Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
“The planet does not need more ‘successful people’. The planet desperately needs more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers and lovers of all kinds……. It needs people with moral courage willing to join the struggle to make the world habitable and humane and these qualities have little to do with success as our culture is the set.”
~ Tenzin Gyatso, The 14th Dalai Lama

What do my fellow INFJs feel needs to be done to change our ever increasingly dysfunctional planet? If anyone can, it is us. We are uniquely gifted....think MLK, Ghandi

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I was unaware that these qualities were exclusively INFJ.. I am not disagreeing with what the 14th Dali Lama is conveying (except maybe his definition of success). I only disagree that such character traits would be limited to 1-2% of the population as suggested by the OP.
IMO..His very short and general description is closer to INFP and ISFJ than it is to INFJ.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
We need to become more "Species-Centered". We need to remove barriers that we, as a species, have erected to separate ourselves from each other: religion, racism and nationalism come to mind.
All of these things unite people also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was unaware that these qualities were exclusively INFJ.. I am not disagreeing with what the 14th Dali Lama is conveying (except maybe his definition of success). I only disagree that such character traits would be limited to 1-2% of the population as suggested by the OP.
IMO..His very short and general description is closer to INFP and ISFJ than it is to INFJ.
NO TYPE BASHING INTENDED:

Ok, no offense, INFPs are inspirational and do "think-outside the box", but the follow- through needed to change the world....well, sometimes not sooo much of that.

And ISFJ? You've got to be kidding, ISFJs are Guardians, they follow conventional wisdom, trust authority, tow the line and preserve the past....a new future is what we need, not a repeat of the past.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am talking about a global human consciousness, nothing, and I mean NOTHING separates us from each other more than religion.

And nationalism.....hmmmm.....how many millions of people have died in wars simply because they live on a different piece of soil than their "enemy"?

Racism.....I don't even need to comment on this

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
We need to become more "Species-Centered". We need to remove barriers that we, as a species, have erected to separate ourselves from each other: religion, racism and nationalism come to mind.
Agree but I hope by 'species centred' we don't become concerned with our species only because we already have total disregard for nature, animals and the huge impact we have on this planet even if Global warming wasn't man made.

We just need to use our damn brains, wake up and become aware that we are all ultimately human but also celebrate and respect our differences, cultures and nationalities and be more concerned about the impact we have, the damage we are doing to each other, future generations and the planet we live on.

hippy speech over.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arclight, my fellow INFJ,

Again, I have to disagree with you, not one of these: racism, religion or nationalism unites people. In fact, as I stated earlier,they only serve to separate us.

I am talking about a global human consciousness, nothing, and I mean NOTHING separates us from each other more than religion.

And nationalism.....hmmmm.....how many millions of people have died in wars simply because they live on a different piece of soil than their "enemy"?

All of these things unite people also.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Many have died in wars simply to fight for there country to be free there culture and way of life to not be destroyed and the right to not be ruled over by someone else.

Nationalism isn't entirely a bad thing...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_nationalism

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Arclight, my fellow INFJ,

Again, I have to disagree with you, not one of these: racism, religion or nationalism unites people. In fact, as I stated earlier,they only serve to separate us.

You are disagreeing with semantics. Race is clearly a uniting force. Take the Olympics for example.. You can also throw nationalism in with that one. Consider holidays for religion.. Or recent events in the middle east as examples of religion uniting people.
There is no doubt all that you mentioned can be divisive but a coin has two sides.. I suppose it depends on personal bias.

Two wonderful examples of ISFJs that I will not give you break on.. Lady Diana, Princess of Wales.. and Blessed Mother Teressa of Calcutta. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No, species-centered does not mean that we abuse our environment, we need our environment to survive.

A "self entitled, ego centered-ness" in which there is little sense of responsibility to each other, our planet and all other species is what we have now.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
No, species-centered does not mean that we abuse our environment, we need our environment to survive.

A "self entitled, ego centered-ness" in which there is little sense of responsibility to each other, our planet and all other species who inhabit it is what we have now.
Yeah I never meant to say that's what you meant or where implying with 'species centred' which you clearly weren't but I just wanted to add on that it's important also that we become aware about the planet and other animals also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are disagreeing with semantics. Race is clearly a uniting force. Take the Olympics for example.. You can also throw nationalism in with that one. Consider holidays for religion.. Or recent events in the middle east as examples of religion uniting people.
There is no doubt all that you mentioned can be divisive but a coin has two sides.. I suppose it depends on personal bias.
I am NOT talking about being united with people of your own country, race or religion....deeper, our species. We need all members of the human species to contribute to our own survival...not based on color, nationality or religious beliefs....on our survival as a life form.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I am NOT talking about being united with people of your own country, race or religion....deeper, our species. We need all members of the human species to contribute to our own survival...not based on color, nationality or religious beliefs....on our survival as a life form.
Perhaps it is our destiny to self destruct.. One could present some extremely convincing and valid arguments for such a scenario.

In your world we lose all our individualism.
It becomes a case of freedom VS peace.. It is a delicate balance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Perhaps it is our destiny to self destruct.. One could present some extremely convincing and valid arguments for such a scenario.

In your world we lose all our individualism.
It becomes a case of freedom VS peace.. It is a delicate balance.

No, we don't lose our individuality, we don't become robots, we are ourselves, only not at war with each other or destroying our environment.

I don't want a world where I am an individual based on the color of my skin or where I live.....I am an individual based on what is on the inside....not on the outside.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
It's our destiny to evolve.
Perhaps.. There are no guarantees of this.

Also we have a person claiming (not you) they want the world to unite and for divisions to be removed.. Yet at the same time claiming INFJ are best suited for this and that ISFJs are somehow inferior and useless in this regard.

Sigh.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts