Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I love living with my dad, the crazy ISTP bastard.

My INTJ brother and I were hanging last night, watching some Bones episodes, munching on some candy, the bro drinking some beer. Perfect way to unwind after a long day at work.

When I got home, my dad was upstairs in his lair, at his control station as usual, watching his 14 inch TV and playing Farmville. I shouted up to him a curt greeting, he shouted one back. Then radio silence...business as usual.

Then, a couple hours later, my dad emerges from his cave, dressed in nothing but a scowl and his ******-tighties.

At this point, all three of us start to bicker and banter, mostly my brother telling my dad to get him another beer, my dad telling him to shut up, and me telling him to put some pants on.

Then we start harassing him about how he needs a woman. Dad: Right! Like I need a woman! Just someone who will make me do stuff! Then he goes into this rant about a woman at work.

The bantering continued, the bro still trying to wheedle the beer out of him, and me calling him a crazy geezer, dad jumping out of the kitchen and glaring at me, both my bro and me trying to keep a straight face, but failing miserably.

Finally, with a plate of cheese chips, he goes marching toward the stairs again.
My INTJ bro calls after: Aren't you chilly, dad? I'm chilly, and I got pants and a shirt on.
Me: He has rage for blood. He never gets chilly.
Bro: Right, I forgot about that. The rage never cools down.
Dad: *stalks back upstairs in haughty silence*
Bro: He didn't get me that beer! Shut down...I thought he was joking.
Me: I guess not.

After this exchange, my brother summed it up quite succinctly: we're scarred for life...we're never going to be normal.
Me: You're telling me!

But recalling that scene, I can't help thinking, life is good. I'd rather have my crazy, half-naked, reclusive dad, then a smothering one who tries to control my life.

·
Banned
160 Posts
lol, I enjoy your posts madhatter. I was thinking of starting a thread here asking what an ISTP father would be like... Looks like you covered it for me already. :laughing:

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I'm glad you're entertained. Ask me anything you like. It also helps that I have a unique understanding of him, since I'm ISTP, too. I find myself often translating my dad's motives and actions to my brother, who just doesn't understand him. They butt heads a lot.

Reactions: Namaste

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah ISTP dads are good to have :happy: there has never been any real restrictions like other parents do as long as he knows I'm safe

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad constantly tells me that he wished he lived alone, so he could walk around naked.

Reactions: ontic

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my, that is hilarious. :crazy: My brother and I think Farmville is the lamest game in the world. My dad will be harassing me about something, and then in retaliation, I'll throw in a "Farmville is lame." :proud: And I swear, he sounds like a five-year-old when he replies either "It is NOT!" or "YOU'RE lame!" depending on the day.

Reactions: Darner

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That video is the best :D
One Croatian made an awesome group of Facebook, entitled: "You envite me to Farmville one more time and I will burn your farm and slaughter your animals!" (Sadly, it sounds much more awesome in the original language :D)

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds awesome in English!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If you don't mind my asking....just curious about all the dynamics..was your mom ever in the picture for any great amount of time? What was her type and how did you interact with her?

I always wonder what it would be like if I changed my mind about having kids. I think having an ISTP kid would be cool...but being the odd one out would be...frustrating. Oh well, it's a 1 in 16 chance...I guess?

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you don't mind my asking....just curious about all the dynamics..was your mom ever in the picture for any great amount of time? What was her type and how did you interact with her?

I always wonder what it would be like if I changed my mind about having kids. I think having an ISTP kid would be cool...but being the odd one out would be...frustrating. Oh well, it's a 1 in 16 chance...I guess?
No, I don't mind at all. My mom has been in the picture forever. She's the type of mom where her entire world revolves around her kids. Type: INFJ

Early childhood was great. She would read to my siblings and me every day, take us to the museum, the park , the zoo, the beach. I hardly ever remember watching TV, except when dad got home.

Through my teenage years, my mom and I butted heads. I was pissed at her for divorcing my dad, and I didn't forgive her for years.

We never really got into any fights, but they were silent skirmishes. I was so much like my dad, even then. I knew that drove her crazy.

I couldn't talk to her...at all. We can now, but it's been a long process. At that time in our relationship, I wanted to be straight with her, but I often felt that she was too busy justifying herself to listen, so I wouldn't talk to her about things.

One time (I can't remember how old I was, 14-16?), well, my mom wanted me to go to counseling. Just imagine my ISTP disdain. (I had already had a bad experience with a "therapist" too.) But I agreed to go for a certain number of sessions, to make her happy. I would do crazy crap, too, just to mess with the counselor's mind, like saw at Spongebob Squarepants' face with a toy knife. :proud::crazy:

Well, even before I started the sessions, I knew that I didn't need counseling. And I talked to my dad about it. I told him I didn't want to do the counseling anymore, and he told me to finish the sessions that I promised, and then quit if I wanted to. It was entirely up to me. (Such ISTP advice.)

So, I sat down with mom, and told her I decided that I wasn't going to continue with the counseling, that I felt that I didn't need it. When I was explaining it to her, I made the mistake of mentioning my dad. My mom went nutty, and said my dad was brainwashing me.

I've never been more insulted in my life. I had always been a strong-minded individual, and she basically told me that I didn't have a brain and couldn't think for myself. Oh, did I lay into her that day.

It's all water under the bridge now, but thinking back, she had to be pretty bitter with my dad to say that to me, because both she and my dad taught us to think for ourselves.

When I was 13 or 14, I wanted to move out of my mom's house, and move in with my dad. It was hard, because not only had they divorced, but my mom had remarried. I didn't like him, and I thought he was a fruitcake (he is a fruitcake, but at least he's a harmless fruitcake! Different story though). Well, my mom didn't want me to move out. Well, then I said very bluntly that I was moving as soon as I turned 18.

And I did. I must say, my relationship with my mom improved drastically after I moved out. She drove me up the wall. She would come into my room to get the laundry, and she would clean and straighten! :angry: She messed up my system!! I still to this day don't know where some stuff is...she couldn't remember what she did with it. I remember that I actually woke her up in the middle of the night to yell at her after she did that once...not one of my finest moments. :mellow: Well, after that happened a couple times, I just started doing my own laundry, and shutting the door. NO TRESPASSING!

Oh, and if you haven't guessed it by now, she's OCD and a neat freak. You'd come in, set your keys down on the counter, come back five minutes later to get them, and she would have moved them already.

But, we have a pretty solid relationship now. I almost have her trained not to leave five minute voice mails. I rue the day I showed her how to use Facebook.

Edit: Bit of information overload. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Why did they get divorced? I'm always curious what people think of their parents post-divorce, since I can only imagine what my kids are thinking about me.
I do not say ANYTHING negative about their father. But he has a new fiance and they swing into town to stuff them full of candy and act like they are the most loving people...but I'm the one raising these kids for most of the year. I think when they are teenagers they will be old enough for me to tell them the truth, if they can't figure it out for themselves. Their dad is a very selfish, abusive man. I don't want to be blamed for the divorce once they are old enough to "get it". :frustrating:

sorry to make this about me, whoops. lol

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why did they get divorced? I'm always curious what people think of their parents post-divorce, since I can only imagine what my kids are thinking about me.
I do not say ANYTHING negative about their father. But he has a new fiance and they swing into town to stuff them full of candy and act like they are the most loving people...but I'm the one raising these kids for most of the year. I think when they are teenagers they will be old enough for me to tell them the truth, if they can't figure it out for themselves. Their dad is a very selfish, abusive man. I don't want to be blamed for the divorce once they are old enough to "get it". :frustrating:

sorry to make this about me, whoops. lol
Well, I'd say they both contributed to it in some way. My mom was the one who filed for divorce, hence my blaming her. My dad didn't want the divorce. She also made me a promise once that she would never divorce my dad, and she broke the promise and broke the trust I had in her for a long time.

My dad had a lot of emotional baggage that he hadn't dealt with, and had a serious temper and mood swings. He would lash out, and could be verbally abusive. Well, my mom's INFJ, so while I believe her (and remember stuff too), there are some things that were just ISTP oblivious bluntness in there too, and my mom is pretty sensitive. (He got some counseling for that during and after the divorce, so he is so much more controlled now then he used to be.) I think that she probably didn't get the emotional support that she needed from him, either.

Now, my mom...they would get into an argument, and he'd be trying to talk to her, and she'd just shut down on him. Drove him crazy, like she understood nothing he said, like nothing was getting through and making a connection (which is ironic, because I had this same problem with her as a teen; it's like we spoke mutually unintelligible languages). I put it down to her aversion to confrontation. She also had her own emotional baggage that she never dealt with.

I believe that they never understood each other, even after being married for 18 years. Two introverts not willing to open up and share themselves with each other as man and wife should. Both made some huge mistakes...my dad really dropped the ball and he admits it. My mom tried to make it work for years.

But it was an ugly divorce. Really bad memories...

MissFixit, my dad would never say anything negative about my mom either. He would never take the bait and get into fights with her, even when she had some of her crazy moments. He would never say anything bad about my mom's husband. He nearly knocked my brother upside the head for bad mouthing her one day. I think that's a big reason why my siblings and I aren't really F'ed up, like some kids from divorced families.

Reactions: Linnifae

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Madhatter, I'm reading this months after your posts, recalling my parents divorce and my ISTP dad. As far as I have been able to determine he was an ISTP. He was very laid back. He would read for hours at a time and was extremely intelligent and spontaneous. He rarely got angry and he hated disciplining us kids but my mom would make him.

And what is it about underwear and ISTP dads? Mine wore boxers and black socks and dress shoes to mow the lawn, and he always seemd to be mowing it when we got off the school bus...

Your misadventure threads are fun to read. Really funny. :')

Reactions: madhatter

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Madhatter, I'm reading this months after your posts, recalling my parents divorce and my ISTP dad. As far as I have been able to determine he was an ISTP. He was very laid back. He would read for hours at a time and was extremely intelligent and spontaneous. He rarely got angry and he hated disciplining us kids but my mom would make him.

And what is it about underwear and ISTP dads? Mine wore boxers and black socks and dress shoes to mow the lawn, and he always seemd to be mowing it when we got off the school bus...

Your misadventure threads are fun to read. Really funny. :')
Yay for ISTP dads! Ha, I don't know if my dad would ever mow the lawn in his underwear...he does with his shirt off sometimes.

And I'm glad you like my misadventures. I could probably write more, but most of the things seem boring and not worth mentioning.

Reactions: Lilsnowy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts