Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was younger I was fascinated by documentaries about Ghosts, UFOs, psychics and anything else...although admittedly i'd always be terrified for months after I watched ghost or UFO documentaries because i'd be afraid that they were aware that I knew about them and come to get me (LMAO I was such a weird child)

Anyways, were or are any of you guys into that kind of stuff?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Sure.
Just another avenue of knowledge.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
When I was younger I was fascinated by documentaries about Ghosts, UFOs, psychics and anything else...although admittedly i'd always be terrified for months after I watched ghost or UFO documentaries because i'd be afraid that they were aware that I knew about them and come to get me (LMAO I was such a weird child)

This thread is about "the occult?" - Yet you are listing things that are related to the paranormal. I was hoping to meet some Hermetic magicians in here, but instead you are just talking about the History channel. :tongue:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yes. Exactly as you said, down to being afraid of being picked up at night...:)

I skimmed almost all literature of occult/paranormal subjects... and after reading enough Von Däniken, I realised that most of it was pure mumbo-jumbo. But I keep an open mind still....

Reactions: Theyknow

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Yup, I was, My favorite was SASQUATCH!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
i think most of psychology comes from the occult....plus, aleister crowley is the shit

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I'm a square and the paranormal doesn't do anything for me. I'm cynical to the end of the Earth, and I always have been. If you give me something well-evidenced enough you might be able to convince me, but good luck. Hasn't happened yet.

Wow....Am I really the only one so far?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts

I can completely relate. I've been into that crap since I was seven or so.
But yeah, it did scare me when I was little. But I was still always oddly fascinated.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I was fascinated by it too. I don't really believe in it today but I still get hooked and listen eagerly despite my skepticism. I think were drawn to it because it deals with the unknown and our knowledge hungry minds want to solve the mystery and fully understand it.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I was fascinated by it too. I don't really believe in it today but I still get hooked and listen eagerly despite my skepticism. I think were drawn to it because it deals with the unknown and our knowledge hungry minds want to solve the mystery and fully understand it.
It's just so much more awesome than what is proven with empirical evidence or what is accepted. I can't even say if I believe any of it or not. That's beyond the point for me, though.
Things like this creep me out but also really fascinate me: The Black Stick Man

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's fun to think about, but to actually become paranoid because of it with no real evidence? Eh.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a square and the paranormal doesn't do anything for me. I'm cynical to the end of the Earth, and I always have been. If you give me something well-evidenced enough you might be able to convince me, but good luck. Hasn't happened yet.

Wow....Am I really the only one so far?
I'm not into it too much anymore. I have an interest in the afterlife but i'm not sure what to do with ghosts...but I don't believe in aliens in the way that others do. I believe other life exists out there but it's probably not as humanoid and probably hasn't contacted us yet.

I'm kind of becoming a bit of a skeptic now lol.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I think it would do most people good to fully research stuff with an open mind, and after analysis see that it is mostly nonsense. To just JUDGE it all as fable without checking it out is hardly logical, is it?....;-)

Most of it is pure nonsense, but there are of course interesting bits in this too: Just thinking of WHY and HOW people come up with the stories is intriguing (psychological or otherwise). And in some cases I bet that the "paranormal" today is accepted science tomorrow. Things like "ball lightning" and other stuff. Magnetic fields effecting human brain etc.

Interesting stuff to add to the "World model" in the intuitives head. But mostly fable yes....

Reactions: xrevolutionx

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
i think most of psychology comes from the occult....plus, aleister crowley is the shit
This is what makes threads like this so funny.

NT's will run in here and proclaim that there is not enough research to convince them when so much of psychological and personality theory is directly related to the occult.

Hell Freud struggled with the idea of the Occult and Jung accepted it wholeheartedly.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I think it would do most people good to fully research stuff with an open mind, and after analysis see that it is mostly nonsense. To just JUDGE it all as fable without checking it out is hardly logical, is it?....;-)

Most of it is pure nonsense, but there are of course interesting bits in this too: Just thinking of WHY and HOW people come up with the stories is intriguing (psychological or otherwise). And in some cases I bet that the "paranormal" today is accepted science tomorrow. Things like "ball lightning" and other stuff. Magnetic fields effecting human brain etc.

Interesting stuff to add to the "World model" in the intuitives head. But mostly fable yes....

If the MBTI should teach you anything it's that all types have blind spots in their cognition, that is things that they simply cannot percieve.
Perhaps certain types can't see ghosts because they aren't equipped to see them,the windows of their perception filter them out.

In this vein all knowledge and all perceptions should hardly be dismissed but rather taken as perhaps not for our type.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I've never been into it, but an ENTP got me to watch an interesting show about it. I don't know how it works, but I've heard a lot about it.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Psychological stuff like MBTI is not a science at all and no one ever said that it was. It's more of a personal and pragmatic thing, and if it works for you in terms of helping you to grow as a person, then it's fulfilled its purpose. Try to take it any further than that and it's utter nonsense.

Straight-up occult, on the other hand, does nothing for me. Nothing at all. Pragmatic and personal benefits to make up for its utterly pseudo-scientific nature? None. Therein lies the difference.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Psychological stuff like MBTI is not a science at all and no one ever said that it was. It's more of a personal and pragmatic thing, and if it works for you in terms of helping you to grow as a person, then it's fulfilled its purpose. Try to take it any further than that and it's utter nonsense.

Straight-up occult, on the other hand, does nothing for me. Nothing at all. Pragmatic and personal benefits to make up for its utterly pseudo-scientific nature? None. Therein lies the difference.
Do you think science can or will eventually explain all phenomena?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts