Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yep. Another bored and too curious topic from @alittlebear while she's dealing with the sudden freedom that is Summer Break.

I've been thinking about this for a while, actually. What type of person is drawn to certain musicals?

Let me start with the disclaimer that obviously any person of any type can like any musical. There is some individual preference involved, naturally.

But like... Okay, Rent. If you look at the most popularly agreed upon personality types of Rent... They're like, all Fi users. All of them. It would make sense for an Fe person like me not to like Rent as much.
I would argue that Rent is a pretty Fi/Se, maybe a bit Ne. Extroverted Perceiving perhaps.

That's what I mean here. What sort of functions do most the songs give off, what sort of functions are reflected in the ideas of the musical?

Les Miserables - I would really say Si. I loved it because I'm Catholic and I think that Les Mis captures a lot of the core Catholic ideals in a very exciting and somewhat provocative way, but I don't think it's a naturally Ni type thing. I'm not sure about the Feeling preferences for this one, I know @Oswin and I love Les Mis and I think Fe is a really big thing in the story but I think Fi is pretty important as well

Into the Woods - not sure! I get an Fi feeling, but the twisting of fairy tales also seems a little Ni to me. It could be Ne though? I think it's a more intuitive concept, the reality of what happens when fairy tales actually happen, how wishes are truly awry, but the fairy tale aspect could be Si. Hmm.

Next To Normal - I'm not too familiar with it but I saw @justforthespark mention that she was in it, and I would be curious to see her thoughts on this musical as well as some others here

Wicked: eee, I think so many different types really love Wicked so it's hard to say. Elphaba's type is so highly debated that it's hard to know. I've seen one topic/website discussing Wicked MBTI say that the whole play is about "Sensing vs Intuition," but I'm not sure about that. Personally I think the play could be geared towards Ni and Fi, but I can see how Fe would like it and I know a ton of Ne users who love it.

A Very Potter Musical - It's not my favorite thing, but those who are familiar with it might have fun typing it. Extroverted Perceiving probably, some Si, some obvious Ne, and I'm tempted to say Fi but only because my FP friends loved it and I was kind of like "funny... but eh" (Quirrel is my bae in this musical though.)

High School Musical: it's obvious a bunch of ESFx girls like it but...

Other fun musicals I know absolutely nothing about:
- Grease
- Hairspray
- The Sound of Music
- I'm even going to list Frozen, because while it is a Disney movie more than it is a *musical* I would love to hear discussion of who likes it! since obviously quite a few people like and dislike it nowadays.
- Phantom of the Opera (at Oswin's reminding) (also I'll notify @angelcat, not sure if she would be interested but I know she's familiar with quite a few of these musicals)
- also any other musical you can think of, I'm really not the most familiar person with musicals and my music taste is pretty "basic," so by all means please feel free to discuss and add your feelings about any musical I have not already mentioned

I've also been interested in two new (for me) musicals, which sort of spurred the creation of this topic. I was telling my friend about them and she said "those seem like really Ni musicals". I'm not so sure, ha, but I would be interested in any thoughts!

The first is called The Last Five Years and I can see it being Ni. It's actually really heartbreaking, it's a musical that I think is about the relationship between one couple, and the story starts with the boy singing about how excited he is after their first date and the girl singing about how he's neglecting her and why they're getting a divorce. Essentially it goes backwards for her, you see her hating the relationship at the end but you go backwards to see how it started and with him you go forwards to see what went wrong with the relationship. I can see it being Ni because it deals with the fluidity of time, and I think it represents a modern struggle that we have with relationships, but of course I think Si could enjoy it as well.

It's actually been turned recently into a movie (which I haven't seen yet, unfortunately) with Anna Kendrick, here's a trailer if anyone is curious about it (it looks awesome, to be quite plain)

I also think the trailer seems to show that the girl seems like an Fi user, but I don't know... I've only listened to the songs and I think that the heartbreak expressed in these songs is something all types could relate to.)

Then there's this musical called Songs For A New World, and it's... a really unique concept actually, there are all these different songs and none of them fit together, but they're all just moments where the character(s) decided to take a chance or make a change or do something. I find it to be a pretty Se concept.
Here's some songs from that as well, with my type commentary about the songs

I think this is a pretty Se song, and I would probably say it's mostly ESFP. Not being afraid and sort of stepping into life unabashedly seems like a pretty Se thing.
I love this song because it's so easy to relate to relationships between characters, ha. I think it's like The Last Five Years in that it's hard to type a relationship duet song, but it's probably a pretty F song, maybe some Se.
Honestly I listened to this song and went "ISFJ". Of course this is a stereotypical representation of an ISFJ, but I think it's also an endearing one as well. It seems Si in general but also with an FJ touch.

Alright. That's enough OP rambling from me. Please add your thoughts about how you think musicals could be "typed"!

(I'm going to notify @Gray Romantic as well, since I know she's familiar with some of these musicals.)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
@alittlebear I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS THREAD MY WHOLE LIFE.

I think Wicked is a musical about a friendship between an INFP and an ENFJ. (Galinda might be an ESFJ but I've always seen her as an ENFJ. I'm not stubborn on this one though.) And most people I know for whom Wicked really resonates are xNFPs and xNFJs - myself included.

Anything Sondheim is going to have a lot of Fi, and I see a lot of Ne in his music, but many people think he's an ISFP. I don't know - I just know that Into the Woods and Sweeney Todd and pretty much everything he's written feels Fi+Ne.

I want to write more about this and talk about a few of my favorite musicals (Next to Normal, In the Heights, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, probably more I can't think of right now) but I have to study for finals. I'll be back on Sunday, or earlier if I feel like popping in and treating myself to a little MBTI discussion. :)

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
This is an interesting topic; I'll weigh in in a bit. For now I want to add Phantom of the Opera though)

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@justforthespark I'm so happy this topic excites you! I'll look forward to your comments later

I have different feelings/thoughts about Galinda...

On one hand, I think she is very clearly Fe-dom in some ways, especially in the musical. I've used this song

before to show the ideal of an Fe-dom (I think you were on that topic actually), like one of our guilty dreams is to be loved by all people and to have that to sort of be queen at Glinda achieved, and I think this song represents our dream but also some of the obvious problems we run into when trying to reach that dream. It's nice, but it's not worth it when we've lost out friends for it and had to hurt people in the process.

But I actually don't relate to Glinda much beyond this. Growing up I was more of a bully victim than that typical Fe-dom bully, so I relate a lot to Elphaba in that way

I'm not sure about Elphie's type in the musical, but I'm pretty positive of their types in the book.

Galinda is clearly an ESFJ in the book. It's like... amazing, how she's so socially aware of things and works on the little details to secure her place within society. (I don't relate to Glinda at all in the book. She's sort of a terrible person, at least in how she treats others. I was tempted to say Te-dom because of how she uses others, like she's so thoughtless in how she manipulates others to get what she wants, but then again honestly she is just Fe-dom.)

Elphaba in the book I am sure is an INTJ. I think it's clear she uses Ni when she's younger, and her Te/Fi grows more clear over time.

The book I think is remarkable because it's about two types with completely different functions.

I can't comment on the musical, at least not in this post, but I was confident about their book types so there you go ~

I didn't include Sweeney Todd! Ahh. I'm not familiar with that, but I know my ESTJ friend loves it. I can see Fi+Ne for Into the Woods.

Ha, and I added to my OP that you can feel free to discuss great musicals I'm not familiar with :)
@Oswin I added that, thank you!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Phantom of the Opera is my life. Great balls of Parisian fire, I love that musical so much.

I've known a bunch of different types who love it, all for different reasons, but I think it appeals the strongest to Fe. It's about love and forgiveness and self-sacrifice overcoming darkness, about a man who once shown redeeming love, at last comes to understand love itself and ... let it go. It's really tragically beautiful. I also think it's a bit Ni ... because Erik has reduced Christine to a symbol of perfection rather than being able to see her for what she truly is. In essence, it's about a Ni-dom who falls for a Si-dom, so it's a clash of his symbolic music and her sentimental mythologies. Erik's concepts of love, passion, and power, playing out against Christine's belief that he is the angel of music her father promised her he would send after his death.

What else? How about Sweeney Todd? I'm not going to weigh in on Sondheim, but I think that musical is very Fi/Si in its nature -- both its leads use each function and are somewhat trapped by their inability to move on; Sweeney is consumed with anger and revenge, tied down so severely to what happened to him, that he kills everything he loves and winds up empty-handed. And Mrs. Lovett has loved him from the start, so much so that she becomes entangled with him to the point where her relentless affection for him makes her unwary of the danger and ... it's too late. Gosh, I love it. I love the tragedy of it.

I like sad musicals.

How about Moulin Rouge? There's, I think, an Ne/Ni musical ... a struggle between sensual excesses and stimulation (Se) and greater symbolic meaning and the concepts of beauty, truth, and love?

I think The Sound of Music is Si/Ne inclined. Family. Faith. Sameness... until Maria arrives and changes everything, making it so much better than before. Aww.

I'm sure there's more, but I OUGHT to be working right now... *Sigh*

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm not sure I can contribute that much to types of musicals. I haven't thought about it really and I don't really know what to say about that concerning most. But I have to post in a topic concerning musicals!

The Sound of Music (my first love among musicals). I agree with Angelcat, about Si at least. Family and all that. It sounds partly very xSFJ, but then Maria mixes it up. She's probably an intuitive, unless she's an ESFP or something, just doing what comes to her mind any time without really thinking about consequenses, but really I would say more intuitive, maybe Ne. The Captain could possibly be Te and Si.

West Side Story? Another long time favourite of mine.

I also really love Les Miserables and Wicked. Those both are of the musicals that I feel are really complete, because the story is well worked out, the music is wonderful and everything really flows really well together. And there's big emotions.

Mamma Mia, as a more happy musical? I don't know, Fe?

Miss Saigon? Another sad one.

I really love Cats too. It doesn't have much of a story, but the dancing and music is great. I've watched the filmed version (that's not a movie but from a theatre) so many times.

I agree that Moulin Rouge is probably as a whole more Intuition.

I don't know what to say about Phantom. I love the music mostly there too, but not one of my favourites. Though I've only seen the movie version.

Anyone familiar with The Scarlet Pimpernell? I haven't seen it, but I love the music and I've read the book as well (plus what the story is about in the musical). I think they changed some of the songs after the recording I've mainly heard though.

Grease could maybe be a struggle between Fi and Fe or how to balance both of those, with all of the struggle in going with the others or being the way you are.

Hairspray I don't know. I'd like to say both Se and Ne somehow and Fi, so maybe ExFP.

Spring Awakening? Then there's Jekyll&Hyde, A Chorus Line, My Fair Lady, Fame... and many many more.

Edit: Wait! How about Rocky Horror (Picture) Show and Avenue Q? A bit different ones. I haven't seen Avenue Q though, just thought of it after Rocky Horror.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
@alittlebear I was commenting on the musical, not the book. I agree with your typings of the characters for the book.

I think Galinda in the musical is an ENFJ who doesn't yet know how to speak for her own thoughts - she's just become the person other people told her to be. In that way her Fe develops really beautifully through the play. I think in the musical Elphaba is an INFP who looks a lot like an INTJ (as many particularly introverted INFPs do). Either way, if my typings are correct, they use completely different functions and ENFJ/INFP is said to be an ideal pairing.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my goodness you guys are making me realize just how little I know about musicals
@pivot_turn I feel bad but I kind of really dislike most the musicals you're listing? Ha, not to complain, but I just find it interesting. Couldn't stand West Side Story (at all), I hate hate hate The Sound of Music... I feel like such a Debby Downer, but for whatever reason those things just really rubbed me the wrong way. They're obnoxious.

Also, like, even Mama Mia? I haven't watched it and I don't even know what it's about, but I know from the few songs I've heard from it that I can't stand it. Too... happy, obnoxious, something. (I tend to like sadder, darker things, which is actually kind of weird but true.)

I agree about Wicked and Les Mis though. They're kind of flawless. Beautiful pieces

Unfortunately I don't know the other musicals you mentioned, but hopefully someone else does!
@angelcat ha, I don't hate Phantom of the Opera as much - I have it on my iPod - but it's also not one of my favorites. Too... intimate and melodramatic, I guess. I love the closing song - it's perfect and beautiful and makes me so happy - but the Phantom's parts seem waaaaaaay too Fi and SX for me.

But I can see what you're saying about it, and why one would like it. You make very interesting points regarding the musical "typing".

Unfortunately I don't know the other musicals listed :/

Thank you both and everyone who has commented so far! I'm glad that people do have thoughts about this topic.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@alittlebear I was commenting on the musical, not the book. I agree with your typings of the characters for the book.

I think Galinda in the musical is an ENFJ who doesn't yet know how to speak for her own thoughts - she's just become the person other people told her to be. In that way her Fe develops really beautifully through the play. I think in the musical Elphaba is an INFP who looks a lot like an INTJ (as many particularly introverted INFPs do). Either way, if my typings are correct, they use completely different functions and ENFJ/INFP is said to be an ideal pairing.
Yeah, sorry, I realized you were talking about the musical. Don't even know why I threw in that about the book actually, except maybe to just being up what I knew about it

One thing that seemed kinda Ni to me about Elphaba was how she was so certain of her future. The Wizard and I seems pretty Ni, like she's so convinced of what her future will be like, how it will play out... Of course you know more about Ne and I imagine Ne does that as well, but to me her specific vision and her journey to achieve that vision seemed pretty Ni.

But I think you're right about INFP as well. One of my friends who identifies as INFP (and I guess I agree with it) just absolutely loves Wicked, and I have a self-identified ENFP friend (we're actually seeing if she isn't actually ESFJ now, ha, but) who just loves the musical, and relates especially to Elphaba. If you criticized Elphaba in any way she would just freak out in defense of her.

It's honestly just so weird of me to think of Glinda as my type, because while I sorta relate to song things (Thank Goodness, maybe the end of the musical, even sort of her parts in Defying Gravity [my TJ friends especially go way over the top with their individuality and opinions and I'm like "c'mon guys, is that fully necessary, calm down"], What Is This Feeling), I still never really really really related to her?

But of course that isn't a very good reason to say someone isn't your type. I agree that she's definitely an Fe-dom, but other than that... Hmm.

But thank you for your input! I've been wanting to talk about the Wicked types actually, it's nice to get to do that ^^

Reactions: galactic collision

·
Registered
456 Posts
Oh my goodness you guys are making me realize just how little I know about musicals
@<span class="highlight"><i><a href="http://personalitycafe.com/member.php?u=193122" target="_blank">pivot_turn</a></i></span> I feel bad but I kind of really dislike most the musicals you're listing? Ha, not to complain, but I just find it interesting. Couldn't stand West Side Story (at all), I hate hate hate The Sound of Music... I feel like such a Debby Downer, but for whatever reason those things just really rubbed me the wrong way. They're obnoxious.

Also, like, even Mama Mia? I haven't watched it and I don't even know what it's about, but I know from the few songs I've heard from it that I can't stand it. Too... happy, obnoxious, something. (I tend to like sadder, darker things, which is actually kind of weird but true.)

I agree about Wicked and Les Mis though. They're kind of flawless. Beautiful pieces
Lol! I loke both happy and sad ones, maybe a little more the ones that are sort of in between, though I'm really struggling to think of another one like that except Wicked. Les Mis along with that is probably my favourite musical, but it really doesn't have many happy moments, though some funny ones with the Thenardiers.

I've liked ABBA for so long so I can't even not like Mamma Mia. :p But just don't judge it by the movie version and especially by Pierce Brosnan. But it's more of a happy and funny one to be enjoyed for the music and humour and feel-good stuff, so if you always want depth in your musicals this is maybe not the one. Though I think the concept is a bit silly to make a musical of a bunch of songs from a band and just try to fit them into a story. It's not the only one of that kind.

Though I must say I don't like the generally breezy musicals with nothing much in them that much, if they don't make a point of especially good music or dancing or something like that. They're a bit forgettable if nice or okay to see once. I'm thinking of stuff like The Producers and How to succeed in business.... (the latter of which I've only seen a part of). I have to agree that though I like parts of them too, I get a little bored sometimes watching those old movie musicals like with Fred Astaire for example. Though there's often great dancing in them. :)

Oh and talking about ABBA, I really love the ABBA guys' other musical Kristina från Duvemåla (från=from). It's just beautiful, but I don't think many here will be familiar with it as it's not that widespread. I don't think most of it is even translated to English (from Swedish). Here's one song that's from it that's translated:

In this song, the main character Kristina, is doubting God after everything that has happened to her and her family. The musical as a whole is about people empigrating from Sweden to America and their struggles and the love of the main couple.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Oh man, such a fun topic! I'll have to think about my favorites.

On a sidenote, I did want to mention two musicals that an ENTJ likes, 7 Brides for 7 brothers and Phantom of the Opera. We just watched 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, and my husband kept commenting on how together Milly was and how he admired her. It was pretty funny, considering he almost never comments in characters at all.

For Phantom of the Opera, he said the same thing about Christine. He thought she kept a cool head and picked the right guy. Of course, once he looked through her instagram and decided Emmy Rossum was vapid, that crush went away. But it was funny to me to see the criteria an ENTJ used to judge musicals!

·
Registered
SLI, ISTJ, 1w9, 164
2,087 Posts
When movies and music collide it's twice the magic!

My favourites from the already mentioned are Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis and Sweeney Todd (freaking LOVE that one!).

Agree on Mamma Mia and Fe. I like ABBA, but... well. I couldn't really enjoy it. It has kind of a bland story set against happy background. If not for ABBA I wouldn't really watch it.

Moulin Rouge is all Ne extravaganza. Liked it.

I'd like to add Chicago and Dancer In The Dark to the list. Also The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. These two are surely NFP stuff.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
alittlebear, if you've only heard the movie version of POTO with Gerard Butler...I totally understand why you don't like it) I feel like the only reason they cast him was, ironically, for his looks. :rolleyes:
Michael Crawford is better)
But, maybe it's more of a Si thing. I love this musical so much; it was the only thing I listened to as a young teenager, but I think the obsession could strike again at any minute) (I can't be free of it,; I never will!) For the record, my INFP friend was even more into it than I was She literally had her room decorated to look like the Phantom's lair.
As for what I like about it: partly it's the music; I love the glamour and richness that ALW created, and the lyrics are just so beautiful. But I think it is mainly the story, which I think on the whole is Si. I mean, it's the Beauty and the Beast, it's...other fairytales, and obviously the religious symbolism...ugh. And the Angel of Music, the dark stories of the north...gosh and I literally love it too much not to sound like a total fangirl so I'm just going to stop. Anyways, I bet Si/Fe.

I have to run, but I 'll be back with more top-quality comments like the above, don't worry))

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
@Oswin: your INFP friend and I would get along, I think -- I had my room decorated in PotO colors for awhile. AND my dad put in a chandelier over my bed. Now that's fatherly dedication.

Gerard is TERRIBLE. Sexy to look at, but he butchered that score. Actually, everyone except Emmy Rossum butchered it. Everyone who doesn't like it should at least watch the 25th anniversary presentation. Then, if they still dislike it, I rest my case for it. And yes... the symbolism, the religious undercurrent, it's all so beautiful and profound. (Have you read "Phantom" by Susan Kay? It's heartbreakingly tragically beautiful.)

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
@Oswin: your INFP friend and I would get along, I think -- I had my room decorated in PotO colors for awhile. AND my dad put in a chandelier over my bed. Now that's fatherly dedication.

Gerard is TERRIBLE. Sexy to look at, but he butchered that score. Actually, everyone except Emmy Rossum butchered it. Everyone who doesn't like it should at least watch the 25th anniversary presentation. Then, if they still dislike it, I rest my case for it. And yes... the symbolism, the religious undercurrent, it's all so beautiful and profound. (Have you read "Phantom" by Susan Kay? It's heartbreakingly tragically beautiful.)
Yes, I love Susan Kay's Phantom! My copy is so dog-worn. It's the book that forever turned me against killing spiders. I love the 25th anniversary; it has my favorite Raoul (so often Raoul get shorthanded..), favorite Christine, and second-favorite Phantom) I think it's on Netflix now, too.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
The 25th has an awesome cast. You're right, the best Raoul. And Sierra is an amazing Christine. Who's your favorite Phantom? Not counting Michael Crawford, since I've never SEEN him, I think mine is John Cudia (saw him live, and he was amazing), with Ramin and Hugh Panaro competing for second favorite.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
What about My Fair Lady? Fiddler on the Roof? (I assume Fiddler is Si-ish...'Anatevka' breaks my heart every time...it's all about watching the old world disappear, and...well 'without our traditions our lives would be as shaky as a fiddler on the roof!' Maybe more Fe than Fi as well.
(The King and I has a similar theme actually)

I'm sure no one knows it but one of my absolute favorite musicals is the German musical Elisabeth, about the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and her love-affair with Death. I think it's kinda Fi vs Fe...or maybe just Fi. No one has to watch this; just linking in case someone's interested (this is really a pretty, sad song):

Also, here's a link to a song from the French musical of Romeo et Juliette. No MBTI analysis...I mean, it's Romeo and Juliet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts