Personality Cafe banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this thread was already created prior, but I didn't find it among stickies, so...

Similarly to how people try to identify the MBTI type for countries (which is too abstract and subjective imo), I think it would be an extremely useful activity to identify the MBTI type of Anime series, not based on the individual personalities of lead or support characters, but based on the intentions of the writer/director, atmosphere, plot, visual design, etc.

Since everyone has a very unique preference for the series he watches, if all of those preferred series fall into a particlar MBTI category, it could potentially help him identify/solidify his own type as well.

Here's a few rules I'd like to list for typing Anime series. However, more than rules, they are advice guidelines. Don't try to fit your typing into every single point mentioned below. Just use it as a tool to guide your typing efforts:

0. Don't limit yourself to giving just 1 type to a series. Assigning several potential types (if you're uncertain) is fine.
1. Do not limit yourself to the personality/vibe/behavior of lead characters. If the story and characters are created by a single writer, then no matter how many different personalities will be present, they should all be permeated by a single flavor/aura.
2. When determining the "vibe" of the series, try to apply as a wholistic and all-inclusive approach as possible. Do not simply focus on the characters, but also on what they wear, what their world looks like, what dangers/threats it holds. What vibe does the soundtrack of the series have? (aristocratic, quirky, powerful, happy-go-lucky) Etc.
3. Look at how different characters interact, and read between the lines. What is the "genesis" of their interactions, passions, problems, grievance? Don't just look at what they do, say, think, feel, but look at why they behave that way.
4. The atmosphere of every series, aside from being constructed by the physical environment, is also largely dependant on the type of emotional tension that exists between the characters. Try to "drink" and "digest" the atmosphere, and ask yourself why the world feels the way it feels.
5. Every good story relies on the principles of "tension" and "relief". Usually the "tension" is created at the beginning of the story. And the audience stays for the rest of the story in anticipiation of "relief". (this sounds almost sexual now) This tends to be abused by stereotypical harem series, as at the begining of the story the audience picks a girl, and stays for the rest of the story to see if that girl gets chosen by the protagonist, but often no choice is ever made (no "relief" is provided) and the audience is left with upset blue-balls. Alternatively, the "tension" can be created by a kid losing his parents, and "relief" provided by him catching their killer.
Try to identify the "tension" of the story, and look at what kind of "relief" it pursues. Then try to relate that to the stereotypical "tensions" different MBTI types tend to experience.

I'll start:

Vampire Knight - INFJ (aristocratic vibes all over the place, sophisticated and intelligent-looking characters, dark emotional and visual atmopsheres, focus on romance, somewhat introverted grievances, living on the edge of the blade)
Jormungand - xxTJ (may have some P-ness to it, but all I managed to extract from the series were military themes and cold-hearted material profit)
Steins;Gate - xNTP (I know Hooooououin Kyoooouma is ENTP-ish himself, but he has so much of a presence in the series, that we might as well say that he IS the series)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts