Personality Cafe banner

Which personality makeup lends itself to arrogance?

• ESTJ

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • ESFJ

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • ISTJ

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • ISFJ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • ENTJ

Votes: 42 27.8%
  • ENFJ

• INTJ

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • INFJ

• ESTP

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • ESFP

• ISTP

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • ISFP

• ENTP

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTP

• INFP

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the 16 types do you you find most inherintly arrogant?

Arrogance: 'An insulting way of behaving and thinking that comes from the belief that you are better than others'

·
Registered
930 Posts
Online maybe. IRL I find them quite unassuming
INTJ's, yeah :p but the ENTJ's just calm it down into more of a subtle arrogance that's so charming you can't call them out on it >.<
ESTP's get accused of this, but it tends to be more pure confidence that they've worked for rather than arrogance.

But I'm guessing pretty much every extroverted type and a couple of the intorverted ones will have genuinely arrogant people.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
INTJ's, yeah :p but the ENTJ's just calm it down into more of a subtle arrogance that's so charming you can't call them out on it >.<
ESTP's get accused of this, but it tends to be more pure confidence that they've worked for rather than arrogance.

But I'm guessing pretty much every extroverted type and a couple of the intorverted ones will have genuinely arrogant people.
Imo ESTPs are the most inherently arrogant type that have been born with overconfidence and have no qualms about showing it.

Its their functional stacking I believe.

When in a social setting the ESTP will come off more dominant and showy than the ENTJ.

I have met arrogant ENFPs, ISFPs, ENTPs and so on but they all seem to be compensating for insecurity whereas for the ESTP arragonce is like a personality trait they were born with and behavior that seems natural for them

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I've found that ENTJs are inherently arrogant individuals. My ENTJ friend, who is usually a benevolent and amicable person, can unintentionally act oppressive and condescending towards others. Despite being one of his best friends, I cannot confront him without being a little intimidated by the air of arrogance that perpetually surrounds him.

On the other hand, my ESTP friend is a relaxed and laid-back guy who only shows a modicum of arrogance when we're playing football or talking about video games.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
The ENTP I'm sort of friends with has gotten kind of irritatingly arrogant as of late. Looking back, I can kind of see it in our earlier interactions but now it's just annoying. I don't know enough ESTPs in person to pick that one but I've found ENTPs' natural intelligence to be a contributing factor to their arrogance. They're smart and popular and they know it.

I think the reason some of the intuitive types don't tend to flaunt their intelligence is because the NFs have a tendency toward self doubt and the other NTs don't see the point.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I have to contend to ENTJ; they appear arrogant, but they're really just enforcing what makes sense. They will scrap their plans if you show them it DOESN'T.

I'm going to call it out: All the Pi doms, including Si and Ni doms. Why? They kind of live in their own perception of reality, in which logic (Te) and right/wrong (Fe) is clearly delineated in their minds. What makes sense and what does not sometimes doesn't even depend on the external.

What is 'right' and 'wrong' can even be warped; the annals of Nazi doctor listings are filled with what would be very, very caring people(I forget his name. but many kids went with him out of their own will because of how friendly and kind he treated them, until the experiments)--aside from--you know, testing shit that killed the children. In their minds, the children were going to a better place for the betterment of humanity, despite the many cries of torture they heard. This is very very warped Pi+Fe at its best.

·
Banned
710 Posts
I voted ESTP, but reading the posts I realized that ENTP is just as much or more capable of arrogance. The fact that they are often really damn smart can snowball and give them almost a megalomaniac flavour.

I recently realized I need to spend less time with my ENTP buddy as his arrogance and general ridiculousness is kind of toxic for me. He has this kind of playful, self-serving cynicism which ensures he's always right no matter what, and I feel it is damaging to the kind of honesty and authenticity I'm trying to build in myself.

ENTJ's don't seem arrogant insomuch as unaware of how much they tend to steamroll through people's opinions and feelings.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I voted ISFP, though I would want to vote for all Fi doms, because well, it's Fi dom. They are probably the type I want to piss off the least on this planet as in seriously pissing off.

In the end though, arrogance is subjective experience and probably not at all linked to personality types.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
throwing in my feather for xNTJ

personal experience with a particular INTJ lends its hand. I think it comes from the tendency to obsess over "competence" and that adolescent Fi seems to lead to self-absorption. At least Fi-doms typically have that shit developed by the time an ego can rear its ugly head.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I think SP arrogance is different. Take Madonna; she's really arrogant about what she can do, not what will be. Take Stifler from American Pie (dramatization ESTP); it's very much 'I can do this, you can't'. It isn't really based on abstract conception like Ni/Si doms.

NP arrogance seems to be in whatever idea they have gathered at the time. Though arrogant, it, IMO, seems the most forgiving of the 4 because it's almost child-like in innocence.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Acting arrogant or true arrogance? In my experience, mostly people with strong Te are the latter. I've seen many of the former, especially ISFP, ENTP and ENFP.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I voted ENTP because I know they will be upset if they aren't the best in everything, even arrogance. It's 'kay. I don't mind giving you this one, ENTPs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it's important to distinguish between external and internal arrogance. I'm not sure about external arrogance. For internal arrogance, though, I'd imagine INT* (INTP myself). I constantly think I'm better than everyone else; it's just that instead of showing it by insulting others, I disregard their existences completely.

·
Registered
101 Posts
INFJs are the most arrogant. They can use their Ni and Fe to make a character and act like an Englishman and talk like one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts