Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ still fits least bad
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in case anyone doesn't know what a deepfake is, it's a peice of software that allows a face to be superimposed onto an image seamlessly, and has been used both in photography and videos.
So thought I'd start a discussion on the possible societal, ethical, or other implications of the existence of such software in addition to other photo manipulation software such as photoshop.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Considering how many people form immediate judgements based on some tidbits they saw online, have little interest in evaluating an information source, and don't bother finding out if what they saw is true or not, then I'd say the implications of such technology can be very severe.

It wasn't too long ago when Trump tweeted something and it had a very real effect on the stock markets, for example. Take that, twist it around and you can manipulate the masses with unbelievable ease in no time.

·
Registered
ENTJ
1,969 Posts
1. Figureheads don't have to exist any longer, 'democratic' elections can be filled with deepfake entities that give the illusion of the freedom of choice(instead of actors that do exactly the same thing, so not much changes).
2. Blackmails are largely invalid now, since any foto evidence can be dismissed.
3. Fabrication of history can be upraded from only being text-based to fully being visual, this is likely to be in effect in a couple of decades, if not already brainwashing kids at school.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Figureheads don't have to exist any longer, 'democratic' elections can be filled with deepfake entities that give the illusion of the freedom of choice(instead of actors that do exactly the same thing, so not much changes).
2. Blackmails are largely invalid now, since any foto evidence can be dismissed.
3. Fabrication of history can be upraded from only being text-based to fully being visual, this is likely to be in effect in a couple of decades, if not already brainwashing kids at school.
True, and we live at a time when people would be motivated to do things like this.
There have been several hoaxes in which people have committed "hate crimes" against themselves.
Plus false accusations are so common, it would be scary to exist in a time where it would be impossible to differentiate false accusation from true.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
There are like a ton of discussions in my country lately about body positivity, stamping of marking fake/filtered photos in commercials by law, they have made a "gold-barbie" price to award the person that gives kids or youth the worst self esteem, besides resently there is a show for adults on public tv where normal looking people; seemingly without having any surgery- show up a naturel for everyone while dating. I havd also noticed that people seem to vote more on talent then beauty then in the past, as if it were a trend 🙂
However there has been a 30% increase in surgery after corona showed up here, likely because of increased digital connections such as zoom, skype, blackboard, etc. Watching oneself on camera can direct focus on ones own looks a lot...

·
INFP
6,346 Posts
There are like a ton of discussions in my country lately about body positivity, stamping of marking fake/filtered photos in commercials by law, they have made a "gold-barbie" price to award the person that gives kids or youth the worst self esteem, besides resently there is a show for adults on public tv where normal looking people; seemingly without having any surgery- show up a naturel for everyone while dating. I havd also noticed that people seem to vote more on talent then beauty then in the past, as if it were a trend 🙂
However there has been a 30% increase in surgery after corona showed up here, likely because of increased digital connections such as zoom, skype, blackboard, etc. Watching oneself on camera can direct focus on ones own looks a lot...
that is nice! I wonder if the rise in surgeries is simply because people have money as well, not going on expensive vacations, concerts etc, so have some saved up by now and burn it on things like cosmetic surgery. I remember when I installed my computer, I think the last one? there was on option where I had to say I didn't want the computercamera to automatically "beautify", I think it might change proportions and smooth out skin? I didn't want that, but I wonder how much one is affected, if lots of pictures one sees is like that, and then makeup which look different in videos I think, people can use covering things and it will look ok but wouldn't in real life, and lighting and angle... if 80 of faces and bodies one sees in a week are ones at their very best, perhaps even enhanced, it is not strange if people feel insecure, wen comparing to their morning faces in the mirror in unflattering light. There is also drawn pictures, cartoons and stuff, where features are often very exaggerated. I don't really think one should proibit, but it is good people are aware and think about it I think.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
that is nice! I wonder if the rise in surgeries is simply because people have money as well, not going on expensive vacations, concerts etc, so have some saved up by now and burn it on things like cosmetic surgery. I remember when I installed my computer, I think the last one? there was on option where I had to say I didn't want the computercamera to automatically "beautify", I think it might change proportions and smooth out skin? I didn't want that, but I wonder how much one is affected, if lots of pictures one sees is like that, and then makeup which look different in videos I think, people can use covering things and it will look ok but wouldn't in real life, and lighting and angle... if 80 of faces and bodies one sees in a week are ones at their very best, perhaps even enhanced, it is not strange if people feel insecure, wen comparing to their morning faces in the mirror in unflattering light. There is also drawn pictures, cartoons and stuff, where features are often very exaggerated. I don't really think one should proibit, but it is good people are aware and think about it I think.
I had that option too on my new phone 🙂
I heavily suspect that on my old phone that option was actually automaticly built in 🤔🤨
On my computer one can hardly tell my face from a doll because of unsharpness, so def. No sneaky prettyfier built in there it seems 😄
But I agree with the money thing except here so many people have become unemployed after so much of the travel buisniss shut down and that has lead to maybe most of those people taking up studies as it has been so hard to get jobs in this country for a long time now anyway...they need more compentence its usually said...but maybe they feel they need to look better in order to get a job since the competition is so brutal...

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah there is the unrealistic portrayals of bodies presented isn't there?
It's just too easy in photoshop to erase a scar here, pull up a chin there. It's not even just making someone look thinner. You could give someone flawless skin, flawless hair, perfect teeth, eyes with unusual lustre, etc. can you? It's like a tightrope between what looks perfect and what still looks human. Sometimes they can take images to the uncanny valley lol.

Interesting trend on cosmetic surgery. I wonder how much can directly be linked to the photoshopping, and how much both are just symptoms of a larger systemic issue of appearance mattering more than values. That's what I had stated was behind all this cancel culture in the other thread, and it does seem like that's where we are as a civilization isn't it? like we live in a phase in society where image and appearance is everything, where people can become reality TV stars and have to do nothing but sit there like a potato looking glamorous all the while whinging and complaining about how hard it is to sit there like a potato looking glamorous for a living, lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts