or enneagram 5-like quality)
c) Creativity (N or F or enneagram 4-like quality)

a) Smart introvertes tend to be able to go very deep in their thinking. Smart extrovert reach surprising depths as well.

b) Smart people seem to crave information. The analogy is a big muscle that needs to be worked out or it will fade away. They need stimuli for their brain. This is why you will not be accepted into the police-force in Sweden in you do too well on intelligence-tests. They know from experience those people are unsatisfied doing regular police-work, which leads us to point three

c) Intelligence seems to up creativity. The distinction here is it does not CREATE creativity. It only amplified what is already there. I have an ISTP (strong secondary E + F) 8w9 So/Sp friend. He has no creativity whatsoever, but is really smart. He spent 3 months gutting fish in Norway (hard, monotonous work) and was completely satisfied while doing it.

VIII) Gift of speech

I've named this gift of speech. Some people simply have a gift of speaking. Their words come across as clear, congruent and thoughtful. Ever here someone on the radio, where every sentence uttered seemed profound? He/she probably had gift of speech. I've taken my time to define this. Similarities I've found are

a) Energy in voice. People speaking like this have a certain energy in their voice. When they want to they can make the words crystal-clear.

b) Rhythm. There is also a captivating rhythm to their words. It bounces up and down like a melody. This melody helps us seperate what is important from what is not important. In a way they help interpret the information for us, enabling us to be in a perceptive state as oppose to a interpretive mindset.

This is why good speakers can have an even hypnothic quality. The words come with so much interpretation – complete and packaged – that we can sit back and listen, fall into a receptive state. There is more.

c) Ability to transfer what is inside their heads, to words, without loosing or destroying any of the information. Many introverts would envy having this quality, wouldn't we?!

d) Some of these people seem to be able to present something better with words, than how it was held in the perfection in their own minds. It is like talking is one step in the refinement process. From what I've seen d applies mostly maybe only to extroverts.

VIIII) Left-handed / Right-handed

I spent 10-15 hours researching this. It only takes so long to read all the articles on googles first 30 hits. HOWEVER, in this lies a dormant aspect and that is, to understand the effects of left-handedness / right-handedness you must FIRST understand the differences between the two brain halves. THIS knowledge is best demonstrated by showing you this video, which I highly appreciate

Addon: by the way the speaker of this 11:48 video has gift of speech

Basics:
Left-handedness encourage right brain half (cross-wired)
Basics: Right-handedness encourage left brain half (cross-wired)

X) Only child / order among siblings

Actually I need to go now, I'll finish this tomorrow!
:crazy::crazy:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts