Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How true is this in your opinion?

I know that this 'nothing box' exists within me. My favourite thing to do is to not think.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Are you related to me?

·
Registered
17,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By blood possibley not, but on a different plane im sure :)

I think the longest i've ever not thought was after a big party at my house. The morning after I swear I blanked out watching the TV for an entire 5-7 mins straight. I don't know how long others konk out for but to me this time was more intense it actually felt like being brain dead.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I never knew how guys could do that, because so many of my friends are able to just sit at home doing nothing...and when I hear that or see it it's like 'There's so much you could possibly be getting done or doing, why wouldn't you want to do that?'

I can relate to it, except the caring about everything part...There are a number of things I care about, but if those things change I can accommodate that. Hakuna Matata.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Nice show but I don't relate to it. Hes just like a religious preacher, and I can't sit and empty my mind, I always have voices, sounds, thoughts, etc inside my mind. The only times I could "empty it" was sleeping or practicing extreme sports, right at the climax, just like an orgasm (there is plenty of documentation of why they are alike). Other than that I find relationships among many subjects and thoughts, it's been useful at work and in general on my life. Instead I often struggle with explaining to others the not apparent relationships among ideas. And yes, I've worked as a programmer, I find it extremely easy so no I don't think this is a woman -diff- guy thing.

I have a great memory (still at my middle 30s), and the way I can relate things allows me to connect just so many other things. I've discussed this with other intjs and we agree that this helps us to improve our lie detector functions, people don't connect things, some of us do. So no I don't relate to what the guy says, not at all.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
BTW, he missed the joke about womens' brains having everything interconnected as the cause of women throwing a lot of old, resolved issues into arguments in a completely bewildering (for men) manner.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think constantly, but if someone asked me what I'm thinking, I would respond with "nothing". I think most guys are like that.
I'm like this too (and I'm not a guy).
My main reason for answering nothing, is that my mind jumps all over the place. Thoughts pop in and out of my mind at random, and I forget them almost as quickly as they come.
So rather that tell people the 5 or so random things that I may have thought about in the 5 seconds leading up to the question, I just say nothing.

I have a lot of things in my mind, but they're not really connected.

I'm not one for dredging up the past, because I've long forgotten it. . . and unless someone brings it up, it stays filed away.

Sometimes people remind me of things that I should remember but that I draw a complete blank on. . . and only after a few prods does it come back to mind.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
BTW, he missed the joke about womens' brains having everything interconnected as the cause of women throwing a lot of old, resolved issues into arguments in a completely bewildering (for men) manner.
if you're arguing with someone then you've already failed

OT: there's always something on my mind, I run hot :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My brain is not at all like the male brain he described. It's either like the female brain where everything's connected or it's like I have a bunch of boxes that are touching each other. I only just discovered that I have a nothing box this past month...and I'm 28 years old. I still hardly ever use it, find it a bit draining and difficult to do, and notice a song or melody in my mind while experiencing this nothing box. Maybe a male Type 2 ENFP is more like a girl's mind in a man's body.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The whole video can be summed up in one sentence:

Women think bilaterally, men do not.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
My thoughts and feelings are all interconnected with other thoughts and feelings. I remember details more accurately when something seems emotionally meaningful to me. However, I don't mind mental stillness. I sometimes need it to recharge. I experience energy as a kind of pulse, where there are moments of expending it, and moments of stillness when it returns. I can't always be doing or thinking something, because if I were to attempt it, I would exhaust my supply of energy.

I wrote about it here, a while back.
http://personalitycafe.com/blogs/snail/random-writings-6-314/

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hmm, I'm definitely the ball of wire. Something as simple as deciding which restaurant to eat at sets off all kinds of alarms and surveillance systems scanning for values, meanings and consequences. I even realize the insanity of it most times, but that doesn't stop me.

The line that got me: everything is important

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
719 Posts
im actually kind of pissed i watched that. no offense.

Reactions: Blanco

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Hmmm...okay, well first off, I think these women who are irritated at watching a man "doing nothing" are probably mostly ESFJs. So on that point he's been around a ton of ESFJ women, which isn't difficult, since most women are ESFJ or ISFJ.

As an ISFP, I am sure I am just as likely to "do nothing."

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, I'm actually quite in agreement that I CARE ABOUT EVERYTHING (like the other ISFP posting above me said, as well) and I REMEMBER EVERYTHING I CARE ABOUT and THAT ALL THE BOXES IN MY BRAIN ARE CONNECTED.

So...I agree with most of it, except for the part about getting irritated about a man doing nothing, which may be a trait mostly of ESFJ women.

I know some differences in the male and female brains really are due to sex differences, like how women's brains ARE more connected by the corpus collusum, which contributes to the stereotype that it's more difficult for women to compartmentalize...well, because it is.

Yet on the other hand, personality type differences may account for some this. Like perhaps ENFP or ISFP men "care more" like women do about more things emotionally, than say, ISTJ or ENTP men do.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I know some differences in the male and female brains really are due to sex differences, like how women's brains ARE more connected by the corpus collusum, which contributes to the stereotype that it's more difficult for women to compartmentalize...well, because it is.
Yes, at one time I would have argued that they were nearly identical, but I know they're not, now. Most of the differences arise in utero and are determined by the amount and types of hormones the child is exposed to. It's very possible for male and female children to somehow have a mixup and be exposed to varying amounts of the wrong hormones, and it alters their persona to a degree depending on the what they were exposed to.

Digit ratio is a good indicator of prenatal hormone exposure. Mine is right at 1.0.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Banned
1,158 Posts

How true is this in your opinion?

I know that this 'nothing box' exists within me. My favourite thing to do is to not think.
men are, by nature, more structured than women. in 'when she was bad, by patricia pearson, she highlights this in her discussion of womens prisons. in mens prisons, violence (especially murder) is used as a containment mechanism to make sure no one breaks the rules. prison, for men, is a very harsh and structured hierarchy. in womens prisons, violence tends to occur arbitrarily and as the result of emotions. murder occurs far less because murder, in its severity, is reserved as a punishment for the most heinous violations. but in a womens prison, looking at someone the wrong way may get your scalp ripped off in an industrial garbage disposal.

Reactions: Wellsy
1 - 20 of 23 Posts