Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:frustrating: ok this is frustrating and just have to vent it, maybe its important as to what quadra or type pays as much attention to such things and maybe someone here can relate.

In situations where people are around I'm extremely aware of the mood or the emotional content of the situation (doesen't matter if its one to one or group or whatever). Now as probably every sane person I prefer it to be pleasant or acceptable at the very least and it is one of the main / major reasons I tend towards isolation, it can bother me to that degree and if I can't change it (happens a lot) I'd rather avoid it.

It goes as far as wanting to quit jobs, avoiding people, groups of people, family gatherings etc.. Prefer having a comfortable or happy / pleasant or exiting or whatever positive mood in the air :S.

Wtf is this? I feel it everywhere, on a bus, at home, at the office, on the street etc. Sometimes positive sometimes negative or anywhere in between.

I tend to joke in tense situations for this very reason and can barely avoid asking ppl what is wrong if its not obvious and the mood bothers me to that extent, enjoy rock concerts and the crowd for the very same reason.

Even rooms and places or objects can give off this vibe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know, sounds kind of like Si, perhaps with Fe.

"Generally SEI tries to avoid tension by any means necessary. If a conflict flares up between others he tries to play the intermediary in order to reconcile the opposing parties as soon as possible. Most of the time his tactic is to walk away from tense situations, to return to a psychologically convenient territory, return to sensory comfort."

"His tendency to provide pleasure for himself and close ones frequently serves to make him the soul of the gathering. But if a group does not serve to please him he will simply find another circle of people that he finds more likeable."

"Values his peace and knows how to move away from any sources of irritation."

Sorry, I can't really relate, but it sounds pretty draining to be constantly aware of the emotions given off by practically everything (objects, rooms, etc.). I would probably sleep a lot.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know, sounds kind of like Si, perhaps with Fe.

"Generally SEI tries to avoid tension by any means necessary. If a conflict flares up between others he tries to play the intermediary in order to reconcile the opposing parties as soon as possible. Most of the time his tactic is to walk away from tense situations, to return to a psychologically convenient territory, return to sensory comfort."

"His tendency to provide pleasure for himself and close ones frequently serves to make him the soul of the gathering. But if a group does not serve to please him he will simply find another circle of people that he finds more likeable."

"Values his peace and knows how to move away from any sources of irritation."

Sorry, I can't really relate, but it sounds pretty draining to be constantly aware of the emotions given off by practically everything (objects, rooms, etc.). I would probably sleep a lot.
o.o yeah that's what I was thinking, but then I remembered I can't deal with detail or I fall asleep :p and I suck at "comforting" and such stuff plus at emotional expression (one should never expect me to act or to take care of other people's emotions...just can't do it).

It does sound like Fe thou...with Si and yeah it can suck, which is why I avoid situations where its very negative.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I get this a lot too, I think it's just having the social instinct first + six cowardice at uncomfortable situations

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
o.o your profile says SEE thou..hmmm, but yeah I agree.
I purposely fuck up my profile settings because people don't need to judge other people according to these personality typing systems. It's a reminder to myself and hopefully to others as well.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Hmm, I actually don't think about it much. If it affects me, it's more on a subconscious level. I can be nervous when I'm around other people, although I've never felt much about people on the bus. I actually sleep very well when I'm on the bus. :kitteh: (...'Cause I get motion-sick easily so I take a nap so I won't throw up. :unsure:)

·
Registered
390 Posts
What exactly makes you so sensitive to it? Do you know what exactly you fear in negative atmospheres? (I'm using the word 'fear' because you're a 6, thinking it is a part of that, but I just wanted to know if you've thought about why you feel this way at all, not that it actually IS a fear.)

I can relate a little, I think, though maybe not exactly how you describe it. I used to be more like this though not so much lately and not usually when I am around people I know well - it tends to happen more with strangers that I get super-sensitive to their emotions, how they say something, if there's negativity "in the air," etc., trying to figure out why so I can fix it. With people I know well I don't have to play these games because it's usually "I'm (not) pissed off at you," and now I know, lol.

I also really dislike when people are rude to others in public places, which creates negativity... that just stresses me out, too. Conflicts aren't my thing either. =/

·
Registered
21 Posts
It does sound like Fe, but maybe also enneagram 6, like Hurricane said. I avoid large crowds like the plague. There is too much emotional information to take in and I feel very on edge. My mind goes wild visualizing worst case scenarios and I’m continuously in flight/fight mode.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
6 with Fe here, and I relate strongly to OP.

Is it sixyness, Fe, hsp, social anxiety, intuitive empathy, ptsd.. I don't know, but I relate.

In the past, when I have lived with people who emotionally stonewall me, its been about the most uncomfortable thing ever. It makes the living situation (home should be a sanctuary) into something unpredictable and destabilizing. Its the best way to make me resent the fuck out of someone.

When I have had to endure a work environment full of drama, I bail. I can feel the tension in the air, and the nasty pettiness.. I lose the will to go. Unfortunately most work places are full of small-minded little twits who need to create drama in order to feel more important. I have left great jobs for crappy labour jobs just to get away from the people.

Rooms and places - I relate to that too. Every time I have moved into a new place, some rooms 'feel' better than others. I usually pick a comfortable spot instinctively. I've wondered if this has to do with electromagnetic sensitivity though. Who knows.

Reactions: soya

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
For an interesting contrast I have pretty much zero clue what you even talk about. I think I can notice very abrupt changes in say, tension, but I tend to do so more because it stopped all of sudden. Kind of like who the fuck stopped the music?

If people themselves are too openly emotional I leave but it's different. I think the part of not noticing tension until it's not there could be because I'm sx first. The rest I don't know.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What exactly makes you so sensitive to it? Do you know what exactly you fear in negative atmospheres? (I'm using the word 'fear' because you're a 6, thinking it is a part of that, but I just wanted to know if you've thought about why you feel this way at all, not that it actually IS a fear.)
Idk what makes me sensitive to it, I just seem to be :\, I pick up on it and am concious of such things.

I'm not sure its fear I just get this crappy feeling in my cheast area like a heavy grey mass begins nesting in there and gains weight the longer I'm exposed to tense negative moods coming from others. I gain energy and feel good in positive places or with people who are like that. I guess the bad feeling in my stomach area could be anxiety thou, it just irritating being in that situation.

:\ its especially annoying when ppl seem to have a problem and nobody says what the frelling problem is...and I'm left there feeling like somethings wrong, but I don't know what...

Going out into the forest for example cleans this feeling away, I like nature for that specific reason. There are other places ike this long park with benches on 2 sides up a hill and old style lantern lighting next to each bench, trees on both sides creating an arch overhead :p its kinda cool and makes me feel good just being there.

A home needs to be warm, cozy and inviting imo, void of ppl who ooze tension and keep stuff in (even if I suck at being orderly I need that and my mental state is reflected in how fracked up my surroundings get).

When haloween or christmas rolls around there tends to be this special feeling in the air too etc.. o.o you guys don't get that?

Exactly what @Promethea says.

It does sound like Fe, but maybe also enneagram 6, like Hurricane said. I avoid large crowds like the plague. There is too much emotional information to take in and I feel very on edge. My mind goes wild visualizing worst case scenarios and I’m continuously in flight/fight mode.
This sounds like social anxiety issues. Large crowds can be hazae if there is no special event going on. I get nothing but noise and don't feel like running away :p..used to thou. If I focus on specific people I will get moods thou.

For an interesting contrast I have pretty much zero clue what you even talk about. I think I can notice very abrupt changes in say, tension, but I tend to do so more because it stopped all of sudden. Kind of like who the fuck stopped the music?

If people themselves are too openly emotional I leave but it's different. I think the part of not noticing tension until it's not there could be because I'm sx first. The rest I don't know.
Probably Fe PoLR due to Te creative.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does sound like Fe; or it could just be a manifestation of some kind of anxiety - perhaps social?

As a side note, I don't really relate to the OP.
:p I know the difference between freaking out in a group due to anxiety and wanting to escape my grandmother's silent - toxic presence. I get this thing even one on one with ppl I know well.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am personally really aware of moods and all sorts of "vibes" (and I don't really always want to be, it's just something I pick up on). I also tend to over-empathise. If the latter is the case, I sometimes need to remove myself from situations, but that requires a more personal level of communication in the first place. And that can be uncomfortable at times, I just think my coping strategies have improved with age.

In more impersonal situations (with strangers or people I don't know well), I also feel negative emotions (or positive ones for that matter), also the ones that are just bubbling under the surface, but I don't find that particularly stressing. It's pretty much feeling it, quickly processing it and then working with it or leaving it be. So on that level, I don't really have problems.

If it's that extreme all the time, I agree with what others already said. Could be something like being HSP?

Reactions: liminalthought

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
:p I know the difference between freaking out in a group due to anxiety and wanting to escape my grandmother's silent - toxic presence. I get this thing even one on one with ppl I know well.
I see. Well, I guess I was looking at it from a perspective influenced by personal experience. In the past I have struggled with mild social anxiety and the best way I can describe it was my obsessive focus on the emotional atmosphere and 'vibes' from others around me. If I detected anything negative it would leave me feeling uncomfortable and even a little stressed. In healthier states I am not so bothered by it. In fact, it makes me more uncomfortable when people are unwilling to acknowledge and confront negatively in favor of keeping the peace and maintaining a 'lighter' atmosphere. It frustrates the hell out of me.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If it's that extreme all the time, I agree with what others already said. Could be something like being HSP?
Could be, I don't test HSP :)P I sleep on the floor for example and listen to "nasty-strong" music), it could be I'm HSP, I need to look into it and reconsider. The vibes are irritating, I have no control over it either, but I can distance myself from the empathic involvement and aproach things in a more "Ok so whats the problem? I can fix it, tell me." -way, cant distance myself from feeling it as irritation thou.

@Kintsugi it could be that I'm scared on some level, because I hate conflict and I can feel it brewing under the surface. Times like those I just avoid it completely...I can't deal with the actual drama explosion that is coming or deal with it badly lol, it scares me to be honest.

Yeah there is a point where its not tolerable anymore and needs to be opened and bled dry of the emotional energy for healing to begin (plus I jus need it out of the way if I can't escape it). Completely agree with needing to have things in the open. Having it beneath the surface just poisons the mood.

I grew up in a home where the air was tense 24/7 and conflict could suddenly erupt out of nowhere so maybe I'm trained to feel it coming? Maybe I'm attuned to it because of that?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
@Kintsugi it could be that I'm scared on some level, because I hate conflict and I can feel it brewing under the surface. Times like those I just avoid it completely...I can't deal with the actual drama explosion that is coming or deal with it badly lol, it scares me to be honest.

Yeah there is a point where its not tolerable anymore and needs to be opened and bled dry of the emotional energy for healing to begin (plus I jus need it out of the way if I can't escape it). Completely agree with needing to have things in the open. Having it beneath the surface just poisons the mood.

I grew up in a home where the air was tense 24/7 and conflict could suddenly erupt out of nowhere so maybe I'm trained to feel it coming? Maybe I'm attuned to it because of that?
I don't think any of this is necessarily function related. I grew up in a similar environment.

Heh, oh look, we are boths 6's as well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts