Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the most important thing you can learn about someone are things they can't tell you themself.

I could tell you who I am or I could show you.

I dont let very many people get close to me, but the ones I do--they know me. Some people have a desire for everyone to see their life play out on the internet and social media, but that's never been me. The most special moments in my life I share with the people close to me..and on occasion, a semi-anonomous forum of like-minded strangers ;). There is nothing wrong with being open in that way, but it's unnatural for me to do that.

What is your relationship with social media?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I can understand why people are fans of social media. I can understand why people sped an endless amount of time waiting for updates from friends, followers or whatever they call them nowadays. I can understand why people enjoy receiving likes, thumbs ups or whatever they call them nowadays. Regardless I'm not a fan.

Social media is anti-social (to me) I have 548 facebook friends and unlike myspace where it's easy to just meet random people from around the world facbook is typically people you know/have known in real life. Out of that 548 I only ever actually talked to a handful...maybe like 10. Sure on your birthday you get a torrent of "happy birthday" messages but that is it. The equal to internet "small talk" where a conversation afterwards to "reconnect" or be social in general is usually meant with unanswered replies.

I get it. Just because someone adds you as a friend doesn't mean they have to talk or interact with you however if that is the case then why add them as a friend in the first place? On myspace I made an effort to talk to complete strangers that I added, ask how their day was, etc. Sure I was low key trying to get a girlfriend while doing so however once it became apparent that dating was out of the question I still wanted to know more about the person, their interests and so on. That's back when the phone internet sucked because nowadays you can talk to people on social media in real time by default and it's just like receiving text messages. The sad truth is that it's gotten even easier to respond to people however people (from my observations) are too lazy to even do that.

The golden age of "social media" for me was when I was on mysapce back when I was in high school because people actually seemed interested in being "social" even with strangers. I talked to hundreds of people and learned so much from our interactions. However nowadays since social media is so "anti-social" I doubt I could reproduce similar results. Social media is more so used by marketing divisions to have objective data about their products and offerings that people like so they can better sell them products and personalize ads. Nowadays what you post on social media can, and will, either make a employer reconsider you for a position or flat out get you fired. So I can understand why peoples guard is up when it comes to social media, making it similar to the same anti-social behavior you see in real life.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
What is your relationship with social media?
I'd like to say that I hate it with a passion, but the truth is much more boring - I don't care about it at all. I have a facebook account that I only use to stay informed about cycling events that don't get announced anywhere else. I probably open it once or twice a week for a few minutes. The last time I posted something was nearly two months ago and the last time I reacted to something was three weeks ago.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts