Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been kicked around as a topic a lot, let's get down to business. I'm sure we've all had to deal with misinterpretation, and the like, which I kind of classify as "unintentional" trolling, as @bethdeth mentioned.

If there is one thing I have noticed, it's that the INTJs one this site attract an inordinant amount of trolls. Why do you think it is? What experiences have you had? How do you usually handle it?

Personally, I feel it has to do with debates. Often, corrections, disagreements and so forth which are pretty normal and civil between INTJs degrade between some other types. I would suggest it has to do with "winning" the debate by claiming the other side is being emotional, emotionless, aggressive, angry, cold, unfair, obtuse, overly technical and so forth, often with these contradictory statements being applied to the same post.

INTJs are quite willing to leave a thread alone, in my opinion (perhaps making us easy targets, less likely to fight back in the long term?), and allow the other side to have the last word once they've decided the thread is going no where. I find that often, when I do this, the other side takes the opportunity to resort to attacking the person to the best of his ability knowing that a response is unlikely. Very rarely do they respond with something equal to my own post in potential abrasiveness, or do they go ahead with an even softer post.

In my own experience, I feel a lot of people troll to win in the eyes of others, or to protect their reputation if they feel it has been marred (even if it has not been). I also think we trigger it in a some people because our word choice is translated into something else, either with a tone or an adverse meaning (we aren't very welcoming, after all).

Clarifications (for non-INTJs who feel I might be smack talking them):

- Nothing in this post states that INTJs are always right.
- Nothing in this post precludes the non-existence of the INTJ-troll hybrid.
- This post is not difficult enough at any reading level to paraphrase. Please do not do so.
- I did say "some" other types. Not all.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
People watch us because they don't understand us and either want to 'make us normal' or see us having a pleasant discussion about why the rest of the world is full of idiots who _________ and what a good alternative would be, and they see that as a personal attack and get all emotional. I also blame Fe for gigantic emotional outbursts at our ideas. (Fe will never agree with me on the matter of a spartan birth policy)

Moving forwards: you now have someone with their mind set to post something ignorant, and so they will. Because what led them to such a posting in the first place was either just blatant "I can't imagine a person like that" and so they will try to change you on moral grounds, or they're just otherwise morally outraged. In either event it means what they would call 'logic' has just been flooded with unrelenting emotional vehemence. You cannot talk them down and they've already made up their mind long ago that you're wrong; it is now simply JIHAD! IEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIIIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEI!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
People watch us because they don't understand us and either want to 'make us normal' or see us having a pleasant discussion about why the rest of the world is full of idiots who _________ and what a good alternative would be, and they see that as a personal attack and get all emotional. I blame Fe for gigantic emotional outbursts at our ideas. (Fe will never agree with me on the matter of a spartan birth policy)

Moving forwards: you now have someone with their mind set to post something ignorant, and so they will. Because what led them to such a posting in the first place was either just blatant "I can't imagine a person like that" and so they will try to change you on moral grounds, or they're just otherwise morally outraged. In either event it means what they would call 'logic' has just been flooded with unrelenting emotional vehemence. You cannot talk them down and they've already made up their mind long ago that you're wrong; it is now simply JIHAD! IEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIIIEIEIEIEIEIEIEIEI!
I like your choice of words there. But the use of ellipsis... ...dude. Look, it looks a lot better with my edits, and the flow is about the same. Ellipsis make a poor substitution for a proper punctuation.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I like your choice of words there. But the use of ellipsis... ...dude. Look, it looks a lot better with my edits, and the flow is about the same. Ellipsis make a poor substitution for a proper punctuation.
Bah. Fine. Danke.

Reactions: RericA

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have seen more misconceptions than I've seen trolls. I think we are a little quick to deem other people trolls at the outset, and then treat them as such. I always try to listen to people, and try to see if it's just a misunderstanding. I have nothing to defend, and nothing to lose. But sometimes people will assume that a regular non-INTJ who posts is a troll for no other reason, than they didn't understand the context of the post, or because the poster is ignorant. We have to be weary about how we treat people who only wants to get to know us, and who make stupid assumptions about us, but are otherwise fine if we inform them. And we have to find out how we distinguish these genuinely interested and authentic people, from those who are only out to troll by asking ridiculous questions on purpose. But I think peoples troll-radar is going off for no reason a lot of the time. More often than not, it's just some confused non-INTJ who didn't know what he was getting into. Lets give people the benefit of the doubt, and report the real trolls.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Bah. Fine. Danke.
No offense intended. Merely stating something that seemed rather jarring and out of place in that post. Your arguments were good, and so was the wording.
Thank you for the effort you put into the re-editing of it too.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
No offense intended. Merely stating something that seemed rather jarring and out of place in that post. Your arguments were good, and so was the wording.
Thank you for the effort you put into the re-editing of it too.
None was taken :p... I recognized it was a little sloppy. Thanks for your effort as well... I may continue to make edits as I look at it periodically though... some things just seem a bit off still...

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
None was taken :p... I recognized it was a little sloppy. Thanks for your effort as well... I may continue to make edits as I look at it periodically though... some things just seem a bit off still...
Are those sarcastic ellipsis there? Because I find that rather funny, even with my distaste for emoticons I think that earns one : :crazy:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If there is one thing I have noticed, it's that the INTJs one this site attract an inordinant amount of trolls. ... How do you usually handle it?
I use the "ignore" button early on. I don't worry about doing it too early as quotes will continue long after hitting the "ignore" button.
I wish the "ignore" function had been made available when clicking on the handle in PerC 2.0, instead of having to visit their pages and also be counted as a visitor.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I use the "ignore" button early on. I don't worry about doing it too early as quotes will continue long after hitting the "ignore" button.
I wish the "ignore" function had been made available when clicking on the handle in PerC 2.0, instead of having to visit their pages and also be counted as a visitor.
I am not one to easily stifle an open discourse but some people are not worth my time, so my ignore list has a steady and slow growth. To limit it from exploding like a split hydrogen atom I generally avoid other boards here.

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,563 Posts
I think it's all fine and well to give people the benefit of the doubt if they ask stupid questions. I also think it's Ok to to give people the benefit of the doubt when they get your sarcasm wrong......but to argue the point about their their stupid questions are emotion based therefore smarter than any logic based question then to tell a bunch of INTJs they are not only mean but stupid too....to the point where they are calling you autistic, retards and robots. It is just too precious for words....oh that is when they are sticking up for you as well....*giggles*

Yeah sure most of us here can just laugh at it....and we do.

Who is to say that because we know better that they shouldn't know better too?

Fact of it remains. If you go into another sub-forum to ask a question it's better make peace and be willing to accept what the answers are.

If we have the reputation already (even though it is not fully justified) of being sharks....what the hell are they thinking swimming in the infested waters?

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Libtard
22,563 Posts
Because they really think we're dolphins, named Flipper!!

:crazy:
I can always count on you to come to the party. :wink:

Wasn't there an episode where Flipper went rogue and started knocking over boats and being a general pain in the arse?

Or was that Skippy?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I can always count on you to come to the party. :wink:

Wasn't there an episode where Flipper went rogue and started knocking over boats and being a general pain in the arse?

Or was that Skippy?

You know it ;). Haha my god, what a hilarious video, it's nice to know you Aussies have your own version of Flipper. I'm not [email protected] Flipper going nuts, it's probably because of all of the trolls and people wanting to "pet" him/us.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts