Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
I don't like these characterisations. I don't protect anything! If anything, as a tagline, I would relate most to 'the intellects', but that seems to be reserved for NT's alone. :rolleyes:

One of the taglines I have seen around that I do like (because I can relate to it) is 'the iconoclast', for those who share my Enneagram type 5w4. It describes me a lot better than anything else, I feel, and also, the meaning of the word is utterly antonymous to 'protector'.

Reactions: hppygrl

·
Registered
996 Posts
I will defend my values when people get overbearing with their judgments and stuff.
I will protect the innocent and helpless from harmful and toxic people. Especially children and animals.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
I will defend my values when people get overbearing with their judgments and stuff.
I will protect the innocent and helpless from harmful and toxic people. Especially children and animals.
Beautiful. I never considered this meaning of protector! I associate 'protector' with protecting that which is enshrined, not with protecting the interests of that which is not enshrined.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
It makes it sound like INFJ are active in the environment and policing like some mother hen. When they are much more likely to be weirdos sitting in their room all day, avoiding the world. It is a strange type, and hard to put a label to.

I do think the type is generally motherly and protective, it is just in an unorthodox and distant way.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
It makes it sound like INFJ are active in the environment and policing like some mother hen. When they are much more likely to be weirdos sitting in their room all day, avoiding the world. It is a strange type, and hard to put a label to.

I do think the type is generally motherly and protective, it is just in an unorthodox and distant way.
^bingo!
additionally, protector also implies a more individual focus ("I'm going to protect you") and more of a willingness to say "I am going to fight against the enemy because they are evil". in my experience, most INFJs reject the latter notion and opt instead for a more "no! we must all work together for a better world!" approach to conflict and interpersonal relations

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
And that's why they're called protectors.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
I don't really like the label. It gives off this "mother hen" vibe that I think is more appropriate for an ISFJ. INFJs don't just go around protecting everything that moves. From what I've seen and experienced, the thing in need of "protection" has to be in line with our values or of some importance to us, etc. or we probably won't care at all.

I think we should change our label to the Unicorns, personally. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just because it hurts me to see others hurt doesn't mean I'll jump in to save them.

No.

I'd rather say Interpreters.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
INFJ - The Processers

. . .would fit in a lot of cases, too.

A typical social day would be like :

"Here are 1600 details about what you see and hear with the person you're talking with, the room around you, and what you're feeling while taking all of the information in.
Here you go, and in four minutes, there will be another person with 1400 more for you." :unsure:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wonder if there is a word to describe one who feels protective over something, but does not act on it because they feel equally protective of the other side?

For my own part, I jump to protect anything I see that needs it. Sometimes I am a little too quick to do so. Sometimes they don't need protection and my efforts make them feel as though I don't think they can do it themselves. Really, It's not that I don't think they can. It's that I move before I get the chance to think it through to that level.

But I seem to have uncontrolled energy in a lot of respects, so I don't really consider this protectiveness a fundamental thing for the INFJ type as a whole.

INFJs seem to be more Defenders Of Their Own Beliefs than the altruistic protectors they're portrayed as, myself included, of course.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Have those of you who disagree with the title ever faced a situation where you've felt you had to protect somebody? I can't see how anyone could face that and not see exactly why that's who we are. In any situation where somebody I love is in trouble I will become that situations end. No matter what. Whether I have to talk a person down or literally tear the door off a man's house I will do everything I have to do to keep my people safe.

I know full well that other types will behave the same. I know full well that they may even be more capable than we are. But they will never embody it in the same way.

·
SAY MY NAME
INTJ
8,476 Posts
Have those of you who disagree with the title ever faced a situation where you've felt you had to protect somebody? I can't see how anyone could face that and not see exactly why that's who we are. In any situation where somebody I love is in trouble I will become that situations end. No matter what. Whether I have to talk a person down or literally tear the door off a man's house I will do everything I have to do to keep my people safe.

I know full well that other types will behave the same. I know full well that they may even be more capable than we are. But they will never embody it in the same way.
This is very true, I have often felt like this. But it's a subjective thing, it depends on what you understand 'protector' to mean. For me, foremost, it evokes images of a defender of the status quo, and that's not how I see myself. The other definitions of protector some have shared here are just as valid as my own though. Maybe it would be good if we could create custom titles.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is very true, I have often felt like this. But it's a subjective thing, it depends on what you understand 'protector' to mean. For me, foremost, it evokes images of a defender of the status quo, and that's not how I see myself.
Nor me, certainly. Do you know why it suggests that to you? It's not something that would ever cross my mind and I'm intrigued to try to work out where the association comes from - if it's perhaps a cultural thing I've never been exposed to.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts