Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a US Marine currently serving as the Platoon Sergeant for an Infantry Platoon in Afghanistan. I'm also an ENFP. You do the math. I've brought unimaginable pain upon myself in my lifetime it seems. Yet here I am. I'm only 24 years old and I'm the most experienced man in my platoon with one lonely, inexperienced officer outranking me. I have 30 Marines looking up to me for everything including orders, guidance, respect, love, and laughter. Every choice I've made has led me to this point and I wouldn't change a thing.

My whole life until very recently I had the hardest time in the world getting people to understand me for who I was. What I never realized was that I didn't truley understand who I was. I put off the thought of college and had always been very pro military being a military brat. I wanted to be noble and join the few, the proud. I joined the Marine Corps Infantry in the midst of two wars. That's about the best way to test a man's worth that I can think of.

My first deployment was the worst mainly due to the shock. I was in Iraq so fast it made my head spin. Then it began... Many people think they have an idea of combat. Being shot at. Blown up. We even had a suicide bomber blow our battalions morale to hell with half a dozen men. Yeah, those all happened. War has more aspects though. What about running out of water? Then trading the last of my cigarettes for water with local Iraqis. Yes, smoking saved my life (not the only time either). How would you like having one 10 minute call home every 2 weeks? So then I get busted for using the phone on Christmas Eve to call my fiancee. And spend Christmas Day stirring burning shit (Jarhead anyone?). And none of it matters because I came home to find she cheated on me. And took all my deployment savings. Yes, those were dark days indeed but, what I learned the hard way has shown me what I really value and what character truley is.
Six years later I have less than one month of what will be my fourth and final deployment. Then I ran upon a personality test and was very excited at the concept. I took several to make sure mine was accurate and to get the most details on myself. That was a long week. It was like everything that I had previously experienced was an equation and learning who I am was hitting the equals sign. Now everything makes sense. I'm finally seeing clear.

I've come to the realization that the Marine Corps isn't for me but it's been an incredible experience while it lasted. Looking back it helps explain why I wasn't the model Lance Corporal most of the time. Or why my unorthodox leadership style is surprisingly effective. To any personality type out there that feels like they can't go on any further, I know otherwise.

Semper Fidelis,
Sgt. Bender

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Well that was an interesting story. I can see how an enfp would be unorthodox yet effective. (they'd never see it coming, lol)

Can I ask what your views are on Americans being in Iraq and Afghanistan?

If you are leaving the Marine Corps, I think the experience you have gained would allow you to achieve something really great.

Reactions: BENDhERover

·
Registered
979 Posts
That's really cool, though I could never, ever see myself going into the armed forces (I don't follow orders too well, and I'm pretty lazy) I really admire you for doing so.

I'm sure you've heard this many, many times, but really, thank you for everything you do! :happy:

·
Banned
43 Posts
That's intense man. I've always wanted to be a marine... (noble thing, like you said, the challenge, the pride)

I think you'll find that you're head and shoulders above everyone else in the civilian world in terms of maturity, and you'll have instant respect from any respectable people you meet. You definitely have my respect. I hope your life brings you happiness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my vew on the US being in the war has slowly adapted through time and experience. Right now it's rather sad as I watch millions of tax payer dollars squandered, absolutely wasted, all around me. Do I think we should be over here to begin with? Yes. I think the most balanced answer would be similar to the first Gulf War. I dont know where this whole "you attacked our nation unprovoked so now we'll spend a decade and billions of dollars to teach you a lesson" came from. My guess is all the politics mixed with capitalism.... If it were me I'd say go in for two weeks MAX. Hit their military/terrorist network hard and fast. Break them down and then break down shop. You would send them the message, spend minimal money, and have far less casualties then a drawn out war that's looking for something else to gain.

These people don't want democracy. They enjoy their way of life. It's like trying to unite all the Native American tribes uder one chief with the evil white man telling them to do it. Not happening. In addition to the concept that we can modernize them overnight. These countries are still in the dark ages. Sure they might have some basic electricity and modern weapons. That doesn't mean they can suddenly produce exports or a service oriented industry like we can. Its high time we realize these 3rd world countries need to develop on their own.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I couldn't do it, I just couldn't. I couldn't put myself in a position that contributed to that kind of environment. I honestly don't know how or why anyone would want to. I don't think war is completely unnecessary, but I will never be directly involved in one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah... i understand where your coming from bro, i got out about 4 years ago.... i felt like i had to become someone completely different in order to fit in there... we're not human;)

·
Banned
385 Posts
I don't know what else to say, but thank you for your service. If an ENFP can become a marine and Platoon Sergeant, we really can do anything! You are a huge inspiration and you have my respect. I hope you are able to take what you've learned and experienced and find a career that brings you more fulfillment and peace.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts