Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So among the NT (Rationals), which do you think is the most/least self-aware and why?

Personally, I think the most self-aware would be the INTJ while the least would be the ENTP.

INTJ because technically speaking, their four primary functions are Ni>Te>Fi>Se, and well, not really sure about this but I just think that most Fi users generally tend to be more self-aware than Fe users, and perhaps the higher the Fi's position in the stack connotes being more self-aware (or something like that). Then there's their being dominant Ni. I think these people just know what exactly they want and it's amazing.

ENTP on the other hand because their four primary functions are Ne>Ti>Fe>Si, and well, I don't know. I've read from somewhere that Si is responsible for the "storage of impression" stuff and is also the one in charge of becoming aware of bodily sensations. Fe on the other hand is an "other-centered" function. Ti, although like Fi-an evaluation/judging function, is nonetheless impersonal. Combine all those stuff with Ne, which is a perceiving function--a function that is very open-minded (sometimes even too open-minded), exceptional at making connections and all those stuff, I wouldn't be so surprised if I was right.

I mean, because of the weak Si, not that pro Fe and Ti being basically just a hostage to Ne, I think it would be quite easy for an ENTP to just not know much about themselves because they're too busy with all the possibilities that surrounds them (like, they're too busy generating and playing with ideas and possibilities that they tend to not notice stuffs about themselves--either they generally just not notice the things they do or they tend to forget which is why i'm questioning their self-awareness).

But I could be wrong.

But yeah, anyway, basically, if I were to arrange the 4 types from the most to the least self-aware (based on my own personal analysis), I'd said the arrangement would be something like:
(1 = most self aware, 4 = least)
1. INTJ
2. ENTJ
3. INTP
4. ENTP

What do you think? What's your opinion? How would you arrange the types if it were you? Got any testament (an experience maybe or an experience of a friend or something like that) that you may want to add to support your opinion?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Hm. I feel like the INTJs and ENTPs I know are usually more emotionally suppressed than the INTPs and ENTJs, predominantly because the INTJs are busy being rocklike (I love you guys, but it's true) and logical and inside their own heads, and the ENTPs are concerned with entertaining people. Interestingly enough, the INTJs I know are mostly social dominants, so they usually appear rocklike or perfect to uphold that social image, which isn't very conducive to personal reflection, which some of them actively avoid.

If you're going with physical needs though, my INTP friend stops watching how late she stays up once the clock hits 10 and is usually up till 2 AM or later, and she's definitely the clumsiest and eats the least healthily.

Assuming a fully mature and well-developed type, most emotionally self-aware (of own failings, feelings, etc.):
1. INTP
2. ENTJ
3. ENTP
4. INTJ

Most mentally aware (actively deciding on facets of their personality, knowing what they like/dislike and who they are):
1. ENTJ
2. INTP
3. INTJ (most INTJs know things about themselves implicitly, but don't actively verbalize the ideas themselves)
4. ENTP

Most aware of own strengths/weaknesses:
1. INTP
2. INTJ
3. ENTP
4. ENTJ

Most physically self-aware:
1. ENTJ (we like to show off :tongue:)
2. ENTP (they do too, think Tony Stark)
3. INTJ (depending on enneagram)
4. INTP

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you're going with physical needs though, my INTP friend stops watching how late she stays up once the clock hits 10 and is usually up till 2 AM or later, and she's definitely the clumsiest and eats the least healthily.
This really speaks to me. Like, word for word. Get out of my head!

Maut's assessment I view as accurate.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Funny, coming from an ENTP.

Nah, I'm playing.

I don't think anyone could have said it better than @maust though.
I think ENTPs are more self aware than we appear. Only reason is because as our Fe develops, we tend to over-analyze the fuck out of our "place" in the world and break everything down. Before my Fe started developing I didn't really even notice my bad qualities, how I came off to others, etc.

ENTJs seem far more confident and are obviously better at navigating the world from a success standpoint. Those who are much more sure of themselves are less likely to really know their weaknesses or really ever have to. It's definitely not a knock on ENTJs. But yeah, both ENTPs and ENTJs are less self aware than our introverted counterparts. It's like that with every type.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a hard time seeing ENTJs as one of the more emotionally self aware NTs. I would expected Te and Se to overpower their already abysmal Fi, compelling them to decisive action and only pausing to introspect when confronted with an especially complex or troubling problem. Even when they do get around to it, their forum suggests that they take a pile-driver "can't dwell on it, gotta do what I gotta do" approach. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding @maust 's post though.

I would give the gold to INTJs, even if they aren't the best at expressing themselves. ENTPs strike me as the type to burn themselves out before having intrapersonal epiphanies.

I agree with @Tom Soy Sauce that the introverts are more likely to be more mentally and emotionally self aware while the extroverts more physically, socially, and skill aware.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have a hard time seeing ENTJs as one of the more emotionally self aware NTs. I would expected Te and Se to overpower their already abysmal Fi, compelling them to decisive action and only pausing to introspect when confronted with an especially complex or troubling problem. Even when they do get around to it, their forum suggests that they take a pile-driver "can't dwell on it, gotta do what I gotta do" approach. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding @maust 's post though.

I would give the gold to INTJs, even if they aren't the best at expressing themselves. ENTPs strike me as the type to burn themselves out before having intrapersonal epiphanies.

I agree with @Tom Soy Sauce that the introverts are more likely to be more mentally and emotionally self aware while the extroverts more physically, socially, and skill aware.
It has to do- if you want to get into functions- with the shadow expression that comes out around adolescence. Your third function is actually your least-used function- it's the fourth function that comes out in contrast to the top function that makes for a lot of the problems of growing up. For example- my Fi kicked in when I was very young, and I was constantly angry at injustice everywhere and wanted to punch people- because I found them illogical, but also because of the value systems. I didn't react physically, which would have indicated Se, but rather expressed my displeasure through Te- logically tearing them down.

Here's a link that explains it better than I can Why the Inferior Function is So Important

I mostly agree with it because I've found it to be true personally, not theoretically- ENTJs can be both very immoral and very moral, as can INTJs. I've just found that ENTJs tend to know who they are and make "I am" statements far more than INTJs. When I ask INTJs what they like and what they want and any sort of question about themselves, they have no clue how to answer it. ENTJs can generally tell me who they are, what they want, and just seem to understand themselves better

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
That's interesting. I disagree. I think ENTPs are very self-aware, we just don't care how we come off because deep down we think we're better than everyone. So if we're different from you, all the better. :kitteh:

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Hm. I feel like the INTJs and ENTPs I know are usually more emotionally suppressed than the INTPs and ENTJs, predominantly because the INTJs are busy being rocklike (I love you guys, but it's true) and logical and inside their own heads, and the ENTPs are concerned with entertaining people. Interestingly enough, the INTJs I know are mostly social dominants, so they usually appear rocklike or perfect to uphold that social image, which isn't very conducive to personal reflection, which some of them actively avoid.

Assuming a fully mature and well-developed type, most emotionally self-aware (of own failings, feelings, etc.):
1. INTP
2. ENTJ
3. ENTP
4. INTJ

Most mentally aware (actively deciding on facets of their personality, knowing what they like/dislike and who they are):
1. ENTJ
2. INTP
3. INTJ (most INTJs know things about themselves implicitly, but don't actively verbalize the ideas themselves)
4. ENTP

Most aware of own strengths/weaknesses:
1. INTP
2. INTJ
3. ENTP
4. ENTJ

Most physically self-aware:
1. ENTJ (we like to show off :tongue:)
2. ENTP (they do too, think Tony Stark)
3. INTJ (depending on enneagram)
4. INTP

Thoughtful.

I'm gonna stick with my own kind for the moment.

The way I see emotional awareness for ENTPs is that we require a lot of stimuli to register something. And that goes for emotions. Subtle emotions, I think don't always register, or get blown off. But powerful emotions can knock us on our ass, or motivate us to climb mountains.

You could be right about mental awareness. Knowing thyself has been a bitch. I think because ENTPs have a need to understand the Big Picture, it takes longer for us to incorporate ourselves and our own psyches into that. I can read OTHER people very easily and quickly however, especially when, over time, that Si muscle starts to flex.

Strengths Weaknesses, I don't know how much honest self-reflection your #1 and #2, INTP, INTJ, spend time on, but as I've matured, I'm often painfully aware of my weaknesses. I've posited that that is one reason ENTPs are so hard to burn. "Oh I'm lazy/scatterbrained etc.?? Yeah, tell me something I don't know." And on the flip side, I will often brush off compliments on some strength like it wasn't even said, because yeah, I know. I've learned to give a polite thank you though, and definitely smile about it later. Everyone loves compliments.

The ENTJs I know have generally been in good shape. Take care of their bodies like they take care of bidness, I reckon. And yeah, ENTPs can be pretty vain as well. That's really the main motivation when I was younger. A galpal in HS said so-and-so had nice pecs. I wanted nice pecs too :crying: So I worked my ass off, yay! But now, exercise is more of a stress buster and the best way I've found to turn down the overanalyzing volume.

Another note. ENTPs can be unassuming in the sense that we are a hell of a lot more aware of what's going on than we let on.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Strengths Weaknesses, I don't know how much honest self-reflection your #1 and #2, INTP, INTJ, spend time on, but as I've matured, I'm often painfully aware of my weaknesses. I've posited that that is one reason ENTPs are so hard to burn. "Oh I'm lazy/scatterbrained etc.?? Yeah, tell me something I don't know." And on the flip side, I will often brush off compliments on some strength like it wasn't even said, because yeah, I know. I've learned to give a polite thank you though, and definitely smile about it later. Everyone loves compliments.
Then maybe the question when it comes to strengths/weaknesses is "How long does it take for each type to realize their strengths/weaknesses in full?" Meaning, how long did it take to realize both sides of the coin? I knew from a young age, writing my words down in a cohesive and clear way was one of my weaknesses, but I also knew that my ability to come up with solutions to math/science questions was excellent. I don't know the timeline for the typical INTJ, ENTJ, or ENTP, but if I'm the typical INTP, I'd say I recognized my limits at least in elementary school, and have been testing them ever since.

Another note. ENTPs can be unassuming in the sense that we are a hell of a lot more aware of what's going on than we let on.
At times I feel like this as well... But we aloof and silent types (aka INTP's) always get pegged as being the only ones who know what is going on. Who knows if we're just zoning out into our own mind-worlds or just looking like it and listening to every word you say? Only we know...

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
INTP - Analyze themselves into a sinking depression because they're recursively aware of their own depression.
ENTP - Severely overestimate their own attractiveness, importance, skill and abilities.
INTJ - Forget to factor their own biases into any and all situations, which leads to circular logic.
ENTJ - Assume their personal values are the root of all logic and destroy anyone who tries to point out this fallacy.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Then maybe the question when it comes to strengths/weaknesses is "How long does it take for each type to realize their strengths/weaknesses in full?" Meaning, how long did it take to realize both sides of the coin? I knew from a young age, writing my words down in a cohesive and clear way was one of my weaknesses, but I also knew that my ability to come up with solutions to math/science questions was excellent. I don't know the timeline for the typical INTJ, ENTJ, or ENTP, but if I'm the typical INTP, I'd say I recognized my limits at least in elementary school, and have been testing them ever since.

At times I feel like this as well... But we aloof and silent types (aka INTP's) always get pegged as being the only ones who know what is going on. Who knows if we're just zoning out into our own mind-worlds or just looking like it and listening to every word you say? Only we know...
Yeah maybe. The timeline to self-actualization, ha.

Well if you are a good ambassador for your tribe, sounds like INTPs know strengths and weaknesses very early. I mean damn, recognizing your limits in elementary school.

In high school, my Trigonometry teacher literally like pulled me into his office and told me that I was really good at it, and that it was a gift. I knew I did well in the class, but it all came pretty easy to me so I never really realized. Like, it just wasn't a part of my identity, I guess. And lots of similar stories throughout my life.

Even when ENTPs know they're good at something, they often don't see it as a talent. Or try to develop it.

ENTPs are kind of sponge like (I think perceivers in general), absorbing everything around us, and processing what we missed later, as we're too busy in the moment loudly cracking jokes, ha.

Reactions: kannbrown

·
Registered
798 Posts
To be fair, I think INTP's are different enough, early enough, and analytical enough (we live in our heads), that we know there's something up, and driven to find out what, and why... Elementary school sounds pretty typical, to me. Higher grades only confirmed what I already knew.

·
Registered
474 Posts
INTPs are exceedingly aware of their own faults to such a degree that it makes it nearly impossible to act. Analysis Paralysis.

If you're talking of awareness in terms of physical environment and spatial relationships? Not a fuckin' clue man. I could be in space right now and I wouldn't know. Where am i? What?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts