Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most as "what would appear to me" famouse ENFP stereotype, your call true or not?

Ok first time I've made a thread here in a loooooonnng time, not just the ENFP forum but Personality Cafe in general. Great place to start, right?

Note: If you want to get straight to the question, second half of second paragraph. I never delete what I type, seems dishonest, disengenuine, even contrived, probably not inauthentic but maybe a relattive, and selling myself short on what really transpired, .... prob exactly what I wrote what I wrote in the 1st and therefore obv thought what I thought. I would say I don't advocate reading, but no harm~

Anyways, the other night I had got lost in randomly surfing the internet, a rarity for me these days, which assuredly I can attest is... a pretty good thing. Still life is not without it's seldom occurences which should not be treated with shame (doing lesser activities) I am learning: possibly sometimes the cheesy, the non-sublime, in passing moments are okay. Balance I'm learning.... whuuuuUU.. whoooo.... c'mon Brooks let's not try to ramble to much, of course then again rambling is one of things that are very good for me, new ideas, new thoughts, new perspectives, most importantly new questions, stimulation... I suppose what I really should watch out for is when I lose the ability to reaquire my previous thought and can't get back on the tracks and the train will cease without it's driver and that thought will never be finished. That's very true, so I guess the cliche forgive the rambling works two ways, forgive me and I forgive myself because rambling is a good thing... plus I get to color outside the lines. I suppose in the end it's more interesting, more roaming, it's playing as opposed to working.. and I for sure would admire and strive for that more than a strictly monotanous existence, and therefore thought process... hmm, so when I stop rambling then I'll need to watch out for now, I'll celebrate it. huh.... So back on point if I can find it~

The other night yeah, I was on the internet and I saw a picture of one of those Caption Images, with one word/thingg and then there is a caption. Well believe it or not it was an ENFP. It was something more or less along the lines that their I wouldn't say a sex maniac? but... hmm as I twinge my eyes in searching confusion.. sex enthusiast? Yes, that's much better~ So yeah, anyways it was a cool picture so I went on goodgle and looked up other MBTI personality type caption pictures. Well this is where the question plays in... I would say more than half of all the picture/captions I saw had the ENFP depicted in one universal life-- involving sex and their enthusiastic for it? Well I had to ask myself out of sterotypical confirmation or debunking, and of more- curiosity. Is that really how you see yourself as. Forget that that's the accepted sterotype. Do you guys actually see yourselves a self-described sex enthusist, or whatever other adjective/noun you'd like. And if not in the terms of how you stand in the fishbowl alone, do you see yourselves that way (driven more so) than the other personality types?

Now I read through articles, portraits and so forth which is fine but I figured why not just go to the source, ENFPs directly. So I'm asking you guys if you see yourselves this way?

longer then I wanted (..initially at least~)

thanks,
peace~

Edit: I spelled Famous wrong, sorry~

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Bah, I'm no "sex-enthusiast". I had good sex consistently for 2 straight years, and now I feel like I'm good without it for the rest of my life. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Sex is great but I planning stay single for a very long time unless someone amazing comes along

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
When I answered yes...I'd like to state I'm most definitely not promiscuous in any way. I just think about sex a lot...especially if it's not happening on a regular basis. Enthusiastic was a great word to describe how I feel about it... :happy:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I think about sex all the time. I love sex. I need sex to stay sane, honestly.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
"Enthusiastic" is my middle name.

No. It really is: Lil Enthusiastic Snowy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sex enthusiast ? No way. Intimacy on the other hand (which may or may not involve sex) is something I absolutely crave. To connect emotionally with someone is everything. Without that emotional connection sex is really not an option for me. I simply do not enjoy it.

My vote is for intimacy. There IS a difference:happy:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
yes, I absolutely agree, Wildheart. There is a difference. If you know the person you're attracted to doesn't feel deeply toward you, you can forsee the lack of fullfillment and bonding and it isn't worth it. (BUt that won't stop a lot of people who feel it's a sensory experience and totally seperate from love.)

But sex is powerful! I am very enthusiastic about it! There is nothing like it physically to draw us closer and make us feel intensely toward one another. I really think it's designed to make marriages strong because it's so incredibly powerful; it helps us feel closer even when we go through times of trial.

Reactions: Essay

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lilsnowy. Your words regarding sex are inspirational. Your words about sex and marriage even more-so. However, they may not be applicable to everyone's`life or experiences (unfortunately). But then again, the same applies to my own words.

For some of us, the ability to simply let go and lose ourselves in the physical sensations with another seems/seemed impossible, too selfish, or at least extremely difficult... even when we wish it otherwise, and even in the presence of intimacy. As a result we may derive erroneous conclusions about ourselves and make choices (conscious and unconscious) with regard to suitable mates that may be less than ideal for our personality type. These choices then feedback into reinforcing our erroneous conclusions. Such a person may ultimately become a consummate pleaser in the bedroom to the extent that they will deny themselves endlessly. The fact is, they have learned/know of nothing else. In other words, a disproportionate degree of satisfaction is placed solely on the act of pleasing others, and this may be related to the ENFP personality type. Of course this can be wonderful for your lover... so long as they are of a personality type that is not particularly concerned about pleasing others themselves. It also tends to feed into the stereotype that we are sex enthusiasts when really we are just so eager to please.

For some, the loss of the sense of self with regard to sex that occurs with this can be insidious and profound. Especially for personality types like ours. Ultimately, deep sexual satisfaction becomes elusive as long as someone else is present to be "pleased".

I am, however, coming to believe that this could be avoided if but one single mate was able to recognize the truth of the situation early on in life and guide the "pleaser" along a more balanced path. But the problem is, pleasers tends to attract those who are only interested in being pleased.

Fuck...life is complicated:wink: You should see me interpret a Rorschach test.:confused:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Yes, Wildheart, my words will never apply to everyone; they're just my opinion.

I think if emotional intimacy and trust are lacking, sex can be less pleasurable for ENFPs. Mutuality and intimacy are so important to us generally. I also think sexual pleasure is in giving but also in receiving, in submerging yourself in sensual sound and sensation. If you can't connect to the other person or to the enviroment, it will be less pleasurable. People may have a variety of issues related to sex: heartbreak, sexual abuse, guilt or body image issues which can hinder their enthusiasm.

But the simple question here is how do we see ourselves related to the stereotype? I don't think it's an ENFP trait exclusively as the poster says, but I am very enthusiastic about sex. I think it's uniquely powerful and amazing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lilsnowy. Regarding the "simple question" relating ENFP`s to the stereotype of being "sex enthusiasts", I absolutely agree with you. We are really not all that unique compared to the other personality types (IMO). However, via my somewhat off-topic response I hoped to point out that we may be an unusually complicated lot of individuals who do not fit well with such stereotypes in general.

As opposed to being "sex enthusiasts", I would suggest we are more like a group of overly complex people enthusiasts . Which includes immersion into all the nuances and quirks that go along with that particular hobby. In other words, the sky is the limit. We are anything and everything when it comes to "people" issues. Including sex.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
yes, I would love to see posters that say we are people enthusiasts! I notice some of the posters for ISTPs INTPs etc, don't seem to make sense, so who knows what people are thinking when they make them.

I wouldn't say we aren't unique as a type, just that people of all types are enthusiastic about sex. I think ENFPs are known for falling in love so maybe that's equated with sex to the people doing the posters.

Actually, 'people enthusiasts" is a great description! :')

·
Registered
24 Posts
"ENPFs are known for falling in Love" ? Oh God, you mean you have it too ? ?:shocked:

...no wonder my shock therapy didn`t work.

P.S. I am new here. I think it might be showing:blushed:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I go through spurts where it's all I ever think about and then others where it's the last thing I think about. I have fibromyalgia though and it's hard to feel aroused during the times when you can barely move. :sad:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
No amount of aversion therapy seems to work. Nothing can sway ENFPs entirely from love.
We fall and we fall hard! We love our friends almost as loves. And our loves... We love HARD.

It sucks. :')

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I agree, I never thought of it as an ENFP thing, but the more I've researched, yeah, sex plays an important role in my life. But I'm not one for random one-night stands. I honestly prefer to be in a loving relationship. But then again, I find that I'm very enthusiastic in love. I'm always quick to make sure that any girlfriend of mine has a had a good day, is feeling well and happy. I'm inherently quick to ask and listen to every detail of her day, and I find myself pretty much giving myself to them. This has led to a lot of unpleasant experiences on my part, but I try and stick it out until there's just no taking the manipulation of my good nature anymore. But even though I know I can come across as almost "too caring" (if such a thing is possible), I just can't seem to shake it... Is this a common problem that other ENFPs face? Or is this intense level of feeling (which can onset like a Tsunami) peculiar to me? :confused:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Praodox, I would say yes, seeming too caring, or too intense, is a common problem ENFPs face. And we orten seem to be attracted to the ones who are the opposite, so it gets messy. :')

1 - 20 of 26 Posts