·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"You have ravished my heart,

My sister, my spouse;

You have ravished my heart

With one look of your eyes."

What is beauty? Is it an appeal to the eye? Or perhaps an appeal to all of the five senses? Such a definition would make sense as the five senses are of the most immense power.

Yet I am unwilling to rest at such a simple conclusion. If beauty is nothing but a ravishing pleasure to the body, then I have lived a life of lies and deceit, and I have no reason to continue on. No, there must be something more to this intoxication, this state of reverie, this state that presents such effervescence in so many.

My search for the source of beauty has led me down many paths, paths of which only heighten the intensity of my longing for beauty. But nonetheless lead me to a location where the treasure does not lie.

Or does it? Dante led me to the idea of beauty simply being an Imago Dei (Image of God), something that should lead us to the source of beauty (God). Despite this being an entrancing theory, I fail to see the steps for reaching rest in this idea. If this is what beauty truly is about, then what are we to do with the almost uncontrollable waves of ardor and passion that it gives us?

I do want to accentuate the importance of the five senses in relation to Dante's theory. As stated previously, the five senses are what intensifies the power of beauty. O how my heart almost bursts out of my chest when my eyes catch a glimpse of the beautiful!

But this creates somewhat of a hindrance in Dante's theory. As a wholehearted believer in the Trinity and the Death of the Savior, I often feel ample waves of emotion for the incomprehensible sacrifice He made for me, a paltry and pathetic man. Yet these waves of emotion tremble in comparison to the waves of emotion I feel when in the presence of beauty. What enthrallment and fulfillment rests in my soul when I have the honor of holding the hand of my beloved! How undeserving I am of such a gift. It seems as if there is an unfair advantage in beauty, for it utilizes the power of smell, visuals, taste, hear, and feel (please note that I am not solely discussing beauty of the opposite sex--music, poetry, art, nature, etc .) . Nevertheless, I do believe that Dante was on to something, and will continue to dive further into his writings and the idea in general.

I have no objective here. I have no firm stance on anything. In fact, I am not even sure of the purpose in writing this. But I do believe that there is some benefit (however small or large) in discussing these feelings and thoughts.

Lastly, I am writing this in the INFP forum as I, and INFP, know that most (if not all) the other types would read this and fail to understand the psychology and fervor of it all.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey,

Welcome to the PerC forum. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Because I could find neither a question nor an ask for opinion; I assume you're just making a statement.

Wishing you well,

-dlb

·
Registered
3,734 Posts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts