Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all get upset and lose our tempers. Something I've noticed about myself, though, is that I won't get visibly irritated for days or even weeks on end. I stay pretty calm and collected and I fix whatever's doing the irritating (obnoxious small child, pinched nerve in my neck...). Life goes on.

And then some small irrelevent thing that shouldn't cause a problem rears its ugly head and does. Like usually I can handle my mom being obssessive or controlling or whatnot, or my sister tackling me to the ground, or whatever. But something happens and makes this little thing tip the scales.

(usually I'm very good about "anger management". i do martial arts, which is better than therapy anyway... and if i'm feeling like bitching i'll go write in a stor or something)

I guess my question is, do you guys tend to cram feelings (especially negative ones, but positive ones too) into a little box in a corner of your mind, and then they pop out?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Fuse? What's a fuse?

If someone well and truly irritates me, it's getting settled right there and then..... unless they have a clear height and weight advantage over me..... then I'll let it go lol. Bottling up emotions can hurt you physically when you've done it long enough or lead to you snapping and going bat shit insane.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Fuse? What's a fuse?

If someone well and truly irritates me, it's getting settled right there and then..... unless they have a clear height and weight advantage over me..... then I'll let it go lol. Bottling up emotions can hurt you physically when you've done it long enough or lead to you snapping and going bat shit insane.
Meh. But if it's not stressful the surprised faces when you blow up make it extremely entertaining. Something will be the last straw and then the people learn to leave me alone. I still get a kick out of remembering how surprised my roommate was. It makes for a quick recovery and it's healthy to vent.

Reactions: Hypaspist

·
Banned
163 Posts
I don't have much of a temper. I usually ruminate about things that piss me off, than go on the internet and try and find solutions to them. Once I'm satisfied with my research, I listen to music that relaxes me, and than I'm back to normal.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I control my temper very well, but when I need to vent, guitars usually wind up in the repair shop
I don't resort to physical violence, never have.
If something or someone bothers me, I hold it all in until I can get near a very loud guitar amp.
Then I play very loud, very proud and very fast.
The Stooges or MC5 usually.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Nope. I deal with things as they come. If I do feel something I can easily deal with it. I get annoyed quite often. lol

·
Registered
666 Posts
Fuse? What's a fuse?

Some of us don't have an overwhelming desire to share our thoughts or feelings with those we don't get along with. Bottling up is not the same as strategic concealment.

I get a little bit irritated all the time, but pure, unbridled anger or rage? I can't recall the last time that's happened. The closest thing was when my older cousin overheard and argument with my dad, and decided he was going to tell me later that he agreed with what i was saying but didn't like how i said it.

...Yeah. He never got involved with my father and I's private matters again. And honestly? That wasn't so much a loss of control so much as a calculated decision to show emotion so that he wouldn't get involved again. Rather manipulative, in hindsight, but it worked.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
We all get upset and lose our tempers. Something I've noticed about myself, though, is that I won't get visibly irritated for days or even weeks on end. I stay pretty calm and collected and I fix whatever's doing the irritating (obnoxious small child, pinched nerve in my neck...). Life goes on.

And then some small irrelevent thing that shouldn't cause a problem rears its ugly head and does. Like usually I can handle my mom being obssessive or controlling or whatnot, or my sister tackling me to the ground, or whatever. But something happens and makes this little thing tip the scales.

(usually I'm very good about "anger management". i do martial arts, which is better than therapy anyway... and if i'm feeling like bitching i'll go write in a stor or something)

I guess my question is, do you guys tend to cram feelings (especially negative ones, but positive ones too) into a little box in a corner of your mind, and then they pop out?
someones was just telling me that this is a Ennaegram type 9 quality. Do you know if 9 is one of your tritype? It could just be that the one thing broke the camels back.

uggh i hate it when kayness beats me to the punch

Reactions: LotusBlossom

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I've tried to control my tendency to do this... as it usually makes for healthier interpersonal relationships to release your frustration when applicable rather than store it all up and explode. Especially when your SO is a feeler. An exploding ISTP is probably a feeler's worst nightmare. Generally, we lack tact. I tend to say things that ensure maximum emotional/mental destruction of the other person when I explode. Bad news bears.

I can muster more tact when I respond to a single action by saying "I don't like when you do that." Rather than waiting for the 10th time to let them know.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Mendi the ISFJ no my tritype (I think) is 7w8 4w5 8w7 although I'm thinking that that last one should be a 9w1...

EDIT: ok, 1w9...

Reactions: Mendi the ISFJ

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I lose my temper very rarely, about four times, and I let it out immediately. I am not angry at people but at their behavior, so if they would piss me off later, that would be a different situation.

·
Registered
715 Posts
i can't remember going into ragemode with people i like for ages. i just tell whenever someone does something i don't like.

but i really have a hard time controlling my anger with strangers or collegues invading my space in some way or ... with things not working the way i want them to.

the latter usually leads to throwing things and screaming. my friends and loves are used to it, just silently leave the room, let me rage for 10 minutes and then come back and mock me for it :p

the former is harder. i avoid crowds. if i can't avoid it i leave as soon as possible and do my best to make my punching bag bleed and cry in agony (stupid thing never does. hmm.. that's a gap in the market!).
in situations i can't leave i close my eyes, take a deep breath, clench my teeth and try to tell them as calm as possible to shut up/step back/leave me/... and beat the shit out of the punching bag as soon as i'm home.
edit: listening to deathmetal also helps calm down.

Reactions: JamieBond

·
Registered
547 Posts
I am not a typical ISTP parent I guess, because I'm not totally calm all the time. I give my kids 1 try on the listening front, and if they don't stop doing whatever it is that's pissing me off I can control myself just long enough to say "Mom is about to freak out. This is your last warning."

Usually this is enough but if things don't respond immediately I flip out like a spider monkey. It's usually over with pretty quick though.

I think if I had only my daughter I would be a lot more relaxed. Its the 2 boys that make me want to beat something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts