Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In various threads recently we've talked about INFJs having different sides to themselves, and I posited that while most people have two or three faces that they interact with, we have several which is why we often feel misunderstood.

My question is, do you have a particular "other side" that you express more often than the others?

I have a distinct ENFP side, which I tend to express when I go through extraverted periods, and I'm wondering if other INFJs are the same, or whether it is because I am quite 50/50 on the introversion/extraversion, and judging/perceiving scale. Since the ENFP function order is Ne, Fi, Te, Si, the exact opposite of the INFJ's pattern (Ni, Fe, Ti, Se), using the functions that are not in the INFJ code, this seems to make sense to me. My intuition is dominant, then my feeling, then my thinking then my sensing. When I snap out of Ni, I tend to go straight to Ne as a way of perceiving the world, rather than to Se. When I use Se I get a natural high, but similarly I get a natural high of a different kind - more a reminiscing, nostalgic high - from using Si. When I'm not interacting in the world using my fluffy Fe, reined back by my independantly critical Ti, I believe I am interacting using my very down-to-earth and realistic Te, reined back by my fluffy "everyone is a unique and special snowflake" Fi.

My husband has confused me for years as he seems to fit ISFJ descriptions but there is no way that Si can be his dominant function - his memory is atrocious, he is tone deaf, he has no interest in remembering and honouring birthdays and although he is full of ideas of how people should and ought to behave in their roles and he loves to be of service to his loved ones and busts a gut to make them happy, he has no real interest in extending that to the outside world so I doubt his Fe dominance as well. I'm starting to think he is an ISFP who has been brought up to believe that he can't function properly in society being so emotional and sensitive and "flaky" so he interacts with the outside world using an SJ side ( I think ISTJ). His self-esteem seems to be wrapped up in "doing his duty", but it stresses him out doing it. His true happiness comes when he's on his own out in nature or carving or wrapped up in his photography.

Does anyone else have an "other side" that relates to another MBTI type? I am talking about when totally sober.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Most definatley. I've tried to show it on here, as a matter of fact.

If I interact with others long enough, Ni can be hidden, as you have said.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I guess when extraverting I can become more ENFJ-like. They are our closest cousins. Probably most distant personality type would be a Te-dominant type. I can sort of relate to Si at least in how it is familiar to Ni, but having dominant Te is difficult to imagine. ISFJs to me feel more past oriented, they appear to have less emotions and kind of a more grounded personality. While ISFPs feel to me as if slightly removed into the future moment all the time, they display more feelings and appear more optimistic. ISFJ to me has "heavy" feel and ISFP has "light" feel. I think this is difference between Si and Se.

According to socionics here is our functional breakdown. Just as I suspected Te and Si are INFJ's least utilized functions:
Intuitive Ethical Introtim - Wikisocion

Ne is called our "ignoring" function:

"A person has very little use of this element, as it is the rival image of the base function, representing an antithetical approach to the same domain. It lies in the subconscious as a persistent annoyance to the individual. Therefore, he or she tries to ignore it.
A person limits the expression of this element in public (in favor of the base function), but sometimes uses it extensively in private, and can call upon it when necessary. For example, an SEI usually defaults to his base function (Si) and shies from activities that are highly physical or cause conflict, but if inevitable confrontation arises, he is able to use his and become fiercely coercive and quarrelsome for short periods of time.
The extreme avoidance of this function can make it appear weak at times. However, when engaged it does not cause the same kind of psychological stress as a weak function, instead creating a kind of boredom or malaise."

And indeed sometimes when I am in this ENFP mode using Ne I also feel bored more often.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If I don't use my Ni I come off as a complete retarded, noting that my most common personalities when in doubt are ENFP, INTP, INFP.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yeah, I can come off as ENFP...I belive I established that in another thread.:proud:

I have a hard INFJ core, with a sunny ENFP face. I do like people a lot, and so when I am with ones I really like I go like that. However I also find people anoying and tiresome, so I retreat back to my private domain after a time. I'm silly and spontaniuse, but I am also very disaplined and seriouse.

I have a darker TJ side too, I think. I seemed to move between INTJ (maybe) and ENFP, with both sides struggling against each other, yet also complimenting. I seem to level out as INFJ, with moments of the other two cutting in, or running into each other.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have a few different sides to myself but I often am unsure which ones I need to use and which ones come out...

it often just feels right or matches with what or how I think things should be I guess.

mainly, I have a couple of sides, but typically my world perspective changes first, so seemingly my whol universe shifts into another world while I find myself reacting to it differently...

I get into this strange universe where I feel super connected, thus making me quiet and fearful.
I get into another world of depression in the sense that I depress my world so far into my head I feel "right" all the time and am pretty much full of rage, even though I can come off as calm during this time, I am prone to loud bursts of anger and imense projection of hurtful feelings.

I get into another mindset when I merge minds with another and almost bring them into my world. rather than feeling scarred of my enviornment I feel safe because I have a friend inside with me.
this happened in my art class and also on a recent field trip.
during these times I feel the most at peace as my feelings are acknowledged and reciprocated, I feel comfortable enough to laugh constantly and still feel energized, it is almost like a deep and powerful soul laugh comes to break through the fake laugh that happens so often with me.

my favorite mindset is the last one for I feel as if thunder is coming from within me outward and into the universe... some kinds of people are not affected by it but it definitly makes me feel really good and I can tell it makes others comfortable too. these are moments when my inner joy is shown to all and I am really appreciated for my best qualitites.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts