Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love online forums. They're full of some truly wonderful and knowledgeable people and I learn a lot from those people every day. Usually.

On the other hand, there are some people on forums who, by their lack of ability to pick up on context clues, make me think I'm much less awkward than I've always thought I was. Which I suppose is a sunny-side aspect about it, sure.

But in all honesty, there is NOTHING that gets on my nerves more so than someone who claims they are trying to help the person asking the question when it is painfully obvious to me and everyone else that they haven't even taken the time to thoroughly read the question. Like, COME ON! Go waste someone else's time with your phony-good-person CRAP.

It's like, do you remember word problems in grade school? Or any concept-oriented studying throughout college? Without the context, you're toast. Some of these people are middle-aged adults, and it makes me wonder how in the hell they got this far in life. Really, how is that possible?

Rant over. Holy s***, I'm steaming out the ears...

Thanks for being good listeners, and by that I mean reading thoroughly.

Craig

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I finally have a few minutes to give an example.

So, let's say someone posts a thread about a new medication for depression they're considering trying. They explain in detail what their potential concerns are, what about it may work well for them with so-and-so conditions or other medications, their specific depression symptoms, etc... And they ask, "What are your experiences with this medication? Were there immediately noticeable side-effects, good or bad? Was there a period of adjustment after which the negative side-effects seemed to become more controllable?"

And then, someone else replies, "I didn't like it." And that's it.

Something to that extent. That sort of context, where it is clearly implied that there are deeper concerns than just a "did it work, did it not work?"

In addition to showing that the poster is ignorant of the context, that kind of reply seems very insensitive to me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Let me be the devil's advocate and say those people are afraid that nobody likes a know it all. Better if there's two sides to every story. Jokes are 50%true and this is funmaking.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda annoying, but it's not one of the things that annoy me the most about the forum. If I make a topic (especially one asking for help/suggestions), any response at all can be useful, even if it doesn't carefully address what I wrote. Obviously it would be much *more* helpful if the people actually took the time to read carefully. But I'd rather people just gave a short reply if that's all they have time/ interest for, rather than not reply at all.

The thing that annoys me most on personality forums:
-repetitious threads ("Am I INFJ or INFP?")
-threads that ask for basic information that you can find just by googling ("what functions do INFJs use?")
-threads whose logical premise is really shaky ("is there a correlation between MBTI and size of left pinky finger in centimeters?")

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
In your example, that type of reply strikes me as more lazy than anything else. May not necessarily be that the person was purposefully being insensitive. But I get it. Poor reading comprehension and taking things out of context and then the person being critical is what really gets on my nerves, personally.

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda annoying, but it's not one of the things that annoy me the most about the forum. If I make a topic (especially one asking for help/suggestions), any response at all can be useful, even if it doesn't carefully address what I wrote. Obviously it would be much *more* helpful if the people actually took the time to read carefully. But I'd rather people just gave a short reply if that's all they have time/ interest for, rather than not reply at all.

-threads that ask for basic information that you can find just by googling ("what functions do INFJs use?")
-threads whose logical premise is really shaky ("is there a correlation between MBTI and size of left pinky finger in centimeters?")
Pray tell, IS there a correlation between MBTI and size of left pinky finger in centimeters, lol???

Reactions: Songs unsung

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Pray tell, IS there a correlation between MBTI and size of left pinky finger in centimeters, lol???
In case it's not obvious, I think "no." lol. But then again I think that about almost every "is there a correlation between MBTI and _____" threads so maybe I'm just biased...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I don't know, this very well could be just a personal thing, rather than an INFJ thing... I'm beginning to suspect that this may actually be a result of me getting angry because of my lifelong struggle with efficiency - Since we INFJs are supposedly terrible with Te. In my case, at least, I've always wanted to be efficient at solving problems and that's just not how my brain works... But, in my angry Te-lacking mind, if you reply and don't offer anything useful, you're just wasting your own and everyone else's time. Judgmental, sure, but it's true. For me.

Those are good ones! But it's important to know that not everyone knows what we know, and vice-versa. Google searches bring up different results for different people as a result of their own search histories. The cognitive functions of the INFJ is an incredibly simple example with a definite answer, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one. Superstitious stuff like the pinky thing I don't have a problem with, because regardless what you believe about the nature of the world, whether it's from a religious or a scientific end, there will always be things we can't explain logically. Quantum mechanics, for example, shows that a particle can be in two places at once, and that a particle can instantly teleport from one location to another without any directional movement or time requirement. Such things defy what we as a species thought was possible or logical (traditionally).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Superstitious stuff like the pinky thing I don't have a problem with, because regardless what you believe about the nature of the world, whether it's from a religious or a scientific end, there will always be things we can't explain logically. Quantum mechanics, for example, shows that a particle can be in two places at once, and that a particle can instantly teleport from one location to another without any directional movement or time requirement. Such things defy what we as a species thought was possible or logical (traditionally).
A very good point and a very Ni answer :) I've had this same train of thought too, but I guess my Ti takes over and still gets annoyed at seemingly-illogical things...I suppose I have no problem with seemingly unconnected things and wondering if they're connected, but certain trends start to pop up like "is there a connection between MBTI and something random" and it just starts to feel like people aren't really thinking. Like, hardly ever do you see speculation as to why they would be connected. Obviously you don't have to know why to explore something scientifically, but since we're not exploring it scientifically, you could at least try for a "why"....

Yeah, that does sound like an Te obsession with efficiency. Perhaps Ti as well-- I can't see Ti-users taking too kindly to empty words. I guess for me, I feel confident in my ability to extract plenty of meaning from even the smallest of replies, so brevity doesn't bother me (and I something get impatient reading long posts, lol). And its possible my meaning-extraction is off-base if people don't explain themselves fully (I know its crazy to think that INFJs are sometimes wrong, but....:wink:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A very good point and a very Ni answer :) I've had this same train of thought too, but I guess my Ti takes over and still gets annoyed at seemingly-illogical things...I suppose I have no problem with seemingly unconnected things and wondering if they're connected, but certain trends start to pop up like "is there a connection between MBTI and something random" and it just starts to feel like people aren't really thinking. Like, hardly ever do you see speculation as to why they would be connected. Obviously you don't have to know why to explore something scientifically, but since we're not exploring it scientifically, you could at least try for a "why"....
I hear you there! The thing is, without those silly people asking seemingly silly questions, no onecould ask "why."

By the way, I was trapped in Ti mode for a couple years and just recently managed to re-engage my Fe and balance myself out again. I hesitate to call it a Ni-Ti loop because throughout that time I had uncharacteristically few "aha" moments. Like nothing was sinking in and I was just thinking myself to death. Being overly critical and cynical and jaded all the time is really exhausting...

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
By the way, I was trapped in Ti mode for a couple years and just recently managed to re-engage my Fe and balance myself out again. I hesitate to call it a Ni-Ti loop because throughout that time I had uncharacteristically few "aha" moments. Like nothing was sinking in and I was just thinking myself to death. Being overly critical and cynical and jaded all the time is really exhausting...
I relate to that. I don't think I've ever done it for a significant length of time, but sometimes when considering a certain issue, I get stuck in pure Ti mode and forget to step back and see the bigger picture (i.e. use Ni).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I relate to that. I don't think I've ever done it for a significant length of time, but sometimes when considering a certain issue, I get stuck in pure Ti mode and forget to step back and see the bigger picture (i.e. use Ni).
On second thought, I guess it was an Ni-Ti loop. Being SO focused on the bigger picture for so long that you lose track of everyone and everything that matters in life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts