Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't quite know what I'm talking about, "the mood" is thus:

INFPs have this state of mind that I will call "the mood." This "mood" occurs when all of the negativity the INFP pushes back in their psyche comes creeping out to get them. In this state of mind the INFP will feel majorly depressed for any amount of time, varying from person to person. They will remember random negative emotions from decades ago and will feel them vividly. This is all a process where the mind is releasing negativity. It can last any amount of time (it's absolutely relative to the individual), and after that mood is over they will feel fine. This is often confused with INFPs being bipolar.
And some questions to reflect on:
Do you actually experience "the mood?" How does it affect you? How long does it last? Is it more severe or more mild than described above? When was your last "mood?"

Anything else you can think of relating to "the mood" would be ace to hear about, as well!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yeah, I get that. Thankfully it's not often anymore, and it doesn't last long. The mood is just those random bouts of irritation and depression that get you down. I feel like I'm going crazy and that my mind will quite literally explode. I think that when I'm in an unhappy place, it's more likely to come about.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"the mood" eh, sums it up quite well. My experience with 'the mood': I first got it last year. lasted ages, about 3 months. this year ive had a few short 1 or sometimes 2 week long bursts. absolutely horrible thing. when im in the mood, like I am now, I have no energy for much at all. I can hardly be bothered getting out of bed in the morning. During the day I just cannot concentrate, its like your mind is just screaming at you and when you listen its virtually impossible to know whats even going through your head. something that gets you down plays on loop. daydreams become violent, negative scenes. i tend to get quite judgemental, when i get a look from a stranger ill think "fag", "homo" etc, stuff i never usily do. It feels like you havent slept enough, even when you have. in a word, depressed. and for some wierd reason (when i had it for the first time) I absolutely fell in 'love' with this girl and she was the only positive thoughts i would have which i guess drove me further in 'love' with her. the end result was a total figment of my imagination but with her name and face.
still, it was a life defining experience (my first one) that has just changed me completely in many good ways, i dunno its hard to explain

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I get "the mood" from time to time. Last time was about.. in the start of this month. It was very depressing for me. All the old fears and feelings emerged and I was very, very vulnerable and confused.

"A little girl in the corner of the cave, all lost and confused... and the rain keeps falling from the sky..despair..loneliness....and when she falls asleep with the tears in her eyes she hopes to never wake up again.. " <- This is how it feels when I'm experiencing "the mood".

But it feels amazing when it's all over... like learning to live again.. :happy:
And the sun shines again..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I would say that quote sums up my experiences with "the mood" quite well.

For me, it might last for a couple/few days, and I'll just sort of stick to myself and try not to draw any attention. I often feel quite ridiculous that in this, you know, one sad/angry/whatever moment, I am recalling all of these other times I've felt just as negative. I suppose some would call it a pity party, but I don't enjoy the experience (obviously) and wish it wouldn't happen. I'm so aware of how irrational my emotions can be, and I try to rationalize them... And, honestly, attempting to rationalize my emotions is often what puts me in "the mood," because it keeps me from freely venting to anyone, and then I just feel overwhelmed and alone for not wanting to bother others with my emotions, which I always feel are petty.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was last night. Didn't last long was defeated quite quickly, but my Facebook status reflects when I'm in one. I try to use these to my advantage now of how I used to be, but remember I'm not that way any longer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I've accepted it as a part of life...part of my inner cycles. Generally, my short term "mood" coincides with PMS to be honest. I haven't experienced a long bout of depression in a few years thank God.

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Not really. If I get in a mood it's usually the result of an external/physical irritation or stimuli and my bad moods don't last too long. I love life too much and I don't want to spend my time not in a good way.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
If I get "the mood," and there is no music available to me, holyshitwe'reintrouble.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've experienced the mood quite a lot. It makes me almost completely shut down and I feel very tired all the time and emotionally drained. It usually last for a couple of weeks if it's really bad. It's pretty much the same as the description says, not too much more severe. My last mood was couple of weeks ago, but it was pretty mild. The last really bad one was at the end of July. Music is usually a very big help and sometimes weather helps and talking to someone too.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
i get into a mood very frequently but i think it is because my energy is drained. It usually goes away after a day or 2.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It usually last several days for me. However, during these days I'm able to snap out of it when I have to; I can feel the intense sadness and the urge to cry, but I wait until I'm alone to unleash it.

Also, when I have "the mood" it's like I've always had it and always will have it. And when I look back at being happy, I see that the happiness is just a vast shield I've created in my mind to protect me from the horrifying truths of my life.

When I'm happy, though, and look back on "the mood", the experienced sadness seems ridiculous to me; it becomes obvious to me that I was just focusing on the wrong side of the matters...

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, guys. I was wondering exactly how much variation everyone had...

For me, it usually lasts a few hours, but I try not to show anyone. Sometimes it will last for days. I'll become more quiet, withdrawn into my head. Brooding is a requirement for the mood. The intensity always varies: during one episode I'll want to cry and during another I just want to be alone. During the worser ones is when I tend to turn on the sad music and do nothing but dwell. This usually doesn't last for more than two days.

More often--like every other day often--I'll get "jolts" of bad memories that make me feel bad for a few minutes. Sort of like a "mini mood," I guess. It's really annoying.

MilkyLatte, I can relate to what you said about viewpoints. It's hard to see a reason to be happy during "the mood." Trying to cheer me up is very hard, almost impossible.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
For me its not usually internally generated but almost exclusively situational. Although it comes and goes pretty easily. I am highly susceptible to influences.
And that is not just to situations but also to being tired, sensorily overwhelmed or because its cold and dark outside.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts