Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PerChronicler
Edition 5 - Wednesday April 29,2020 - www.personalitycafe.com

Important disclaimer
The opinions and views expressed in The PerChronicler are those of a deranged ENTP editor and members of the community. They may not reflect the views of Personalitycafe itself, or the views of the moderators (who are absolutely not lizard people) or of VerticalScope, or the demanding opinions of the otters (who despite spending so much time in water don't have blubber and rely on fur to keep them warm...dumb otters). It's also not true that you can buy off the editor, probably.
[hr][/hr]
What is The PerChronicler and why was it created?
The PerChronicler is a weekly "newspaper" for the forum...well if you print it, which I'm not suggesting. I was procrastinating doing something I needed to do when I thought, "hmm you know what should exist? Area 51 tours through SpaceX travel agency, playing risk with actual countries, and a newspaper for personality cafe that has member contributions (such as comics, artwork, recipes, opinion pieces, poems, crafts, chest hair submissions, etc) guest articles, A link to a "thread of the week", some basic world news for the INTPS who don't go outside (I got you), polls, member interviews, auditions for a PerC mascot, a "ban of the week" category (which is satire and if you do stupid things to be banned won't be appreciated by the seven people who are going to read this, so the joke would be on you), A member spotlight, any info from PerC that should be passed along, etc." Surprisingly, neither SpaceX, Elon Musk himself, The US Air-force, or any world leaders have responded to my messages...yet, but the PerC mods said that's a pretty good idea so here we are.

You've included the "What is this and why was it created?" post in the last three editions... How long were you planning on doing that?
Until it takes off. Whatever, you're not my real mom. I don't have to listen to you.

How can I submit something?
Do you want to list your top favorite cheeses and you want everyone to know that you think American cheese in single packages is the best tasting, most beautiful option? Or have you read a book you want to recommend, be interviewed, talk about an area or interest or expertise? Are you extremely passionate about the Dancing Plague of 1518? Do you want to publicly ask me for terrible advise? Perfect! Send me a PM with the subject title "Newspaper" and we'll get you on a future edition (all forum rules do still apply). This is as interactive as you want it to be! The sky (and my attention span) are the limit!
[hr][/hr]
Dance challenge
Is the karaoke challenge still open?
Would like to see a dance challenge too sometime. XD
As suggested by @Fennel in the post for the last edition, we would like to invite everyone to post videos of themselves dancing. You're also still welcome to submit entries in the karaoke challenge. Extra points for anyone who combines the two!

Thread of the week
Our thread of the week is also about dancing: https://www.personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/1330041-dancing-parties-clubs.html

For all of you who are too scared or embarrassed to dance in public, this is your chance to practice some moves! And once you've practiced for a while, why not join in the dance challenge? Show off those moves!
[hr][/hr]
Corona giveaways
To help people get through the lockdowns that have been put in place all over the world, many content creators have made some of their content available for free online. We put a small collection together for you. If you know of any other ones, feel free to share them!

Board games
Check out some of the games made available for "Print and Play" to help pass the time during this crisis!
Asmodee has made a collection of games available, among which the gorgeous, creative game of Dixit. They also have 3 free games available for Android or IPhone, 1 of which is also available for computer, in case you don't have a printer at home: https://print-and-play.asmodee.fun/

Portal Games is giving away a standalone case to the award winning Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game: https://portalgames.pl/en/suburbia/
The game combines a board and cards with an online database containing information about the case you're working on.

Another game being given away for free is a simple miniature game called Frostgrave. While having a lot of miniatures and terrain helps, the game is specifically made to be playable with whatever you have lying around the house. So repurpose some books, bottles and cardboard into makeshift buildings, towers and walls, grab some pawns or tokens to represent your warriors and get a dice roller for your phone if you don't have a d20 lying around and start taking that treasure!
https://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2020/03/frostgrave-is-free.html

Video Games
Besides board games, there are also a lot of video games being given away right now. Kotaku has an article that's updated regularly here: https://kotaku.com/games-you-can-play-for-free-while-stuck-at-home-1842429089
We'll list some of the entries here, but be sure to keep your eyes open for more offers!

Our first entry is a big one! Total War: Shogun 2 is available for free on Steam until May 4. If you get it before then, you get to keep the game forever!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/201270/Total_War_SHOGUN_2/

Unrelated to the Corona situation, the Epic Games Store has been releasing one or two free games a week. These have mostly been smaller games, but every once in a while a triple A game is given away as well:
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/free-games

If you're looking for something smaller, check out the games being given away or on sale for only a few bucks at itch.io: https://itch.io/c/757294/games-to-help-you-stay-inside

Does this all seem nice, but do you also long for the simpler gameplay of the games of old? Check out the free games available on Good Old Games: https://www.gog.com/partner/stay_at_home
It has games from 1979 all the way up to 2017, available for free to keep.

Video of the week
To keep in the theme of games, our video of the week explores some common reasons why people enjoy playing games. The video is mostly aimed at video games, but the concepts are applicable for board games too and can probably be applied to most hobbies in general.

So why do you like playing games? Or which of these aesthetics apply to your favourite hobbies? Let us know!
[hr][/hr]
Now some lock down related interviews with viewers like you
@Enigma (estp)
1.) What is your MBTI type?
You know : P

2.) Are you currently under lockdown/quarantine/shelter in place, or whatever your local equivalent is? (If not, do you expect to be soon?)
Been on lockdown since March 12th I think.

3.) How has it changed your life? What are the positives and negatives?
I am drinking more wine working from home

4.) Have you taken up any new hobbies or interests?
I have always been into DYI projects but, I have become addicted to this site https://www.youtube.com/user/livingb...house/featured

So, maybe a new interest is a tiny house

5.) Are you implementing any creative solutions due to being more at home?
Yes. I have remodeled my kitchen and repurposed items in my house. Upgraded some with some time and paint.

6.) Do you have any advice for others in the same situation right now?
Find something that interests you as far as a project. At least, spend the time organizing your home.

7.) How do you keep from boredom?
Projects and organizing aside, from working from home. My new fav youtubers...
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoItOnaDime

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtw...fPddq2gPlgKW1w

https://www.youtube.com/user/macennalee

And of course, as stated above...the tiny house link.

Also, growing flowers or veggies.

Excerpt from the Gnomish Journal
Sometimes, you've got to think about really important stuff. Like cheese. When you're home for so many hours of the day and not visiting grocery stores or going to parties, your thoughts go to the stuff that you're missing out on. French cheese. That's what is seriously lacking. At least, it is for me. Because I'm a fussy gnome. I want something that tastes great and has a creamy texture.

Being alone is hard for an extroverted gnome. I think thoughts that I'd rather not think. And feel feelings that can go away because they aren't pleasant. Unpleasant thoughts are yuck. Come to think of it, unpleasant thoughts are as yuck as... pasteurized processed American cheesefood. Yes, it's called "cheesefood," but I disagree with both assessments. It's not cheese, and it's not food. It's... plastic. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like eating plastic. And that's why people need to stop dropping their plastic bags and plastic bottles in creeks and rivers and the oceans. Because marine animals are eating plastic. And it's not very nutritious for them, either.

But I digress because that's what I do. Back to cheese. French cheese is yum. I can always go for brie or Camembert or anything yummy and French. Oh, and it isn't true that you can't get good cheese in the United States. I walked all of the way through Wisconsin (that is not an exaggeration), and I tasted cheese that was to die for!!! So many varieties of cheese. I was truly in cheese heaven.

Oh, and goatmilk cheese is super yum, as well. Also soft cheese flavored with garlic and herbs. Well, I'll stop here before I melt in little puddles of cheese happiness.

love,
gnome
[hr][/hr]
Ban of the week
The ban of the week goes to TemporalHobbyist, for posting the schematics to build a time machine that was not up to APTC (Association for the Protection of Temporal Chronologicality) code and violated FDA standards and local animal cruelty laws.

Mod of the week
Cherry
This week, the award for mod of the week goes to @Cherry (formerly known as Frankly my Dear) for her efforts to prevent a catastrophic temporal paradox that would have shattered our timeline. She wanted us to remind everyone that trying to built a time machine out of 5 tons of scrap metal, 3 pigeons, a wedge of cheese and a slightly used napkin is not a good idea, nor that anyone should attempt to sleep with their own grandmother, or any other ancestors for that matter, for whatever reason, including but not limited by "for shits and giggles" (looking at you ENTPs).
[hr][/hr]
Book recommendation of the week
This week's book recommendation is The Wasteland by T.S. Elliot.

Just in time for the end of April, the cruelest month, this long-form poem will finally clue you in on what your snobbish friends and I have been quoting all along. Do you think our current time is confusing? Try reading this poem filled with allusions to things you’ve never heard of, and probably never will. You’ll have no idea what’s going on, and contrary to most things in society, that’s just fine with this poem. It has a nice rhythm to it, and no one really gets it anyway. It just seems nice.

Full text with ridiculously extensive hyperlinked commentary, if you want to try and actually understand it, here:The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot as hypertext

Failed polar expedition with a moral of the week
A new column today, probably the most requested in publication name history: failed polar expedition with a moral of the week.

This week's failed polar expedition is the airship Italia, the only airship blessed by the pope to have crashed on the North Pole. What transportation method comes to mind when you think of being the first person to reach the North Pole? Was it an airship? Because I mentioned that in the first sentence? Then you're correct! Though some claimed to have reached it on foot before, the first humans to verifiable reach the north pole did so on an airship. Not this airship though, this one crashed.

After the first successful expedition to fly over the north pole in 1926, the Italian Airship builder and pilot Umberto Nobile had a bit of a falling out with the leader of the expedition, famed arctic explorer Roald Amundsen. Allegedly because of the latter's displeasure about relative flag sizes during the expedition. The next expedition would be captained by Nobile alone.

Constructing a new airship, even larger than the last, and after a brief visit to the pope, as you do, Nobile set off for the north pole a second time. After several tries, a 19-hour flight succeeded in reaching the North Pole, dropping the wooden cross the pope had donated, as well as exclusively Italian flags. No landing was possible due to heavy winds, and the decision was made to return immediately. Nobile would not rest until they were safely back at the base.

Unfortunately, the winds were against them on the way back, and the return journey was expected take at least 40 hours. After 24 hours, ice was forming on the propellers. Eight hours later, the airship was dropping rapidly. Nobile had not slept for three days at this point. Although the exact cause of the crash has never been determined, a series of mistaken commands attributable to Nobile’s severe sleep deprivation have been blamed.

In an ironic twist, Nobile and half the crew survived the crash and subsequent 48 day marooning on an ice sheet, but his rival Amundsen disappeared while attempting to rescue him.

Moral of the story: Don’t drive any vehicle while sleep deprived, unless you want your rival to die.

Further reading:
https://doi.org/10.3402/polar.v35.27105

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Mod of the week
Cherry
This week, the award for mod of the week goes to <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention -->
@<b><a href="https://www.personalitycafe.com/member.php?u=461498" target="_blank">Cherry</a></b>
<!-- END TEMPLATE: dbtech_usertag_mention --> (formerly known as Frankly my Dear) for her efforts to prevent a catastrophic temporal paradox that would have shattered our timeline. She wanted us to remind everyone that trying to built a time machine out of 5 tons of scrap metal, 3 pigeons, a wedge of cheese and a slightly used napkin is not a good idea, nor that anyone should attempt to sleep with their own grandmother, or any other ancestors for that matter, for whatever reason, including but not limited by "for shits and giggles" (looking at you ENTPs).

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
@daleks_exterminate

Dude, did you get the Letter to the Editor I just PMed to you? It didn't save in my Sent items. They're working on the site updates, and things have been going on with PMs and other things, so I assume it's related to that. I went back with my browser, but the field was blank, so I don't have a copy. Did you get it?

Edit: Wait, never mind. Somehow it got switched to "don't save" in my settings. I was screwing with a different setting earlier, so I could have accidentally pressed that too without realizing it. :)

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Where is the lost Critical Thinking and Philosophy subforum?

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I had 1,500 message limit, now it is only 1,000. Cafe Legends are taking the hardest hit. We also lost the sparkles on our names. Warren Buffet says don't buy Bitcoin.
EHHHHHHHH???

Who needs a 1500-message box, except for Veggie?

tbqf I thought it was part of my sanctions. Wouldn't mind a 300 to 500-message box.

·
Registered
28,953 Posts
EHHHHHHHH???

Who needs a 1500-message box, except for Veggie?

tbqf I thought it was part of my sanctions. Wouldn't mind a 300 to 500-message box.
I remember getting confused when my message limit rose.

Also, there appears to be no need for me to reach 30,000 posts as someone else has already done the deed. There is no post rank beyond "Beyond" well that is disappointing. I would request that cafe legend bar now be raised to incentivize the populace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts