Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Face facts people every single JRPG is efectively the same game.

Lets do a checklist;

Oversized swords, check
Anime haircuts that cover half a characters face, check
Turn based combat with numbers flying all over the place, Check

The only good JRPG ever invented was Mario and luigi's Bowser's inside story.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Don't you dare diss the giant swords!:angry:

But if you want a JRPG that doesn't use turn based combat, you can try Kingdom Hearts (it's in my avatar). Plus, instead of using a giant sword, the lead character uses a giant KEY! How's that for innovation? :laughing: And he isn't too androgynous either.

·
Banned
395 Posts
Cross Edge is good. Hard as hell, but once you get into it, you ignore some of the dumb characters. Ok, a lot of them are dumb... still a fun game

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I don't play JRPGs either but your first two points have more to do with the anime/manga art style that has existed long before JRPGs, not JRPGs themselves.

I don't really mind turn based combat when it's done right. Neverwinter Nights is one of my favorite RPGs and its combat system followed D&D rules, making it turn based. Of course, the way entering and leaving combat was a lot more of a fluid transition without this annoying screen flashing from the overworld to the combat screen and the way you only really had to control your own character most of the time made it feel less monotonous.

I think my main issue with JRPGs is that, out of the few I've played, there is pretty much no character creation process. Your characters are pretty much prescribed roles as soon as you meet them. What I liked about Neverwinter Nights was finding a lot of ridiculous multiclass combinations and feats to work with and experimenting with those types of mechanics. In JRPGs, you don't really get to choose what you want your character to specialize in or anything like that. I like customizing my characters more than most JRPGs let me, so I don't tend to play them.

The fact that most JPRGs I've heard of are made for consoles/portables and all I have in the way of gaming for now is my PC also weighs rather heavily on my opinion.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Non turn games are too easy mode most of the time. Hack'n'Slash away no brainer.

Well, good there's Dark / Demon's Souls I suppose. Though it isn't much of a traditional JRPG.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
The Tales series have excellent real time battle systems. Hack and slashing isn't really an option in that game, there is a lot of strategy if you don't want to struggle in the lowest difficulty and an absolute must in the higher ones. Granted I've only played one real Tales game but I've only heard good things about the fighting systems in the others.

I only like JRPGs that have deep or at least interesting characters. You're right that there's a lot that don't do that. Probably why I'm so picky. Loved Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy VI.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I've seen enough loli girls and top-heavy 'mature' women in JRPGs to last me a lifetime :p
You're telling me there's such thing as enough loli? Never!

Anime haircuts that cover half a characters face, check
Turn based combat with numbers flying all over the place, Check

The only good JRPG ever invented was Mario and luigi's Bowser's inside story.
Troll thread detected.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I don't play JRPGs either but your first two points have more to do with the anime/manga art style that has existed long before JRPGs, not JRPGs themselves.

I don't really mind turn based combat when it's done right. Neverwinter Nights is one of my favorite RPGs and its combat system followed D&D rules, making it turn based. Of course, the way entering and leaving combat was a lot more of a fluid transition without this annoying screen flashing from the overworld to the combat screen and the way you only really had to control your own character most of the time made it feel less monotonous.

I think my main issue with JRPGs is that, out of the few I've played, there is pretty much no character creation process. Your characters are pretty much prescribed roles as soon as you meet them. What I liked about Neverwinter Nights was finding a lot of ridiculous multiclass combinations and feats to work with and experimenting with those types of mechanics. In JRPGs, you don't really get to choose what you want your character to specialize in or anything like that. I like customizing my characters more than most JRPGs let me, so I don't tend to play them.

The fact that most JPRGs I've heard of are made for consoles/portables and all I have in the way of gaming for now is my PC also weighs rather heavily on my opinion.
This gave me an idea, wtf don't they come out with a fully customizable D&D type building of characters like their games or even NWN-like JRPG? I'd buy that! (Just now I'm coincidentally taking a break from a revisit playing the game)

I have to admit I did like playing the FFx and BOF games once upon a time but now that I've gone D&D games it's kind of hard to go back.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
This gave me an idea, wtf don't they come out with a fully customizable D&D type building of characters like their games or even NWN-like JRPG? I'd buy that! (Just now I'm coincidentally taking a break from a revisit playing the game)

I have to admit I did like playing the FFx and BOF games once upon a time but now that I've gone D&D games it's kind of hard to go back.
The reason they don't do those kinds of things is because of the culture the games come from.

The people at Extra Credits do a far better job of explaining it, imo. In fact, it's spread across 3 videos.
Just click the "next" button when you're done with each, they should be in order:
Penny Arcade - Extra Credits; Western & Japanese RPGs (part 1)

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
The reason they don't do those kinds of things is because of the culture the games come from.

The people at Extra Credits do a far better job of explaining it, imo. In fact, it's spread across 3 videos.
Just click the "next" button when you're done with each, they should be in order:
Penny Arcade - Extra Credits; Western & Japanese RPGs (part 1)
Thank you for the links :) Well, I can't disagree that the truth does make sense. Still, I have to shake my fist at reality for ruining what could be in this case. XD

1 - 16 of 16 Posts