Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to Jan Mayen, a Norwegian uninhabited island

This has a volcano called Beerenberg (which is a Dutch name) for Bear's Mountain because of the polar bears that have been sighted here. The Beerenberg volcano last erupted in january 1985, and is known as the northernmost volcano that exists.

The place is lonely and very alienating, and also weird, given the photo's i'll show you

The beach

The most pointless road ever since it's an uninhabited island lol

An even more pointless traditional signpost that show you how far it is away from traditional civilization, most on the cities on the signpost are Norwegian.

An old cross saying in Norwegian: "Here rests brave Dutch Men".

A panoramic photo...

The island is one that has been discovered and lost multiple times in history. It is likely to be discovered in the early medieval times by the Irish, but it got lost. Than the Vikings rediscovered it, but it was reforgotten. The Dutch then rediscovered it, and settled it between 1615 and 1638...

The Dutch abandoned it, and it was uninhabited for two and a half centuries again. In 1882 Austro-Hungarians would start research on the Island. The league of nation gave juridisiction of the island to Norway in 1920, when the Norwegians would monitor it and put a meteorological station here.

It stuns me how this island has been unclaimed for so long.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
@Electra; you might be interested in this.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's beautiful
thanks for sharing!
Thank you, maybe I should do a travel guide series in which I explore a certain country or less known region to "highlight" it and bring attention to it. :)

·
Registered
INTP
6,899 Posts
Judging by those photos, it seems a lot of people know it exists.

It's still amazing though.

When I'm moderately rich, I intend to travel a lot of places like that. Lesser known islands, etc in northern Europe.

·
Premium Member
44,467 Posts
This was very interesting, thank you so much for sharing it 😃 also it made me laugh 😆😂

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
So cool. Surprised the corporate overlords haven't taken it over yet.

·
Registered
ENTJ
1,184 Posts
I gotta say, it's baffling how much space there is in Norway and how few inhabitants it has. Now that the leftwing is doing well, hopefully that means immigration will be smoother.

·
Premium Member
44,467 Posts
Might be icebears there though 😊

Reactions: KindaSnob!

·
INFP
7,063 Posts
if looking at the sunhours here one might get one of the clues to why few people want to live there, there's no sun in november, december and january, a three month long night, and even in summer, there are only on average 5 hours a day though they ought to have midnightsun, because of clouds, so it is a mostly dark and overcast place, probably pretty depressing to live there year around. In many places over the polar circle, at least you get compensated for the dark of winter with lots of sun in summer, though short.

It does look beautiful in the pictures though, and seems worth a visit. With little growing the shapes of the land gets so dramatic and clear.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In fact, with 825 hours of sunshine per year, we are in one of the least sunny places in the world.
Least sunny places in the world, lol.

The climate of Jan Mayen is sub-polar, wet and windy, with a long, freezing and snowy winter, and a cold summer.
Jan Mayen is an island, 53 km and a half (33 mi) long, not permanently inhabited, located in the Arctic Ocean, 550 km (340 mi) north-east of Iceland and at the same latitude as the North Cape. To the west, 450 km (280 mi) away, we find Greenland, from which cold air masses arrive, which however often collide with milder air coming from the south. For this reason, the wind blows hard, especially from September to May, with real storms. June and July are the least windy months.
Lots of wind too.

• Wow
Reactions: Electra

·
Premium Member
44,467 Posts
That sounds a bit creepy 🥺

·
Premium Member
44,467 Posts
They probably have low crime rates though 😃

Reactions: Lakigigar