Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In today’s article, I would like to begin with a quote by the Swiss psychiatrist, Carl Jung: “We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect. The judgement of the intellect is only part of the truth”. I came across this statement the other day when I was doing research for my upcoming novel and it immediately grabbed my attention. It made me pause. It made me think about the amount of thinking I do. I suddenly felt exhausted.

Our society is largely based on the constructions of the mind. The mind is the greatest computer: it is rational, it is logical, it is powerful, and it can grow and reshape itself with incoming knowledge. But while the mind can be our most valuable tool, it can also become a weapon of self-destruction. In this day, we have the tendency to get stuck in our heads, our minds in overdrive, overworked and over-stimulated. Our energy gets out of balance, and we in turn use our minds to try to understand why we feel this way. It’s a vicious cycle and we have all, at one point or another, fallen victim to our own logic.

The mind is perhaps our most valuable tool, yes. But is that all there is? The mind is the voice of reason. But what about the voice of passion? The voice of feeling? The deep knowing and intuition that cannot be explained? Since when did seeing becoming believing? Do our senses not deceive us? I pose these questions simply to spark a bit of internal dialogue as I think it very important for us to be aware of just how much we have grown to rely on our minds alone.

Today, ask yourself how much you act out of intellect and reason versus how much you act out of emotions. When I say emotions, I’m not referring to crying fits or professions of love, but rather to intuition, creativity, and whim. How much do you feed into the linear and logical system? How often do you find yourself having to rationalize everything you do- even after you have acted out of an emotional state? Do you once again revert back to your intellect? Do you feel like a slave to your mind? Thought can be the leader of a revolution, but it can also be your fiercest prison guard. Today, tune in. Listen. Turn off the search engine in your head and stop searching. For the one who walks the spiritual path, the search is futile. Everything is already here, everything is already ‘found’. Even if it is only for a few hours, mute the voice of intellect, it’s been blaring for too long and no longer sounds like music.

Source: The Mind: Where's the mute button? - Virginia Beach Metaphysical Spirituality | Examiner.com

·
Registered
150 Posts
Empiricists and Rationalists have been debating this for hundreds of years. I'm not entirely sure which mode of thought I belong to, but I'd say a lean a little more towards Rationalism. I think that at times our senses can deceive us (thought vs extension), but then again, like Kant, I believe that there is a possibility that we may have limited sensory apparatus. Also, many would say that there is no such thing as ''innate'' knowledge, because all knowledge begins in sensation and that wisdom stems from experience. Even when dealing with facts which exist outside ourselves (the laws of physics for example), the data must be transmitted through the five senses before we can make sense of it. Hmmm, mabye I'm more of an Empiricist then.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts