Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized a few days ago that I actually don't think I've met any INTJ's. Like, ever, as far as I know. So far my knowledge of people with this type comes from online descriptions, which claim you all are cold and don't show any feelings on the outside and don't have much humor and love chess and strategy and countless other things, which makes INTJs seem like some kind of manipulative mythical creature. I was thinking that maybe I've avoided typing anyone as INTJ because of all these stereotypes online. So I'm going to ask some real INTJs, gathering intelligence if you will: are you all really how they say? Can you be outwardly enthusiastic or show emotions? Do you formulate plans for absolutely everything? Do you even have friends???

·
Registered
859 Posts
Are you all really how they say?
Kinda maybe sorta. Like any other group, we have a broad spectrum. If you want specific answers, ask specific questions.

Can you be outwardly enthusiastic or show emotions?
Sure, but we don't do it often and usually only in familiar settings with people we trust.

Do you formulate plans for absolutely everything?
Not everything. Some things are better left to spontaneity. But you can be certain that we've thought it through beforehand. It's not that we plan our spontaneity (which would to be spontaneous at all), but we plan for it.

Do you even have friends???
Of course. But we tend to have fewer of them than most, and the ones we do have are very close. It's not difficult to become our friends. Just be honest, trustworthy, and respect us.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Some people are closer to the stereotype than others. Everyone is different because your "type" isn't the only thing that drives the final outcome of your personality. My internal thought process will reflect in my behavior and actions but depending on how mentally healthy a person is they can be more or less social, more or less manipulative more or less energetic.

We've got plenty of emotions and feelings, the differences are 1. how they are expressed (and whether or not they are expressed), and 2. the subject of those feelings. One person might become very emotionally distraught over hearing news of a plane crash, but I am more likely to become distraught over social/personal injustices.

At a glance.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
@Frigiderm

Humor: Dark, sarcastic, dry, unapologetic.

It takes a very special person for me to be totally myself around them. The intention is to make people laugh without actually hurting them because there's no sense in that, so if I feel that my sense of humor would insult someone I have a very difficult time getting along with them. I don't enjoy walking on eggshells around people, but I do make a conscious effort to be arsehole-funny as opposed to just... arsehole. It's something I've learned after years of feeling isolated by my peers because I was coming off all wrong.

In my free time I try to shut my mind off, or gear it towards something productive but different from what I do at work. I spend all day at work interacting with people and critically thinking through problems (design, web development) so when I get home I want to 1.) not interact with ANYONE, "going out" is out of the question and 2.) NOT do things that would require the same kind of mental effort as what I do during the day. I can't help how I think, but I can help what I'm thinking about. I either read or work on small, hands-on craft projects -- though the latter takes place more on the weekends.

This is generally speaking, though. Sometimes I get inspired to do something and I might spend all night spontaneously working on huge projects for fun. But basically when I'm working I'm working, and when I'm playing I'm playing -- even if it's a conscious effort that I make to make my mind calm the hell down. However, that part might be more about being an enneagram type 6 and always worrying about everything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the replies @Quierta and @PoppaX.

Okay, here are a couple more questions to go along with the others:
How would you describe your sense of humor?
What are your feelings about strategy games?
What do you like to do in your free time?
I'd say my sense of humor is a bit different than most. It's fairly dry, intellectual, and dark occasionally. Now thats not to say I don't find silly, stupid things funny. Some of the simplest things can get me laughing for hours. Like puns. I love puns. But even with puns, I prefer more of a dry, quick sarcastic wit to anything else.

I used to love strategy games when I was younger. I'd play them all the time. But recently, I haven't been into them as much, because they only people I would want to play against is someone with a chance of beating me, and I'm not very skilled at any strategic game at the moment, so I would lose quite badly since I am out of practice. So for now, until I get into a strategy game again, I try to stay away, because it's just not that fun to beat people that don't know what they're doing, and its far too much work to get good at them again. For now I like to play team based games that I can mess around in with my friends, trying out different strategies and options. In video game terms, as a kid I love warcraft 3, and starcraft, games like that. RTS's. Now, I'm more into team based, like Dota 2, League of Legends etc.

My free time is usually spent in one of 3 ways. Hanging out with friends, either chilling, or doing something fun. Playing a video game, preferably with friends. Or furthering a hobby, whether it is researching something I'm interested in, playing the piano, attempting to learn the guitar, teaching myself a coding language, etc.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
A common visual characteristic of an intj is a straight face. Beyond that, youll have have a conversation to differentiate them from istjs, intps, istps, maybe even entjs and infjs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've always found INTJs sarcastic and witty, I love their sense of humor! But some people do have a hard time handling it. My brother is an INTJ and even though it is rare I have seen him get extremely excited about certain things. From my point of view he is full of emotions and compared to most I am very good at reading him. A lot of times when people first meet him they are very put off by his personality, he isn't good at small talk and if he makes a joke most people take the wrong way, but in my experience once they get to know him they love him and that has been my experience with most INTJs.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
I realized a few days ago that I actually don't think I've met any INTJ's. Like, ever, as far as I know. So far my knowledge of people with this type comes from online descriptions, which claim you all are cold and don't show any feelings on the outside and don't have much humor and love chess and strategy and countless other things, which makes INTJs seem like some kind of manipulative mythical creature. I was thinking that maybe I've avoided typing anyone as INTJ because of all these stereotypes online. So I'm going to ask some real INTJs, gathering intelligence if you will: are you all really how they say? Can you be outwardly enthusiastic or show emotions? Do you formulate plans for absolutely everything? Do you even have friends???
The problem is that the type descriptions are "galtonesque" portraits of the type - exaggerations for the sake of comparison. In reality, someone who is "cold, doesn't show feelings, don't have much humor"... is called a "jerk". That'd be their four-letter type code. A JERK type.

You're going to find that INTJs in reality have more depth than a portrait makes it seem. But it all really comes down to their introversion. INTJs, as introverts, and like all introverts, are selective about when, where, and with whom they display their "real" characteristics. Most of the time, they will either be acting out a persona, or just not saying anything at all and remaining silent, avoidant, or what have you. I myself wear a mask in front of others when I think I have to in order to achieve something - for example, at work, I am the "mature professional"; here on PerC, I try to be the "wise teacher". But if you catch me at a time and place apart from others, and you demonstrate the kind of open-mindedness that tells me you appreciate a wry sense of humor, and you see the irony in a lot of situations, and you demonstrate a great deal of self-awareness, then we can shoot the shit and I'll probably open up to you quite easily.

I'm not going to dance around the truth - I am very manipulative, when I have a goal in mind and I don't particularly care about certain people. But that being said, I'm also pretty laid back in general. I don't enjoy having to micromanage other human beings in order to make what I want occur in practice. It would be so much nicer if people were just insightful and intelligent enough to consider other points of view and not take every criticism so personally, so that we could just get to the part where we all work together. But sadly, that kind of self-awareness is not commonly present, and so I have to leverage my awareness of other people in spite of them not really knowing themselves as well as I do after five minutes of interaction with them.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
claim you all are cold and don't show any feelings on the outside and don't have much humor and love chess and strategy and countless other things, which makes INTJs seem like some kind of manipulative mythical creature.
I would say this is the reality for unhealthy and unintegrated INTJ's. Otherwise INTJ's are fairly normal though maybe not as talkative or sociable, and maybe a little more concerned with their own projects in life but nothing like all the stereotyped villains you see on TV (I'm thinking Light Yagami and Walter White here). Rather imagine a healthy INTJ to be like Gandalf from LOTR, that's a very good example. He's wise, compassionate, caring, but also strategic and solitary but still good with group interaction. He's a very good template of the healthy INTJ imo. Another is Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
This is a super interesting set of books and looks a bit like my internet bookmarks. Actually from my limited collection of ebooks in my iBook app I have:

Letters on Yoga by Sri Aurobindo
You are Already There (a book on enlightenment by a friend)
Japanese Grammar Guide :kitteh:
Krishnamurti's Notebook
Wanderer in the Spirit Lands
Life in the World Unseen
The Real You Beyond Forms and Lives
Astral Dynamics
The Hobbit (why not)
English Translation of the Qur'an
House of Night Revealed (still meaning to read that)
And some fanfiction works too lol.

I don't remember the last time I bought a real book but I got given two on psychology and sociology at one point.

#PostYourBookStyleHere #Hijacked

Lol.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
If I could boil all the wisdom of these books down to its purest essence, it would have to be the idea that the subjectivity of the self is just as objective in its own way, and thus unattainable to reason, as the objectivity of outer things - they mirror and produce each other, and one could not exist without the other. The interaction between self and not-self requires some sort of language, wherein not-self dictates syntax, and the self dictates semantics. What this means in practice is that we create reality as we go - Truth is not "out there" to be discovered, but rather, "out there" is merely the crucible in which we forge ourselves, and in doing so, bend nature to our will.

I often find this idea to be the crux of what introverted intuition is all about. Whereas extraverted intuition is so fundamentally certain that, if one just keeps looking, one can find out the truth of things, and therefore one must never stop looking for new sources of information - introverted intuition operates on the fundamental certainty that whatever I perceive to be real, is real, not because it makes sense, but because it has power; for you see, it is one thing to say that knowledge is power, and it is another to recognize that power is knowledge. That is the mindset of someone who understands what real "magick" is - and when you live your life that way, everything you encounter becomes measured by the extent of its effect - for every effect implies a cause, thus, we infer the power of truth based on effectiveness.

To that extent, there is no difference between science, art, and magick, or anything else for that matter. To cast a "spell" over someone is simply to spell - to speak wyrds (words) at them that come from a "grimoire" (which means grammar). Your goal is to effect their spirit, which is not something metaphysical - it actually means in the literal sense, like saying "he was in poor spirits today" or "the spirit of the party was jovial". Because emotions (e + motion = motive energy) are the basis of every desire, and that is what feeds the will to power in all things. Ask any Buddhist and they'll tell you all about it.

And then, once you know these things, and you can easily recognize the shape of politics, media, society, culture, history, tradition, etc ... and the validity of certain sociological theories, or certain anthropological principles, or certain biological facts, or psychological models, becomes apparent, because it all fits together. You see the awesome mechanism of the will of the cosmos itself made manifest at every level, because it reflects the awesome power of our own inscrutable spirit - both individually and collectively - and you recognize your own place in all of it, so that you can act with total self-awareness, a complete understanding of the scope of your own being, and what it is that you can and must accomplish.

That is why we are so confident.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Those darn stereotypes again LOL. I hate strategy games, I totally suck at chess. Gimme a solid RPG with nice storyline and you won't see me for months.
Plans for everything? Hardly. I do have solid plans for certain things, for example if there is some long-term goal/project with many steps involved, like finals. Then my schedule might look like "3 days for history studying" followed by "4 days for anthropology studying" and "2 days for essay writing" and I stick to the plan quite closely because if I don't, I fail at finals. Certainly I don't plan my day, like "take a shit at 7AM, cook a lunch at 11AM, watch a movie at 8PM", that's just plain riddiculous. The point is that once INTJ has a plan, we stick to it and we get shit done, unlike INTPs who often make plans but hardly ever stick to them, ending up with half-finished projects with no tangible outcome. (Sorry OP, no offense meant, especially if you are good at sticking to plans, it's just my experience with INTPs/INFPs)
I think that what is meant by the "excessive planning" is more connected to general inability of INTJs to improvise very well and usual dislike of surprises.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow this thread has been completely derailed XD

My conclusion from this: INTJs are not all that much like what people say they are and are also the most likely type to be a wizard. Cool.

@elight
unlike INTPs who often make plans but hardly ever stick to them, ending up with half-finished projects with no tangible outcome (Sorry OP, no offense meant
No offense taken, this is entirely true :frustrating:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about Wittgenstein

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.