Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how does auto-suggestion fare for you INFPs? Does it work? By auto suggestion, I am talking about something such as self-talk to help you get over life obstacles. It can be more than that but that's just an example.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It actually does work for me. Oftentimes, I have mini conversations with myself out loud (when no one's around), or just in my head - one side is more emotional and states how something may affect me on that emotional level, and the other side is more logical & re frames the problem in a more objective light. This sort of thinking out loud really helps because it affirms my emotions while also helping me realize that my emotions aren't necessarily the most important thing in that moment. I think everyone can benefit from it to some extent.

·
Premium Member
15,291 Posts
I am guessing it involves too much discipline and is sorta unnatural (sounds like a lot of work!) << - - - - but that is just for me. It works for others, I think.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It works. Just how negative self-criticism works to shatter self-esteem. I think it's more of a phenomenon that we've studied and learned how to abuse to our own benefit. The effects are easier to implement via "goal cards".

I have a piece of laminated paper I carry in my pocket. It's more of a habit now to pull the paper out whenever I reach into my pocket for something else and brush it. I don't always read it out loud, just upon waking up and going to bed. It started off as more of a negative thing because I would know what my goal was, but never act on it. But eventually I started gravitating towards it, but not in a way that really signals whether or not I'll be successful in accomplishing it. I guess time can only tell.

Psychocybernetics goes into detail on this. Bob Proctor too.

But, in the end, there should be an openness to the possibility of anything working. Auto-suggestion is alright, but if I were more open to it and put more effort into it, I bet it would be more beneficial for me. Meditation works better in my experience. Idk, maybe that's related to auto-suggestion? ...I think?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
@UberY0shi I have not gone far into the book yet but it has mentioned an exercise that was meditation.
Thoughts and feelings are very important. It is hardto do things if you are not in your best state. Over time you may learn by training yourselfthis way, the 'energy' or positive thought takes a life of its own and appears, for example as good feelings, at unexpected moments to help you (without asking for it!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts