Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have really enjoyed virtually hanging out in personality cafe for the past few weeks since I discovered it, BUT... there is just one small thing that keeps cropping up here the irks me. That would be the tendency people have to get in a real life dispute with somebody of a certain type, then drag their problems into that type's forum and demand an explanation for this person's behavior.

Darlings, they can't say. It very well might not be something related to type at all. It could quite possibly be that you are simply fighting. Every type does it. And just because you happened to get in a fight with someone who happens to be a particular type doesn't mean that any other person who happens to be the same type magically knows what's going on in their head. This is the internet. We don't know what's happening in your real life :-/

Of course, occasionally, there can be insights provided. But most of the time the situations posed are alternatively either too vague or too personal for anyone to offer accurate insights. And because you found one person of a certain type to behave a certain way, doesn't mean all people of that type are equally as annoying or unintelligent. "What's up with you people?" is an unfair question to ask of any type. Am I right?

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Why are you bringing your problems with this forum on to the forum! WHY!!!

Also, just because it pisses you off and you might not do it. Doesn't mean it will stop. So deal with it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't confuse this as my being offended or angry at it. It's simply an illogical course of action for someone to take. These people are only hurting themselves by placing blame where blame isn't due.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Don't confuse this as my being offended or angry at it. It's simply an illogical course of action for someone to take. These people are only hurting themselves by placing blame where blame isn't due.
It really isn't that illogical. And to be honest I haven't see people throw the little temper tantrums you seem to be talking about. I have seen people ask questions based on things that have happened to them, but not much else.

Also, even if it is illogical, it's even more illogical to think that they will listen to you. Or even care. Stop trying to control things.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It really isn't that illogical. And to be honest I haven't see people throw the little temper tantrums you seem to be talking about. I have seen people ask questions based on things that have happened to them, but not much else.

Also, even if it is illogical, it's even more illogical to think that they will listen to you. Or even care. Stop trying to control things.
:dry:
A: Never said they were temper tantrums. Just people looking for answers where they aren't going to get any.
B: They don't have to listen to me. I'm putting forth a theory. They can keep doing whatever they want. You are missing the point, which is the underlying concept - is it possible people might unify and amalgamate the types to the point individual situations and the ability to objectively assess them would fade from a Myer-Briggs-aware society? Do we assume that people of the same type have more in common than they do?
C: Only a delusional person would believe that voicing an opinion on a forum gives you any control. I am not delusional, therefore in voicing my opinion on a forum, I am not trying to assert control.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
:dry:
A: Never said they were temper tantrums. Just people looking for answers where they aren't going to get any.
B: They don't have to listen to me. I'm putting forth a theory. They can keep doing whatever they want. You are missing the point, which is the underlying concept - is it possible people might unify and amalgamate the types to the point individual situations and the ability to objectively assess them would fade from a Myer-Briggs-aware society? Do we assume that people of the same type have more in common than they do?
C: Only a delusional person would believe that voicing an opinion on a forum gives you any control. I am not delusional, therefore in voicing my opinion on a forum, I am not trying to assert control.
Okay, well. Your theory is rather pointless regardless.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have really enjoyed virtually hanging out in personality cafe for the past few weeks since I discovered it, BUT... there is just one small thing that keeps cropping up here the irks me. That would be the tendency people have to get in a real life dispute with somebody of a certain type, then drag their problems into that type's forum and demand an explanation for this person's behavior.

Darlings, they can't say. It very well might not be something related to type at all. It could quite possibly be that you are simply fighting. Every type does it. And just because you happened to get in a fight with someone who happens to be a particular type doesn't mean that any other person who happens to be the same type magically knows what's going on in their head. This is the internet. We don't know what's happening in your real life :-/

Of course, occasionally, there can be insights provided. But most of the time the situations posed are alternatively either too vague or too personal for anyone to offer accurate insights. And because you found one person of a certain type to behave a certain way, doesn't mean all people of that type are equally as annoying or unintelligent. "What's up with you people?" is an unfair question to ask of any type. Am I right?

Generally, I agree with you...I made a thread a while back about how I know that I've developed a bad tendency to think all people of a type are alike. Even though it's something that I know is not true, it's something I have to fight to avoid doing, because categorizing is so comforting to me. And I've gotten so much out of the MBTI that it's easy to get carried away.

However, as you mentioned, I don't necessarily think that coming on here and asking people of different types is a bad thing. That's because as you said, insights are provided...insights that a person may have not even thought of had they not proposed the situation or asked for advice. It helps a person to open their mind to the different ways people operate. It gives them something to try out in a situation to see how it goes. And I've noticed that it means a lot more to hear this from a real person than to read it in a book talking about types in general.

I think the key thing is how someone goes into their posting and what they do with the advice they're given. Like you said, they shouldn't go into the forum thinking that all of the responders will think exactly like the person in their situation. And they shouldn't assume that everyone of the same type will act or respond in the same way.

But I think I've gotten some great insights from people on here when mentioning examples from people in my life, and I hope that I've given out a lot as well. Like I said, it just helps to hear a real person's different perspective on the matter. You have to be careful not to take it too seriously and understand that nobody online understands your situation exactly...but I still think there's a lot you can get out of it.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
I wasn't ever taking anything out on you guys. You freaked out cause I was asking sensitive questions. So I proceeded to defend myself. That pissed you off. If it hadn't you wouldn't continue to start more conflict over nothing. Which is odd because ISTP's don't like conflict. That's it.

This is a place to talk about these things. I don't understand why your freaking out.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts

Excellent, excellent post! The more we get away from the WWYD format, the better the discussions become.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Love the OP, yes I agree. Rhyming is fun. People become too reliant on MBTI to explain their social problems/anxieties or 'patterns' they apparently see in other types.

Edit because I just thought up of this to put in ; I have no problems with people doing this to a certain degree, as long as it isn't too ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
Love the OP, yes I agree. People become too reliant on MBTI to explain their social problems/anxieties or 'patterns' they apparently see in other types.
I don't think that's the case. I mean I guess some might but, I think it's fun to theorize. Even if your theory is wrong. I just like discussing possibilities, about personality that is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No................... I'm not. I'm simply expressing my opinion. You just don't like me, so you're acting like a child and calling names. So, go have a pitty party. Also, once agin you are trolling!
You're very defensive :-/ no one here has said anything half a accusatory as you are taking it.

And rousse: social problems are relative to the social norms. In the grand scheme of things, taking into account all people, arguments like you witnessed are against the social norms, yes. But among the ENTx types, it's not abnormal at all. We're very thick-skinned, don't take much personally (well at least... I don't, lol), and don't take the slightest offense to arguments. So between two ENTx's, what you have witnessed isn't a social problem at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts