Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitting in for our own self esteem is great and everything, but the norm is to let others die instead of donating 50 cents to feed a family for a week in a different country.

I readily admit how undisciplined my habits are, in that I'd rather play computer games, chase girls, lash out at friends and family, society and peers when i'm not being considered enough.. edit: amongst other things..

And i also admit that habits can be restructured, to where helping other people makes me feel the same way all that other stuff does.

It isn't an easy battle for me, but I wouldn't be here talking about it so easily, were I still in denial due to not thinking it possible.

Screw necessity, the fact of the matter is that it is practically possible, to get off by focusing on helping others just as much as we focus on ourselves.

Screw necessity, for people will argue survival of the fittest, but that is no excuse to ignore and be in denial about the possibliity of being selfless, and being just as happy as we are now...

edit2:Not all of us need to be told this, and I'm writing this to myself just as much as others. Let's not play power games where we try to act more wise or "humble" than another.

Or I suppose, let us just try to extend beyond the fear of death, ridicule, being outcasted, while at the same time, learning how to help others in a way that let's us "succeed."

Because everyone knows success is fun :D

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I suppose I'll leave this here. I admit, even I didn't use it for more than a day the first time I saw it. Thankfully, a post on PerC today reminded me of it; I suppose it might be a nice start.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I suppose I'll leave this here. I admit, even I didn't use it for more than a day the first time I saw it. Thankfully, a post on PerC today reminded me of it; I suppose it might be a nice start.
yeah but think about it. it's being advertised on the internet. it costs resources, which are taken away from poor people. The same communication channel that tells you to do good fucks up those same poor people.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
yeah but think about it. it's being advertised on the internet. it costs resources, which are taken away from poor people. The same communication channel that tells you to do good fucks up those same poor people.
Hmmm... maybe. But wouldn't the resources be taken from the ones who made the site, or at least the ones who use the internet? Either way, better to take from the poor than take from the hungry. At least everyone gets to eat :p

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, combining what all three of us are saying, I wonder if the "act of giving" is more important, or just as important, as "logically giving to the person that needs it the most."

Actually, I think that just helped me tremendously... just not exactly sure how yet, but I'm sticky posting it on my wall for now until later :)

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
So I'm from a 3rd world developing country and there are a lot of problems here..but lets not deviate.
I firmly believe that until your at a point in life where you are comfortable and have a lot of issues solved you should not get into world charity., but rather try and help those around you. Every single person in this world has problems, some on different levels of hell than others..but at the same time I see a lot of completely false information being distributed about other countries to developed countries. A good example is KONY 2012 . If you don't know what that is it was a charity programme of some sorts geared towards helping Uganda and its people. Many people jumped to help support this seemingly worthy cause and many more were touched by its inspirational video. While I was not in a position to help I felt a sense of falseness from the entire thing and investigated further. What I found was an absolute "scam" . The people of Uganda were still fighting but the position they were in was much less dire as the video made it out to be. I tire when writing about the negativity in the world so I'm attaching a tumblr that has both sides of the story if anyone is interested.
Visible Children - KONY 2012 Criticism

So in conclusion I know the feelings of pain we feel about the world is there. If you really want to contribute I suggest the WHO or Redcross. At least to some level we can be sure that people who need help are getting it from these valid organizations.

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Fitting in for our own self esteem is great and everything, but the norm is to let others die instead of donating 50 cents to feed a family for a week in a different country.

I readily admit how undisciplined my habits are, in that I'd rather play computer games, chase girls, lash out at friends and family, society and peers when i'm not being considered enough.. edit: amongst other things..

And i also admit that habits can be restructured, to where helping other people makes me feel the same way all that other stuff does.

It isn't an easy battle for me, but I wouldn't be here talking about it so easily, were I still in denial due to not thinking it possible.

Screw necessity, the fact of the matter is that it is practically possible, to get off by focusing on helping others just as much as we focus on ourselves.

Screw necessity, for people will argue survival of the fittest, but that is no excuse to ignore and be in denial about the possibliity of being selfless, and being just as happy as we are now...

edit2:Not all of us need to be told this, and I'm writing this to myself just as much as others. Let's not play power games where we try to act more wise or "humble" than another.

Or I suppose, let us just try to extend beyond the fear of death, ridicule, being outcasted, while at the same time, learning how to help others in a way that let's us "succeed."

There will always be hunger and poverty in the world. There isn't much we can do about it, but we can be grateful for lives we have.
this made me smile. It's like INFP INFP INFP then BAM ENFP :D

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@starri @Ntuitive

Because a task can not be completed, it shouldn't be worked on at all?

Because we can not solve the world's hunger, there isn't "much" we can do?

Be grateful, sure.

But the norm, is to let others die.

Some of my other posts are more lofty. Perhaps check in to those and enjoy the stay. They offer a free meal and bed for the night.

Carry on ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think that, in general, there is a very white-and-black view of making a difference.

The original intent of making a difference is always questioned and people are taught to be careful when helping others.

I go by the belief that you treat others how you'd like to be treated. So when someone is asking me for change, I will give them change because I empathize with them and I know that if I were in their shoes, I would hope that someone would help me out too.

Regardless of the intent (meaning whether you really care about whatever cause you're giving your attention to or you only pay attention to it because you feel like you have to), you are still making a difference. And maybe, the more time you spend on that cause the more you will become invested in it fully.

And what constitutes "making a difference?" Many things, in my opinion. And what I'm going to say sounds very cliche, but is honestly how I feel.

Volunteering whenever you can and donating money to a cause (while both acts are definitely helpful and selfless) are not the only ways to make a difference.

Choosing to educate yourself about numerous issues and not basking in ignorance is making a difference (because then you can educate those around you who may not be aware). Speaking out against something/someone that actively hurts others is making a difference.

Listening to the voices of those who are in need and/or are oppressed definitely makes a difference -- it's truly amazing when someone lets you voice your struggles without judgment, cutting off, disregarding, dismissing and tone-policing. (and no, that doesn't mean you try to relate to them if you can't really identify with their struggles -- that's derailing don't do it).

Just saying.

·
Banned
263 Posts
I don't think if one have 50 cents and the opportunity to donate them for something as big as feeding a family for a week that he won't, what would stop him except avarice.
Or do you mean 50 cents is all one's got and it's a question of whether he will have it for himself or donate it? that's a different story. In that case it's hard to set 'the norm' because the 'norm' in this case is set based on the motivations. Like if one is in war 'the norm' is to stay alive based on human's fear of death but also 'the norm' is to sacrifice one's life based on human's values of honor and altruism. So I think motivations differ so do 'the norm'.

There's also another option; divide the 50 cents between 'me' and 'the hungry family'.

That's 'your' personal preferences.

'possible' not 'norm'..

Again; 'possibility'..

Correct me if I'm wrong, this statement means that all have to agree with your idea or else not to participate their thoughts..

learning how to help others in a way that let's us "succeed"
That is not helping others, that is helping ourselves. The right(norm) meaning of helping others is total dispense of personal gains.

I agree with you; 'success' is fun. But success is a relative term.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hmmm... maybe. But wouldn't the resources be taken from the ones who made the site, or at least the ones who use the internet? Either way, better to take from the poor than take from the hungry. At least everyone gets to eat :p
I am 100% sure this is happening. Through the front door you get the subsidies, advertisements, etc. etc. Through the backdoor you get business for our Western world. I am not saying that there is no violence in their country or that it's all good over there. I am saying that for example, my country, consumes for something like 3 times this world.

The information is all there but because it is all indirect and because of our ego... people won't see it. I have to admit that it includes myself. I enjoy life, do a bit of work, sounds all good right? Well, think/imagine in this way ...every 10 years you step into your car you drive over an African kid. I'm not saying it's 10 years because maybe it's 30 or even 50 or 5, but at least it is regular because we keep going the way we go.

We come here to PerC feeling all good about ourselves talking to others...yeah right. :tongue:

Reactions: Vin The Dreamer

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Actually, combining what all three of us are saying, I wonder if the "act of giving" is more important, or just as important, as "logically giving to the person that needs it the most."
The act of giving is more important because, by acting you can see what the impact of your act is. Not only is it important to feed the poor, it is also important to see the environmental effects of that feeding. With the example I gave about the advertisements taking up resources you can think in the direction of: are the acts of kindness I do really help people AND their environment?

In my opinion there is nothing more valuable than helping people by considering their environment. Those long-term effects really do much more than just sending a package of food.

And do you know why it isn't happening? --> it isn't advertisement to plant a tree. It doesn't sell sufficiently. THAT'S WHY! It doesn't go parallel with the Western world...because if it would we would lose our competitive advantage. Seriously. Our kind of aid to third world countries is dependant on emotions. This is where it all goes wrong...

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The act of giving is more important because, by acting you can see what the impact of your act is. Not only is it important to feed the poor, it is also important to see the environmental effects of that feeding. With the example I gave about the advertisements taking up resources you can think in the direction of: are the acts of kindness I do really help people AND their environment?

In my opinion there is nothing more valuable than helping people by considering their environment. Those long-term effects really do much more than just sending a package of food.

And do you know why it isn't happening? --> it isn't advertisement to plant a tree. It doesn't sell sufficiently. THAT'S WHY! It doesn't go parallel with the Western world...because if it would we would lose our competitive advantage. Seriously. Our kind of aid to third world countries is dependant on emotions. This is where it all goes wrong...
Good thoughts, but I'm a bit lost. Is it okay if I ask you to again tell me what you mean?

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think if one have 50 cents and the opportunity to donate them for something as big as feeding a family for a week that he won't, what would stop him except avarice.
Or do you mean 50 cents is all one's got and it's a question of whether he will have it for himself or donate it? that's a different story. In that case it's hard to set 'the norm' because the 'norm' in this case is set based on the motivations. Like if one is in war 'the norm' is to stay alive based on human's fear of death but also 'the norm' is to sacrifice one's life based on human's values of honor and altruism. So I think motivations differ so do 'the norm'.

There's also another option; divide the 50 cents between 'me' and 'the hungry family'.

That's 'your' personal preferences.

'possible' not 'norm'..

Again; 'possibility'..

Correct me if I'm wrong, this statement means that all have to agree with your idea or else not to participate their thoughts..

learning how to help others in a way that let's us "succeed"
That is not helping others, that is helping ourselves. The right(norm) meaning of helping others is total dispense of personal gains.

I agree with you; 'success' is fun. But success is a relative term.
There is nothing wrong with you improving my points, or clarifying what you were worried was not clarified before, if that was your intention.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts