Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had fantasies about being in a leadership position where they could enact change and help others?

Wouldn't so much be about having all the responsibility... but rather all the power to help.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always kind of wanted to be a king or something... leave the ruling of the country to some kind of elected council (The most efficient form of government that I could find)... and then here and there I'd intervene with my supreme power xD

To inspire people... to protect people... and to punish people that would otherwise be above the law ^_^

·
Registered
328 Posts
I always kind of wanted to be a king or something... leave the ruling of the country to some kind of elected council (The most efficient form of government that I could find)... and then here and there I'd intervene with my supreme power xD

To inspire people... to protect people... and to punish people that would otherwise be above the law ^_^
It's not quite the same, but this reminds me of Cincinnatus, who twice served as Rome's dictator for a mere matter of days to come to the rescue in a time of crisis. I think it's inspiring, so I bring it up. ^^

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's not quite the same, but this reminds me of Cincinnatus, who twice served as Rome's dictator for a mere matter of days to come to the rescue in a time of crisis. I think it's inspiring, so I bring it up. ^^
Agreed. I think Cincinnatus was really impressive to be able to genuinely help and then voluntarily give up all that power.
Diocletian was pretty impressive too. After he spent 20 years in power reforming the government, he chose to step down.

Not many people can do this nowadays which is quite sad. It is said to rule is to serve, but most of the people in positions of power only serve themselves and end up lining their pockets at the expense of the masses.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Yep. I definitely have those kind of dreams too, actually ever since I was a small kid. I was put into a hospital for a while and then coming out I remember every night thinking about how I would run that hospital if I was in power to manage it, and of course a lot of improvements were geared for making people happy. Back then I also thought these kind of dreams were sort of weird considering that the books I read and TV I watched seemed to imply that kids should be dreaming of something else but managing hospitals, sanatoriums, towns, countries, and whatever else I dreamed of managing. But now that I typed myself as INFJ it all makes a lot of sense :p

In real life I have met a guy who steps up to lead and motivate people, then when he no longer has the time to devote to the outside projects he steps down from leadership position. Then when he feels things aren't going as great he steps up again and puts in a lot of energy for the group. In course of time that I've gotten to know him I came to think of him as my role model. After learning about MBTI I typed him as ENFJ.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always think about it. Have been in situations where I have been the leader and been able to help. It does actually feel as good as you think it does. A few times though I have let it gone to my head and ended up looking like a douche, but all part of the learning process.

I think that most INFJs can do this well if they are grounded and either have one on one, or already know the group well enough.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Slyke do you want to lead for the sake of itself or so that you can make peoples lives better? The latter make noble leaders and the former make tyrants. Unfortunately society is full of the first kind, both male & female versions :-(

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh you know us INFJs. it's all about the greater good.

Mix that greater good with our need for justice... and sometimes we lead nations to dark places, but we're genuinely doing it for our nation's good... not for ourselves. And we're pretty damn inspiring, so we generally can get the job done.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Haha, I feel like a kid when I think about this because my idealistic and moralistic sides take all control but then some realistic side hits me on the head and says "take it easy, it is a long and hard road even if you get to be in such a place". :laughing:

I don't know about others but I can easily identify what is wrong and plan for alternatives but the problem is implementing it, a million obstacles pop up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Has anyone ever had fantasies about being in a leadership position where they could enact change and help others?

Wouldn't so much be about having all the responsibility... but rather all the power to help.
Oh, yes!

When I was a child I dreamt of world domination. After I had 'eliminated' all the 'baddies' through war I dreamt that there were no more unnecessary governments, organizations or structures for the 'goddies'. It was sort of like the United Federation of Planets.

Well, that was quite idealistic. My ass was subsequently kicked throughout childhood and adolescence. Nevertheless, I continue feel an urge to be some sort of 'foreseer developer' somewhere because I believe that through the actions of helping others and being an inspiration you affect the other person and that other person will affect another person and so on and so forth. Even if you have 'fake it' someone might interpret it as 'sincere', and that, too, will affect their being in a positive sense.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I entertained similar ambitions when I was a child, though not in any realistic manner. I would indulge in wild flights of fancy in which I martyred myself to save the world. I was John Coffey in the Green Mile, or Jesus on the cross; curing, purging, eliminating misery and suffering. And all at the sake of my own life; a blissful sacrifice for the greater good.

I have subsequently experienced some thirty-odd years of existence, traveled much of the globe, and dabbled in a number of philosophical systems. My conclusion? There is the way the world is, and there is the way the world could be, but there is no way that the world should be. The world is always, at any given time, as it should be. It cannot be otherwise.

I lost my human-centric world view and the cosmos suddenly shifted; nations crumbled, borders dissolved into the soil, society ceased to have any absolute existence, and the word human came to take on a far broader definition. It is a cosmic farce; the actors, the stage, the props, enacted over and over into perpetuity. Wipe out thousands of people and it's genocide, thousands of chickens, dinner. And thousands of insects? Not even worth considering. Smugly ignorant hypocrisy on a grand scale.

And now? An individual revolt. A leading by example. A passively benevolent embrace. I am becoming Maude, and she says it far better than I ever could:

Maude:That's my umbrella. That's just a relic. I found it when I was packing to come to America. It used to be my defense on picket lines and rallies and political meetings, being dragged off by the police and attacked by thugs of the opposition.

Harold: What were you fighting for?

Maude: Oh, big issues. Liberty, rights, justice. Kings died, kingdoms fell. I don't regret the kingdom. What sense in borders and nations and patriotism? But I miss the kings....

Harold: So...you don't use the umbrella any more. No more revolts?

Maude: Oh, yes. Every day...but... I don't need a defense any more, I embrace. Still fighting for the big issues, but now in my small, individual way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i constantly have a desire to be leader of some kind of special forces group or something similar to the cia. However, i imagine it as like a group of rebels who defend good people and step in when the goverment becomes corrupt. Sometimes i feel like i could drop out of school since il just end up as a "batman" type of person lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
i've had a "grand plan" and have been working on it since i was 6 years old/first grade... and saw a picture of all the presidents and our teacher explained what the president could do. i never thought i could get to the top because all of the guys in the picture were white and their name's didn't look like mine but after obama made it.. maybe it can work. many teachers always said "you'll ether be the president or a government hitman" hahaha...
i dont want to be a "politician" im working to be in the words of abraham lincoln.. a "statesmen"..
i know who i've "surrounded myself" with ... there is a master plan! mwahahaha :tongue:
most of the work i've done, sacrifices i've made, is to help leave this place (my community/country) better then i found it.
that's all i will say..

·
Registered
392 Posts
I lost my human-centric world view and the cosmos suddenly shifted; nations crumbled, borders dissolved into the soil, society ceased to have any absolute existence, and the word human came to take on a far broader definition. It is a cosmic farce; the actors, the stage, the props, enacted over and over into perpetuity. Wipe out thousands of people and it's genocide, thousands of chickens, dinner. And thousands of insects? Not even worth considering. Smugly ignorant hypocrisy on a grand scale.
This really depends on the ultimate question of *why we are here.* It's really hard to be clear on what is worth pouring our lives into when we doubt the reality of Divine intent. If I do not believe in a purpose as having come from a Great Initiator, the Great First Cause, a Designer... yes, God, then all my efforts are futile, meaningless, and as you said, hypocritical. But if I can see humanity (and not insects or chickens) at the center, as being so crowned by God, then I can live on purpose with total sincerity and foundation. It's no farce. We're much better off living according to these priorities: 1) God 2) Humanity 3) All else

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I usually have those kinds of fantasies/daydreams, but then I come to my senses and realize that most people don't want help from others, and quite a lot of people misconstrue 'wanting to help' as pity.

If someone explicitly asks me for help, then I help, otherwise they're on their own.

·
Registered
765 Posts
All. The. Fucking. Time.

I fantasise constantly about being in a position of power, especially when I hear of or encounter specific events that I can't control but want to.

It's not just about having the power to enact positive change, to be quite honest - if I'm being perfectly forthcoming it's also about justice for me. The injustice of the world just makes me apoplectic with rage sometimes, and I would love nothing better than to be in a position of control over exercising justice over those who do evil.

I'm not sure I'd trust myself entirely in that kind of position though. I think I would be just as I am now, only a lot more powerful - benevolent and altruistic most of the time, but if you seriously crossed me... Jesus Christ help you, because no-one else would be able to :dry: I get incredibly emotionally invested in instances of cruelty, especially over vulnerable people. TBH I think under a Grace dictatorship rapists, or anyone who deliberately targeted people defenceless against them, would be burnt at the stake.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I think teaching can be seen as leadership. Teachers have a lot of influence over their students.

I keep thinking that I'd eventually like to become a teacher, perhaps after I have finished my degree. I'd like to teach young children and use my position to help and encourage them and build their confidence and self worth.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
This really depends on the ultimate question of *why we are here.* It's really hard to be clear on what is worth pouring our lives into when we doubt the reality of Divine intent. If I do not believe in a purpose as having come from a Great Initiator, the Great First Cause, a Designer... yes, God, then all my efforts are futile, meaningless, and as you said, hypocritical. But if I can see humanity (and not insects or chickens) at the center, as being so crowned by God, then I can live on purpose with total sincerity and foundation. It's no farce. We're much better off living according to these priorities: 1) God 2) Humanity 3) All else
Why do we need to believe in a God or designer to appreciate the world we live in? Why do we need a 'purpose' surely we give purpose and meaning to our own lives through wanting to make a better future for our families and our children?

From my experience I don't believe that living according to putting 'God' first is the answer. Why should we be so arrogant to think that humans are more important that anything else in the universe (apart from God..)? Surely we are just another part of it?

I ask these questions sincerely I hope I don’t come across as if I am attacking you I genuinely would like to hear your thoughts. :happy:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts