Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I have dealt with type 8 people, principally my father, they seem to have a very good control of their voice tone to express opinions, agreements, disagreements or when they challenge people, defend themselves, or when they want to control or lead them. It seems to be one of his, and other 8s in my life, biggest tools for assertion.

For you eights, are you very aware of your voice tone and you're capable to manage it for its maximum development? What other physical factors such as facial expressions, are you good at using them to express your ideas?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes I think a person's tone of voice says a lot about their opinion as a whole. If someone starts shouting at me I will immediately lose respect for them and their opinion. If someone can talk to me and express their honest opinion without feeling intimidated and maintaining composure I will have a lot more respect for what they are saying.

As for my body language I try not to come across agressive but at the same time I don't want to seem submissive either. I will hold my ground but very rarely get up in someone's face or physically touch them or point at them etc. A debate or argument will always be a lot more effective if the parties remain cool headed and respectful.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i only recently discovered the enneagram business, and i suspect being type 8 provides the insight into one of my oldest problems. when i express myself - whether in writing or in speech - i evidently sound super vehement. i can sound intense and passionate about spoiled fruit! :))

but yes, i am very aware of my tone of voice because of music and because of gender stereotypes.

in formal settings i think people who ramble and wuffle into their moustaches (metaphorically speaking) are very unimpressive - it's harder to believe they are actually authorities on what they're saying. so i tend to adopt almost a telegraphic cadence and lower pitched tone in meetings.

i've had lots of people make fun of me (especially when i was in my teens) for my normal sing-song cadence. i'm generally a happy person and i love music - i guess that comes across! i still do this informally socially, but to a lesser extent.

when i'm making a presentation or speaking intensely to someone about something that matters a lot to me, i consciously do not bother holding back the intensity. in an explicit presentation i'll in fact turn up the wattage a bit and let the "radioactive geeky glow" show in my facial expression and voice :D

when fighting someone, especially a man, i'll deliberately pitch my voice lower because women are stereotypically seen to be hysterical and high-pitched. so it's quite an effective weapon to be able to sound absolutely calm and detached when you're seriously upset.

the more i think about it, i'm actually very aware of my voice except when i get excited - then i tend to automatically be louder, but my face is another matter altogether. unless i've had time to mentally put on my stony lack of expression, every damn thing i think is written all over it. it's the bane of my life, sigh.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hahaha, I REALLY need to learn this :) My voice is RIDICULOUSLY loud. And I have very little control over it most of the time. If people hype me up, I just go off on one.

The times I have managed to master it I feel much better for it.

·
mafia mod
13,312 Posts
When I have dealt with type 8 people, principally my father, they seem to have a very good control of their voice tone to express opinions, agreements, disagreements or when they challenge people, defend themselves, or when they want to control or lead them. It seems to be one of his, and other 8s in my life, biggest tools for assertion.

For you eights, are you very aware of your voice tone and you're capable to manage it for its maximum development? What other physical factors such as facial expressions, are you good at using them to express your ideas?

Yes very aware to the point where I can mess with peoples heads, and have the words I say and my body language contradict each other.:crazy:

Reactions: jdmn

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Oh the assertive triad (3-7-8).

8's seem to demand, "you're signing this".

7's seem to imply with a shameless confidence "hey man, here, sign this"

3's seem to sell, sway away with words and image "oh this will work out for you too, for you see you can double what you've got, and I'll be a millionaire, just sign here."

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah, I am aware..most things I say come out like they are irrefutably the case.Not that I try and intentionally make that sort of effect happen, but I am aware that it does. If I want people to support me in something (usually work-related), I don't need to say much. The more sure I am about something, the less verbose I will be.

If I am passionate about something, I will use a lot hands..but face is calm and cool, calm and cool.
Personal arguments, like relationship stuff, i really hate..because then the calm and cool really doesn't work facially. I definitely light up if I am upset, but the voice tone is still calm and cool, so it throws SOs off. They think I am not upset when I am, or the other way around.

Sometimes, when it doesn't matter all too much, it's not about my passion or my love life, I do the 7 thing Scruffy describes above.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a very deep voice and was told often that I sounded angry on the phone esp. when I'm excited about something. I had to record my voice mail over 20 times to make sure it doesn't give people the wrong impression, lol

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
There are two things I pay attention to: handshakes and stance.

I always make sure to give a firm, strong handshake whenever I meet someone. I want them to know I am serious, and that I am dependable. I believe a handshake says a lot about a person.

I don't like to be unprepared. I feel that standing with my feet shoulder width apart whenever I can helps me keep a balance that could prove beneficial in any given situation. It's like a second safety measure. Also, it makes me feel a bit stronger.

And now that I think about it, the way someone stands is pretty important. I can't tell you how much it bothers me to see people slouch. As in really slouch, with their backs curved and shoulders forward. I want to smack those people and make them stand up straight. I believe in holding my chin up and walking with my eyes forward, not on the ground. It gives me an added power of presence.

Hahaha. It must sound like some weird series of rituals that I use to try and make myself feel better. I don't do it consciously. But I do think that how a person carries themself conveys how they feel about themself. And the best thing in show business is to walk like a top dog.

Reactions: Sunn and jdmn

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
All my life people have told me I have a nice voice and recently was told it was radio quality. It's closer to being considered soft spoken than loud, although when in a work-related environment, I harden the quality and increase the intensity. If I'm annoyed, I drop it so people are forced to pay attention and listen while maintaining intensity to cutting quality.

When in a social environment, particularly in a large group of extroverted friends with music playing loudly in the background, I have to pitch it louder or get drowned out! :D

As far as body language is concerned, my gestures are economical and assertive, no wasted energy with wild gestures, flailing hands or hand wringing. If I'm holding something in my hand like sunglasses or a pen, it's sometimes used to emphasize a point but in a contained way.

What an interesting topic. You've forced me to evaluate physical aspects about myself that I don't normally pay attention to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
People say that I have a deep voice and always sounded older than I really was when using the phone, skype, or some VOIP service. Sometime's its more aloof but otherwise it resembles this most of the time.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Unfortunately, my voice betrays my intentions and personality. I think I have a larynx issue or something, because I naturally have a soft and sweet voice, and I find it very hard to physically alter, even though I intend to. In and of itself, it's not a bad thing, but it usually gives people the wrong impression of me.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
People say that I have a deep voice and always sounded older than I really was when using the phone, skype, or some VOIP service. Sometime's its more aloof but otherwise it resembles this most of the time.

I like your voice, it sounds humorous, nerdy and pipsqueaky. Like those little dwarves in the Wizard of Oz introducing "the yellow brick road!". :p

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
Hahaha, I REALLY need to learn this :) My voice is RIDICULOUSLY loud. And I have very little control over it most of the time. If people hype me up, I just go off on one.

The times I have managed to master it I feel much better for it.
i understand how you feel. i project naturally. its not like im trying to talk loudly, or yell, but when im excited about what im talking about i can speak fast and louder, but certainly not aggressively. when im in an arguement with someone surprisingly i keep my cool. i dont know why, but i find that when someone is yelling at me im winning because im standing there quietly while theyre making a fool out of themselves. i rarely, RARELY get furious with people. it takes alot of provoking to get me that upset. however when someone is pushing my buttons and taking me there i will get really firm with what im saying. kind of like how an animals stance can send a message of back off. i like to have a really good reason for flipping out on someone. ive done it about 3 times in my 22 years of life. but then again it could because i loathe the thought of unecessary drama, so i usually go straight to the source and shut it down with little problem.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For you eights, are you very aware of your voice tone and you're capable to manage it for its maximum development? No. Sometimes I think I'm talking loud and people tell me to speak up. Sometimes I get voice cracks like a pubescent boy when I try to speak to loudly. I get laryngitis about once a season. I think I have good control over the tone of my voice, but not the power.

What other physical factors such as facial expressions, are you good at using them to express your ideas? I usually either have an air-headed look on my face (when I'm spacing out), an emotionless stare (when I'm thinking), or a mean glare (When I'm trying to intimidate someone.) My mother told me when I glared at her she felt her heart sink into her stomach, so I think I do pretty good at intimidating.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i understand how you feel. i project naturally. its not like im trying to talk loudly, or yell, but when im excited about what im talking about i can speak fast and louder, but certainly not aggressively. when im in an arguement with someone surprisingly i keep my cool. i dont know why, but i find that when someone is yelling at me im winning because im standing there quietly while theyre making a fool out of themselves. i rarely, RARELY get furious with people. it takes alot of provoking to get me that upset. however when someone is pushing my buttons and taking me there i will get really firm with what im saying. kind of like how an animals stance can send a message of back off. i like to have a really good reason for flipping out on someone. ive done it about 3 times in my 22 years of life. but then again it could because i loathe the thought of unecessary drama, so i usually go straight to the source and shut it down with little problem.
Same - I've done it twice. I'm generally pretty open to discussion until they piss me off.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My voice is pretty deep. I can come across as very commanding when I'm excited, or it can also resonate deeply and soothing when I'm working to calm or relax someone. (although I do acknowledge that a female's voice is more soothing)

I never really put that much thought into it, but I am however curious to learn more about it through analysis. Can anyone recommend good self-help or self-improvement media that focus on voice tonality?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts