Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
[dis]illusioned
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@cir I saw your enneagram thread XD.

So, shooters are not really my thing, but I've recently gotten sucked into this game. Still getting my sea legs, but it's quickly becoming an addiction for me. Feel free to discuss tips, strategies, and air grievances regarding annoying aspects of the game.

Annoyances: For me, the most annoying thing is when you're on a team that isn't aware of how important teamwork is and just kinda throw themselves at the objective blasting away. The worst is when people don't pay attention to the team composition, so you end up with 4 snipers and no Medics or things like heavies to actually tank for the medics. Now, I'm actually not a terribly good shot, but I dislike kamikaze runs because in the long run, it destroys your team's momentum.

Along those lines, when teams are disorganized and attacks are uncoordinated.

This may sound like I'm bitching, playing the blame-game (yeah, maybe a little bit) and sour grapes and to be perfectly honest, my skill in the game is pretty poor atm (having only put in 10 hours or so), but the annoying sessions are when you are on a team that doesn't take, like, 2 seconds to look around them to assess their fighting strength... Medic + Heavy isn't invincible, from what I've seen, yet, I'll have heavies that just charge right in and as a medic (often times, I force myself to play medic simply because no one else will), I'm like... uh... dude, wait for backup; don't go in there like Rambo.

I don't mind losing. I'm often on the losing team (which is probably my fault, I'm still learning the game), but I'd rather lose a good game with good teamwork (i.e., against a genuinely superior opponent) than a sloppy win by dumb luck. Maybe that's just me.

What I like about the game:

It teaches you to adapt to the situation at hand. I find a poor "strategy" is to rely solely on one class and think you can do everything (except possibly medic... it's much harder I notice when people won't be a medic and just continue sacrificing themselves as squishy scouts). I realize how hard it is to become proficient at everything, but I try to fill in gaps and know my limitations (i.e., I totally suck at sniping, so I don't even bother... I actually find the Scout easier to manage because I've always aimed by strafing more so than the mouse itself).

All good strategy games (yeah, I actually consider it a strategy game even more so than a shooter) strive for some sort of balance (i.e., in chess, pawns are "weak" but the sheer number of them, plus their position to acquire prime real estate makes up for that). Basically, rock-paper-scissors, so there is no boomstick.

Classes: I don't really have a "main" at the moment. It depends. So far, I've put the most into Medic, Scout, Demoman, and Engineer. I find that's a good balance of offense and defense/support depending on what the team needs.

The Engineer is probably the most gratifying to play (along with the medic) because those teleports can make such a huge difference, and I love it when my team is advancing and resupplying at a well-placed forward dispenser. The best is when you have a fellow engineer and you can watch each others' backs, speed up construction and just help your team out pushing forward into enemy territory. I LOVE the fact that you can move buildings. it creates versatility and helps shake things up, "ambushing" sneaky Scouts attempting to muck up your operation by having them run head-on into a level 3 sentry all by themselves.

The Medic I enjoy as well, for similar reasons. It helps you maintain positions, especially if your team is well-balanced with chunkies to heal. Bonus if there's a second medic to watch your back.

I love the Scout. It's probably the most entertaining to play. So far, I'm still getting used to the speed (turning down my mouse DPI helped a bunch) and I usually am 1:1 on kills:death, so not very good (personal best is 3:1), but my enjoyment is the sheer mobility of the class and the ability to play mind games on the opponent. It's fun harassing, but also speeding objective capturing, etc. I always liked squishy characters that have to rely on speed to survive and that high-risk, high-reward style. I die (a LOT), but it keeps things interesting. Getting better at surviving (and stealing healthpacks in enemy territory while I'm at it XD), but that's a question of practice.

They say Scouts are often "solo" classes, but I only half agree. Teamwork, as I've said is so effing important, and I've found that circling my team and basically giving the enemy another thing to worry about is really helpful. Unless your opponent is crazy skilled, then 2 against one is almost always better (i.e., this is why even the Medic should learn to shoot... I've actually gotten a few good kills as a Medic (and even solo killed an enemy Scout XD).

The Demoman I find is the most versatile. I've been playing a lot of payload today, and it seems useful in both situations... typically, when I'm feeling more offensive, I go for the Scout, but if I'm noticing a lot of enemy Engineers, I switch to Demo, because the Scout is basically neutered I find, by sentries. So again, for me, it's a good balance.

Classes I don't like: Heavy - I don't mind playing heavy if it's absolutely necessary (i.e., everybody wants to be a scout or sniper) and the situation calls for it, but meh, it's kind boring.

Soldier - Huh, i should probably give this one a chance at some point. It's actually a very good class and I find it sorta merges the scout mobility (rocket jumping) with the heavy's firepower. I actually seem to die the most from soldiers.

Sniper - I can only snipe in Fallout games. I am perfectly ok admitting that I suck with this class and have a better feel for other ones.

Classes I have yet to try:

Spy - I'll probably try it eventually. It's annoying when your team doesn't spy-check even when Engie's machines are blowing up left and right.

Pyro - I tried it for like 2 seconds. It's actually a very good general class, I find, especially in throwing a wrecking ball in a "turtle" formation. I'm still trying to fight it using the scout, which is tricky, since you kinda have to get close with the scattergun, but it's a fine balance avoiding getting roasted.

Game types; I think payload is my favorite game mode atm. It seems like you have to pay for the MVM mode? That's annoying.

Reactions: cir

·
Registered
919 Posts
@cir I saw your enneagram thread XD.

So, shooters are not really my thing, but I've recently gotten sucked into this game. Still getting my sea legs, but it's quickly becoming an addiction for me. Feel free to discuss tips, strategies, and air grievances regarding annoying aspects of the game.
It's an elvish piper! :D

Sorry of my responses will seem shallow. I tried to get into TF2, but I ultimately can't due to the dizziness and nausea that sets in within half an hour. I like watching other people play, but not too long, before the dizziness and nausea sets in. I don't think it's a shooter thing; I just can't handle first person games in general. It's too bad, I like a lot of things about it, like the characters, the extent of the meta-gaming, the angry lady that reminds me of M from James Bond... I just physically can't play it. D: I'm a fan of it though!

Annoyances: For me, the most annoying thing is when you're on a team that isn't aware of how important teamwork is and just kinda throw themselves at the objective blasting away. The worst is when people don't pay attention to the team composition, so you end up with 4 snipers and no Medics or things like heavies to actually tank for the medics. Now, I'm actually not a terribly good shot, but I dislike kamikaze runs because in the long run, it destroys your team's momentum.

Along those lines, when teams are disorganized and attacks are uncoordinated.

This may sound like I'm bitching, playing the blame-game (yeah, maybe a little bit) and sour grapes and to be perfectly honest, my skill in the game is pretty poor atm (having only put in 10 hours or so), but the annoying sessions are when you are on a team that doesn't take, like, 2 seconds to look around them to assess their fighting strength... Medic + Heavy isn't invincible, from what I've seen, yet, I'll have heavies that just charge right in and as a medic (often times, I force myself to play medic simply because no one else will), I'm like... uh... dude, wait for backup; don't go in there like Rambo.

I don't mind losing. I'm often on the losing team (which is probably my fault, I'm still learning the game), but I'd rather lose a good game with good teamwork (i.e., against a genuinely superior opponent) than a sloppy win by dumb luck. Maybe that's just me.
Nah it's ok, bitching about something is par for the course. You actually listed real reasons for why you don't like something, whereas other people just go "Playing <class or specific tactics> is cheap!"

If you play long enough, you might be able to form or join a team and practice the team work. TF2 is an ex's favorite game, and they got scheduled days of practicing before the real game time. It even sounds like real work D: but that kind of cohesive teamworkness do require people with a similar mindset to cooperate.

Or, if you get pissed enough, you can always play an offensive medic! :D

What I like about the game:

It teaches you to adapt to the situation at hand. I find a poor "strategy" is to rely solely on one class and think you can do everything (except possibly medic... it's much harder I notice when people won't be a medic and just continue sacrificing themselves as squishy scouts). I realize how hard it is to become proficient at everything, but I try to fill in gaps and know my limitations (i.e., I totally suck at sniping, so I don't even bother... I actually find the Scout easier to manage because I've always aimed by strafing more so than the mouse itself).

All good strategy games (yeah, I actually consider it a strategy game even more so than a shooter) strive for some sort of balance (i.e., in chess, pawns are "weak" but the sheer number of them, plus their position to acquire prime real estate makes up for that). Basically, rock-paper-scissors, so there is no boomstick.
A lot of the TF2 gameplay is in the metagaming. I'm still amazed and impressed at the kind of balance this game has achieved. It's funny because, according to my friend and the internet, in more serious games, the medic is generally the unofficial team leader.

Classes: I don't really have a "main" at the moment. It depends. So far, I've put the most into Medic, Scout, Demoman, and Engineer. I find that's a good balance of offense and defense/support depending on what the team needs.

The Engineer is probably the most gratifying to play (along with the medic) because those teleports can make such a huge difference, and I love it when my team is advancing and resupplying at a well-placed forward dispenser. The best is when you have a fellow engineer and you can watch each others' backs, speed up construction and just help your team out pushing forward into enemy territory. I LOVE the fact that you can move buildings. it creates versatility and helps shake things up, "ambushing" sneaky Scouts attempting to muck up your operation by having them run head-on into a level 3 sentry all by themselves.
I've tried playing the engineer! I like it, except during their phase of invulnerability when they're building something, and there isn't a teammate around to fight off the other team before I'm done building. I love the sentry gun and the baby sentry gun.

The Medic I enjoy as well, for similar reasons. It helps you maintain positions, especially if your team is well-balanced with chunkies to heal. Bonus if there's a second medic to watch your back.
I was told the medic is a beginner-friendly class, and that the biggest skill I had to learn was dodging. It plays so differently from all of the other classes that gets to run around and shoot things, and being a medic just often means being a large walking target. Running away is so contrary to my normal instincts that obviously I died a lot. D:<

I love the Scout. It's probably the most entertaining to play. So far, I'm still getting used to the speed (turning down my mouse DPI helped a bunch) and I usually am 1:1 on kills:death, so not very good (personal best is 3:1), but my enjoyment is the sheer mobility of the class and the ability to play mind games on the opponent. It's fun harassing, but also speeding objective capturing, etc. I always liked squishy characters that have to rely on speed to survive and that high-risk, high-reward style. I die (a LOT), but it keeps things interesting. Getting better at surviving (and stealing healthpacks in enemy territory while I'm at it XD), but that's a question of practice.

They say Scouts are often "solo" classes, but I only half agree. Teamwork, as I've said is so effing important, and I've found that circling my team and basically giving the enemy another thing to worry about is really helpful. Unless your opponent is crazy skilled, then 2 against one is almost always better (i.e., this is why even the Medic should learn to shoot... I've actually gotten a few good kills as a Medic (and even solo killed an enemy Scout XD).
The Scout is just a great character. I wasn't able to get a good feel for it, and that might be because this is my computer mouse (for carpal tunnel reasons).

The Demoman I find is the most versatile. I've been playing a lot of payload today, and it seems useful in both situations... typically, when I'm feeling more offensive, I go for the Scout, but if I'm noticing a lot of enemy Engineers, I switch to Demo, because the Scout is basically neutered I find, by sentries. So again, for me, it's a good balance.
The demoman was the class I wanted to try out next! It seems very versatile (which, to me means good survivability plus the ability to camp or be mobile). I just wish I can make it past that feeling where my face gets paralyzed whenever I watch anything in first person.

Classes I don't like: Heavy - I don't mind playing heavy if it's absolutely necessary (i.e., everybody wants to be a scout or sniper) and the situation calls for it, but meh, it's kind boring.
A few times, I was the douchebag heavy that more or less camped at a choking point close to the other team's spawn point. :D I can see what you mean by it being kind of boring. I just naturally gravitate towards tanky classes and other defensive playstyles.

Soldier - Huh, i should probably give this one a chance at some point. It's actually a very good class and I find it sorta merges the scout mobility (rocket jumping) with the heavy's firepower. I actually seem to die the most from soldiers.

Sniper - I can only snipe in Fallout games. I am perfectly ok admitting that I suck with this class and have a better feel for other ones.
If it makes you feel any better, at least the sniper has a jar of piss, and it's especially gratifying if it lands on a spy. Other than that, I can totally see where you're coming from as far as the sniper is concerned. They don't move often enough to inspire the feeling of safety.

Classes I have yet to try:

Spy - I'll probably try it eventually. It's annoying when your team doesn't spy-check even when Engie's machines are blowing up left and right.

Pyro - I tried it for like 2 seconds. It's actually a very good general class, I find, especially in throwing a wrecking ball in a "turtle" formation. I'm still trying to fight it using the scout, which is tricky, since you kinda have to get close with the scattergun, but it's a fine balance avoiding getting roasted.
I have a theory that nines make unusually good spies. They're so used to being invisible in some way that there's a game that managed to weaponize it. I also like how much attention is paid to the details, like the medic and the scout being faster than the spy. It's also priceless whenever you run into a spy that's disguised as you! :D

If you ever make it as a Pyro, you may end up as the designated spy check. Medic + Pyro is also a common coupling.

How about them hats? :D

Game types; I think payload is my favorite game mode atm. It seems like you have to pay for the MVM mode? That's annoying.
I was more of a capture the flag and control point kind of person. Although, I don't think I've tried all of the other games either... I was trying to get my basics in. If you play around Halloween, you may even be a wizard! I wanted to be a wizard. ._.

Even if I can't play TF2, I have much respect for it.

·
Warden-Commander
24,113 Posts
I used to play it a lot but then I got phished and lost all the stuff I had bought. I hadn't even heard of the term before it happened so I didn't take a screencap of it or anything and I can't get it back...

Reactions: hal0hal0

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I'm actually so surprised to read that you enjoy playing scout. That's actually one of the classes whose purpose I never understood. They seem so useless to me.

In my experience, when I play heavy, I get MVP practically every game. And understandably so. Heavy is very easy to play, does a shitton of damage, and is hard to kill. ESPECIALLY if you're doing payload and can get constant heals from the mine cart.

If you have a medic topping up your hp, you can't die from headshots. And you can stand in front of the cart so that you cannot get backstabbed by a spy.

It just always seemed to me that what the scout severely lacks in damage, doesn't make up for anywhere else. Not even in mobility.

And demo to me always seemed to run out of ammo way too quickly. Can be good if you are super strategic-minded and in the right place at the right time, but you are super dependent on engineers or ammo packs for constant re-loading.

Spy is hard as shit to play, but there are many mind-blowingly good spies on YouTube who get MVP like every damn game. I have no idea how they do it--they make it look so effortless and easy. And then when I try it, I just get owned so fast :laughing:

Engineer is probably my second favourite after heavy. I love playing engineer. Especially when you get MVP due to your sentries just killing everyone in sight. I played payload once where my team was defending, and it was the snow map (map is called Barnblitz), and my sentries were in that shed near the other team's respawn point, and they couldn't even exit their base without insta-dying.

It was ridiculous. Any spy who tried to do anything to me got flamed by the pyro who just camped my position.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Oh, yes, this game! I've lost interest at this point, but when I reflect on it, a lot of happy memories come back to me.

I remember maining Sniper, then Scout, the Demoman, then Pyro, then Scout again. I remember doing very well against all sorts of players as those classes. But never have I once taken the game seriously. Never have I played to win. Why? The whole game can be summed up in one word: silly. It's goofy and cartoony violence at its finest. It can be taken seriously, but in my eyes, it's a game to be played purely for the enjoyment of it, not for the glory of victory and HAHAHA I BEAT YOU GIT GUD. Hundreds of matches won, hundreds of matches lost, and nothing but a smile on my face through it all. No annoyances, no salt, no toxicity, no nothing. A game like this comes once in a lifetime. Even though I have moved on, I loved this game.

Also, I ship Sniper x Scout.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
I love playing Demo. Nothing is as satisfying as the loud "Ding!" and 'stultum has defended the control point' message that happens if I put stickies all over the control point and explode them from halfway accross the map as some asshat is trying to capture it. I'm not very experienced though.

Sometimes I also play soldier or heavy. I can't really get the hang of Medic, it seems fun but I'm just terrible at it. I don't have the right kind of paranoia to play Engie or Sniper. I'm not good enough at dodging to play Scout, and I'm too impatient to play Spy. And there are always plenty of Pyro's, so I haven't tried him yet...

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I don't like shooters because they are too hectic for me. I can't keep track of my surroundings if things are going too fast.
I tried TF2 years ago but could never get into it.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
I don't like shooters because they are too hectic for me. I can't keep track of my surroundings if things are going too fast.
I absolutely HATE shooters. But I really like(d) TF2.

I think the class system adds something to the genre that is almost never there: strategy. And diversity of playstyle.

For example, the majority of the classes are not even shooters--demo, engineer, medic, pyro, . . . And every class having some sort of non-gun weapon. And all have a melee weapon.

Anyway :)

·
[dis]illusioned
3,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry of my responses will seem shallow. I tried to get into TF2, but I ultimately can't due to the dizziness and nausea that sets in within half an hour. I like watching other people play, but not too long, before the dizziness and nausea sets in. I don't think it's a shooter thing; I just can't handle first person games in general. It's too bad, I like a lot of things about it, like the characters, the extent of the meta-gaming, the angry lady that reminds me of M from James Bond... I just physically can't play it. D: I'm a fan of it though!

Nah it's ok, bitching about something is par for the course. You actually listed real reasons for why you don't like something, whereas other people just go "Playing <class or specific tactics> is cheap!"

If you play long enough, you might be able to form or join a team and practice the team work. TF2 is an ex's favorite game, and they got scheduled days of practicing before the real game time. It even sounds like real work D: but that kind of cohesive teamworkness do require people with a similar mindset to cooperate.

Or, if you get pissed enough, you can always play an offensive medic! :D

A lot of the TF2 gameplay is in the metagaming. I'm still amazed and impressed at the kind of balance this game has achieved. It's funny because, according to my friend and the internet, in more serious games, the medic is generally the unofficial team leader.

I've tried playing the engineer! I like it, except during their phase of invulnerability when they're building something, and there isn't a teammate around to fight off the other team before I'm done building. I love the sentry gun and the baby sentry gun.

I was told the medic is a beginner-friendly class, and that the biggest skill I had to learn was dodging. It plays so differently from all of the other classes that gets to run around and shoot things, and being a medic just often means being a large walking target. Running away is so contrary to my normal instincts that obviously I died a lot. D:<
I'm actually the king of running away XD... at least, knowing when to retreat, regroup and cut my losses. Dying a pointless death (esp. as Medic) isn't worth it and eats up precious time.

Actually though, I'm getting pretty good at killing enemy Spies with the Medic (syringe gun is actually a nice Spy-checker) and I've gotten a few bizarre kills that shouldn't have happened (plenty of Scouts and even a heavy once), probably because people tend to underestimate the Medic as a combatant.

But when I'm cornered... I'll do my best to take you down with me, :D.

It's an elvish piper! :D
Yep, good ol' elvish piper. Rebecca Guay's artwork was always my favorite from MTG, even if I'm fond of the Urza's Destiny artwork (and that whole Hildebrandt brother art style in general). It's a shame they no longer use Guay's artstyle... MTG has definitely moved away from that old school feel (i.e., the Urza block artwork really had that "classic" feel to it). I haven't really been into MTG for a few years, though. It's just hard to keep up.

Even if I can't play TF2, I have much respect for it.
Hm... have you tried messing with the FOV much in first person games? I find most games default waaaaay too narrow for my tastes which can make me rather nauseous (i.e., I think 85-100 is my sweet spot). Regardless, I think that's pretty impressive to play with a trackball mouse.

I think the SFM movies with the whole 1960s international spy thing going on is so funny. It reminds me of The Incredibles. This is pretty hilarious:

I agree Soldier does fit type 1 though. I'm basically a casual gamer. I do tend to fair better with the overarching strategy and support roles, probably because I used to play chess a lot. So team dynamics has often fascinated me.

I'm actually so surprised to read that you enjoy playing scout. That's actually one of the classes whose purpose I never understood. They seem so useless to me.

In my experience, when I play heavy, I get MVP practically every game. And understandably so. Heavy is very easy to play, does a shitton of damage, and is hard to kill. ESPECIALLY if you're doing payload and can get constant heals from the mine cart.
I agree, Scout's situationally useful (i.e., capturing CPs faster), which is why I don't use it much, even if I think, in terms of pure fun, I really enjoy the speed.

Everybody on pub servers seem to love playing Scouts and Snipers (if not necessarily using them effectively), so I often end up on teams with like, 4 of each, no tanks and no medics... so guess what I end up playing as? :p That said, I actually enjoy playing Medic quite a bit, so it's no biggy, even if there's a giant bullseye painted on your back (and head).

I mainly use Demo on payload offensively, because I usually end up with an Engie building a forward base anyways, and scattering the battlefield with stickies while distracting them with the grenade launcher is a great way to lure them into a trap. It's cool how the Demo's weapons can actually combo pretty well with each other.

I actually got the First Do No Harm achievement today, so maybe I'm not totally incompetent (granted, we were basically spawn-camped and very disorganized... I think a lot of people don't realize the payload cart actually heals you... free, indestructible dispenser, anyone?

Oh, yes, this game! I've lost interest at this point, but when I reflect on it, a lot of happy memories come back to me.

I remember maining Sniper, then Scout, the Demoman, then Pyro, then Scout again. I remember doing very well against all sorts of players as those classes. But never have I once taken the game seriously. Never have I played to win. Why? The whole game can be summed up in one word: silly. It's goofy and cartoony violence at its finest. It can be taken seriously, but in my eyes, it's a game to be played purely for the enjoyment of it, not for the glory of victory and HAHAHA I BEAT YOU GIT GUD. Hundreds of matches won, hundreds of matches lost, and nothing but a smile on my face through it all. No annoyances, no salt, no toxicity, no nothing. A game like this comes once in a lifetime. Even though I have moved on, I loved this game.

Also, I ship Sniper x Scout.
I agree that taking winning or losing too serious is not really my thing. I don't mind losing actually. But, it's cool when things click, you find a team that suddenly finds that rhythm and you just... synergize your talents incredibly well. Bonus if the team you're going up against is equally good and it's a neck-to-neck race. As I said, I actually care the most about a good game, where the team watches each others' back. I hate to sound preachy, I mean, it's just a game, of course, but I do enjoy finding say, a fellow Engie that helps me build my buildings, for instance.

Oh, and I read about "friendlies" today and lo and behold, I noticed tucked away in a corner a whole bunch of heavies from both teams just sitting there eating sandwiches; it was pretty hilarious and I let them be.

I love playing Demo. Nothing is as satisfying as the loud "Ding!" and 'stultum has defended the control point' message that happens if I put stickies all over the control point and explode them from halfway accross the map as some asshat is trying to capture it. I'm not very experienced though.

Sometimes I also play soldier or heavy. I can't really get the hang of Medic, it seems fun but I'm just terrible at it. I don't have the right kind of paranoia to play Engie or Sniper. I'm not good enough at dodging to play Scout, and I'm too impatient to play Spy. And there are always plenty of Pyro's, so I haven't tried him yet...
Medic is only as good as the team surrounding it, even if there's a lot of responsibility on your shoulders, because if you don't heal someone quite enough, your whole momentum can fall apart. Knowing how to survive is important... I tend to crouch a lot... I get the impression people don't do that and I kinda think it throws off snipers itching for headshots. I like payload because I've learned to use the cart itself as cover, constantly change up my position, basically, try to be unpredictable so I can continue healing my teammates while at the same time, pushing the objective forward as BLU.

I depends, sometimes, I get a good heavy/pyro that knows what he's doing and knows when to fall back, but I often pair with a heavy that thinks having a pocket medic makes him invincible. Like, if I see an opposing Uber combo coming at me, I know to fall back and let it wear off, but I'm still learning the ropes and communication's spotty. I should just start using my microphone, but for whatever reason, I dislike the sound of my voice.

Eh, it's no biggie. It's still pretty fun, even on the losing end. I like synergies, though, in most games.

Same. TF2 is the only "true" FPS I've really played. Borderlands 2 doesn't count for me, because that's more looting and it's not really a PVP game and L4D2 is more just fun mayhem that I play with friends. I rarely, however, touch PVP until TF2, and much of it is, as @emberfly said, because TF2 actually has legitimate strategies and a rock-paper-scissors approach that makes it sort of like Starcraft (or DOTA games, although I've only ever played modded Starcraft the original.... never LoL).

Reactions: cir

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey, former competitive TF2 player. I played backup roamer (a soldier who specializes in rocket jumping in very quick and killing important players, esp. medic) for a season and main heavy for two seasons, and I know a lot of people who still play, some at a fairly high level now. If anyone is curious, I can answer any questions about comp TF2, the current state, and maybe the future now that Valve has confirmed that TF2 will get competitive matchmaking.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If some of you are having trouble with Scout, I can understand. I also disliked him when I first started playing; his speed really messed with my aim, but over time my aim improved and soon I was killing things in two or three hits. Ultimately, Scout's role is to be an annoyance. "Well shit, this Scout just took a third of my health. I'm going to stop whatever I'm doing and find a health pack while the enemy team captures our control point." He is to distract the enemy from the real threat, and that is more effective than one might think.

That said, Scout's damage is far from lacking, but only if you can aim well. (This is why he's a tough class to play.) His scattergun gives him massive initial burst damage, and after said burst, his mobility allows him to keep the pressure on his target until it's dead. He's an assassin in a sense, flanking around the front lines, killing off weak targets, escaping without a scratch. His priority targets are Demomen, Snipers, and Medics, and his counters are Engineers and Heavies.

Scout is a bit of a noob magnet; most people who play him have no idea how to use him to his full potential. However, nothing is more annoying a good Scout. If you encounter one, expect to find yourself constantly running for health packs. Expect to constantly hear the announcer's voice, alerting you that your control point is being contested. And expect to never hit nor kill him, ever. Good luck to anyone who wants to play Scout.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yep, good ol' elvish piper. Rebecca Guay's artwork was always my favorite from MTG, even if I'm fond of the Urza's Destiny artwork (and that whole Hildebrandt brother art style in general). It's a shame they no longer use Guay's artstyle...
I know, right? D:
MTG has definitely moved away from that old school feel (i.e., the Urza block artwork really had that "classic" feel to it). I haven't really been into MTG for a few years, though. It's just hard to keep up.
Yeah, I understand. They've made a lot of changes in response to its growing popularity. I keep up with it, I don't really actively play it. To be a really good player, I'd actually have to find a test/play group and practice... it sounds like work. I don't really like games to the level where it starts to feel more like work than fun.
I'm actually the king of running away XD... at least, knowing when to retreat, regroup and cut my losses. Dying a pointless death (esp. as Medic) isn't worth it and eats up precious time.

Actually though, I'm getting pretty good at killing enemy Spies with the Medic (syringe gun is actually a nice Spy-checker) and I've gotten a few bizarre kills that shouldn't have happened (plenty of Scouts and even a heavy once), probably because people tend to underestimate the Medic as a combatant.
There are many bad spies. :p

But when I'm cornered... I'll do my best to take you down with me, :D.
The best kind of "taking you down with me" is when my sentry gun avenges my death. I love you too, sentry gun. *pet pet*

Hm... have you tried messing with the FOV much in first person games? I find most games default waaaaay too narrow for my tastes which can make me rather nauseous (i.e., I think 85-100 is my sweet spot). Regardless, I think that's pretty impressive to play with a trackball mouse.
I have! My range is around that too (like 91). In like Skyrim and Dungeon Defenders (in first person mode) too, but it doesn't really make it go away. Like, I think it felt better at first, and then my paralyzed face proves me wrong soon after. That and the trackball mouse... I'm just handicapped. :p

I think the SFM movies with the whole 1960s international spy thing going on is so funny. It reminds me of The Incredibles. This is pretty hilarious:

I agree Soldier does fit type 1 though. I'm basically a casual gamer. I do tend to fair better with the overarching strategy and support roles, probably because I used to play chess a lot. So team dynamics has often fascinated me.
lol but the briefcase leaves a paper trail, Scout! That movie is really well done too! They have enough assets to build an entire movie franchise out of it if they wanted to. I'd watch it. *popcorn*

·
Registered
771 Posts
I didn't know there could be a TF2 thread?!!

I also play TF2, sometimes. I'm not a huge fan but I like the animations and the comics.
Engineer is my most played class, for reasons + Pyro and Demoman.
Spy, Heavy and Medic are the more tricky ones for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.