Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted & asked this question in Yahoo! Answers sometime ago: "Could human imaginations be bigger than God or Universe?" (just go google it, I posted in several different categories like Philosophy, Religion, Parapsychology, Alternative, etc..and got all different interesting answers in each!).

And now I feel like this forum probably would be another good place to ask,
so here I copy paste my question:

"Could human imaginations be bigger than God or Universe?
Could it be?

Sometimes I'm in really in awe with the seemingly 'unlimited' human imaginations (& dreams as well), as apparent in movies, fantasy novels, video games (especially from Japan), and many others.
that sometimes I kept thinking (I'm a Christian-turned-agnostic btw) that if human imaginations already can put us in so much awe & wonder, then WHATEVER thing *creating* us is supposed to be BIGGER than our so-called 'petty' imaginations, isn't it?

So hence my question: could human imaginations actually be bigger than God or Universe?
or furthermore, could human imaginations actually be another "unexplored" parallel universe, or a mystery sort of?? (also related with the "dream" realms!)
Just curious."

And plus, also,
do you agree, or can you imagine, that perhaps in some far future ahead (or perhaps even in our near future??), we humans would be soo advanced in technology-wise, that we'll able to create and turn our imaginations into a Reality??..sort of like the Matrix?

There's even a very interesting theory that I've heard/read about how we are all really inside 'The Matrix', as imagined and created by super-advanced Beings, or computers!! so stuff like rain, water, etc, they're all the matrix imagined by those advanced higher Beings somewhere 'out' there!

What do you think?

·
Registered
458 Posts
“When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
–Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

I hope you're not looking for a Yes / No reply and that your question itself is the answer.

Our imaginations are certainly mind-boggling, especially when physicists can imagine, not just our universe, but several physical ones, several alternate ones or several Big Bangs (which means this might be the sixth or even sixtieth or six hundredth time we're going around this merry-go-round). How about folding space like a sheet of paper or time flowing backward? Or even better - the new comic book movies! Yay!

I think we learned long ago how to use our imagination to create Reality. From the first time Og looked at a big, stinky bone and mused, "I wonder if I can turn this big, stinky bone into an ICBM? First, I'll have to take it in small steps (maybe like, ummm, low hanging fruit?) - a club, then a throwing missile like hmmm, an arrow, and then a bullet from a gun, then add a ... maybe a nuclear warhead and voila! I'll have an ICBM!"

Your interesting theory of us living in the Matrix can refer to us living in our ego, or the world of maya (illusion) or the Holographic Universe. People generally take The Matrix (the first one) as a sci-fi flick but I take it quite literally. We are being bred to be batteries. We are slaves to the system, working our asses off to make money to buy things we don't need or even want in order to make the rich richer. (INFPs exempt of course). How else can you explain buying cigarettes? Or Blue Label Scotch? And Trinity does kick-ass rather well, doesn't she?

Can I get down now, please? My head hurts.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope you're not looking for a Yes / No reply and that your question itself is the answer.

Our imaginations are certainly mind-boggling, especially when physicists can imagine, not just our universe, but several physical ones, several alternate ones or several Big Bangs (which means this might be the sixth or even sixtieth or six hundredth time we're going around this merry-go-round). How about folding space like a sheet of paper or time flowing backward? Or even better - the new comic book movies! Yay!

I think we learned long ago how to use our imagination to create Reality. From the first time Og looked at a big, stinky bone and mused, "I wonder if I can turn this big, stinky bone into an ICBM? First, I'll have to take it in small steps (maybe like, ummm, low hanging fruit?) - a club, then a throwing missile like hmmm, an arrow, and then a bullet from a gun, then add a ... maybe a nuclear warhead and voila! I'll have an ICBM!"

Your interesting theory of us living in the Matrix can refer to us living in our ego, or the world of maya (illusion) or the Holographic Universe. People generally take The Matrix (the first one) as a sci-fi flick but I take it quite literally. We are being bred to be batteries. We are slaves to the system, working our asses off to make money to buy things we don't need or even want in order to make the rich richer. (INFPs exempt of course). How else can you explain buying cigarettes? Or Blue Label Scotch? And Trinity does kick-ass rather well, doesn't she?

Can I get down now, please? My head hurts.
@adagio : very well thought-out response!
ditto a lot with what you've said.
even until this day, I still feel that the realms of human's Imaginations (especially usually for the Artists and Creators, who often have very vivid, lively, and vast imaginations) still feel like a BIG, unsolved mysteries (even for the science!).

I even just posted a Facebook status, after getting sort of 'enlightened' by last night's dreams:

"Human's Imaginations is often 1,000x better than this *limited* Reality.
the Artists and Creators usually act as the 'vessel' for the vast Imaginations."

What do you guys think?
Please contribute to the discussion about this interesting aspect of being a Human.

Reactions: adagio

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
This is one of my favorite questions ever.

I was wondering about the limit of the brain's capacity, and I found this article which confirms what I'd thought--basically, that there might be a limit to how much we can store in our heads, but there's really no way we would ever reach that limit. So in theory, we could create huge universes in our heads. Mainly I think this is unrealistic because we need to operate in reality in order to survive, and I don't think it's possible to maintain a vast universe in one's head along with a normal life in reality--it would take too much time, too much energy, to split oneself like that. But then, there are definitely people who, because of their personality, their circumstances, or both, end up devoting an unusual amount of energy to the imaginary world...often to the detriment of their everyday lives, but they become richer in other ways...

I'm not religious, but I think the closest thing I have to religion is a faith in the power of human creation. Perhaps you and I can't create worlds as rich as reality, but it's comforting that no matter how hard we try, we will never reach the limit of our creative ability.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I recently watched a documentary from the 'Through the Wormhole' series, which talks about the phenomenal pace of development of computer processing power, and the idea that eventually it will reach such a level that a quantum computer will be able to simulate our entire universe, which raises the question, if technology in our future could theoretically simulate our world as it is now, how would we go about proving that we are not, in fact, living in an advanced simulation right now. Truly boggles the mind. I love stuff like this.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Our minds and imagination feel pretty big to us because that's the extent of our cognition. Many human brains struggle to do long division sums, so to expect that same blob of electrified jelly to comprehend something larger than the infinity of the universe is a no goer.

It's the same reason why we'll never understand the purpose of 'it all'......we just don't have the brain power to do it.

It's like trying to explain the theory of evolution to a dog. No matter how many treats you give it, or how hard you shout, the dog will never understand because it just hasn't got enough brain power.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I recently watched a documentary from the 'Through the Wormhole' series, which talks about the phenomenal pace of development of computer processing power, and the idea that eventually it will reach such a level that a quantum computer will be able to simulate our entire universe, which raises the question, if technology in our future could theoretically simulate our world as it is now, how would we go about proving that we are not, in fact, living in an advanced simulation right now. Truly boggles the mind. I love stuff like this.
Movies like eXistenZ, the Matrix and The Truman Show do hint that we may be living in a simulation or a Holographic Universe, and perhaps we are. I may be loony for saying that I often believe that we are, but it makes sense to me that this "world" is a simulation, a classroom, where we're free to make drastic mistakes without doing any real harm. I also often look at people, many of whom have nothing behind their eyes, no soul, no individual thoughts no personality, and wonder if they're real or merely "an extra" in my movie. Well, that sounds horribly egocentric of me so I'll leave it there. To support my crazy ramblings, the Zen masters do say that this life is an illusion and that we're not born and we do not die. Whether it's meant spiritually (as in, we go to Heaven) or literally (as in, we merge with the earth and come back as grass) I choose to believe that we literally live in an illusion. I recently asked @lifeisanillusion for his thoughts on this and we have an ongoing discussion.

That brings up the question - who created this illusion? Did we (our souls, in between lives) or did superior beings (God, highly evolved beings) or is it a computer game like the Sims, for our edu-tainment like watching a 3D movie? To me, all of this means that our lives are planned like college courses for us to learn lessons. Things don't happen by chance. It means we're always where we should be and doing what we should be doing. It doesn't make sense if we're being tortured or killed, but if we're stuck in a situation it's because we're there to learn a lesson. My life has been a very fortunate one so I may sound extremely insensitive for saying that some people's lives are imaginary and, if that applies to you, then I apologise. Take it as the ramblings of someone with a too-vivid imagination and too much time on his hands.

My head still hurts.

·
Registered
547 Posts
According to Zen teachings, the world is 'like an illusion', not actually an illusion. If I run into a brick wall it is going to hurt, the solidity of matter is not questioned, however, the ultimate reality of the wall is emptiness. Thus, it is illusion-like.

·
Registered
458 Posts
According to Zen teachings, the world is 'like an illusion', not actually an illusion. If I run into a brick wall it is going to hurt, the solidity of matter is not questioned, however, the ultimate reality of the wall is emptiness. Thus, it is illusion-like.
Oh. OK. ....

·
Registered
663 Posts
"I... I am only 'seen' when someone looks at me. I mean, that I cease to exist when no one is looking at me. For example, if the five of you here all closed your eyes at once... At that instant, I would cease to exist anywhere. I mean, that I cease to exist when no one is looking at me. When you close your eyes, do you think this world still exists?"...Ever17

I read somewhere that your brain can't actually notice the difference between what you think/dream/imagine/experience. You can prove to yourself the veracity of this statement very easily. Close your eyes and imagine a food that you find tasty...you will probably start to salivate. Now think about someone that you find sexually attractive...you will be aroused after a while. Sometimes you can't tell the difference between a dream or "reality".

I am almost sure that we live in a simulation....it makes better science than thinking that there exist an "outside" world. So many unexplainable phenomena makes sense and stop being paranormal when you realized that you live in a simulation. I like to ask this question to others....does the world happens in you or you happens in the world?...the "external" world is such a fragile thing..that when you close your eyes and go to sleep, it stop existing for you.

Imagination is another virtual reality...our own :). If you are a lucid dreamer, you know how powerful it can be. Like this one it has is purpose. Artists use it as a platform for their creations, actors for doing rehearsals, athletes to prepare for the competition...I use it myself to relax when I feel a bit stressed.

That brings up the question - who created this illusion? Did we (our souls, in between lives) or did superior beings (God, highly evolved beings) or is it a computer game like the Sims, for our edu-tainment like watching a 3D movie? To me, all of this means that our lives are planned like college courses for us to learn lessons. Things don't happen by chance. It means we're always where we should be and doing what we should be doing. It doesn't make sense if we're being tortured or killed, but if we're stuck in a situation it's because we're there to learn a lesson. My life has been a very fortunate one so I may sound extremely insensitive for saying that some people's lives are imaginary and, if that applies to you, then I apologise. Take it as the ramblings of someone with a too-vivid imagination and too much time on his hands.

My head still hurts.
And that will be the day when science will end proving something that religion knew all along it existed(although interpreted it with limitations and some errors) :p. I will like to be around when that happens. When mainstream science end accepting that we live in a simulation...you will ask the next question...who created it?...imagine the cognitive dissonance that will produce. I believe that this simulation is a virtual lab with an educational purpose. It is here for us to growth. We are part of an evolutionary strategy of a being/consciousness( what people call God) to evolve. This place is great for that because of the constraint it put over us. In comparison to so many other simulations( planes, pick your metaphor) this one has a very heavy rule-set. The simulation for its purpose is more than enough.

I see life like a big joke of cosmic proportions. It is like we are actors but aren't aware( most) that we are in a play. I get the inside joke. You can't imagine how you customize your experience before "coming" here. You pick your genre, family, body, fix the major relationships, sometimes even plan your "exit"(dead). I went through some traumas in my youth but I can see the design behind them. Probably most will said...no way :p...I didn't choose this. The personality is another construct to facilitate what you wanted to experience. Some people even for example decide to experience discrimination, disease...to growth in love and assist others in this process. From a human viewpoint/small picture it doesn't make sense but when you see it from consciousness viewpoint/big picture it makes sense. This is just one life/experience packet so don't take it to seriously ;p.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I am almost sure that we live in a simulation....it makes better science than thinking that there exist an "outside" world. So many unexplainable phenomena makes sense and stop being paranormal when you realized that you live in a simulation. I like to ask this question to others....does the world happens in you or you happens in the world?...the "external" world is such a fragile thing..that when you close your eyes and go to sleep, it stop existing for you.

Imagination is another virtual reality...our own :). If you are a lucid dreamer, you know how powerful it can be. Like this one it has is purpose. Artists use it as a platform for their creations, actors for doing rehearsals, athletes to prepare for the competition...I use it myself to relax when I feel a bit stressed.

And that will be the day when science will end proving something that religion knew all along it existed(although interpreted it with limitations and some errors) :p. I will like to be around when that happens. When mainstream science end accepting that we live in a simulation...you will ask the next question...who created it?...imagine the cognitive dissonance that will produce. I believe that this simulation is a virtual lab with an educational purpose. It is here for us to growth. We are part of an evolutionary strategy of a being/consciousness( what people call God) to evolve. This place is great for that because of the constraint it put over us. In comparison to so many other simulations( planes, pick your metaphor) this one has a very heavy rule-set. The simulation for its purpose is more than enough.

I see life like a big joke of cosmic proportions. It is like we are actors but aren't aware( most) that we are in a play. I get the inside joke. You can't imagine how you customize your experience before "coming" here. You pick your genre, family, body, fix the major relationships, sometimes even plan your "exit"(dead). I went through some traumas in my youth but I can see the design behind them. Probably most will said...no way :p...I didn't choose this. The personality is another construct to facilitate what you wanted to experience. Some people even for example decide to experience discrimination, disease...to growth in love and assist others in this process. From a human viewpoint/small picture it doesn't make sense but when you see it from consciousness viewpoint/big picture it makes sense. This is just one life/experience packet so don't take it to seriously ;p.
Quantum physics is on the verge of saying that we live in a Hologram -

What if our existence is a holographic projection of another, flat version of you living on a two-dimensional "surface" at the edge of this universe? In other words, are we real, or are we quantum interactions on the edges of the universe - and is that just as real anyway?

Whether we actually live in a hologram is being hotly debated, but it is now becoming clear that looking at phenomena through a holographic lens could be key to solving some of the most perplexing problems in physics, including the physics that reigned before the big bang,what gives particles mass, a theory of quantum gravity.

Are We Living in a Holographic Universe? This May Be the Greatest Revolution of the 21st Century
The theory that reality, as we consciously experience it, is not real, goes back to ancient indigenous people who believed we exist in a dream or illusion. In our current timeline, we refer to the matrix, grids, virtual reality, simulation and hologram. Today many physicists are researching the concept of the universe as a hologram. The universe is a consciousness hologram. Reality is projected illusion within the hologram. It is a virtual experiment created in linear time to study emotions. Our hologram is composed of grids created by a source consciousness brought into awareness by electromagnetic energy at the physical level. The hologram is created and linked through a web, or grid matrixes based on the patterns of Sacred Geometry. The hologram had a beginning and it has an end, as consciousness evolves in the alchemy of time. As the grids collapse, everything within the hologram will end, helping to understand what is going on in the world today.

The Holographic Universe - Crystalinks
The LHR has shown that particles do travel faster than the speed of light, so how many other rules are going to be broken is anyone's guess.

I agree with everything you say. (I'm not quite sure what you say exactly, maybe English is your second language or maybe it's typo errors), Nevertheless I agree with the gist of what you say, that, before we're born, we choose and plan our lives in detail, where we're born, into which family, which time, which circumstances .....

If you look at human evolution, we've "evolved" far too quickly to be natural. It's like time-lapse photography. What's our next stage? Are we ready for it?

I imagine our imagination is pretty big if we can imagine several universes and alternate/ parallel universes are just a small part of it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the 'curse' of being too Imaginative , a person with too high/vivid/lively Imaginations , want to live inside his head only...

dragons, magic-techniques and Magi-wars (just like in video-games and 'ancient'-type of movies), castles in the sky, shape-shifting dimensions, etc etc......you name it!

this "Law-and-Order"-like, all-about-money Reality/real-world fucking sucks, boring, 'dry', and mundane beyond words!!...

·
Registered
96 Posts
The more I grow and change from experience and observation, the more I feel attuned to the natural rhythms of the earth and sky beyond. The more I feel distanced from those who don't know their own soul, who don't contemplate their thoughts and how they create the personality. My imagination seeks to enhance natural beauty around me and place me within it, often as an integral part of the system. I can visualize things I've never seen, and I believe I have the brain power to do it (as do all of you INFP's) because it's something I do constantly!

We might have an enormous capacity for information, but only a portion of that is reliably accessible. The more space you use up for one type of thought, the less available for others. I see this play out in my life by being incredibly forgetful about day-to-day occurrences and responsibilities. I've just subconsciously chosen to use my mind for something else.

About human imagination eclipsing the universe - I do it every time I make art. So do you. We make material out of the immaterial. That's a pretty basic way to look at it.

As far as the TRUTH - I feel there are huge missing pieces of the puzzle in astrophysics and quantum physics. I prefer to let hypothesizing be done by the people who know the most about these fields. Honestly, I feel that I can't make any assumptions or even guesses about anything than what I have first-person experience with. I don't mind not knowing what's out there... that doesn't mean I'm not curious! I mean no offense to anyone who likes this stuff :)

One thing I'm sure of: the human imagination has distanced us from who we are as animals and a part of nature. As we build artificial structures, create technology to extend our lives, these are all manifestations of the human imagination. It is not benevolent or malevolent. It nearly paralyzes me, lets me change my entire reality without a second thought. My imagination is very much a double-edged sword, and I struggle to be aware (not control, who could?) of it when I can.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The left-brainers are the businessmen and bankers, the people who spend their lives adding columns of figures, debit and credit. Cold, sterile, grey.

We are the dreamers, the feelers, the right-brainers, who live in worlds of imagination, fantasy and colour.

They cannot see or understand what we see. Don't you pity them?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts