Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inevitably, if you want to know the purpose of life you will have to look into religion and philosophy. All the great thinkers of history have walked on this well worn path.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I'm leaning more towards the idea that it is the structure of school and it's learning methods that is making me miserable, because of its extreme inflexibility.
This, couldn't get any truer.

College on the other hand, gives more advantage though procrastination always kicks in so a strong will is needed sometimes.

Well, what can I say, you've come a very long way. Just keep on following your curiosity, live and let live.

·
Banned
174 Posts
@Paphorial Hello. I think I can relate quite well. I'm only in my first year of university and doing science, as I've almost always wanted to become a doctor (albeit with additional familial pressure). But I don't always particularly enjoy it; it just feels like work. Medicine and science are not important to me as they used to be because I realised that nothing is important. I too keep flitting among architecture, psychology, and medicine, dentistry, even law. I also have many interests like you, and am fascinated by mysticism (less so theology) and philosophy, and visual/literary art.

We're young (though I'm much younger) and so I think the best thing is to keep our options open for opportunities or life-changing experiences that may occur later and that may induce us to change our minds. The only question is how does one keep their options open doing the same things they were doing for a long time when it is so difficult to do those things (like studying in a formal academic setting for you, and doing science for me). I feel that inevitably we will come to a point where we must just chug along blindly, just to keep options open.

So what is important? It is subjective as you know. For me, it is determining this fundamental 'Truth' that we call God because we believe it exists apart from the cosmos and created everything, but in reality it is within us and everything else, and can only be found when one is the stillest and least mobile thing, in a physical, mental and spiritual sense. For in utter stillness may one find this 'Zen' in absolute present moment, when time is no longer a succession of moments of the present as in a timeline but one moment, I suppose, and one's view of history and the future changes. To achieve this one meditates, contemplates, the way the ancients used to do it (and not today in our segmented world, where yoga for example is no longer meditation on the only 'One'). This way, you see God to believe in God, rather than believing in God to see It only after death (and as the more fundamentalist/theological people do) which is more ideal for people who 'want to live normal lives' and follow the prophets who have seen It. The most fitting method of achieving this in our contemporary world is probably the Abrahamic method, in which they stayed in this society but at the same time connected themselves to 'God' (rather than secluding themselves) more so through kindness than asceticism, as both of these render within one's mind a view of the transcendent (which is actually also immanent!)

ANYWAY, you also say that religion and philosophy leaves a gap to be filled, but remember that you are studying these disciplines and not 'practicing'. All the prosperity and happiness of this world rests on balance, and balance is the 'way to God', whence one does not separate good and evil and other dualities, but looks beyond them, and simultaneously between them, like that thin ambiguous strip between black and white. I suggest reading the discourses of Rumi, Ibn Arabi (Contemplation of the Holy Mysteries and the Bezels of Wisdom), and William Blake (the Marriage of Heaven and Hell, which I've yet to read), and Spinoza (Ethics) among others.

I used to take drama but became too shy and brooding all of a sudden. Why don't you try acting? It seems to have struck a chord with you.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The purpose of life is subjective. Purpose leads to action. Action that doesn't align to ones personal values require a great deal of motivation to do. Actions that align closely with personal values you are inspired to do.

The problem I see is that if often we don't really know what values are and what our value are, and we make the assumption that the action of working in a career will align with those values.

There's two types of values. Idealized values are the values that we tell ourselves we value. Then there are demonstrated values. Those are values that our actions demonstrate. Someone tells you that their a kind person but then you see their girlfriend with a black eye. Do we believe that person's idealized values or the values that from his actions?

You can determine your demonstrated values by observation. What do you fill your space with? What do you fill your time doing? How closely do your demonstrated values align with your idealized values?

If you're into research here are my recommendations to start:

John DiMartini - values and how they affect decisions
Brene Brown - vulnerability and connection
Dan Gilbert - happiness and why we are happy
Daniel Pink - what motivates us

start studying up on how the brain produces dopamine when we do something new like meet a new girl/guy, start taking classes theology or decide to do acting or whatever is the interest of the moment and how quickly that good feeling wears off.

start looking into the five critical needs (Certainty, Uncertainty, Significance, Connection, Growth and Contribution). Figure out what need your new interests are trying to meet and figure out why that need is currently unmet in your life.

If you want to free yourself, then first figure out how your brain is showing you just one interpretation of the universe because that's the first trap you have to free yourself from.

·
Registered
100 Posts
there will be much better\clearer words and advise from ppl further along in understanding, howsoever, i have stumbled thru and survived as long or more than most.
right now you are in burn-out mode.. nothing will seem right. this has to pass w/time. has to.
now days there is online schools\classes/learning, such that one can set your own pace and schedule.
i would think thats better way. (arbitrary BS runs the world)
there will be times when you get burn-out, have to take sabbatical, for some weeks,
i keep back enough cash (save) to get by for months im not working.
simple busy work is really fine, possibly ideal, then persue greater ideas on your own time/dime.
moods change.. allow some flexibility, and be honest/upfront about it.
peace, best -R

·
Banned
361 Posts
Which is why I chose Theology in the first place. Religion and Philosophy is not enough though. I feel that they are trying to fill a gaping hole which requires more than that to heal
There is only one thing that can adequately fill that hole and it Jesus Christ. Not religion or theology or psychology or values or anything else. He is the author of life.

·
Banned
174 Posts
There is only one thing that can adequately fill that hole and it Jesus Christ. Not religion or theology or psychology or values or anything else. He is the author of life.
But the question is, what IS Jesus Christ? What is the Son and the Father and the Holy Ghost? Are they the representation of the splitting of light into three lines, one forward, one right and one left? And the similarly-shaped fleur de lys of Christian imagery? What does it stand for? Three beings, three concepts....Jesus was an angelic being, but he was simply a man who descended so deeply into the unconscious, into stillness, that he could perceive things as reality, as they really are, and not in the illusion most people see things through. Like the other prophets too, but one of the best, of the most transcendent (and so also of the most lowly and humble, not removed from us like a God, an icon, but more with us, within us, than we know). If he is the Son then maybe he is the Self that is the extension of the Reality that we call God, which is the Father (as we are a drop or wave in an ocean) and the Holy Ghost the permeating water, energy that connects these two concepts (God and creation) which are actually one and the same, three concepts and beings ever connected for eternity, out of the bounds of time, as one Existence...

·
Registered
100 Posts
the christos is something of a mystery, rather a fascinating character study. let the conventions of western reformed church to the side. did he have perfect genetics, or perfect learning and modification?? there was a study a while back, i cannot recall just now the title or book, the point being that thought/concousness is related to arrows lined up, ---> ----> <----- and the degree of misalignment in them, from each being to the next, is a function of the variables in how the arrows (as representing neurons) , line up or misalign. i rather like this representative picture. [religion and politics id rather not get into] but those with the eyes to see, and the ears to hear, very cool.

·
Registered
897 Posts
@Paphorial : the moment I read your OP, I feel somewhat relieved that I am not alone, even among many INFPs here, there are honestly only very few INFPs here that I can truly relate in much deeper and detailed levels, and you are among those few.
all your descriptions about: defying society's expectations, the lack-of-focus yet multi-interests , and especially the fascination with fantasy-related things (you mentioned "middle-age fantasy") , etc etc.

the only difference is, I'm further down a bit down the road than you (I'm 30 yrs old),
and this so-called "real-world" life is not getting any easier for me.
it's frustrating. very frustrating & depressing, and I'm still planning & devising a plan to quickly get-out from my super 'stuck/trapped' dilemma here, most especially by the 'practical, business-minded' society, and parents' expectations here (I'm from Indonesia).

Btw, if you think religions and philosophy, and even Jesus etc is 'The Answer' , then I invite you to first be Open-minded, and then to humbly to look up for things like: Astral Project, Near Death Experience, Ascension .
you will then see that religions and philosophy is just a 'smaller' part of the much BIGGER (and more amazing and mind-boggling) mysteries in our life & universe & Existence, and I'm very sure you will find it very interesting!

and also, I invited you to look at some of my threads here, perhaps you can also relate a lot:

- http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/84608-real-world-vs-very-vivid-humans-imaginations-fantasy-creations-world.html
- http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/58379-i-seriously-hate-concept-life-working-get-money.html
- http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/72779-mystery-humans-imaginations.html
- http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/44553-i-dont-belong-real-world.html

thank you.
-warm regards from Indonesia-
I've added you as Friend btw, since I can relate a lot with you & what you said. thank you~

Reactions: machood and Libubu
1 - 12 of 12 Posts