Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a quote I really like from one of my favorite books: Neuromancer by William Gibson.

This quote resonates with me, even if it took me a while to realize it, and I'm betting it does with a good number of my INFJ comrades as well.

More to the point: How do you feel about the present tense? The old Se, that is. I think a lot of people, especially from other Personality types, would say that our Ni-dom preference for future-thinking really detracts from experiencing the fullness of life, all the sensory information at hand in any given moment, and that somehow we let life pass us by when we are so focused on and driven by what's yet to come...

So what do you say, fellow INFJs (and others who have an opinion on this)? Are we missing out on something in life by being ourselves? :bored:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think it 's quiet true . But I did let some of my guard off , when I m on party context with friends :)

Also , a way to deal with it , is to have a hobby that focus on Se, like cooking or dancing. It can relieve this part that need to be expressed in a way or other (it s because we dono how to deal with it , that it made Ni nervous )

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I wonder why I can't easily just live in the moment like so many others around me seem to...but then again, that's probably why when I see something beautiful or feel something special at any given, unexpected moment, I actually stop and take it in and give thanks for what I'm experiencing right then and there. It's so easy to get lost in my thoughts, visions, musings, and reveries because isn't that our default setting? I guess I see the Se f(x) as a muscle I've got to strengthen and flex more, so I've been trying to without being so hard on myself. That's another reason why I enjoy cooking; it sounds so silly but I find the whole process of cooking pretty meditative because I can sorta shut off my thinking and focus on what's actually before me, which is usually a wok filled with tons of veggies and spices that turn into an amalgamation of sustenance for my body and soul.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
I am not unfulfilled.. I don't know how else to be.. So how do I know what I am missing?

I am blind in my left eye.. I have excellent peripheral vision in both eyes but my forward vision in my left eye is non existent.
Sometimes people ask me what it's like and what can I say? I was born like this So what do I compare it to?

Finally... If I am not consciously aware of Se, then how would I know if I am using it or not? I either know what it is or I don't.
Know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hmm, well living in the present is definitely one of the keys, imho, to living a good life. One must be present to enjoy almost anything, and lucid dreaming comes from being present as well :p Meditation is the ultimate of being present, and that is one of the best ways I know to really connect with yourself and what truly matters to your deepest self, which in turn also helps make you more accepting of others, and allows you to give them the time of day, so to speak, rather than just skip over what they are saying. To care, basically.

Anyhow, don't know if that made much sense, but basically I think that, while we INFJ's have a knack for 'future thinking' it is not impossible to be present, nor do we have to always focus on the future. I think it's just easier to do so (especially in such a world as we have now :p) but either way, being present is the best way to live life I think. :p

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I am not unfulfilled.. I don't know how else to be.. So how do I know what I am missing?

I am blind in my left eye.. I have excellent peripheral vision in both eyes but my forward vision in my left eye is non existent.
Sometimes people ask me what it's like and what can I say? I was born like this So what do I compare it to?

Finally... If I am not consciously aware of Se, then how would I know if I am using it or not? I either know what it is or I don't.
Know what I mean?
nicely put =)

Reactions: Arclight

·
Registered
30,772 Posts
I never realized that was an INFJ aspect and it explains a lot. I do enjoy the moment, but it passes oh so quickly and I'm always in a state of anticipation as to what might come next. Having one foot always firmly planted in the future is a disconcerting thing, but at least now I have a slightly better understanding of why.....I think.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I admit, there are days I wish I was any other type other than INFJ. A type that doesn't struggle with Se. But the way I always reason it out is, if I wanted to be another way, I would probably be that way right now. I don't believe I was just born this way. It's all choice, all learned. I prefer Ni, Fe, Ti, Se in that exact order because that's what brings me the most joy and the most comfort in life. If I was any other type I wouldn't even be myself. And if I'm not myself any more yeah, I'd say I'm missing out on life. So what if I don't always fully absorb the physical world full of it's sensory things? I have a world full of imagination waiting for me right inside my head at any given time and it's a heck a of a lot more enjoyable than the real world is. My imagination is my best friend. However, I do think it's worth it to develop all the functions so you're well balanced because all INFJ's need a release from the imaginary/future world sometimes.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
Since any type has an inferior function, it's simply a question of which one, yes? In that sense I feel like I got my priorities straight with S at the bottom, since it's the function I care the least about and N is the function I care most about. It being the dominant function is quite excellent.

That said, I would probably be a happier person with a higher degree of Se. I would feel better and be less awkward. Some days, I just want to strap on a tinfoil hat and hide under a blanket.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
My inner world is far more fascinating and far less distracting than this so called "reality" facade that others seem way too wrapped up in for my liking. ;o)

I probably make use of Se in minimal "survival mode" ways. Like when I have to use it at work, for example. But it's always a drag. Maybe if the "real world" didn't suck more than the tv show named after it, I'd bother using Se more often to enjoy it. :eek:P

Reactions: Paulie

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Arclight. I study a lot of theory and sometimes it really gets deep and now I have become someone that tries not to judge anything.
But that being said, every time that I have felt sad or left out because I'm not doing 'Se' things, I've never been able to change. I don't think it's fulfilling for me, personally to pursue whatever Se things even are because I am not drawn to them. Not all things we are drawn to are good, but they are our truths. And INFJs as far as I know like to embrace and stay with their own personal truths. They know themselves whether they doubt it or not.
It doesn't really get me anywhere now that I think about it to 'wish I was another way' because I don't actually know if it would be better. This is how I am and honestly, I can't think of much to complain about that I won't forget come tomorrow.

ESTPs seem to greatly enjoy the physical world as someone like me does not. I say we are both right because we are guided by how we each view the world and what it has to offer for us. For a quiet, passive studious person like me, certain things aren't beneficial for me. For adrenaline junkies, things that I find meaning in seem just as dull as sports to do me and what have you. So it's matter of perspective. Learning how to find what you can get of life is what I think our purpose is here. And it's obviously not that same for everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts