Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is quite obvious to me that our names dictate a lot about us and our personalities. I really don't fully understand why; but it is a very intriguing concept. I don't really know how to elaborate on this, or I don't care to, but I was just wondering what everyone thinks. I wonder if I would even be an INFJ if I had a different name. (I know that's a bold thing to say..) The name just holds SO much for us, yet we hardly stop to think about it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I personally dont think that it affects our personality, but it does give us an identity. Well actually, maybe people who have more unique names tend to have more self confidence, or at least get noticed more. (I know this girl named J-Lin, she's cool!)
What's interesting is that we tend to have a certain image associated with certain names. Samantha would most likely have Sam as a nickname, makes them sound like tombiys xD (Coincidentally my sister's more rough in terms of personality xD) And people's names would be very intriguing to people like me who loves researching names and their meanings xD Especially when theyre the opposite of what their name means, the irony hahahas! xD

I've known several people sharing my first name and what I do notice is that we tend to be shorter/smaller and more quiet/private o_O

·
Registered
559 Posts
Fatima is a pretty white name. People never guessed my race from my name and looks.

My name was also respectable because of the lady of Fatima.

This is the first result that I get when I search my name.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know if my first name had much of an effect on me, but I'm pretty sure my middle name did.

Lilith. In mythology, she was Adam's first wife. Also a succubus.
I'm not a succubus :tongue:, but I'm definitely inspired by my namesake's rebellious autonomy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Names influence our personality?

God dammit! The kitties are eating the memos again!

Seriously though, I don't think it works that way at all. My name (Erin) means "peace". I'm not remotely peaceful. At all. And while I'm not a fan of drama, I'm happy to discuss the touchy subjects and will not back down from a difference of opinion. If anything, I piss a lot of people off because I try to dissect the reasons for that difference.

Reactions: Aubbs

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Somewhat, depending upon cultural spelling (my first name could be Scottish, Spanish, Italian or English just based upon a few letters altered) so I would imagine racism or stereotypes may come into play, for example if it is known or seems that a name is of Gypsy descent... When I actually went to South Wales there seemed to be a strong cultural dislike of the British, yet when an uncle with a Welsh surname travelled there customer service and social acceptance seemed better.

My personality...not so much..well surnames often did since I had 2 then later a third when I legally changed it seeking my own identity, knowing family and cultural identity was lacking (seemingly very common for Brits to have little if any cultural awareness of their heritage), instead wishing to create a new definition of self not offered by others in histories or shared family trees (well my surname is now 'Welsh' rather than Londonian or 'Irish') but I see it as more like an expression of individuation needs.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Names influence our personality?

God dammit! The kitties are eating the memos again!

Seriously though, I don't think it works that way at all. My name (Erin) means "peace". I'm not remotely peaceful. At all. And while I'm not a fan of drama, I'm happy to discuss the touchy subjects and will not back down from a difference of opinion. If anything, I piss a lot of people off because I try to dissect the reasons for that difference.
Yeah, I'm not sure how much the name really impacts someone. I think it impacts people differently depending on who they already are. (For example, if your name aligns with your personality, then it's a good fit; if not, you end up feeling "misnamed" and have related issues. Or if you have a unique name and like feeling special, you'll resonate with it; if you don't like sticking out, though, you'll find coping mechanisms to deal with it.) People also actively take nicknames to avoid dealing the ramifications of a name that does not fit them, so they have an opportunity to tailor their name more in accordance with their personality.

I don't think a quiet, gentle boy who is named Spike by his parents, for example, becomes a Type A bully; he downplays his name or finds a workaround. Meanwhile, someone who likes their name will play into it.

Reactions: SirDave and Arya

·
Registered
816 Posts
I don't think our names influence our inborn personality, but if it has meaning attached, like a girl named Chastity, they may feel the need to live up to it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure how much the name really impacts someone. I think it impacts people differently depending on who they already are. (For example, if your name aligns with your personality, then it's a good fit; if not, you end up feeling "misnamed" and have related issues. Or if you have a unique name and like feeling special, you'll resonate with it; if you don't like sticking out, though, you'll find coping mechanisms to deal with it.) People also actively take nicknames to avoid dealing the ramifications of a name that does not fit them, so they have an opportunity to tailor their name more in accordance with their personality.
Oh don't get me wrong. I LIKE my name. I just find the "meaning" of it rather ironic. And the shortened form of my username "Ai" (which is what most of my online friends call me) means love in Japanese. Again, it doesn't really fit, but I like it just the same :)

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong. I LIKE my name. I just find the "meaning" of it rather ironic. And the shortened form of my username "Ai" (which is what most of my online friends call me) means love in Japanese. Again, it doesn't really fit, but I like it just the same :)
What's weird with our kids is that the names we picked for them (including the middle name) actually fits their personalities and they like their names. I didn't expect it to work out so well. The names were chosen before birth, and even before they understood what their names "meant" or knew their middle names, they were acting in accordance with it. *spooky music*

Sometimes I wish my own name wasn't so commonplace. Then again, it still fits me, both the sound as well as the commonplace nature (as I'm accessible and down to earth), more than maybe a really unique name would be. So I just kind of accept it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have two names (no middle name) and people have been calling me either one of them for most of my life. By this logic, I should exhibit two sides and both names would influence me.

One's the name of my birth certificate that my associates call me by, the other's the name that my family and close friends know me by. And I've had both names present in school records, though not at the same time.

I also use a nom de plume for something work-related.

I agree with the first reply, it doesn't affect our personality but perhaps our identity. I am much more relaxed around those who call me by the name my family calls me due to the association though it's not a 'relaxing' name.

Reactions: frayonka

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My name is far too noble for me. It's etymology goes back to French royalty, Hindu gods, and the stars.

People see my name and expect someone of a different race. So much so, that they will look right past me when calling for me. And when I come forward, they have this look, as if to say "This is you?"

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My name means "victory of the people".

I have an illustrious career as a demagogue ahead of me. I'll overthrow the establishment in bloody revolution, put the bourgeoisie to the sword, declare the country the People's Republic (with me as its "democratically elected" Chairman), have mass rallies in which I sway the people with my incredible charisma, purge the country of unwanted minorities, modernise the country's industry with ambitious 5 Year Plans, erect golden statues of myself that revolve to face the sun, rename the months of the year after myself, institute a reign of terror with secret police abducting dissidents in the middle of the night & listening devices in every house, turn all art into propaganda, make the people believe miraculous stories about my birth and my ability to control the weather, conquer neighbouring countries with robots and giant death rays, and one day rule the entire WORLD! Then the conquest of space, with bases on the moon and Mars.

I need cool facial hair first, though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My first and middle name together mean "flower girl", like I'm a hippie. Thinking about it, if I were born earlier, I might've been one. Or not. Too much of a loner, probably.

More often than not, I don't want to stand out, so having a common name works out well.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know I'm bumping a dead thread but hopefully no one cares...

I always found my name ironic because it means the might or strength of god and I'm not the most typically aggressive or assertive person but maybe the strength of god doesn't translate into that sort of strength. I've also heard once from mullah when I was a kid that "children get a portion of their names" or we take on our names in some sense, and I sort of kind of believe it but really have no evidence or reasoning to back it up.

It's one of those things that I feel like I have an intuition towards it being true, but I'm not on board with just trusting my intuition because I see people claim with certainty certain views I find terribly untrue or inhumane and they claim they just have some sort of strong intuition about the subject, which usually means they can't be convinced otherwise.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm not certain what my name, Roanna, means for certain. I've read somewhere online that it's Latin for 'a flower' which would suit me just fine because I love flowers and nature. :happy: I enjoy having an unusual name, but what I don't enjoy is the amount of people who cannot pronounce or spell it correctly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ståle from Old Norse Stáli, originally an epithet, formed from stál, 'steel, weapon'.

Some kind of manly warrior I guess. Kind of a common theme in Norse names.

I don't know if it has influenced me though. It might have given me a bit of confidence when defending the things I believe in, but I don't think having another name would have made me a weakling.

·
Registered
INTP
1,755 Posts
I'm named after a fictional character from some TV show that my mom really loves ((her favorite character)). I never saw the source material so I'm not sure how close to said character I am in personality, but the name is really unusual and I've never met anyone else with the same first name as me. Often at school, people would pronounce it wrong since they aren't sure how to approach it, which is something that can affect a kid after a while and I know has affected me. I've always been "different" from everybody else just as much as my name is "different" from the names everyone else has. But on the other side of things, I'm obsessed with fictional characters. I enjoy creating them and I really love closely analyzing characters created by others. I'm working on a novel now with my own characters and creating/developing my characters is the part I enjoy most about having a novel of my own. I often feel like I was born to create fictional characters and in a creative story group with a few friends, they say my characters are the highest quality of all our characters. I am told that the characters I create motivate them to develop their own characters more deeply than they ever had before. Sometimes I may hate my first name, but when I think about it more, I realize it suits me in some weird way, even if the character I'm named after isn't one I'm actually familiar with ((I guess I never wanted to see the source material and then see that said character is totally shit and terrible lol xD Sometimes my mom's taste in television gets really weird)).

My middle name is just one of those passed down through family lines. I don't think it suits me at all and sometimes I forget what it even is since I just don't associate with it at all.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts