Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

There are already a lot of 'dreamjournal threads' out here on PerC, but I've never seen one about nightmares specifically. If you want, you can share them and maybe even analyze them a little. (This is the psychology forum after all) ;)

I've realized (after listening to many dreams of many friends) that different people have very different types of nightmares (and dreams in general). So hopefully, after reading this thread, I won't have to question my own sanity anymore because of the weird nightmares I have. And neither will you. ;)

I look forward to reading them (and sharing mine, of course).
Cheers!

·
Registered
762 Posts
my latest nightmare would be me in a big haunted tree house with a lot of people living in it. its like a small town, with floors, and has facilities. bird view wise it looks like a square line surrounding a tree. i go along the hallway looking into the rooms and generally exploring. the people look like monsters but most of them are harmless. i go into a room with a lot of people just standing looking out a big opened window. out the window i see a big intense dam very close, you can feel the wind it makes and can smell the water. it makes you feel refreshing, i get a sense that we're actually trapped in this tree house, instead of just choosing to live in it. then i go down the ground floor and i see the big exit leading to a dark forest with a lot of tall trees, which is why its dark even in the morning. i know its the morning becuz previously i look out the window and it is. the exit looks like in the movies when a plane opens its butt, just a big gate with downhill path. theres a guard standing in the middle of the gate making warnings to a group of teenagers wanting to go into the forest. the teenagers swear back at the guard and then take steps into the forest. the guard just turns around and heads back in, but when he turns around you see a smile on his face, and somehow you know these kids will die out there. then i go back upstairs and walk around and encounter a school. students are human looking, but with weird personalities and habits and stuff. i enroll and somehow get into a relationship, and we have sex, and i decide to live in the school campus with my boyfriend. that place is scary, and weird, but not dangerous, as long as you stay out certain parts of it. i also made friends with 2 monsters, and its like happy Monster Inc. vibes up in here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I suppose that depends what age?

My most memorable nightmare from when I was little involved a giant chasing my mom and me home from an outdoor 4th of July event (after he jumped out from behind a tree when I got up to throw away some trash at the trashcan next to the tree) in an effort to squash the both of us into blueberry jelly.

Then after I first saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, I had a nightmare about Oompa Loompas coming for me.

It wasn't until maybe 2 years ago that I started having/remembering nightmares since then.

One involved a huge spider (my worst fear) that somehow looked like a puppy (but was every bit as creepy as a spider with the energy of a puppy). I woke from that one flat on my back and actually unable to move for a few minutes. It was my first encounter with sleep paralysis. That one still freaks me out when I think about it.

Then for a while I had a recurring nightmare (that happened 3 or 4 times that I can remember; also my only recurring dream) that was really fairly normal. I was just in the car, my mother was driving, and then somehow my door would be open (while we were driving relatively fast) and would then suddenly burst into flames, at which point I woke up. The fact that it was recurring bothered me more than anything else about the dream. I still don't know where it came from or what it is supposed to mean. Comments welcome. Lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll add my own little piece to this too. :) warning: scary clowns
First I have to say that I'm not specifically scared of clowns and I've never been scared of them. But that said, they still arer very creepy. (Especially in my nightmares)

When I was younger I had this reoccuring nightmare about a clown. He would trap me in my sisters room and basically bully me and yell at me. I had that dream from when I was 5 until I was about 9.

Recently I've had another version of that. You could say, an adult version. Here we go:

I'm in a hybrid-house that looks a bit like my parents and grandparents houses, only it is covered in big windows and see-through doors. (not entirely unlike the actual houses) It is the middle of the night and my sister and I are still watching TV. Suddenly a face appears behind the window. It's the face of a clown, only the rotten flesh/zombie version of it. (a little bit like the clown in 'American Horror Story').
My sister looks at me and says: "Why are you worried? It's that time of the month again, she does this everytime. You know she never comes in." (The clown is a 'she', btw). I can feel myself getting more nervous the longer the clown silently stares at me. (The silence part makes it even more creepy). I start walking to the kitchen and I notice that she follows me, wherever I go. And then I remember, there's nowhere to hide. It doesn't matter in what room I go, she will always see me and follow me. Only one layer of glass that seperates us.
Then I notice the axe in her hand. I think it's weird, because it was never there all of the other nights. I turn around to look at my sister, but she is gone. When I turn back around, I can't see the clown anymore. I can only hear the rhythm of the axe thudding against the thick glass. At this point I'm just freaking out, on the verge of a panick attack. Suddenly I remember, upstairs! There's a phone, maybe even a bed to hide under. I'm not even fully upstairs or I hear glass breaking. I run as fast as I can and take the closests thing that can be used as a weapon. Then I wait for it to come behind the corner. And when it doesn't, I'm confused, so I carefully look downstairs. I see my sister in a pool of her own blood. The clown is right behind her. I hold my breath, try not to make any noise and go to my room. I curl up in the closet (which isn't a good hiding spot) and desperately try to send a message for help. It won't work. I know the clown is coming for me and that's where the nightmare ends... (thank god)

Imagine yourself going back to sleep after that one...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did a school presentation today for our culminating project and I didn't practice once. Yesterday, I had a nightmare in which I was going to present. I was terrified during the nightmare. I didn't actually present in my nightmare. It took place before the presentation.

My presentation went fine. Like my nightmare, I was very anxious before the presentation but I wasn't scared during it.

Kinda a boring one, but that's what happened

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I have a weird superpower where nightmares never scare me. I'm just okay with 99% of what happens in the dreams I have. Except when I was taking something for social anxiety (I wish I knew the name) when I got freaked the heck out by a fairly mundane nightmare. Just looking at far off mountains and a person's face jumps into view.

Recently I had a bad dream however. I was driving my car and looking at my phone (I'm an idiot in dreams) and I ran into the k-rail of a highway. Had to walk a long ways with my sister to break the news to my wife (who left her phone in my car). Was crying my eyes out during the dream until I realized it wasn't real.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
When I was a kid I used to have a variety of nightmares and good dreams. Nowadays the nightmares I remember all seem to be the same. Sometimes I have a bad dream that I'm back at my mothers house in some way. I have disowned and haven't spoken to her in three years. It was very unhealthy to be around her and I hated living in that house. Guess I still have subconscious issues or whatever about my unpleasant childhood.

Also, ever since I was a kid I have nightmares every now and then about snakes. I had one last night and managed to wake myself up from it in the middle of the night. I'm scared of snakes ever since I was very young. When I was three I was in Indonesia on this tiny island staying in sort of shed house hotel type thing in a small rural village. And I was in the room and a massive snake came in. The adults put me up on the bed and I watched as they swept it outside with a broom. So yeah thinking about that's obviously where my phobia and snake nightmares came from.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,409 Posts
- giant slug the size of my house trying to kill me on my front path
- being stabbed to death in my neighbor's yard with a trident by the Greek God of War, Ares
- being chased. constantly. by something i can't see
- being chased by centaurs through a blacklight laser tag arena/medieval castle only to escape by hang glider.
- inception-style, i kept thinking i woke up from the dream only to find a random bench in my room, a hallmark that 'this was a dream'

Yeah, so my dreams are crazy as hell. I have the ability to wake up from my dreams if I'm not enjoying them, though, or to change what's happening. Sometimes, I'll wake up from a dream only to fall asleep and pick up where the dream left off.

Reactions: Mange and Braverose

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have all sorts of weird dreams, but there's one dream I had a few months ago that was different and memorable, even though it was short. The dream started with a loud noise, like a sound you hear in a horror movie or any movie where something big is about to happen (a ringing/bell). It seemed to have a purpose to waken my attention. I walked through the hallway, the house almost completely dark - as it usually is when it appears in my dreams. I approached the door leading outside, and I think it was opened for me. The outside was covered in a blue tint. When I awoke, I was in a short sleep paralysis, looking beside me in the bed, and then I think I saw a black hand right above my head. It was freaky, and afterwards it felt like somebody had been in the room.

The worst dreams I've had was when I was little. Old witches standing in front of my bed, and creepy sounds. Luckily I rarely experience those nowadays. However, I've had some dream experiences that were really freaky in recent times, where I've felt like I've floated across my room, and the intense feeling that someone was there. I guess sleep paralysis can seem very realistic, and my imagination just strenghtens it.

I experimented with astral traveling a year ago, and I managed to fly straight below my ceiling. It definitely felt like a whole seperate thing, and not an ordinary dream. I could feel my body lying in bed, a pressure in my head, and then being able to fly out of my body upwards.

·
King of Swing
8,790 Posts
I'm usually half awake and half asleep thinking my hanging clothes are people.
That there's something behind me with it's arm over me, wearing typically a hood.
There are spiders in my bed and on my body, I leap out to turn on the light.
Spiders on my face.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Trigger warning: guns

It is early in the morning. I awaken in a bed that's not familiar in a summer house I don't recognize. A strange sound woke me up and I look around me to give meaning to that sound. I see that all doors and windows are open. On a few meters on the outside of the house there's a man standing, staring at me. 2 steps and he would be able to reach the bed. While trying to move as little as possible I look through the remaining door and windows. I realise that the whole house is being surrounded by men in a grey uniform. Their machineguns lean carelessly against their shoulder.
And then I realise that my sister is still fast asleep in another room, I have to go warn her. I leave the bed and see that the man does not react, that is until I try to leave the room. From the moment I go through the door opening, the man aims his gun at me. I stop for a second and take a step backwards. Then I decide to try to make it anyway. I duck behind the other side of the wall. Gunshots whiz by my ear. There must be at least 12 men firing away. I crawl my way through the hallway. I see other men in brown uniforms looking through the windows, not saying a word. Difference is, they are trying to come inside, which is not difficult since all the doors are open.
I make it inside my sisters room, she is hiding under the bed but the men are aiming at her anyway. I get shot in the leg and start to panic. I notice the fear in my sisters eyes and I say to her that we are gonna escape.

And that's the moment I woke up (for real, this time).
I'm starting to notice a pattern in my nightmares though...

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
A small man-dog hybrid ("senior citizen" head and dog body) wanted to have sex with me. I still remember this after six or so years.

Also of note, I woke up yelling one time when I dreamed about a hag trying to kiss me.

Also, I had one nightmare where I wasn't really present, about a claymation troll raping a maiden in his cave.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a nightmare last night for the first time in a long time. I dreamed that I was in a house (a fairly normal house), but something simply felt wrong with this place. I was trying to open up a sort of wooden box because there was something moving inside it. A lot of other freaky things happened which I can't remember, but then there was a cat with me. It was a really smart cat. Suddenly, a lamp light clicked and the lights went out and the cat started meowing frantically and loudly, as if it was afraid. Of course, I was afraid as well and I started to run up some stairs. Someone was going after us. I woke up shortly after and my laptop had turned on on its own with probably some sort of update. That freaked me out a bit since I had JUST awoken from that dream...

Reactions: Braverose

·
Registered
21 Posts
(In response to spidershane): These sound like night terrors to me. I've had a similar experience with thinking there was a giant spider on my wall. I was half-dreaming, half-awake, so I jumped from my bed and ran down the hall, only to realize what on earth I was doing? Oh, I had been dreaming! I think those nights which blend into reality are night terrors.

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
My nightmares have become part of my "normal" dreams now, as in same dreams but no longer scare me.

Usually they're about isolation or loss. Considering that I am usually isolated anyways (live alone in terms of mentality even if there is still people in the same house) also I don't have any connections to anything so there isn't really anything to lose.
And the gorier/ disturbing side has become more of a thrill now rather than a terror.

I do have other dreams about other concepts, but this is about "nightmares" so.

Reactions: Braverose
1 - 20 of 25 Posts