Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite a while, I'm thinking how an ENTP that's considerably older than me is like. That is, an ENTP in his 40s or something. Or any age significantly older than mine.

I'm 30 years old now. I've never been consistently an ENTP, at least based on how I scored in some MBTI tests, which I took years ago.

I'm more SJ when I was younger. Well, everyone is coerced to act SJ while they're growing up, and if an ENTP gets to discover his ENTPness, it would be sometime later. And then, it would take a considerable time before this side of your character is embraced, let alone live a life within its inner dynamics.

I remember scoring INTP/INFP years ago--obsessed with Ti and Fi, as if a personal sense of logic and principles gives me a sense of affirmation.

It gets problematic in the long term because:
1. Ti is socially arrogant
2. Fi is the same
3. Sometimes, I'm starting to think that these cognitive processes are self augmented "strengths" to give inner affirmation if you don't get external validation.

Eventually, I'd realize that I need to have layers of practicality in my character to move forward--specifically, in terms of long term career and interpersonal relationships.

Discovering Ne and Fe is a charm. Ne is about context--open ended interpretations, meanings, symbolism, ideas, and when it goes well with the more politically correct and sensitive Fe, it adds layers upon layers of character flexibility that I hardly found in my more introverted state.

So basically, what I want to point out is, ENTP is a very empowering and enjoyable state. Ne gives an intellectual charm and Fe gives sort of a restraint in asserting our Ti convictions.

Still, at the end of the day, it's still an SJ world, and SJ people will expect you to act like SJ, and all these years of self discovery, acknowledgement, acceptance...

I've always wonder if ENTPs actually stay ENTP when the burden of everyday stress takes it toll. I mean, you're still expected to follow the rules (office rules, for example) no matter how much your NeTi think that they're stupid. Is there an effective way of coping without too much character compromise?

If there are older ENTPs here, please share your thoughts here.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm not an older ENTP.

But I think maturing -- in the sense of beng more considerate of those around you -- allows any personality type to thrive in a society regardless of who's running the show and still keep their individuality.

Reactions: Bonsai
1 - 2 of 2 Posts