Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What personality types do the characters in The Office (US) have do you think and why? Here's my opinions. (By the way, seen each episode!)

Michael Scott
Personality Type: ESFP
Why: Michael is obviously extraverted; he craves being the center of attention, is loud and very out there without a care in the world. He's sensing due to the lack of accurate intutive streak he has. Doesn't see things deeply; thinks overly too much due to wanting to choose for the right reasons and watches the "here and now". He's a feeler due to him caring about people more than himself, he's senstive, and a very kind person who chooses options due to how he feels about them. And last but not least, he's a P due to his procrastating streak; spontanious and getting bored easily. He's more interested in relationships than tasks. Michael Scott is defientely a ESFP, second personality type leaning to ENFP.

Dwight Schrute
Personality Type: ESTJ
Why: Dwight is extraverted, he shares his opinions openly and likes to be the leader. If anything, he could be the president of China. He's sensing, due to not really understanding certain things deeply, but can see the little details no one can see, is very concrete and looks at the "here and now". He's absolutely a strong thinker, he isn't afraid to hurt somebody's feelings in order to get his opinion out there. He says anything that comes to mind in a strong matter. And last but not least, he's a J, always get work done and has everything according to a genius plan. His second leaning personality type ENTJ.

Jim Halpert
Personality Type: INFP
Why: Many argue that Jim is Extraverted due to him always having a entertained audience by playing a running gag by pranking clueless Dwight Schrute. Alas, I propose him to be Introverted. Jim is quiet, soft-spoken, private, and at times awkward by not properly expressing his feelings. (Popular example would be telling his undying love for Pam and waiting 4 years) He's intutive by going with his gut to choose his decisons, such as buying a house and going for his dream job. He's able to see peoples intentions and motives while others seem not to. (He even saved Dwight from getting fired and getting Michael to open his eyes to see people using him.) He's a feeler due to be a softy, and not always sharing his frustrations due to hurting one's feelings. He chooses things by how he feels about them and practically cried when Michael left with Holly. He even gives good advice to those in need. And last, he's a P, by putting things off and pranking Dwight instead. He also is spontanious and gets bored easily (such as working at a paper company) he also is shown to be a messy person when roommates with Daryl. INFPs are dreamers, as Jim evidently is.

Pam Beesly
Personality Type: ISFP
Why: Pam is seen to love being around people, although she doesn't like to be the center of attention nor is she a good leader. She's quiet and thinks before speaking. Although, I must say she is the most extraverted introverted type. Since she is seen to like to be at the parties the Office holds. She is sensing due to being realistic, not very good at picking up one's feelings, and looks at the "here and now." She's a feeler, she doesn't share her opinions very openly unless frustrated enough to do so and is also afraid to hurt one's feelings. She's a P due to being easily bored with work, showing as to start a small business for a while with Micheal and is creative due to her art. Her second personality type leaning to ESFP.

Ryan Howard-ENTP leaning towards ESTP
Andy Benard-ESFP leaning towards ESTP
Angela Martin-ISTJ leaning towards INTJ.
Kelly Kapoor-ENTP leaning towards ESFP.
Oscar Martinez-ISTJ leaning towards INTJ.
Darryl Philbin-ISTJ leaning towards ESTJ.
Erin Hannon- ESFJ leaning towards ESFP.
Toby Flenderson-INFJ leaning towards ISFJ.
Kevin Malone-ESFP leaning towards ISFP.
Phyllis Lapin-ISFP leaning towards ISTP.
Stanely Huson-ISTP leaning towards INTP.
Meredith Palmer-ESTP leaning towards ESFP.
Creed Bratton-INTP leaning towards INTJ.
Roy Anderson-ISTP leaning towards ISFP.
Jo Bennett-INTJ leaning towards INTP.
Nellie Bertram- ISFJ leaning towards ESFJ.
Robert California-INTJ leaning towards ISTJ.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Michael-is ENFP to the teeth. If he was an ESFP he would be more realistic about things. Also notice that when he is angry its kinda cute. That is apparently something associated with ENFP's or maybe its just NFP's in general idk. If he were to be an ESFP his anger would be taken alot more seriously.

Dwight-is a duty fulfiller therefore ISTJ and he is also affected by Schizoid personality disorder

Jim-I suspect ENTP but he is suppose to represent coolness and normalcy in a very comical/strange environment. Also that whole looking at the camera when something funny happens is literally how the ENTP's react to their environment because they find random stuff funny. Also ENTP's are the king of trolls so that explains his desire to troll Dwight constantly

Pam-INFP

Ryan-idk

Andy-Believe it or not Andy is an ENTJ. After he returned from anger management he appeared alot more soft and they ruined his character completely.

Angela-Yup healthy ISTJ

Kelly-ESFJ emotional,sociable,appears popular. She is a people person.

Oscar-ISTP because he (more than anybody) constantly questions Michael Scott's ability to be a manager and he understands systems that he would like to change. (for example how he understood the company and he had a desire to change it) He is stubborn and he wants things done his way.

Darryl-He is hard to type for me.

Erin-Hard to type for me

Toby-Obviously an INTP

Kevin-Hard to type because he is very odd.

Phyllis-ISFX

Stanley-ISTP

Meredith-ESTP

Creed-ESTP

Roy-ISTP

Jo-definitely ESTJ

Nellie-I really cannot tell ..but she is an extrovert

Robert California-INTJ

Jan-ENTJ she is both cold and calculating..very organized too

Karen-Only INFJ on the show and she is an INFJ in real life too. Her real name is Rashida Jones and she plays Anne(an INFJ) on Parks and Recreation :b

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jim ISTP.

Pranks (Common for ISTPs) Sports, Can find some social situations awkward. Has trouble communicating feelings. (It's his theme of the show) Everybody likes Jim. (Common for ISTPs) Lazy around the house. Goes with the flow. Down to earth. The most practical in the office. (except when it comes to emotional matters) Gets "stuck in a rut" aka his so called dead end job.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Toby-Obviously an INTP
I wasn't aware that completely false things could also be obviously true. This is so incredibly, completely wrong that I, a lurker who just happened to stumble upon this thread, felt compelled to actually go through the effort to register for an account just to correct it. An effort which resulted in trouble verifying my email so that I had to create a new email account just to do it. That's how badly I needed to correct it.

As an INTP, I am frankly offended at being even slightly compared to Toby. Not merely because Toby is a boring, creepy loser, but because the idea that he is an INTP spits in the face of all things rational. The guy works in HUMAN RESOURCES. That is the last job I would ever expect an INTP to hold. Hmm... A job that entirely involves sympathetically listening to and resolving people's personal problems and emotional issues, enforcing both ethical and bureaucratic rules, most of which are totally irrational and every INTP in the world would break (we don't give a shit about rules), and dealing with inane details and paperwork all day. Somehow I'm not seeing INTP here. But you know what type that job is absolutely perfect for? ISFJ. Also Known as the type Toby "obviously" is.

Indeed, Toby reminds me of every single ISFJ male I have ever met in my life, and I have met several. There is one in particular I know who he bears a striking resemblance to in many ways, even subtle ways like body language and mannerisms and they even both almost became Catholic priests. (Another great job for an INTP, right? SMH.) Toby is incredibly boring, dull and uncreative, detail-oriented, conformist, sympathetic, emotional, soft, submissive, conservative, religious, hard-working, organized, duty-bound, routinized, orderly, conscientious, and a stickler for the rules. In other words, he's the ultimate SJ, particularly ISFJ. In fact the main purpose his character fulfills on the show is to be the SJ source of conflict to Michael's NP freewheeling and unorthodox nature, and that's why Michael hates him: He restrains him. He's the anchor chaining him down, enforcing the rules, preventing him from doing whatever he wants and freely exercising his creativity. I'm sorry, but if you honestly think Toby is an INTP, you clearly have no clue what an INTP is and missed the point of the show entirely. If Toby was actually an INTP, he and Michael would get along much better and Toby would simply be a totally different character. As it stands, the only way Toby could possibly be more different from an INTP is if he was an ESFJ. Just complete fail.

·
Banned
235 Posts
The only characters on this show I could possibly see being INTPs are Creed (one of the extremely eccentric ones) or Jim (one of the more "normal" ones). Jim is more likely ISTP though. However, both are laid back, apathetic, clever, reserved, spontaneous, lazy rulebreakers with senses of humor who at the very least have far more in common with actual INTPs than Toby does, or at least the ones with legit Pnesses. (I'm convinced that any INTP who considers himself a "serious" or planful person is a mistyped J. I for one started writing this stuff completely spontaneously for no reason and am doing it just for the hell of it, and I will be surprised if I am still on this board tomorrow cause I'll have moved on.) Anyway, here's my types for most of the characters. It amazes me how many some of you called N types. This isn't a show with a lot of N characters, but it seems around this board everyone in the world is an INxx or at least xNxx.

Michael: ENFP. Yeah yeah I know what I just said. I did used to think ESFP, but I think he's too imaginative, eccentric, and unrealistic. I just can't see anybody but an NP type saying and doing some of the crazy things he said and did. Not the brightest or most typical ENFP maybe, but he is quite clever in his own way. The E, F and P should all be quite self-explanatory.

Dwight - ESTJ or ISTJ. Not sure between those two. Sometimes he acts like the most ESTJ ESTJ there is, like in that drug episode. And he is a great salesman, more of an extroverted thing usually. But he was also terrified of public speaking and is generally content to be an "assistant" or "deputy," as long as he gets to work for some kind of authority. But god, the STJ is so, so so strong in this one that it's ridiculous that anyone could see anything else. I think there was one episode where he literally got on his knees for Michael. He has an unhealthy respect for authority and a major duty fetish (Heh, duty fetish), and he despises Jim's P ways and falls for his P pranks. Ambivert he may be, but I can't think of a better example of either STJ type.

Jim - ISTP. Pranks, sports, chill, lazy, strong-usually-silent-type. Screams it. Some of his more clever and witty pranks seem like the work of an NP, but hey, ISTPs are known for being great craftsmen.

Pam - ISFP. She's a literal artist for Christ's sake. A lot like Jim, but more, well, feelery. Pretty clear cut ISFP.

Stanley - ISTP also, one who's too old for this shit. Crosswords, lazy, "did I stutter?," FLORIDA STANLEY, playa cheating on multiple women, etc.

Ryan - xNTx is all I can say for certain. The dude's a clear cut NT, but the other two dimensions it's harder to say. I do think he leans solidly toward the J side, and probably E as well. His time in corporate seemed extremely ENTJ.
, so that would be my best guess. But at various times he has seemed like all 4 NT types really. The whole "wuphf" thing seemed pretty ENTP for instance, though I guess an ENTJ could do it as well.

Kelly - ESFP. 'Nuff said. Where J comes from I have no idea. She is a stereotype of every ESFP ever.

Jan - Actual ESFJ. Where ENTJ came from above, I have no idea. See Dinner Party episode. Holy shit I know that ESFJ in real life.

Andy - ESxP, seems to lean more F most of the time, but he definitely has serious anger issues and some Daddy issues too either way.

Toby - ISFJ, explained above

Phyllis - Hmm, probably also ISFJ.

Angela - ISTJ. Definitely. There's a reason she and Dwight are so alike.

Oscar - INTJ. One who unfortunately got stuck in an ISTJ accounting job, and his general INTJ attitude got amplified as a result. That whole China episode made the N obvious if it wasn't already by that point.

Creed - I'm going legit INTP. Old, batshit crazy INTP, but INTP.

Meredith - ESTP. Slutty hedonism at its finest.

Darryl - Probably ISTP, gets along well with Jim, seems rather reserved and laid back, started out in the warehouse. Maybe ESTP, one of a different sort than Meredith though.

Kevin - I want to say ISFP. One with a big heart, but no brain.

Erin - ISFP and sort of like a female Kevin in a way.

That's about everyone I guess. Not 100% certain on all of it, but it certainly seems fairly consistent with 9 seasons of these characters' behavior in my view.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jim is definitely not a sensing type

As for Ryan, i'd go with P mostly because it's widely known about his commitment issues but also because he's very flexible he has the entrepreneur brain so i guess either INTP or ENTP could go well with him. Though i do see how people can imagine him as an ENTJ because of the time when he became that big shot businessman or whatever but he blew that up because he got caught cheating, he didn't play by the rules which again makes me think P. Also i don't see the Ni in him.

oh and Gabe! xSTJ maybe???

·
Registered
476 Posts
I love the Office. I've watched it twice all the way through XD

I view the characters as being these types:

Michael Scott: ESFP
Dwight Schrute: ESTJ
Jim Halpert: INTP
Pam Beesly: ISFP
Ryan Howard: ESFJ
Andy Benard: ESFP
Angela Martin: ISTJ
Kelly Kapoor: ESFP
Oscar Martinez-INTJ
Darryl Philbin-INTP
Erin Hannon: ESFJ
Toby Flenderson-INFJ
Kevin Malone-ESFP
Phyllis Lapin-ISFJ
Stanley Huson-ISTP
Meredith Palmer-ESTP
Creed Bratton-INTP
Roy Anderson-ISFP
Jan Levenson-Gould-ENTJ
Jo Bennett-INTJ
Nellie Bertram- ESFJ
Robert California-INTJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the Office. I've watched it twice all the way through XD

I view the characters as being these types:

Michael Scott: ESFP
Dwight Schrute: ESTJ
Jim Halpert: INTP
Pam Beesly: ISFP
Ryan Howard: ESFJ
Andy Benard: ESFP
Angela Martin: ISTJ
Kelly Kapoor: ESFP
Oscar Martinez-INTJ
Darryl Philbin-INTP
Erin Hannon: ESFJ
Toby Flenderson-INFJ
Kevin Malone-ESFP
Phyllis Lapin-ISFJ
Stanley Huson-ISTP
Meredith Palmer-ESTP
Creed Bratton-INTP
Roy Anderson-ISFP
Jan Levenson-Gould-ENTJ
Jo Bennett-INTJ
Nellie Bertram- ESFJ
Robert California-INTJ
Just making a list, I need arguments. I've watched them all the way through, 2 times, some seasons 3 times some episodes 4 times.

I have problems with Jim as INTP, Creed INTP, Roy ISFP, want an argument for Oscar INTJ, Darryl INTP? (more ESTP), Toby INFJ... maybe? Want arguments for all of them, but at least those I want arguments for. INTP for Jim? Really?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just making a list, I need arguments. I've watched them all the way through, 2 times, some seasons 3 times some episodes 4 times.

I have problems with Jim as INTP, Creed INTP, Roy ISFP, want an argument for Oscar INTJ, Darryl, not even kind of INTP (more ESTP), Toby INFJ... maybe? Want arguments for all of them, but at least those I want arguments for. INTP for Jim? Really?
God, I'm not doing all of that.
I will say, though, that Jim is not an INFP. INFP's are (generally) very sensitive people who feel everything deeply and take things personally. Jim is a thinker. He is not usually bothered by people's comments about him unless he has lied/done something wrong/etc.
He tends to stay rational and objective, even humorous, in tense or awkward situations, unlike the feelers in the office, who let their emotions run away with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
God, I'm not doing all of that.
I will say, though, that Jim is not an INFP. INFP's are (generally) very sensitive people who feel everything deeply and take things personally. Jim is a thinker. He is not usually bothered by people's comments about him unless he has lied/done something wrong/etc.
He tends to stay rational and objective, even humorous, in tense or awkward situations, unlike the feelers in the office, who let their emotions run away with them.
So we both seem to be under the impression that he is an introverted rational, I can agree with that. But the iNtuitive dominate part? Like Stanley, Jim is often looking for the best way to figured out a problem, "What's the most efficient way to get something done." (but not when it comes to repressed feeling, as that causes anxiety.) iNtuitive types often over think, everything.

Also, sports, caring about it, being about and being good at them.

ISTP seems like the best fit for him.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry for necroposting but this topic is really interesting. I've watched The Office fully over 10 times. Alone, with my family, with my friends.

Michael Scott is DEFINITELY ESFP. I AM Michael Scott, but an introverted version. I'd do and say everything Michael Scott does if I was an E. That's why I care so much for his personality.

I'm not sure if Pam is ISFP. She's a very rational person, always talking Michael down from his crazy, emotional ideas and moods. I'm not sure which part of MB personality type is responsible for being rational and grounded, but Pam is maybe more an INFP? She seems content with her current situation while dreaming of a better future (the house with the porch), but she's also a very emotional, sweet and introverted person.

And I don't think Phyllis is ISFP either. She doesn't seem to care much about other people's feelings. She's definitely introverted but can be very b!tchy and judgemental.

I'd say Gabe is an ISFP. He's a little shy, withdrawn, but very good at sensing people's emotions and situations. He's also very emotional and irrational (see: post-Erin break up). He cares greatly to those he is close to, but can be totally apathetic towards others (see: his conversation with Dwight when Dwight was in Florida for pitching a promotion). He was a bit oblivious to his problems with Erin (like when selecting a movie), but I think Erin is a total ISFP so that could've created some huge communication issues. Erin is introverted, sweet, emotional and lives in the "now" (see: when she moved to Florida spontaneously to improve her current situation without thinking about the future).

On that note, I have no idea what Andy is. His character was written quite badly. His personality changed completely after the anger management, and he turned back into an evil little b!tch after Nellie took his job. He also seems completely oblivious towards other people's feelings, but at other times he's emotional as hell. It's like he has a personality disorder.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Dwight Schrute
Personality Type: ESTJ
Why: Dwight is extraverted, he shares his opinions openly and likes to be the leader.
ISTJ - An introvert can share their opinions openly when they want to or when they feel like they absolutely have to. Since Dwight cares intensely about rules and authority, he feels like he has to say something. But he doesn't seek out social interactions. He'd be happy to be left by himself all day.

Jim Halpert
Personality Type: INFP
Why: Many argue that Jim is Extraverted due to him always having a entertained audience by playing a running gag by pranking clueless Dwight Schrute. Alas, I propose him to be Introverted. Jim is quiet, soft-spoken, private, and at times awkward by not properly expressing his feelings. (Popular example would be telling his undying love for Pam and waiting 4 years) He's intutive by going with his gut to choose his decisons, such as buying a house and going for his dream job. He's able to see peoples intentions and motives while others seem not to. (He even saved Dwight from getting fired and getting Michael to open his eyes to see people using him.) He's a feeler due to be a softy, and not always sharing his frustrations due to hurting one's feelings. He chooses things by how he feels about them and practically cried when Michael left with Holly. He even gives good advice to those in need. And last, he's a P, by putting things off and pranking Dwight instead. He also is spontanious and gets bored easily (such as working at a paper company) he also is shown to be a messy person when roommates with Daryl. INFPs are dreamers, as Jim evidently is.
Sorry, but no way in hell. This only proves that Jim has emotions, and Thinkers do. It's only in dramatic moments that Jim steps up and gives people deep, caring advice, but it's clearly out of his comfort zone and he only shares things when he feels like he absolutely has to. Best guess is ISTP (But idk any irl, so I'm not positive), but I/ENTP is possible.

Holly - INFP, Michael - ENFP - that's why they're so similar. I think Michael's an N because of the way his mind jumps around from joke to joke. Lots of Ne. He always has ideas.
Ryan - ENTJ
Jan, Dwight, Angela - ISTJ
Phyllis - ISFJ
Kelly - ESFX (In what universe is she an NT??)
Toby - IXXP (Not INTP. I know no one wants to claim him, but I'm pretty sure of these letters at least.)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Toby's an ISFJ from what I've seen of the show. The explanation on page 1, while a little harsh and opinionated, seems accurate.

Reactions: Type Down

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would say Michael is ENFP. I could see him being ESFP too though.
Jim is either ISFP or INFP. Pam is either INFJ or ISFJ.

Just because Pam is an artist doesn't make her SP. She seems like a J-type... even her art is J-like.
Yes, exactly. She's not SP.

But I don't think Michael is ENFP. Correct me if I'm wrong but ~N is for being content about the now if you have good plans for the future, isn't it? Michael completely lives in the now, proposing to girls on their fourth date because he doesn't want to wait (although he grows up a bit while Holly is in Nashua). I'm curious to see why you think he's more ~N than ~S?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts