Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
I remember the first time I found out about introversion. It was a huge enlightenment. Up until then, I thought I was broken. I grew up in an extroverted environment, and after being told so many times I need to go out and socialize 24/7, people being concerned when I was quiet and minding my own business, I was sure I was broken. Nothing made sense and I felt so alone. I only dreamed of a quiet world, and I ran into this concept. It was wonderful to realize, I am just me--unbroken.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,601 Posts
There is a certain importance to silence that many people underestimate. I probably could not live and function without it. I love the illustrations in that video. They did a very good job of getting the point across. I personally need silence in order to keep sane. Too much noise can be overlystimulating to me. Also, too much time around people is not good for me. There needs to be a balance. Some people don't understand those who need it. It's not always fair that people seem to naturally listen to the loudest person in the room.

It's unfair that people expect others to change in order to make friends or at least, these self-help books seem to imply this. There are always areas we can improve on but it sholdn't go as far as changing who we are. There definitely should be a balance between introversion and extroversion but human beings will naturally have biases. It is just in our nature. Extroverts and introverts can potentially work together to do great things. A person who is introverted should not try to be an extrovert and an extroverted person should not try to be an introvert. We can attempt to understand that we have our differences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts