Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 481 Posts

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISTP's are prone to obsessing over one thing at a time until they've perfected it, or at least lost interest.

What are some things you are currently, or once upon a time obsessed over, if anything?

These can be anything including but not limited to: learning a language, learning myers briggs, aliens, hobbies, a certain sport etc.

Here are some of mine:
-Mixing techno
-Warhammer 40k
-Bruce Lee
-Myers Briggs
-Kung fu
-Paintball
-long time ago I was obsessed with ufo's until I decided I'd never have an answer.
-Video games < its waning with age, but it used to be really bad

Maybe we might spark one another's interests so we'll each have something new to learn?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Zombie Hunting...
Training for the coming Zombie Apocalypse....
Medical Research..
Ninja
Kendo
The Daily Show
Bones
Some anime..
Some video games..
masturba....errr...*cough*

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ooh...
- Pharmacology(By extension, chemistry)
- Psychology
- My bass <3
- Arting, in general

I've been a complete recluse lately, so I'm trying to figure out some good hobbies to take up with my friends.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmm.

Cars.
Growing veggies.
Tang Soo Do.
Dog training.
Drumming.
Playing guitar and bass.
Fallout 3. (currently)
Weapons of pretty much all manner.
Highlander the series.
Metallica.
Bewbies.

edit:
How could I have forgotten my childhood obsession with ninjas and Sho Kosugi?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a zombie alien UFO that I've kept hidden in my back yard till I could think of some use for it, I might be willing to part with it for the right price if either of you guys want to make an offer. ^ ^

My list:
Hieroglyphics and a few other ancient or dead writing styles.
Cryptography, primarily older modes of encryption.
Ancient weaponry and weapon crafting techniques.
Leather craft, still one of my favorite crafts.
Jewelry design and repair.
Nutrition and Natural medicine.
The Force!
A lot of the stuff you guys listed as well.
Psychic Ninja Mind Powers of Brainwa... err well I'll just stop there. :tongue:

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
None of what you mentioned sounds like an obsession to me. Just your areas of interest and hobbies.
I have been interested in cyphers ever since I read "Alvin's Secret Code." I've made several leather projects, belts, moccasins, knife sheaths, eyeglass case, etc. Kits bought from TANDY Leather. Building a potato canon is currently on my short list, not a real weapon, but I won't go to jail if I get caught.

Currently in my garage I have over 80 speaker components, lots of woofers and tweeters. Am I obsessed? Maybe, maybe not.
I counted 27 hammers in my collection. Am I obsessed? Nah, I just have a lot of tools.

I have a zombie alien UFO that I've kept hidden in my back yard till I could think of some use for it, I might be willing to part with it for the right price if either of you guys want to make an offer. ^ ^

My list:
Hieroglyphics and a few other ancient or dead writing styles.
Cryptography, primarily older modes of encryption.
Ancient weaponry and weapon crafting techniques.
Leather craft, still one of my favorite crafts.
Jewelry design and repair.
Nutrition and Natural medicine.
The Force!
A lot of the stuff you guys listed as well.
Psychic Ninja Mind Powers of Brainwa... err well I'll just stop there. :tongue:

·
Registered
85 Posts
None of what you mentioned sounds like an obsession to me. Just your areas of interest and hobbies.
Nope. Most were obsessions(aside from the jokes of course). I just must be a real obsessive guy I guess. I would have listed stuff like reading or gaming in interests and hobbies. But I will admit that I'd probably include the crafts in a list of hobbies and Nutrition and Natural medicine in interests as well. And sadly, I think The Force really was an obsession for a good chunk of my youth LOL.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Nope. Most were obsessions(aside from the jokes of course). I just must be a real obsessive guy I guess. I would have listed stuff like reading or gaming in interests and hobbies. But I will admit that I'd probably include the crafts in a list of hobbies and Nutrition and Natural medicine in interests as well. And sadly, I think The Force really was an obsession for a good chunk of my youth LOL.
I've always wished I could choke the shit out of someone kind of like Darth Vader did from 10 feet away. Well at least until they turned blue.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some more recent ones
mentalism
micro expressions psychology etc.
learning how to do henna tattoos (there are pieces of paper all over the house covered with em!)
learning russian
and have just learnt about the myer briggs thing so am trying to figure out what types my friends are and all that. Asked them to take a test. So far one has and they said they couldn't understand most of the words so could be wrong haha

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Some more recent ones
mentalism
micro expressions psychology etc.
learning how to do henna tattoos (there are pieces of paper all over the house covered with em!)
learning russian
and have just learnt about the myer briggs thing so am trying to figure out what types my friends are and all that. Asked them to take a test. So far one has and they said they couldn't understand most of the words so could be wrong haha
I know someone who went to Mexico and got one of those supposed "Henna" tattoos, he had a skin reaction and it left him with a nasty scar. I guess it was hair coloring or something like that. Someone else in the same group purchased some supposed top shelf Tequila and when they finally cracked the seal, they discovered the bottle was filled with water!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ugh yeah I've seen a picture of that looks horrible.Did it really leave a scar?Ouch! That was black henna which has a weird chemical in it.
Mexico, the land where nothing is as it seems :tongue:

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
My biggest current obsession is belly dancing. I am still the most beginning of beginners, though. It's fun, challenging, and works out all the physical nasties that come with stress.

Oh, and male belly dances confuse the fuck out of me. Should I be disturbed or aroused? :confused:

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Agreed.....
ob·ses·sion (b-sshn, b-)
n.
1. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
2. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.
These sound like your hobbies. The fact that your list varies indicates you're not obsessed by them. I don't think we obsess over anything unless triggered by our Fe.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I agree that obsession is the wrong word. I think what DJ meant is that when we discover something really fascinating, we want to focus on that thing to the exclusion of all else. For a little while at least, or until we've figured it out or mastered it.

The operative characteristic is how focused we can be, to the point of (temporarily) becoming oblivious to other things. I think this focus might be even greater when there's some kind of challenge involved. For instance, I had a relative who was "obsessed" with inventing a perpetual motion machine. I don't know if he was an ISTP, but I might have inherited some of this trait because I love doing things that other people would consider impossible. Once you get into the realm of the impossible, the possible becomes very dull (and unchallenging) in comparison.

·
Banned
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Rousse's interpretation hit the mark.

People tell me I'm obsessed, mostly because I have little to no interest in their lives, and everything I talk about is typically whatever is my interest. So I tend to look like I'm obsessed. Anyway I'm looking for your hobbies and interests upon which you focus all of your attention.

1 - 20 of 481 Posts