Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think that the meaning of life is to learn. Surely we aren't here for some higher power's sick enjoyment, and even if we are, I refuse to not learn a thing or two while we're here. No matter how long we stay in school, we still continue to learn every day of our lives. :happy:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think the true meaning of life is to learn, gain experience, love, and help others. When we die, all our possessions stay here. If there is an afterlife (and I believe there is), then all we will have gained to keep will be love, experience, knowledge, our friends and family. Anything else a person lives for stays here, while we move on. So, to me, there's nothing else worth living for.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I have developed a certain 'mega-vibe' for it, like I have some understanding of what this meaning is for me but I'm can't easily describe it in words. I just kind of feel it's there, but it is too complicated and in any case doesn't really need to be described.

this is a very short but incredibly useful book on the topic: Amazon.com: Man's Search For Meaning (9780671023379): Viktor E. Frankl: Books

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think there's an endless number of meanings of life. Pick the one that suits you best. Some people think that no such thing as meaning of life exist. I agree with them but I want to add that it means you can create the meaning of your life by yourself. You got this limited time you spent on this planet. What do you want to do during that time? To me the meaning of life is to heal. I really want to make people feel better. I may do it by simple tasks like asking if someone wants coffee and then bring it to them. Or I may listen for hours when people ramble about their childhood traumas. I just wish that being kind to others will cause them to be also kind to other people around them. So it will be like an infinite positive chain of kindness. (Boy, I sound fluffy now.)

·
Registered
251 Posts
If I knew what it was, I wouldn't be here! :crazy:

But really, I don't know what the meaning of life actually is, and I don't know that I will find out while I am alive. My feelings, however, cause me to attribute meaning to certain things in life. Deep connections with other people are probably what I value most. I really just want to be truly understood, and accepted and loved for who I am by whoever truly understands me. But at the same time, I worry that I might be just projecting these desires outwards onto someone else. Maybe that understanding and love is really meant to come from within. But it's hard for me to do that, when I don't even understand what it is that's stopping me. :unsure:

Other than an actual definition of "the meaning of life", I believe life inherently has meaning. All of our experiences are meaningful, at least to us. So I think subjectively we all choose a "meaning of life" for ourselves, in a way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Love the world as much as you humanly can. Just feel it. You only get one shot, you know? Feel everything.
But then again, I'm seventeen. I'm sure enough seventeen year olds out there see things this way aswell. I sort of hope I don't change with age, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The meaning of my life at the moment, is to learn how not to try to understand everything. Learn how to let go. With the flow. My brain is a huge headache. Goddamn fascist! More acting, less mind-wankin'! (much easier said than done, though)..(I choose to believe and therefore that is what I percieve..HELP ME!) :crazy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
The only thing that makes our lives mean anything is if the contributions we make in this world extend beyond our own life. A major contribution to any given profession is an achievement, but how many people actually remember you if you make major strides in cellular biology or mechanical engineering? The most enduring and widespread effect is accomplished through touching, chainging, improving lives on a personal level. If someone is being abused, and you help them through that experience, or you help them be better after, or you convince them not to kill themselves over it, or if you are the person that serves as an inspiration, hope that they will someday be alright again, they will never, ever forget THAT.

So, that is what the meaning of life is - impacting other people on a personal level. I'm sure it is other things for other people.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts