Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it turns out that fidgeting and doodling actually do serve a constructive purpose. It appears they can help us process new material and give our minds the space we need to determine whether to assimilate or accommodate information. What do you think? Do you find you fidget or doodle? Can you observe when you tend to do it and what you're really doing?

Fidgeting and Doodling may be Unconscious Focusing Tools

The Surprising Benefits of Fidgeting and Doodling

Fidgeting, Wiggling, and Doodling, 3 reasons to encourage these 'naughty behaviors' in school

The Surprise Science of Fidgeting

Reactions: attic

·
4,956 Posts
interesting :) I relate to this bit:
The researcher speculated that doodling took just enough attention to keep the listeners’ minds from wandering, but not so much as to be distracting. The doodling gave a kind of “mental break” from the task of listening. In this way doodling might improve working memory.
Especially the first about distracting just a little. I do that with other things to, like having something to do with my fingers when watching tv for example, or listening to music or radio when doing various tasks, or reading. Especially instrumental music helps focus when reading I think (beacuse no words to mix with the read, but it makes the mind occupied enough to be content with the activity and not stray)

I think it could also be sometimes, about adding a visual aspect, when there is little visual stimuli, like when on the phone (phone doodles, though I would guess they are not as common nowadays). That that part of the mind might be expected to be more involved, but the activity is mostly verbal, so even though it takes energy, just that area of the mind might want to engage in some way too.

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
532 Posts
Not exactly doodling (I am terrible at drawing), but I found I sometimes have a compulsive need to take notes, even when it isn't necessary.
It helps categorize my thoughts.

It is not exactly the same as "doodling", but I wonder if there is some overlap to it.

Reactions: tanstaafl28

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not exactly doodling (I am terrible at drawing), but I found I sometimes have a compulsive need to take notes, even when it isn't necessary.
It helps categorize my thoughts.

It is not exactly the same as "doodling", but I wonder if there is some overlap to it.
I don't think doodling has to be art. I think there is a LOT of overlap, as doodling, wiggling, tapping feet, clicking pens, rolling pencils, etc. are all forms of the same thing. I don't see how note taking is any different.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Stuff that autistic and ADHD people have known since forever.

·
Registered
11,249 Posts
i do it sometimes when i'm listening. i process better that way. it's not 100% though. i haven't figured out what the difference is between when i do look and when i don't. language is extremely compelling to me - i can't 'blank' words. at the same time, language is a linear thing - only one word can take place at a time. and i'm not a linear person, really. so there are two possibilities for when/why i doodle.

one is when 90% of the words are unimportant. it would madden me to stay strongly coupled to something so empty without any breaks. i doodle while people are havering, and then concentrate on whatever did have meaning when a time comes.

the other time may be when there's a lot of concept organizing involved in the absorption of what's being said. i do think more in concepts and again, following linear threads like language can be disruptive to that. so i look somewhere else and that lets me just decide for myself how to arrange whatever i'm receiving.

on the other hand, i've noticed that i have a concept mode and a detail mode. and when i'm focused on details i look. i also MUCH prefer to diagram what i'm talking about if i'm doing the talking.

i draw patterns and such, not pictures - for what that's worth. freeform grids of little tiny inked-in squares or random spikes, that kind of thing. i like to start with one thing, never lift the pen and just see what happens.

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5 sp/so
1,524 Posts
I use to do scribble "art" to keep my seizures at bay. Back in grade school I realized I had a pattern where it felt like I was beginning to zone out and start to bite my tongue. I would get a sensation like an urge to write. But my hand would just act similar to a seismograph once the pencil hit the paper. Before I would completely zone out, I would try to see shapes in the scribbles and trace them out. Then the zoning out and tongue-biting would lessen. I feel an aurora coming on, I pull out a doodle pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts