Personality Cafe banner

The Problem with Mumbling

[INTP] 
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SoulScream 
#1 ·
I am constantly exhorted for mumbling in conversations. Do you guys mumble a lot and if so what are your ways of dealing with it. I think I mumble because I don't want people not in an immediate conversation to hear me. But all it seems to do is destroy any strength my words have. "I can't understand what you're saying." Any help?

#2 ·
Practice talking in the mirror. Maybe write something or read from a book.

I think this is more of a self confident issue and realizing that the things you have to say are actually interesting. Not everyone will see that in you, and those probably aren't the type of people who are going to be good friends with you anyways(their loss).

You could also start slow with 1 on 1 interactions such as every interaction with a cashier. Take a deeper breath too to relax and so that your words have weight to them(and you don't run out of gas).

#3 ·
I used to, but now I just don't say anything at all :)

Practice talking in the mirror. Maybe write something or read from a book.
I feel like a moron if I do these things.

I think this is more of a self confident issue and realizing that the things you have to say are actually interesting.
I'm pretty sure that's not actually true in my case.

You could also start slow with 1 on 1 interactions such as every interaction with a cashier. Take a deeper breath too to relax and so that your words have weight to them(and you don't run out of gas).
I can do that — I just can't hold a real conversation beyond giving short answers (usually one word) needed to complete a transaction.

Maybe therapy is just useless for me.

#5 · (Edited)
I mumble when I'm doing this weird semi-speaking-to-myself thing. I'm not always sure if I want to say something out loud or not, so I accidentally speak some of it in a quiet, unclear manner. I also have a bad habit of quitting sentences before finishing them (usually when I'm unsure if the other person understands me) and then the rest is just mumbling. I hate this and occasionally I try to make an effort of trying to speak more clearly, but it never lasts. It's one more thing to be self-aware about, so it distracts me from thinking the topic I'm supposed to be discussing. If I'm perfectly relaxed, well rested, focused and confident I can do just fine, but even so I'd like to sound more sophisticated and articulate. I also hate the dialect I speak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.